Chapter 2

Summer Nights

  

Eunji's POV

“Eunij, you have to come. Do you know how great it’s going to be?! You, Lia, and me together the whole summer with the boys! It’s going to be amazing!” Said Hyolyn, trying to convince me to go on the trip.

I’m still hesitant to go because of Taeyeon. Don’t get me wrong, she is not a bad person at all. In fact, she’s one of the nicest persons I’ve met and that’s what I hate the most about all of this. I want to hate her for taking Baekhyun away from me, but I can’t. There’s nothing I can hate about her. Nothing.

I let out a loud sigh “But Taeyeon is going to be there, Hyolyn. I don’t want to see them all summer. It’ll just be torture.” 

Hyolyn stopped talking for a bit, her mind finally clicking. She didn’t really think of my feelings for Baekhyun. She’s is preoccupied with spending the summer with Kai that she doesn’t realize how much it would hurt me.

“Eunji, I’m sorry. I didn’t know she was going to be there.” She said, walking towards me and giving me a tight hug “I am so sorry. I didn’t think about your feelings”

I hugged her back “Don’t worry about it. I’ll just stay home and you guys go. You’ll have a lot of fun without me” 

“You know nothing is fun without you. You bring the life to the party! especially if you’re drunk” she said, wiggling her eyebrows. 

I hit her on her arm “That was a one-time thing! I could never drink again after that night. God, I still can’t believe you convinced me to drink that night.”

Hyolyn laughed “But hey, you really went out of your shell that night. It was really fun seeing you have fun for once  and not be in your room watching Netflix”

Hyolyn and I spent the whole afternoon talking about random things. Hyolyn is truly one of my best friends. She knows my limits and I know hers and that’s why we get along so well. We know what each other needs and when we need it. We just understand each other.

“I feel like you should tell Baekhyun how you feel. You’ve been in love with him for so long, Minah” said Hyolyn, resting her head on my shoulder.

“What good is it going to be now? He’s dating Taeyeon and I’m damn sure he won’t leave her. Have you seen the way he looks at her? It’s so full of love and admiration, Hyolyn. He will never look at me like that” I said with my head low.

It's true. Even if I want to deny it and say that I am better than Taeyeon because I am not. She’s an amazing girl that comes from a great family. She is loved by everyone. I am never going to be better than her, not even in my wildest dreams. 

Hyolyn stood up from the couch and stared down at me “You have to stop being so negative! That’s what's holding you back. I think you should go on this trip. Not even for me or for your brother or the guys, but so that you can spend more time with him. Maybe something in his damn mind will click and he will fall in love with you” said Hyolyn

I looked at her as she had four eyes. Fall In love with me? I don’t think so. Not even in a million years.  “He’s not going to fall for me. We've been friends for years and not even once has he made the effort to be with me.” 

Hyolyn sat back on the couch “Still, you should go. I really have a good feeling about this. Face your fears for once, woman!” she said, hitting my arm

I winced and slapped her back. “I’ll think about it, but I can’t promise you anything.”

“You don’t have to answer me now. Just do it after the party tomorrow, which you’ll be going to right? It’s the least you can do if you're not going to the trip” said Hyolyn.

I sigh “I’ll go. But just for a couple of hours though. And no drinking! I’m not repeating that night again!” I said, warning Hyolyn. 

She looked at me and gave an evil smile “We will see about that”

~.~
It’s finally the day of the party. I walk out of my last class with a big smile on my face. It’s finally summer break! I’ve been taking summer classes every year since I started university, so taking this break is going to be good for me.

As I walk towards the parking lot, I hear somebody shout my name. I turn around and see Sehun running towards me. “You walk too damn fast! ” said Sehun panting. 

“I don’t walk fast, you’re just slow” I said with a chuckle. 

“Whatever Eunji, I’m still taller than you” He said, poking his tongue out.

I stop mid-track and look at him. He looks at me confused, but before he could say anything, I jumped and hit him behind his head “I might be smaller, but I still can jump high and hit you” 

Sehun rubs the back of his head with a pained expression “you’re lucky I love you because if I didn’t, your would have been kicked to China”

I let out a laugh but stopped as I spot Taeyeon and Baekhyun holding hands.

I quickly put down my head and walk the other way. Sehun notices it and runs behind me. Without saying anything, he puts his arm around my shoulders “You’re okay?”. 

does he know?  I don’t know why I reacted that way. I can usually control my actions when I'm around them, but I just couldn’t today. Maybe it’s because of my conversation with Hyolyn earlier. I still can’t stop thinking about it. I am debating whether or not I should go, but what is she’s right and this summer will change everything?

“Yeah, I'm fine. I just forgot I parked this way” I lied, hoping he believes me

He gave me a light smile “Well I'm parked the other way. See you tonight!” He said giving me a pat on the head. 

I let out a loud sigh of relief and begin walking to where my car is actually parked.

As I walk, I hear a familiar voice scream my name. I turn around and see Baekhyun and Taeyeon walking towards me, his arm wrapped around her shoulder.

Even though a wave of sadness hits me, I give them a slight smile. “Hey, guys.”

“Hey, Eunji! I haven't seen you in forever!” said Taeyeon giving me a hug

“You know her. She always stays home!” said Baekhyun with a smile. 

I chuckle and put my head down. “It was nice seeing you guys. I’ll see you tonight” 

Before I could walk away Baekhyun stopped me “Hey, can you take me home? My car is in the mechanic getting a checkup, and Taeyeon has some stuff to do, so she can’t take me.”

I put my head up and give him a light smile “Sure. My house is the same way anyway.“

Baekhyun smiles “You’re the best!” he then turns to Taeyeon and gives her a kiss on the lips. 

I look away and blink multiple times, trying to stop my tears from escaping. I’ve never them kiss this close. It just makes it hurt even worse.

“Let's go” he says, walking towards me.

“See you tonight, guys!” said Taeyeon waving goodbye
 Baekhyun and I walk into my car and get on. On the way there, he keeps talking about how the party is going to be amazing, but all I think about was the kiss. It’s been killing me since I saw them. 
“Are you okay? You seemed zoned out” said Baekhyun, a worried look in his eyes.

“I'm fine. Just thinking of some things” I said, keeping my eyes on the road. 

After what seemed like hours, we’re finally in front of the house.

Baekhyun looked at me “Eunji,  if you ever need to talk about anything, you can always talk to me okay?” He said with a caring smile.

“I know. Thank you, Baek”.
Before getting off the car, he leans towards me and gives me a hug “ I'm here for you, okay?

I sink into the hug, taking time to feel him and smell his sweet cologne. “Okay”

I know you’re always here for me baekhyun, but not in the way I want you to be.