001

Green light
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You need paper towels?”

 

The first time Sana saw Dahyun, the younger girl had just emptied the whole dispenser and threw the towels into the toilet. Sana just stood there asking herself, What the hell.

 

That's when the pale girl casually picked up a paper towel that seemed intact is some way and gave it to Sana. She was about to grab it when her phone started ringing.

 

It was Nayeon.

 

“Can you buy some wine on your way here? Please, please.” She begged from the other side of the line.

 

“Wha- No, Nayeon!”

 

 Sana left without even washing her hands. She would mention the girl with the paper towels in some parties as a funny story to entertain her friends. Sana didn't even remember how the girl looked like, except that she had black hair. And of course, she would exaggerate the story. The crazier the stories, the more friends Sana would make.

 

It was fake, but Sana really didn't care. As lame as it could sound, she gave up socially interacting genuinely long time ago. Yes, she still had the same friends from high school and most of them ended up in the same university as her. But everything was constantly changing, and she couldn't keep spending her time with Momo and Mina. They were on different careers, in different buildings and they had different schedules. It was frustrating at the beginning but Sana got used to it.

 

Her most peculiar friendship was with Nayeon. She almost couldn't remember how they ended up being roommates, but she is now the co-host of her 'Girls Night' and 'Wine and Cheese Nights'. Actually, only Nayeon would host them and Sana would complain, locking herself in her room, searching on Google for a new place to stay.

 

But Nayeon was surprisingly good to her. She would never asks questions and she didn't care if Sana would spend a lot of time in her room.

 

“Sana, why do you hate love?” Nayeon asked once, sitting next to her in a taxi. “Like, why are you so cynical? Why you don't wanna be in a relationship?”

 

A drunk Nayeon was always interesting. 

 

Sana never answered but the truth was that Sana didn't hate love. She wanted to be in love so hard. She wanted to hug and be hugged. She wanted to feel something, anything. She wanted it so much that she would meet eyes with strangers on the street, silently screaming 'love me, please', but no one would approach her with the same interest. 

 

Sana has had some dates but never dared to love someone. She couldn't remember when it was that she became so distant. Her last honest conversation was like two years ago on that beach with Momo and Mina. And even that wasn't honest at all.

 

“I just... feel so empty.” Sana confessed to Nayeon a day later with some wine.

 

“And why don't you call that girl from the other day? Jinri?” Nayeon suggested casually.

 

“No, she can off. She got weird with me.” Sana was so drunk. So drunk that never in a million years she would share that kind of stuff with Nayeon. “She hates me now, so yeah, she can off.”

 

Sana passed out not too long after that, and when she woke up the next morning she promised herself she wouldn't drink again.

 

Sana met Jinri in a party. They spent the whole time together till Sana got an existential crisis. After that day, Sana ignored her, won't call her back and wouldn't even read her messages, so when they saw each other at the library four days later, the girl tried to kiss her. Sana's reaction was to push her so hard.

 

“I don't want this. It was just a one night thing. Leave me now.”

 

“Woah, you really don't have feelings, don't you?” Jinri eventually responded.

 

I don't know. 
Do I've them?

 

Then when a certain pale girl sat next to Sana for English class on Wednesday morning, she really didn't react to it. She was on the phone texting Mina.

 

“Hey”

 

Sana looked up, kind of taken back.

 

“Uhm, hi.” 

 

The pale girl,  previously known as the paper towel girl, was in her English class. 

 

Sana's phone started to buzz again, so she looked down to reply, but the other girl kept looking at her.

 

“Nice conversation.” The girl joked. Sana gave her a polite smile, her attention still on her phone.

 

“I'm Dahyun.” The pale girl finally said, extending her hand to her. 

 

“Ehh, I'm Sana” 

 

They shook hands while making visual contact, it was weird. Sana was confused and didn't try to hide it.

 

Why was this girl talking to her?

 

“So, how has been this class so far to you, Sana?”

