Vows of Intimacy

For the Vows of Love

 

The sun is well past rising when Minjung is woken up. Gwiboon is sitting on the edge of her bed shaking her but Minjung has no will to get up.

“Minjung, you have to get up. The chances of 8th prince wanting to see you are already low, don’t make them zero by not getting up.” she says firmly.

Begrudgingly, Minjung sits up and rubs her eyes.

“Are they almost here?” she asks sleepily.

“They’re a few markers out, they should be here by noon.”

Minjung has half a mind to lay back down and try to sleep more, but she doesn’t. She lets Gwiboon pull her to her feet and lead her down the hallway to her wing. There’s food waiting in the sitting room when they get there and Minjung’s content to sit and eat while Gwiboon brushes out her hair. Gwiboon says that she’s going to style it properly, no braids today, and while Minjung feels weird about it she’s not in the mood to argue. Once she’s finished eating, she’s pulled into her dressing room. Gwiboon pulls out a dress similar to the one from yesterday, but what looks like an attempt at yellow. It’s too pale for Minjung to be sure, but either way she’s not pleased with it. Gwiboon seems to notice.

“Do you not like the color, Minjung?” she asks with a smirk.

“Is it white or yellow?”

“Yellow. Why, are you colorblind?”

“No, I’m just not used to such faint colors. In my father’s kingdom, we dye with pride. You know what color you’re looking at when you see it.”

“You just don’t like yellow, do you?”

Minjung hears Sohee chuckling in the sitting room and huffs.

“It’s hard to like a color that you’ve been told you look ugly in from the age of 4.”

Gwiboon sighs.

“I would love to change your dress for you, princess, but it’s been requested that you wear this color by the 8th prince. If it pleases you, there’s a veil to go with it. That way if he decides not to see you, there’s a chance you’ll wear a better suited color the first time he looks upon your face.” she says.

Minjung feels a little ashamed of herself and stays silent the rest of the dressing process. When they’re finished, Gwiboon has her sit on a cushion so that she can apply makeup and place hair ornaments. Just as Gwiboon gets Minjung’s veil adjusted, there’s a knock on the outer door.

“The 8th prince is arriving, princess.” comes Kai’s voice.

Minjung lets Gwiboon lead her out to the front gate, where she had come in the day before. Gwiboon helps her down so that she can kneel at the base of the stairs. Soon, the gate opens and the sound of several horses entering the space follows. She hears Gwiboon and Kai greet the travelers and then the sound of departing footsteps. Soon it’s quiet and Gwiboon reaches down for her.

“The prince sends his regards but has chosen to retire to his personal rooms. He’ll send for you if he feels up to it later.” she explains.

There’s an odd tone to her voice that Minjung can’t place. She stands and lifts her veil up enough to see Gwiboon.

“Let’s take some of the unnecessary things off and then I’ll show you around the rest of the grounds, alright?”
Minjung nods and follows Gwiboon. Once they’ve put away her veil and most of the hair ornaments, they come back to the front staircase, following them up to the main building.

“This is the main reception hall. When everyone is here, this would be where the princes greet any visitors we have. If you follow the hallway back, it leads to King Jinki’s throne room. I’d show it to you but no one’s allowed in there unless he is in attendance.”

They follow one hallway after another, Gwiboon describing the purpose and permission level of each room. They exit out the back side of the main building to the area where all the servant buildings are. They go through the kitchens, the quarters, and a myriad of mixed use rooms. At the end of it all, they go back to Minjung’s wing and finish seeing all the rooms there. When Gwiboon’s completely finished, they’re in a garden behind Minjung’s wing.

“Queen Junghee started this garden when she and my father were married. They planted that maple tree at the far end when they visited for the first time. All the flowering plants are representative of her children, the eight princes and three princesses.”

Minjung is in awe of its size and for the first time that day, she feels a sense of calm.

“It’s so lovely. My mother has a similar garden at the Summer Palace. I used to paint everyday during the time we would stay there.”

“There’s painting supplies in your supply closet, would you like them?”

Minjung smiles but shakes her head. “No, I’m content just to look today.”

Sohee walks closer from where she’s been standing at the entrance to the garden and whispers something to Gwiboon.

“Minjung, there’s...something that I have to go attend to. I’ll take my leave of you for a little while, but Sohee will still be on guard if you should need anything.” Gwiboon says after a moment. She bows and leaves before Minjung has the chance to say anything, Sohee following her to resume her position at the door. Minjung sighs and starts walking around the garden, inspecting every branch and blossom. She hears footsteps behind her and assumes they’re Sohee’s, until there’s a cough. She turns around and sees an unfamiliar guard standing a few paces away. He’s smaller than Kai (and herself for that matter) but twice as handsome. As expected, his uniform is identical, save a brooch in the shape of a magnolia blossom. He stares at her for a moment, then bows.
“Hello, princess. I’m one of the 8th princes highest guards. You may call me Taemin.” he says.

