New Things

Ice Castle

I wear sunglasses all the time, when I’m at school, eating dinner, or watching TV. Now that my eyes are scarred white People become afraid of me when they see my eyes. It took a while to get used to it, but I now I can walk normally and if no one sees me without my glasses I won’t have to worry.

It was my second day of school and I was already known as the cool sunglass wearing LA kid. Soon I found out that my cousin Jessie was very annoying, and I ended up ditching her and doing things alone. I thought I could do okay by myself until Marnie and her click showed up.

“I heard that you are the new girl from LA and that your real hot stuff.” She said looking down at me sitting on the side of a flower bed outside.

I didn’t say anything because I didn’t feel like dealing with anyone, I didn’t need any friends.

“Hey! Can you not hear me?” She said kicked my shoe.

“Yeah I’m not deaf.” I said and looked up at her.

She was blond, tall, and skinny, of course the perfect looks.

“Then why didn’t you answer me?” She asked annoyed.

“Do I have to answer to you? Id rather be left alone.”

“Listen hear.” One of the girls behind her said. “No one just ignores Marnie.”

“Well sorry but that seems to be a false statement because I just did.” I said and got up to leave.

“And to think I came to ask to be your friend, you made a huge mistake.”

And I’m sure I did but it was worth it to see a miss popular of high school get turned down.

*Friday night*

“Hey Georgie! We are going out, wanna come?” My cousin Jessie asked as she was about to walk out the door with her friends.

“No I think I will pass this time.” I said not really wanting to socialize.

“Oh Georgie, please go. You really need to get out, it will really help.” My aunt said.

“But I don’t really feel like it.”

“You should do what your aunt wants and go.” My uncle warned and this is how I spent my first Friday night out in Canada.

We drove about 5 minutes down the road and came to a stop at a run down looking building with an illuminated sign which spelled Ice Castle but with the missing lights in the sign it spelled I Cat.

“You know how to ice skate right?” Jessie asked me.

“Uhh.. No.” I said. “Ice skating isn’t a very popular thing from where I from.”

“Well I guess there’s a first time for everything right?”

As we walked in there was music playing and lots of people on the ice. They looked almost like an anarchy as they skated in every which way, some forwards, some backwards, and some jumping or even spinning. Right then I decided this was not for me and sat along the benches and watched the people skate. No matter how much Jessie begged I wouldn’t budge and continued to watch as people skated by.

“Why do you not skate? Is something wrong?” A man with a Spanish accent asked me.

He came up from behind me and sat down next to me on the bench.

“Its not really my thing.” I told him but he didn’t seem convinced.

“How can something not be your thing? Anything could be your thing, all you have to do is make it that way.” He told me and sounded so wise.

“Well I have never skated before.” I told him.

I didn’t know why I felt so open to him of all people, it was this stranger who suddenly sat beside me.

“Well why don’t you try, you never know unless you try.” He told me.

“Maybe next time.” I told him.

“Okay next time you come promise you will skate.” He said.

“I don’t know if I will ever come again.”

“Then you won’t have anything to lose by promising.” He said, and he had a point.

“Fine, I promise.” I told him.

“Good, now I will be off to skate now. May we meet again.” He told me as he headed down to the ice.

As he walked onto the ice he was followed by an Asian boy who pat him on the shoulder as they both skated off. They both began to leap and spin as if they were weightless and could do anything. I was so intrigued that I didn’t realize I had gotten closer to the wall.

I had seen figure skating from movies before but never in person, it was almost magical and reminded me of what it felt like to dance just from watching them skate. Now I had both elbows on the wall watching as they skate their way across the ice when I suddenly made eye contact with the Asian boy. It threw me out of my trance and I quickly turned and walked out of the rink.