Vow of Commitment

For the Vows of Love

 

Though she’s known this day was coming her entire life, now that it's here Minjung isn’t ready for it. Today is the day that her father, King Changmin, and King Jinki of the neighboring kingdom sign a new peace treaty. They’re at a temporary fort built on the border of their kingdoms. Like her two sisters years before her, she’s being given away as part of the treaty. Though the prince that she’s to marry isn’t attending the ceremony, she’s still been dressed in full bridal regalia. She’s seated at her father’s left hand and while the treaty is being read out and repeatedly signed, she stares down at her gown. As per their tradition, the heavy silk has been dyed red and embroidered for weeks in a multitude of colors. Though it’s heavy and a little too warm, she’s thankful for the veil that covers her. She doesn’t want to have to see her new family, not yet. When the final piece of the main treaty has been signed, a new piece of paper is brought out. It’s the marriage contract.

“I apologize that my son could not come to this meeting. He was supposed to return from a duty in the south the day before last but was unfortunately delayed. I have his mark and seal already on here if it suits you.” King Jinki explains.

Minjung doesn’t dare to hope that her father says it doesn’t. She knows that being from the smaller kingdom that they are at a disadvantage.

“It suits me, provided the other details are not changed.”

“She is to go spend time with my youngest son, to see that she is to his liking. If at the end of the month, he accepts her, then a wedding date will be set and you will receive the proper invitation. If at the end of the month he does not, then she will be returned for you and we will have to find some other compensation.”

“That’s a fairer offer than I had for my other daughters, I thank you for that.”

“If it’s to your liking, all that’s left is her mark and your seal.”

Her father’s hand comes into her limited view and she offers her own. Her palm is dipped in ink and pressed to the paper, followed by her father’s royal seal. For the time being, she is no longer a citizen of her kingdom.

“I have made arrangements for them to spend time at the palace closest to our mutual border, so that if she is returned to you it is as quickly as possible. She’ll taken there today. Depending on how things go, you may get to see her starting two weeks from now. I trust that you’ll be sending Ambassador Yunho to ensure she arrives safely.”

“Yes, if it suit you.”

Both kings and their servants stand but Minjung stays kneeling.

“I’ll give you a few moments to say farewell to your daughter.”

As King Jinki and his entourage walk away, Minjung’s mother helps her stand. Though Minjung is the third daughter she’s sent away, there’s still the same tears in her eyes.

“Oh, my precious jewel, how I hoped this wouldn’t be your fate.” she whispers as she pulls Minjung into her arms. “If you’re allowed, please write me, as often as you can. Tell me about everything, I’ll come to see you as soon as I can.”

Just as Minjung goes to start crying, her mother is pulled away. Her father replaces her.

“I’m so sorry, Minjung. Please know I tried to keep you home, I did everything I could.”

Too soon, her father pulls away and before she knows it, she’s being helped into a carriage by Ambassador Yunho. She turns around, pulling her veil up above her eyes so that she can see her parents. They’re both teary eyed, but smile and wave encouragingly. As the cart begins to move, she stays still until they’ve disappeared from her sight. She lowers her veil again and sits properly. Ambassador Yunho is beside her and there’s another man sitting across from her. They all sit quietly, Yunho offering his arm for her to hold on to.

“Princess, you may take off your veil if it’s too warm for you. We’ve separated from the main procession.” Yunho whispers.

“Will it take long to get to the palace?” she asks, pulling the veil back so that it rests on her shoulders.

“We’ll reach the Palace of Enduring Harmony just before sundown, your highness.” the other man says. Now that she can see, she tries to assess him. He’s dressed in all white, save a bright purple sash with a floral design on it. He's fairly handsome for a guard. 

“I’m one of the 8th prince’s guards, your highness.” he explains, doing his best to bow. “You may call me Kai, if it suits you.”

Minjung nods in return but is unsure of what to say.

“If I may say, your highness, you remind me of your sister Minji. I wasn’t yet a guard when she came to us, but I still remember it like it was yesterday. She was very kind to me. I hope your lot is easier than hers.” Kai says.

There’s a feeling of sadness at the mention of Minji. She had been the eldest of the three sisters, the first sent away to be married, to the 2nd prince of this kingdom. She had died during childbirth when Minjung was still too young to visit.

“Please, just call me Minjung. Or just princess if it’s too uncomfortable for you.”

“Yes, yo- princess.”

There’s a silence between the three for a long time.

“Princess, if you’d like, you can lean on me and sleep for a while. There isn’t much to see during this part and I know you must be tired from all the preparations.” Yunho says.

Truth be told, she’s exhausted. For the last month, she’s been learning new etiquette and gone through beauty treatment after beauty treatment. She’s glad that Yunho has been allowed to bring her. She pulls her veil around herself like a blanket and rests her head on his shoulder.

When she wakes up, the palace gates have come into view. There’s trees lining the road, filled with unlit lanterns. Yunho and Kai are chatting about things they’ve seen in the kingdom to the south, but go quiet when they realize that she’s awake.

“You’ll like the palace, princess. It’s reminiscent of our own Winter Palace.” Yunho says. “Queen Junghee came and oversaw preparations for your coming herself. So far as I can tell, I think she and your mother Queen Kyungsil have a similar taste.”

By the time they finally reach the gate, Minjung’s curiosity is starting to finally bubble up.

“What is the 8th prince like? When will I meet him?” she asks.

Kai and Yunho share a look and it makes her uneasy.

“The 8th prince is kind. Out of the 8, he’s the most simple and free, though a little eccentric at times. I wish I could tell you when you’ll meet him, but that’s information he hasn’t given me. He should be returning to the palace tomorrow, but whether he’ll want to see you or not is yet to be seen.” Kai explains. “Queen Junghee has selected a lady-in-waiting for you, she’s waiting there on the stairs. She’s the 8th prince’s half sister.”

The carriage pulls up to the stairs where many people have gathered to meet Minjung. As Kai helps her out of the carriage, they all bow. The woman Kai had pointed out walks down the stairs to meet them, bowing a second time.

“Hello, your highness. My name is Gwiboon, I’m to be your lady-in-waiting.”

Minjung returns the bow but is too nervous to say anything as Gwiboon sends all the staff away. She realizes that Yunho hasn’t gotten out of the carriage yet and turns around to look at him.

“I’m afraid I’m not allowed to get out, princess, and you’re not allowed to get back in, either. We part here, at least for a little while. Keep your chin up and I’ll be back soon to check on you, alright?” he whispers.

It takes all of the strength she has left not to cry, as she gives Yunho her hand to kiss goodbye. She watches the carriage as it leaves the palace, before turning back to where Kai and Gwiboon wait for her.

“If you’re ready, princess, we’ll take you to your room now.” Kai says, offering his arm. Gwiboon takes Minjung’s veil and Minjung holds onto Kai’s elbow. Instead of walking up the main building’s stairs, they walk beside it and up to a smaller building on the left. The first room they come in to seems to be a sitting room. It's rather large and there are a variety of cushions and trinkets laid out, with a small fire pit in the center of the room.

“For now, this wing will be yours. This is your sitting room, that door to the left has drawers with fabrics and other supplies if you wish to follow any artistic pursuits. This first room on the right is the room that Sohee, your main guard, and I share.” Gwiboon explains, guiding her through. They enter into the second right side door.

“Here I take my leave, princess.” Kai says, stopping in the doorway. “I’ll be in the main gate if you need me. I hope you find a to be happy here, princess.”

Minjung nods and thanks him. He bows, then shuts the door when he leaves.

“This is your main storage and dressing room, all your clothes and things will be kept here. There are more rooms for you through the room next to your supply room, for different purposes, but we’ll get to those tomorrow.” Gwiboon says, putting Minjung’s veil down on a table. “What do you say we change you into something more comfortable?”

Minjung looks back towards the door in panic. “I don’t think anything was sent with me!”

Gwiboon laughs. “Your highness, everything’s been prepared for you here. Because our styles are different from yours, Queen Junghee had new things made for you. Your mother also sent some things for you, jewelry and otherwise. Don’t worry, your highness, you’re in good hands.”

Minjung smiles embarrassedly, looking back at Gwiboon.

“It’s been a long day for you, I know. Let’s get you changed and then we can rest and talk for a while, how does that sound?” Gwiboon offers.

