Love at First Meal

Love Bug

Carla stared at him blankly. He already finished his project? So he called her here for nothing? She really walked all this way here to "help" this dude out when she could've been chilling at her dorm room doing nothing? Lame. 

"Oh," she said uncertainly, waiting for Baekhyun to clarify. 

"I was stuck on a line of code but I went on StackOverflow and figured it out myself. So, I don't think I need your help anymore. I'm sorry you had to walk all this way here." To his credit, Baekhyun really did seem sorry.

"That's okay I guess," Carla responded, starting to get back up to leave. 

"Wait don't leave!" he cried out suddenly. "Now that you're here, do you want to grab coffee? My treat."

"I hate coffee," Carla responded, shaking her head. "It gives me a headache."

"Really? How about KBBQ?" 

"Yeah, sure," Carla responded. She was trying to play it cool but she was nervous in the presence of someone so good looking. She could feel a faint sheen of sweat building on her upper lip, the same upper lip that she forgot to thread yesterday. "Do you mind if I invite my friends? I already told them I'd grab dinner with them."

"That sounds great!" Baekhyun replied enthusiastically. "I'm always down to meet new people!" 

Carla and Baekhyun made small talk as they walked out of the computer science lab and to the pub, where Carla made plans to meet her friends. She kept swiping at her upper lip to wipe off the sweat. When she reached her friends, Carla introduced them to Baekhyun.

"These are my friends!" she cried excitedly; her mustache bouncing along with her in excitement, the individual hairs shining brightly from the sweat and the bright lights. "This is Valerie, I still don't know her last name," she said, pointing to the skinny Indian girl. "That's Nikita," she said, pointing to the girl with oily skin and hair. "And this is Pahnavi," she pointed to the evil-looking girl who had beef with everyone. "Guys, this is Baekhyun."

"Ohhhhhh," Nikita said, trying to hide her smirk. "You're the one Carla keeps talking about." Carla noticed that Nikita's pores were getting larger, and made a mental note to recommend that face wash she'd tried when she went to California with Cara. 

"You've been talking about me to your friends?" Baekhyun asked with a playful grin. Carla noticed that his skin looked hewn from stone, every feature perfected like some Greek god's. How could someone be so perfect? Was he the Korean Edward Cullen? Was she the Mexican Bella Swan except with a brain?

Carla laughed uncomfortably and changed the subject to who was going to drive them to the KBBQ. It was decided that Pahnavi would drive them in her new Tesla, and Carla took control of the music because she had impeccable taste. Valerie spent the entire time complaining that Carla didn't use Spotify. It was a tight fit in the car since there were five people, and Carla's fat was really struggling, but she didn't mind too much since she was seated next to Baekhyun. When they arrived at the restaurant, it was packed with people. To their dismay, the waitress informed them that it would be a half-hour wait. Everyone except Baekhyun was instantly annoyed because there were starving and wanted to eat immediately.

"Maybe," Pahnavi whispered, leaning to Carla, "One of us should stay here and wait while the rest of us go and do something for half an hour? And by one of us I specifically mean Nikita?" 

"Pahnavi shut the up," Carla snapped. "First of all, you can't whisper, Nikita probably heard you, and second of all that's a dumb idea. We can all wait for half an hour." She was, admittedly, in a bad mood because she wasn't feeling well. can my throat stop hurting im@dying, she tweeted out. 

To their surprise, the half hour went by quickly as they got to know each other. Carla learned that Baekhyun had a brother and his passion was singing. Apparently his favorite number is 48, and he wanted to start his own street wear clothing line. GUYS HE LIKES FASHION TOO FJDSKFJDSKFSD, Carla tweeted. AND HE SINGS SO WELL. THE AMOUNT OF TEARS SHED.

When they were seated at the table, Carla ordered spicy pork and Baekhyun ordered beef bulgogi. Valerie and Nikita ordered popcorn chicken while Pahnavi ordered a lettuce leaf with some air because she was on her keto diet. Over the course of the dinner, Carla got more comfortable with Baekhyun and found him to be rather endearing. When dinner was over and Pahnavi drove them back to Stanford, Baekhyun insisted on walking Carla back to her dorm. 

"I had a lot of fun today," Baekhyun said when they reached her dorm door. "Thanks for introducing me to your friends."

"No problem! If you need coding help again, let me know."

Baekhyun laughed. Carla thought his laugh sounded like an angel singing, like the sip of cold water on a hot day, like the satisfying feeling of tweezing her armpit hairs out-- "Will do! I'll use any excuse I can to hang out with such a pretty girl." And with a wink, Baekhyun strolled away into the night, leaving Carla and her mustache standing in the moonlight. Stanford is about to become even more fun, she thought with a smile.