Minjung bows but doesn’t say anything.

“The 8th prince sends his apologies that he isn’t in a state to properly greet you. If it suits you, princess, he requests that I spend the remainder of the afternoon near you so that I may describe you to him when he wakes up from his rest. He’s anxious to see you but as you’ve probably heard already he’s very shy.”

“Yes, I have heard. It would suit me more if he would simply greet me as he is, but since that seems unlikely, this will suit me fine. I do have a request though, in return for your continued attentions.”

“Yes, princess?”

“Tell me about the prince. Something more substantial than the ‘he’s nice but shy in a weird way’ that everyone else here says. What does he like? What does he do? A month sounded like a long time when I was told that that would be our engagement period, but now that I’m here, I’ll be surprised if I know his name, much less his face by the end of that time.”

Taemin laughs. “I would say that’s a fair deal, but I’m supposed to gather the same information about you.” he says.

“Princess, your lunch is ready.” Sohee says from the doorway.

Taemin bows and gestures for Minjung to go first. She makes her way to her sitting room where the foods been laid out and picks a corner cushion to rest on. Taemin follows, sitting close to the door.

“I know it’s not quite my place to say, princess, and please don’t take offense my compliment, but I’ve seen a fair number of pretty women in my life and none of them come quite close to you. The prince is a fool if he finds fault with your beauty.”

Minjung picks up a plate of food, eager to hide her blushing cheeks. For his part, Taemin seems pleased with himself. He laughs a little as he also picks up food and starts eating.
“So what would you like to know about the 8th prince? I’ve known him longer than any other guard, so I have too many stories to just tell you at random.”

Minjung takes a bite of the cake on her plate, refusing to make eye contact. In her peripheral vision, she can see Taemin looking at her expectantly.

“If the prince knew he didn’t want to see me today before he arrived,” she starts, not looking at him, “then why did he request that I be wearing yellow?”

“The order for a yellow dress was sent along with Kai when he was sent to you here. It’s the prince’s favorite color and also the color of his flower.”

“If you’re the prince’s favorite guard, then why was Kai sent to me instead of you?”

“Woah now, I thought we were going to have an equal exchange of information. I haven’t gotten to ask you a question yet, princess.” Taemin says.

Minjung glances at him, waiting for his question.

“Are you upset because you’re opposed to yellow or because the prince hasn’t seen you today or because he made a request of you without fulfilling his end of the deal?”

Minjung looks back down at her plate. “Yes.”

“Yes what? Yes you’re upset?”

“Yes as in all of them.” She emphasizes her point with a bite. “Now answer my question.”

Taemin laughs. “You’re not an easy woman to please, are you princess? First off, Kai is a much warmer person than I am. The 8th prince may trust me more than Kai but Kai is always the first choice for meeting new people. Second, he was eager to ensure your safety. He was quite close to your sister and wanted to be able to return some of the kindness she had given him.”

Seven years had not made the loss of her sister any easier for her to discuss, and yet here it was the first thing everyone wanted to mention. Minjung turns away, looking out of the door towards the garden.

“Since you’re so opposed to yellow, what colors would you recommend for the prince to see you in instead?”

“Blues and reds. But not the half dyed things you have here. Rich colors, like I wore at home.”

“Such dyes are difficult to acquire here. The prince would have to get special permission to get them for you. Do you still recommend them?”

Minjung nods. She’s not sure what it is about Taemin that’s putting her so on edge, but she feels more defensive with each question. Taemin doesn’t say anymore, obviously waiting for her question. It takes her a while to come up with a question, but once she does she’s very interested in the answer.

“What is the 8th prince’s worst quality?”

Taemin looks taken aback by the question; he leans his head back, eyebrows raised and mouth open as if he’s talking to the ceiling. He’s deep in thought for some time and Minjung continues to eat while she waits.

“I would say his worst quality is his timidness. Out of all the princes, he’s the least known and the least respected, among the people. He’s not a bad person, there’s a good heart in him, but even when he feels something strongly he has trouble conveying it or even making it known in the first place.”
The answer is quite different from what she’s expecting, but it gives her something to think about.

“Why do you ask about the prince’s lesser qualities? Don’t you want to know the prettier aspects that you’re likely to commonly encounter?”
Minjung smiles faintly, finally looking properly at Taemin. “I ask because I’m scared.”