Minjung nods. Gwiboon starts pulling off all of Minjung’s ornate jewelry, putting each piece in its place in a box that rests on the table. Her wedding gown is slowly removed as well until Minjung’s standing only in her shift.

“What’s your favorite color, your highness?” Gwiboon asks as she opens a closet.

“Blue. And please don’t call me your highness. I’m not that important. Just Minjung or princess will be fine.”

Gwiboon fishes a simple gown out and sets about dressing Minjung.

“I’ll call you Minjung, if that’s what you would like, but I refuse to say that you’re not important.”

While it doesn’t look that different in Gwiboon’s hands, it feels very different from her old clothing. She's used to long and layered flowing gowns, made in rich colors, that hid the figure; this gown, which seemed to be standard based on Gwiboon’s own dress and the dresses the servants were wearing, is much more fitting, with many ribbon ties and clean edges and dyed just enough for it to have color. Gwiboon seems to sense her discomfort, grabbing a thin silk cloak for her to put on top of it all.

“I know our styles are a bit different from yours, it took Minji quiet a long time to get used to them. Truth be told, if 2nd prince was away and she didn’t have any engagements that day, she would still wear her old things.”

Minjung stays quiet, letting Gwiboon work.

“We can go back into the sitting room if you like, while I take your hair down.”

Minjung nods and follow Gwiboon back into the other room. She sits down on one of the fluffier cushions while Gwiboon kneels behind her. There’s silence while she starts pulling numerous pins and combs out.

“So you’re the 8th prince’s sister?”

“Half sister. He’s Queen Junghee’s son. I’m the daughter of his first and favorite concubine, Lady Sunyoung.”

“Oh. I’m sorry. Is Queen Junghee his first wife?”

“There’s nothing to be sorry about. I'm quite fortunate for a halfbreed. Technically she’s his second wife, but since Queen Mikyung was killed in a palace fire before she had the opportunity to bear children a lot of people quietly consider Jungee the first.”

While Minjung’s glad that Gwiboon is giving her information so easily, it’s only adding to her nerves.

“My father is a kind man. So is the 8th prince. Most people are fond of him and those who aren’t are of little value or quality.”

“When we were coming in, Kai said that he wasn’t sure that the 8th prince would want to see me when he comes. Why is that?”

“My brother is...to put it simply, he’s shy. Part of it is that he may come home tomorrow and be so exhausted from the journey that he simply sleeps for three days straight. I know that engagement periods work differently in your kingdom, but here, the couple lives together for at least two weeks prior to a wedding. The reason your engagement is to last at most a month is because we factored in time to account for his oddly shy nature. Normally the bride can also call off the engagement, but since you’re a treaty bride you unfortunately don’t get that luxury.”

Once Gwiboon starts brushing her hair out, Minjung’s strong facade finally starts to crumble.

“Minjung, is everything alright?”

Minjung shakes her head, tears finally spilling over. Gwiboon stops and scoots around so she’s facing her. She lets her cry for a while, doing her best to wipe both her tears and makeup off as gently as she can.

“You’ve never been away from family, have you?” Gwiboon asks when Minjung’s tears start to subside. Minjung shakes her head.

“It’ll get easier with time, I promise.” Gwiboon moves back to finish brushing out Minjung’s hair. “I know your kingdom prefers braided hair, but here we leave it mostly free. If it makes you more comfortable, I can braid it today, but know that as time goes on it’ll be less acceptable.”

“Will you braid it please?”

“Of course. How long have you been growing your hair? I’ve never seen it so long on someone so young. You’re what, eighteen?”

“Seventeen. It’s never been cut.”

Gwiboon stops braiding and leans around to face Minjung. “Never? In seventeen years? That’s incredible! How long is it when you’re standing?”

Minjung smiles shyly. “Around my knees.”

After a few minutes, Gwiboon finishes the braid. There’s a knock on the door, seemingly in a pattern.

“Enter,” Gwiboon calls.

The door opens and a woman dressed similarly to Kai comes in.

“The cooks have prepared dinner if your highness is hungry.” she says.

Minjung looks back at Gwiboon who urges her to answer. 

“Oh, uh, yes I’m hungry.” Minjung says shyly.

When the woman leaves, Minjung turns back to Gwiboon again.

“Who was that?” she asks in a hushed tone.

“That’s Sohee, your main guard.” Gwiboon explains, moving to sit next to her. “Anyone in the uniforms she and Kai are wearing are part of the royal guard. Kai’s purple sash indicates that he’s a prince’s guard and the waterlily design on it indicates the 8th prince. Sohee’s is pink with waterlilies, indicating she’s guarding the 8th prince’s betrothed. If you two are married, the sash will get dyed a brighter shade.”

“Why is the 8th prince symbolized with waterlilies?”

“Because he was born in July. Each prince is indicated by their birth flower.”

Gwiboon looks like she’s going to say more but is interrupted by another knock at the door.

“Enter.” she repeats again.

Sohee enters, with several servants following behind her carrying trays and pots. They set everything down and when they’re done, they bow in Minjung and Gwiboon’s direction.

“That will be all, thank you.” Gwiboon says.

The servants leave, but Sohee stays, sitting across from them.

“I watched the preparation myself, your highness. It should be safe, but if there’s anything that makes you suspicious, tell me and I will sample it for you.” Sohee says, bowing.

“Thank you, Sohee. Please, just call me princess. I know you all use your highness for every royal in this kingdom, but in mine it is reserved for only the king and queen.” Minjung says as Gwiboon ladles soup into a bowl for her.

“Yes, princess.” Sohee says, bowing again.

Though it could just be her projecting her own emotions on her, Minjung senses that Sohee’s just as nervous as she is. She takes a sip of the soup and is delighted by the familiar taste.

“Your mother sent a cook from the palace along with your things to help you adjust and keep your strength.” Gwiboon explains.

“May I write to my mother tomorrow?”

Gwiboon laughs a little. “Of course, princess. Save leaving the castle and a few other things, you may do or ask for anything you wish. Tomorrow, once I’ve shown you the rest of the palace and the prince comes home, we’ll work it out. Will you need a scribe?”

“No, I can write myself. My father made sure that all of his children, even the half royals, were educated equally as if we were all the crown prince.”

“Wow, no wonder Minji was so knowledgeable. You’re a lucky girl to have such a father.”

Minjung smiles, suddenly finding her appetite. There’s another knock and Kai comes in with a servant in tow.

“Are you ladies going to stay in here a while? If so, we’ll light some candles for you.” Kai asks, looking at Gwiboon.

“Are you wanting to turn in early, princess? I know it’s been a long day.” Gwiboon asks.

“I am getting a little sleepy. Is there a certain time I’m to be up tomorrow?”

“We’ll make sure you’re up before the prince gets home but there’s not particular hour besides that.” Kai explains.

“I think I’ll go to bed when I’m done with this, then.”

“Thank you, Kai, I think we’ll be okay without them. If you want to light the lamps outside the bed chamber, that’d be lovely.” Gwiboon says to Kai.

Minjung’s caught off guard by Gwiboon’s instructions.

“Don’t I sleep in here?” she asks, putting her soup bowl down in favor of a plate of sliced fish.

Gwiboon looks taken aback.

“No, princess. As per our customs, you two will share a bed chamber. There’s two beds in it: one is for only the prince, the other is for you, though he may join you in yours if he so wishes. You’re not to touch the prince’s bed at any time.  If you’re married, you’ll have a separate bed chambers, especially if he chooses a concubine or you become pregnant.” Gwiboon explains.

Minjung quickly loses her appetite, though she tries to force herself to keep eating so that she won’t have to go to bed yet. Though she knows he isn’t home yet, the thought of sharing a room, much less a bed, with a prince who may or may not want her is difficult to swallow.

“Princess, if you’re no longer hungry, you don’t have to eat anymore.” Sohee offers.

With as much dignity as she can muster, Minjung puts her plate down and signals to Gwiboon that she’s ready to turn in. All three women rise. Gwiboon leads Minjung back into her main room. Minjung stands still as Gwiboon undresses her once again. Both her shift and her new dress is placed in a basket beside the closet. A nightgown and a cloak are both pulled out of a drawer. Once she’s dressed again, Gwiboon leads Minjung out through a door in the back of the room into a hallway. Sohee follows behind and closes the door. The hallway seems to connect two buildings, the walls made of a somewhat thin layer of paper with flowers in between.

