Chapter 1

Definitely, Maybe
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I don't think anyone imagines on their wedding day that they will be part of the 46% that doesn't live happily ever after.

---

Tuesday's and Friday's are Doyeons favorite days, by far. Her monotonous days don't seem so long, the opposite actually, Tuesday's and Friday's go by too quickly. She gets out of work, and she goes to pick up her 8 year old daughter, Lucy, from the bus stop. Any customary day, Lucy is full of interesting topics to talk about on their way back to Doyeon's quaint little apartment. She always geuinely enjoys her daughter's company, she's smart, quick whitted, sincerely funny...but today, her inquisitive and curious mind only had one thing on it (due to some bratty pre-pubecent boys with a -education pamphlet on the bus) and she was eager to share every detail of what she learned with her mom.

"And then the man s his into the woman's and..."

"Okay honey, I know this little boy didn't actually say s, good lord."

Much to her mother's disgust, the little one just shrugged her shoulders and continued, "Yeah. But what I don't understand is, my friend Rina said she was an accident. How do you accidentally a into a vagi..." Thankfully she got distracted for a moment by her favorite doorman who, by the look on his face, had heard everything Lucy was ranting about. "Oh, hey William!!"

William stuck out his fist waiting for Lucy to reciprocate their "secret handshake", which is just a fist bump, but makes Lucy smile nonetheless.

"Oh my God please, Lucy, stop saying and.... Especially in the same sentence. Jesus, just say like tinkle part or...wee wee or something more cute." Doyeon takes the mail out of the box, closing it with a bit too much strength that has William turning his head -ya, like having her young daughter (loudly, might she add) talking about didn't catch his attention before. "I will literally PAY you all of my money to stop talking."

The doorman's giggle doesn't go unnoticed by Doyeon, she gives the kind man a pleading (pathetic) glare, but all the quiet man can do is wave and laugh as they make their way to their apartment. Aren't doormen supposed to be helpful? Doyeon looks at her daughter and realizes Lucy has frozen for a second a few steps behind, mouth open with whatever with whatever she was going to say next, as if evaluating the situation. She closes it then, and Doyeon is ready to sigh in relief and empty her wallet. That is, until she speaks again. "Mom, explain it. How it can be an accident."

"Okay, stop." Putting the mail in her handbag, Doyeon kneels to be at the same eye level as her daughter - not a conversation she wanted to have yet, especially not in the hallway of their building of all places. And especially not without Lucy's other mother's consent. Dumb ing middle school boys, maybe she will homeschool Lucy once she gets to that age. "It's not the that was the accident. It's Rina's mother getting pregnant with Rina, that's the accident honey."

Lucy seems to be thinking this through for a minute, a little pensive pout on her lips, until the emotions on her face suddenly shift and Doyeon is surprised to see sadness where there was blatant curiosity only seconds ago. "Mom, am I an accident?"

Doyeon is actually in shock that her sweet little Lucy could ever think that she wasn't wanted by her mothers. She didn't realize she was taking a little too long to answer until she saw Lucy's mouth hanging open and tears welling up in her big brown eyes. "I was, wasn't I?!"

Definitely not how she wanted this to go. "No, come on, kid, of course not. You were very much wanted. Completely and totally on purpose. Never doubt it." She makes a mental note to send a text later in case Lucy wants to ask her other mother the same question. "Now let's get upstairs, okay?"

---

She really expects her to drop the subject there. She obviously doesn't, cornering her in the kitchen from across the room, strapped up with her arsenal of puppy dog eyes and a very pittifully sad pout - too effective for her own good. "I think you should tell me the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter