SUMMER

Last Days
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

JUNE 2014

Before the summer break, I was a little busy with the last minute requirements for the semester and to be very honest, my brain has been so tired and drained that needs to be freshen up. So when my friends from med school invited me to one of the most popular hotel in Bali, I instantly agreed.

A day before our trip, I was informed that our reservation was good for a week and since the tickets have already been bought, there's no way I could back out now. Upon hearing the information, I hurriedly went to the hospital to inform Dr. Lee that I'll be gone for a week.

"Oh, I see. I think you deserve a break, I know how hard med school's final exams are. So, I'm good with it. Enjoy." I bowed at her before taking my leave, but I was stopped in my tracks when I remembered this matter that has been hindering me from fully getting excited about our trip,

"Hmm, Chaeyoung's going to be fine, isn't she?" I asked her.

She just nodded and warmly smiled at me, "Yes. After all Jeongyeon's back from her leave of absence. She knows her best."

Before going back home, I decided to visit and tell Chaeyoung about my absence first. And as I entered her room I heard her talking to, from my guess, Jeongyeon.

"So, you're finally back." Her voice sounds bitter, so I take a peek at her and saw her brows raised as high as her hairline and arms crossed in front of her chest.

Jeongyeon who continues to fix her dextrose answered "Well, I am. Did you miss me?"

Chaeyoung just scoffed and rolled her eyes "Who'll ever miss you? No one. Okay?"

Unfazed with her tone, Jeongyeon just shrugged her shoulders. "Okay." then she adds, "I heard you gave the intern a headache, huh?"

"I did not. He's actually the headache. He's no fun. He's worse than you." she quickly responds. "I can't even choose who to dislike more, you or him." she says with her ridiculous thinking face.

I bite my lip. I don't think it'll even matter to her if I'll be gone for a week or even a month.

So I decided to just leave the room quietly.

I guess, it'll be nice to have a week away from that evil girl.

 

Bali is so damn beautiful. This, I bet is the best summer I have ever had.

That is what I felt for the first two days.

We're now here for the fourth day, and damnit, I feel somewhat lonely. Which absolutely should not be the case since the bunch I am with is the most fun, awesome and active one. The people I'm with are the exact ingredients someone needed to have a thrilling vacation.

However, I still found myself typing a how is she? on my phone sending the message to Seulgi noona. And as if to aggravate my worry, Seulgi noona seemed to forget how to use her phone since I haven't received a reply from her in two hours now.

"What the are they doing?" I muttered almost angrily. And it looks like my uneasiness is clearly visible on my face as Yoo Jung asks me with her concerned face "Hey, is there anything wrong?"

I immediately shake my head and poke the inside of my cheek, "Uh, no. I just wonder how are the patients doing."

She tilts her head and stares at me "So, you're thinking about them while you're with us?" she then pouts and adds, "That kind of hurts, huh."

I was taken aback for a moment, "That's not it."

She then gave me a smile "I was just kidding. I know you'll always choose us over them, after all we'll live longer than them." she giggles as if there's something humorous with what she said and there, she stood and took her leave.

I just stare at her retreating figure, unable to believe the words that just come out .

I guess, Chaeyoung isn't evil at all compared to Yoo Jung.

 

The vacation ended in just a blink of an eye and again, I'll be back in the hospital to render the hours of service I needed for my internship.

And compared to when I'm preparing for Bali, I feel more exhilarated now that I'm fixing my hair as I prepare for my shift in the hospital.

"So, is there a beach in the hospital right now?" Somi, my sister, asked when she found me whistling in front of the mirror.

I laugh at her "What are you talking about?"

She just shrugged her shoulders "I just don't get what's so exciting about going to the hospital, I mean, you're not really the most passionate med student ever. So, I'm wondering what's making you so frenzied about taking your shift." she narrows her eyes at me, as if trying to analyse what the is wrong with her brother.

I walk to her and ruffle her hair "What are you talking about? I'm not excited." I defend myself, but still failed to hide the big grin on my face.

 

I knock twice at her door, before finally letting myself in.

And there she is, reading a magazine while chewing the peeled apple she got from her bedside.

I cleared my throat, "So, how have you been?" I inquire, trying to build a lively atmosphere between us. She takes a quick glance at me and a small smile, "Never been great."

I just my lips and lower my head to hide the disappointment I believe is plastered on my face.