“Throughout the engagement, you will always be prepared for bed in your room and then take this hallway through to your shared room.” Gwiboon explains.

It’s getting darker outside and though there are lanterns on the exterior side of the walls, it’s difficult to see where the hall is leading to. Minjung thinks to reach out for Gwiboon’s hand, but doesn’t dare to. They soon reach a door. There’s a bench next to the door with a lantern above it. Gwiboon takes the lantern down and opens the door. True to her word, there are two beds of equal size on opposite sides of the room. The one on the far side has a number of curtains around it with another door at its foot. On the wall opposite both beds, there’s a long table with a water pitcher and basin and additional blankets.

“This will be your bed,” Gwiboon says, pointing to the uncurtained one. “Obviously the other is the prince’s. The door leads to his living space. You’re not to go there without him.”

She takes Minjung's cloak off, setting it next to the blanket, then moves up between the head of the beds, pulling on a wood panel to open a door in the wall. She gestures for Minjung to follow her out. “If you need to get up during the night, you can come out here. There’s a little garden and a bench as well, if you’re having trouble sleeping. As long as the prince doesn’t disallow it, you’re free to come out here as much as you like during the night. There’s a lantern in each corner so you should be able to see well enough to get back inside.” Once Minjung’s gotten a good view, they head back inside.

“As I said before, Sohee and I sleep in the room at the front of your quarters. There will be a second guard-in-waiting at night time. Her name is Soojung, she’ll come in to check in with you shortly. She’ll stay in the hallway, on the bench by the door. If you ever need her, just pull at this string in the door frame. It’ll ring a little bell for her. She’ll always knock before she comes in. If whatever you need is more than she can handle, she’ll get me.”

Gwiboon pauses for a moment, letting the information soak in. Once Minjung nods that she’s got it all, Gwiboon and Sohee head towards the hallway.

“If there’s nothing else you need, Sohee and I will turn in now.”

“Can I have a light? I don’t like sleeping in a new place without a light.”

Gwiboon and Sohee look at each other, then Gwiboon whispers something to Sohee, who leaves.

“Minjung, are you afraid of the dark?” Gwiboon asks softly.

Minjung sits down on her bed, looking at her gown. “A little.”

Gwiboon sighs but doesn’t say anything. When Minjung looks up at her, she’s staring at the ceiling, deep in thought. After a minute, Sohee comes back with a second smaller lantern and whispers to Gwiboon.

“You can have a lantern tonight. When the prince is here, you may not have a lantern nor any source of light until he tells you differently.” Gwiboon says.

Sohee puts the lantern on the center of the table and bows before leaving. Gwiboon opens to say goodbye but closes it again without a word. There’s a knock on the door and another woman comes in.

“Hello, princess.” she says, bowing. “I’m your night guard-in-waiting, Soojung.”

Minjung nods a hello to her.

“I’ll be taking my leave now, princess. I hope you rest well.” Gwiboon says, bowing.  She smiles and heads out the door. Neither Minjung nor Soojung say anything until they hear the door at the far end of the hallway open and close. Soojung looks at Minjung and smiles.

“You’re from the kingdom to the west, aren’t you princess?” she asks.

Minjung nods.

“I have a sister there. She’s married to a dye maker. I know dye maker is the most common profession in your kingdom, but it sounds like he’s a rather important one. He makes a blue dye that we use to dye the sashes of the king’s guards. The name is something like lake tears?”

“Tears of the sapphire lake?”

“Yes!”

“That’s my favorite dye! Almost all of my clothes at home were dyed that color. I know all the crafters that make that color, I’ve probably met your sister before.”

Soojung beams but doesn’t say anymore. There’s a knock on the exterior wall and she goes quiet.

“I’ll let you get some sleep now, princess. I’m sorry to keep you awake, you must be exhausted after today. I’ll be right outside if you need me.”

Minjung nods as Soojung bows and leaves. As Minjung pulls the covers over herself, she’s still scared of what the future will bring to her, but she’s hopeful for now. As she falls asleep, she reflects on all the information given to her and tries to imagine what the 8th prince looks like.