There’s a knock on the outer door and Gwiboon comes in, servants in tow.

“Are you finished eating, princess? I need to discuss something with you.” she asks.

Minjung nods and stands, allowing room for the servants to clean up the meal. Gwiboon gives Taemin a nasty look as she walks by; she motions for Minjung to retake her seat and chooses a cushion quite close to her.

“I just got a message from the Palace of Flourishing Virtue, from the King. He says you’re not to write to your family until the end of the week or until you see the prince, whichever comes first. I deeply apologize, princess, but I’m not allowed to let you write a letter today.” she says, bowing as low as she can.

Minjung is hurt but knows that it’s not Gwiboon’s fault.

“I understand, thank you, Gwiboon.”

Gwiboon sits up and Taemin gestures to her. He whispers something to her, at which she nods. He stands.

“Princess, if you have no other pursuits for your afternoon, I request that you come with me. I know Gwiboon has shown you most of the grounds, but the prince wishes you to walk along the wall, so that you might see the countryside surrounding us.”

Gwiboon helps Minjung to her feet and puts her veil on. Once the three of them are outside, Taemin holds out his elbow for her to hold, which she accepts. As they start walking towards the gate, Gwiboon lingers behind. When they reach the gate, they go up the guard stairwell until they’re standing at the top. As they walk around, Taemin questions Minjung about her childhood: what her interests were, how many siblings she has, memorable incidents, happy times. Minjung is so enthralled by the landscape around them that she forgets to ask questions of her own. By the time they’ve made their way back to the gate, the sun is almost setting. Taemin guides her down the stairs and takes her back to her wing where once again food is waiting. He bows at the doorway.

“Thank you for being so friendly with me, princess. I hope my presence wasn’t too much of a nuisance to you. I will go to the prince now. Sleep well, I will see you tomorrow.”

Minjung bows and Taemin’s gone before she can say a goodbye. Inside, Gwiboon is waiting for her.

“I hope your walk was to your liking. Once you’ve eaten, you’ll have a bath before you go to bed.”

Minjung nods and sits down to eat. She’s nervous now and so it takes her a little longer to coax herself to eat. When she’s through, Gwiboon once again helps her stand. She follows her through doorway after doorway until they reach a room with a large tub in the middle of it. Minjung’s undressed and helped into the tub by Gwiboon and then two attendants enter to help her wash. Though she knows what the bath is for, Minjung tries to relax. It takes a while for the attendants to wash her hair and she’s grateful for the extra time. She watches the lights fade outside and wonders what the night has in store for her. When she’s clean, she’s helped out of the tub and dried off with a long cloth that’s wrapped around her temporarily. A stool is brought out for her to sit on while they put fragrant oils in her hair before brushing and braiding it. Once she’s dressed in her nightgown and veil, Gwiboon leads her back through the wing. Soojung is already waiting at her bench. She stands when they get close, knocking on the bed chamber door. When there’s no response, she peaks in before allowing Gwiboon and Minjung in. Gwiboon relights the small lantern on the table as Minjung gets into her bed, then knocks on the door to the prince’s side.

“You’re to lay on your side, facing the wall for now. When the prince comes to bed, the light will be extinguished. You may lay as you please when you hear the door to his side close. Is there anything you need before I take my leave?”

Minjung wants to ask for her to stay, to give her a hug, to offer something reassuring; in the end, she simply shakes her head and watches Gwiboon leave. Soojung offers a warm smile before she also leaves, and though Minjung’s grateful for it, it does nothing to soothe her nerves as she lays down and pulls the blanket up to her shoulders.

It’s not long before Minjung hears the door open.

“The prince is coming in now, princess,” comes Kai’s voice. “I’ll be turning off the light now. I hope your sleep is restful.”

Minjung tries to whisper a thank you, but is silenced by her own fear as the light goes out. A second person, ostensibly the prince, comes in and after a moment, Minjung hears Kai leave. Though the door shuts, the prince hasn’t moved to either bed yet. She does her best to pretend to be asleep as she hears him move towards her. She can hear him breathing as he stands at her bedside, feel him reaching out to touch her braided hair. After what seems like an eternity, there’s more footsteps followed by the sound of fabric moving against fabric; the prince has chosen to sleep alone. The curtains are arranged and soon it’s silent. As she starts to calm down, silent tears roll down her cheeks. She’s thankful that her bed and her body are her own for at least one more night.

***

When Minjung wakes in the morning, there’s a hand on her shoulder. She’s afraid that it’s the prince, but soon hears a familiar voice.

“Princess, wake up.” comes Soojung’s voice.

Minjung rolls onto her back before trying to sit up. She rubs her eyes. From the light coming in, it can’t be long after dawn.

“Is something wrong?” Minjung asks.

“No, princess, nothing’s wrong. The 2nd prince is coming to visit you this morning so you have to prepare. He sent notice to us last night, a little after you fell asleep. Lady Gwiboon setting other preparations and asked me to wake you.”

“How...how long before he gets here? Will the 8th prince be joining us?”

Soojung stands back and extends a hand to help Minjung out of bed.

“I don’t know, princess. There was no order sent to wake the 8th prince that I’ve heard.”

As Soojung puts the veil on, Minjung sneaks a glance to the prince’s bed. The curtains are tightly closed, though she can see what seems like a sleeping form through them. Soojung offers an arm and leads Minjung to her dressing room. The two attendants from the night before are waiting for her. Her dress today is pink and her few ornaments are all rose themed. Just as the attendants finish adjusting her hair, Gwiboon comes in.

“Oh good, you’re almost ready. The 2nd prince will be here anytime now. I’m sorry that there’s no food out, he requested to share a meal with you so you’ll have to wait.”

She gestures for Minjung to stand and inspects her outfit. Pleased with it, she waves the attendants away. Minjung opens to speak but is cut off before she gets the chance.

“I know what you’re going to ask. The 8th prince will not be joining you, per the 2nd prince’s request. Sohee will be with you, though by the door, and the 2nd prince has requested that Kai also be in attendance. I know you’re eager to meet the 8th prince, and we’re just as eager for you to meet him, but you have to be patient, Minjung.”

Minjung sighs as Gwiboon pulls out today’s veil. Once it’s in place, they move to the sitting room. There’s a knock on the outer door. When permission is granted, Kai’s head pops into view.

“The 2nd prince has arrived whenever the princess is ready.” he says. He’s trying to remain calm, but it’s plain to see that he’s excited.

Gwiboon gives Minjung one finally look over before sending her out. She takes Kai’s arm and Sohee follows behind them. They head into the main building, taking one of the left hallways through to the area where all the princes have reception rooms. Eventually, they make their way to the 2nd prince’s room. They knock and a servant opens the door. Inside, there’s a huge array of food waiting along with the 2nd prince standing in the far corner of the room. When he lays eyes on Minjung, there’s a fond but sad smile on his face. He bows slightly to her.

“Hello, Princess Minjung. I’m sorry that I didn’t give you better warning that I was coming. I wasn’t supposed to be travelling this far over, but plans were changed. I hope you don’t mind my visit.” he says.

Minjung relaxes at his friendly tone, returning his bow.

“I appreciate your visit and hope that the travelling has been easy on you.” she offers.

Kai walks over to the 2nd prince and after bowing deeply to him, reaches out for a hug, which the 2nd prince accepts warmly. They whisper something that she can’t make out and after a while, Kai walks back towards her side.

“Please, sit. Let’s eat before this food gets cold. If it’s more comfortable for you, Minjung, you may remove your veil.” the 2nd prince says, gesturing at the cushions.

Kai helps Minjung take her veil off and then both take their seats. Though all three begin to eat, Minjung can’t help but notice that the prince’s eyes never leave her.

“I’m sorry if I keep staring, you just look so much like her.”

Minjung remembers that it was the 2nd prince that her sister married and suddenly the whole meeting makes sense to her. She does her best to smile, but it’s difficult.  

“I know it must be painful for you to hear, it’s painful for me to say. She was my first and most beloved wife. I asked Ambassador Yunho about you often, how you were growing. It was comforting to hear how wonderful you are and of such a similar temperament. If you’re even half the woman that your sister was, then my fool of a brother doesn’t deserve you.” he explains slowly, tears forming in his eyes.

Kai puts his food bowl down and stares out the window, lost in some memory. Minjung also puts her bowl down, though she tries her best not to cry. Her vision starts to blur but she still manages to see the 2nd prince stand and walk over to her. By the time he’s in front of her, she’s already crying. He reaches out, wiping her tears away with his sleeve.

“I didn’t mean to upset you, princess. I know you loved her very much. We all did.” he whispers.

She does her best to calm herself and she feels Kai rubbing small calming circles into her back.

“I’ve brought you some gifts,” the prince explains. “All of the things your sister was given in her dowry. Some of the things she made while we were married. Anything that was hers and hers alone, I brought for you. When she was....She asked me to give these things to you, if I ever got the chance to. My second wife keeps...I don’t love my second wife and she bears anger towards me. Your sister is the only woman I will ever love beyond the royal duty and she knows that. She keeps trying to steal her things, to try and win my affection, and I won’t....I can’t...” the prince trails off, overcome with tears.