Oh. Okay, why do I feel a pang in my chest? This is ridiculous.

Just then, the hospital phone rings which she most excitedly picked up. "Hello?" she said.

I just watch her face lit up more and more as her head furiously.

"Okay, I'll be there." she then hangs up the phone and attempts to stand until I stop her from her tracks.

"Where are you going?" I asked her while gripping onto her wrist.

She takes her hand back and answered "So-won's room. I'm going to play the newest video game I bought."

I almost let her pass before I get back to my senses, and block her way, "But... she doesn't know how to play. Neither does Seulgi noona."

"Oh, it's Mingyu-ah. We can't play here since Jeongyeon is stricter than a principal." she explained before heading out.

What the hell? Am I forgotten here?

 

My mood has completely been wrecked, it has been an hour since she went to So-won's room to play with Mingyu and here I am, staring blankly at the procedure Dr. Lee is teaching me.

The , Mingyu, you're supposed to be working instead of playing some games. Should I tell Dr. Song about this?

My trail of thoughts was cut when a notebook fell, and there I saw Jeongyeon.

"Sorry, Dr. Lee. I'm just here to ask for your permission. So-won wants to go to the zoo, will she be okay?" she asked after picking up the notebook.

"Ohh, she said she wants to?" Dr. Lee wonders in pure amusement. Jeongyeon just simply nods her head.

Dr. Lee thinks for a minute, "Check her condition first. If everything's normal, I don't think there should be any problem." she paused for a moment, "Who'll be with her?"

"Oh, it's me, Mingyu-ah, Seulgi-ah and if you'll allow as well, Chaeyoung."

My eyes widen at the mention of her name.

"Really? Well, that will be nice." Dr. Lee smiled.

I went out of the lab with a still stunned face. What the ? They have their plans. Before I could even go deeper in my thoughts, Jeongyeon snapped me out of it.

"So, you're the intern?" I lift my sight at her and just nodded.

"I'm Jeon Jungkook. Nice to meet you." I bowed.

She did the same "I'm Yoo Jeongyeon, the nurse of So-won and Chaeyoung. So, I want to firstly apologize for whatever tricks she has done to you."

I just shake my head earnestly, "No, it's fine. I'm already used to it."

She just chuckles a little "She's nice despite the rudeness she's showing. I bet you already know that since you've been with her for months now."

I didn't even realize that we're already in front of So-won's room, and I just trailed behind her as she walks in.

"Okay, time to go back to your room." Jeongyeon announced.

Chaeyoung, as if not hearing anything, just continues the rapid movement of her fingers as she tried to kill her opponent, Mingyu.

"Did you not hear what I say?" she threatens. And there, Seulgi noona blocked the view of the two, which earned a growl from Chaeyoung, "Unnie!" she shouts.

"That's enough for today. You have to take your medicines. Okay?" she warmly speaks and grabs the remote from her hand.

Chaeyoung pouts and takes the space beside So-won on the bed.

"By the way, what did Dr. Lee say?" Seulgi asks Jeongyeon, which cause Chaeyoung and So-won to instantly snap their heads at Jeongyeon, anticipating an answer.

"Well, it's good--" upon hearing this unfinished sentence the two cheered ever so loudly.

Jeonyeon immediately shuts the two down. "In one condition, you should rest for the whole day so that you two will be in good shape tomorrow."

The two just nod their heads excitedly. Just then, thank God, Seulgi noona finally thought of inviting me.

"Do you want to come, Jungkook?"

. Thank you so much for asking.

But before I could even answer, Chaeyoung beats me to it. "He doesn't want." she answered, eyes glued at the story book So-won is reading.

She then continues, "He might have some other plans with his friends. Let's not include him."

I furrowed my brows at her. Where the did she get that idea?

"But, he may not have any for tomorrow." Seulgi noona, for the second time, saved my life.

Chaeyoung then chuckles, tearing her eyes away from the storybook, she then takes a glance at me before standing up, "Let's not force him to come. I bet he prefers to go with his friends, after all they are pretty and cool. And not sick." She then walks past me.

What the hell was that?

 

My shift was over and I was about to go home when Jeongyeon and Seulgi noona asked for a second.

"Don't take it to the heart. If you want to come, let's all go together." Seulgi noona tries to comfort me.

I just scoffed, "If I'm uninvited, then why should I g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter