πŸ’Ž

MIDNIGHT ESCAPADE | JunHao

Xu Minghao could not sleep well lately. He would toss and turn in his bed, trying to find a position that would be comfortable enough for him to catch a few snoozes. But still, it was a problem. A few minutes later he would find himself out of the dreamland, and he would get frustrated and then try to get to sleep, only to produce the same results and a sleepless night. It really was tiring for him. The finals were getting closer and his condition wasn't getting any better, so he had turned to and relied on sleeping pills. But lately, he had to use more to actually sleep. Minghao knew he was getting worse, but he was too proud to ask help from anybody.

Β 

"Dude, you're getting thinner," Junhui remarked one night, as the two boys were getting ready to sleep. Wen Junhui was his roommate for almost a year, but Minghao couldn't say if they were friends. Hell, he didn't even know the boy well (except for his name). All Minghao knew is that Junhui wasn't really a boy who could stay in a place for a long period of time. Sometimes, the boy would be gone for more than a day, sometimes even weeks, so Minghao assumed that he was either staying at a friend's, a lover's, or his family's (he just don't know). These last few weeks though, the boy had stayed in the dorms (Minghao had figured it was because of the finals), and that may be the reason Junhui had noticed his worsening state.

Β 

Minghao did not say anything at first, and adjusted his loose pajamas as he walked barefoot towards his bed. He sat on it, and rummaged through his bedside drawer until he found what he was looking for.

Β 

I can't sleep.Β 

Β 

"I was only stressed because of the finals," he said quietly, that the other boy had to lean from his bed to hear him better.

Β 

Junhui remained silent after that, but Minghao knew it was because the other had nothing more to say since they did not know each other well. Minghao sighed and took out the pills and a bottled water.

Β 

"You cannot sleep," Junhui said suddenly when Minghao opened the packaging of the pills. Minghao was so suprised that the other boy had said it as a statement and not a question that he had to repeat what Junhui said in his head.

Β 

"Y-yes.." Minghao mentally cursed himself when he stuttered. Junhui was the first to actually notice his problem. Nobody had noticed the bags under his drooping eyes and his thinning figure. But again, Minghao dismissed it since nobody had really talked to him and he wasn't close to anybody. He was a foreigner who only knew a decent amount of Korean and always sat at the back of the class (his credits were pretty good though), and after classes he would always go straight to the library or the dormitory, which explains his poor social life. "..but I have my pills."

Β 

Minghao took one and then proceeded to uncap the bottle, when a hand stopped him. Confused, Minghao turned to Junhui, who was wearing a serious expression on his face.Β 

Β 

"I know a bar a few blocks from here."

Β 

"What?"

Β 

Minghao was getting more confused. The boy was saying that with such a straight face that he didn't know how to react. Plus, how did a talk from him not getting enough sleep lead to an invitation to a shady place popularly known for lurking drunks and people dancing on poles? Okay, so Minghao was a bit stereotypical, but he hadn't gone out to places besides his home and the university grounds before, let alone a bar at this time of the night.

Β 

As Minghao was thinking about the negativities of going out late at night to a bar, the boy had dressed up and finished tying up his shoes, and rose up from his bed. He turned to a leather jacket previously placed carelessly on a chair, and slung it over his shoulder. Turning to Minghao, he smirked, "Let's go."

Β 

Apparently, Junhui could not care less if he'll follow him or not, because he was out the door the minute he said those words. Minghao was left panicking for clothing to wear out in the cold air and pondering about the weird situation at the same time.