It’s Minjung’s turn to wipe his tears away until Kai comes over to comfort the prince. All three struggle to say something, anything, but only find tears. Soon, it’s clear that their mutual pain is too much to put aside and the prince stands.

“I had hoped to discuss a great number of things with you, Minjung, I’m sorry that I can’t find it in me to do so. I hope you can forgive me. I’ll do my best to return a stronger prince. I wish you luck and happiness with my brother.” he says, before bowing and exiting.

Minjung stays where she’s sitting and looks at Kai.

“You must forgive 2nd prince. He was once quite jovial and warm, but when he lost your sister, something inside him died with her and he’s never been the same. His new wife, Princess Ara, is from the kingdom to the north. I don’t think there’s a tender bone in her body. She’s a cruel, cold woman.” Kai explains softly.

“My other sister was sent to that kingdom.” Minjung says quietly.

“I know she was, princess. Minji told me about her plight.” Kai kneels down next to her to reset her veil, then helps her stand. He holds her hands tightly. “I hope your lot is sweeter and easier than theirs, princess.”

She wishes she could hug him, but settles on holding his arm as he leads her out.

“Princess, the 2nd prince has had your sister’s belongings sent to your wing.” Sohee says when they reach her at the far end of the hall. She nods and the three head in that direction. When they reach her sitting room, there’s four large wooden chests lined up. Kai goes to leave, but Minjung doesn’t relinquish her grip on him.

“Please, stay with me, for a while.” She begs.

Kai looks to Sohee, who nods and leaves.

“I can’t stay long, princess, but I will stay as long as I can.”

She thanks him, and then things go silent. Though she longs to open the boxes, she has difficulty even looking at them.

“You said my sister was very kind to you. How so?” she asks.

Kai sighs and smiles sadly. “I joined the royal guard academy when I was 7. Both my parents had been killed and it was the only place for me to go. They started training me even at that young of an age and it was incredibly difficult on me to adjust. The academy was attached to the palace that your sister and 2nd prince lived at. She was fond of me, as she was of everyone, and more than once she covered for my shortcomings. She would invite me to spend free time with her and would give me sweets. I know she was too young to be, but it was wonderful to have something akin to a mother’s love in my life once again. When she passed, it was like losing my mother all over again.”

“I’m so sorry, Kai.”

At that moment, Gwiboon comes in.

“Kai, the 8th prince has a task for you.” she says.

While there is command in her voice, it’s not harsh and Minjung gets the feeling that she’s been listening from outside. Kai nods to both of them before taking his leave.

“I know you would like to be alone, after this morning, but the prince requests that once again, Taemin spend the day observing you.”

Minjung nods, but makes her disdain clear. Gwiboon exits and at the same time, Taemin enters. His countenance is more somber today.

“So he’s still too much of a coward to see me today?” Minjung asks, once the door shuts.

Taemin chuckles. “I’m afraid so, princess. I promise to be quiet today, so you can just go through your gifts as you like. The prince wishes to know more of your airs and mannerisms today, more than any spoken things.”

He takes a seat in the corner of the room. After a while, her curiosity gets the better of her and she begins opening the chests. They seem to be organized rather well: the first chest is all books and writings; the second is jewelry and ornaments; the third is supplies and trinkets; and the fourth is clothing. Minjung pulls out the top gown -- which has blue, red, and purple parts to it -- and turns to Taemin, holding it up to herself.

“These are the colors I want the 8th prince to see me in. Not these overwashed attempts at color. Full and rich colors.” she states.

He looks at her for a long time, a smile slowly blooming on his face. Minjung feels shy again.

“I agree, they suit you much better. They bring a warmth to your skin. I didn’t think it possible for you to look more lovely and yet it seems reasonable now.”

He stands and steps closer to her, reaching out to her hands.

“May I take this to show the prince? I promise I’ll return it by tomorrow.” Taemin asks.

To her surprise, Minjung hears herself agree before handing it over. There’s a knock and Gwiboon’s coming in with food again. She realizes that it’s already starting to go dark outside.

“I’ll take my leave of you, princess.” Taemin says with a bow.

*

Later that night, when she’s laying in wait, she thinks back to the 2nd prince. Part of her had always hated him, for being somewhat the cause of her sister’s death. But as she feels 8th prince standing over her once again, she wishes that whenever they meet properly, that the 8th prince is as affectionate with her.