 

“I like it. I'm good with languages, so yeah..” Sana responded.

 

“Ohh, when did you start liking languages?”

 

“I think we haven't reached that point in our relationship for me to explain that to you now.” Sana said, and was hoping she didn't sound rude. Instead of that, the other girl just laughed. That laugh made something inside of Sana to awake. 

 

“Well, I understand nothing about this class. ” Dahyun admited.

 

“Why didn't you take French like most people?”

 

“We haven't reached that point in our relationship for me to explain that to you now, Sana.”

 

“Damn, word by word. I'm impressed.” Sana sighed, getting another smile from Dahyun.

 

The younger girl was about to say something when the professor walked in. She said goodbye and quickly went to sit next to her friends a few seats away.

 

Sana said goodbye too and then felt weird. That girl just went to her to talk? How odd.

 

___________

 

Sana felt embarrassed for being looking up for Dahyun on social media, but that night she couldn't think of something else. Her efforts of stalking weren't very successful, and quickly put away her phone when she realized how ridiculous she was being.

 

The full name was Kim Dahyun, exclusive info from Mina's new friend: Chaeyoung.

 

Sana was sitting on a bench with Momo and Mina, when she saw Dahyun walking by with a group of friends. Sana allowed herself to look at her then realized Dahyun waved at her. She waved back awkwardly, kind of blushing now and tried hard to hide it.

 

When Dahyun was nowhere to be seen, Momo asked casually, “Since when are you friends with Dahyun?”

 

“Dahyun? Who? That girl? Why?”

 

“She went viral on Vine when she jumped from a roof to the pool almost breaking her neck. A legend.”

 

“Uhm, okay?”

 

“She seems to be into older girls so maybe you got a  chance.” Momo .

 

“Ugh, stop.” Sana and Mina said at the same time.

 

When she got back home, Sana shamelessly stalked her social media again. She found Dahyun's instagram account which only had three pictures. One was a selfie, Dahyun was smiling and doing a peace sign. The other two were of her dog and a tree. Sana almost pressed the like button.

 

After a little more of searching, Sana decided that Dahyun was funny and nice. She also could see that she was popular with people.

 

Sana sighed. 

 

What the hell am I doing?

 

So, when @callmedubu wrote “I hope you wash your hands this time lol” on Sana's last photo, which was a mirror selfie in the bathroom, she almost felt like dying.

 

_________

 

“You are good with this, aren't you?”

 

“What?” Sana looked up and met sharp brown eyes. Dahyun. 

 

Sana was always early for that specific class, and there wasn't really a reason for it.  She showed up fifteen minutes earlier that morning, she was listening to one of those songs that she didn't dare to listen with her friends. When other people started to arrive, she started to play on her phone or acting like she was texting someone.

 

So when Dahyun's voice voice brought her back to reality from her Cooking game on her phone, she was looking at her confused.

 

“I mean, about this class.” Dahyun sat next to her.

 

“I guess.” Sana said, putting down her phone.

 

“Can you lend me your notes from the last few weeks?”

 

Interesting. Sana imagined their second conversation a million times in her head, but it was never like this.

 

The things is, Sana never replied to Dahyun's message on Instagram. She didn't know how to act about it, so she just left it alone, and would read it every ten minute just in case Dahyun deleted it. 

 

Now, Sana always paid attention in class but she really didn't like taking notes.

 

“Uhm, actually, I don't take notes. I'm sorry.” She said honestly.

 

“Woah” Dahyun exclaimed, placing one of her hands on her chest just above her heart, and let out a laugh. “I just realized I probably sounded like in that movie where thay annoying person who asks the nerd girl for her notes but only to sleep with her.”

 

Sana's eyes widened. 

 

Keep calm. She's just playing.

 

“Pft, you go a little too fast for my liking, Dahyun.” Sana ended up saying, getting another laugh from the younger girl.

 

“I guess I really want to unlock that level in our relationship where you tell me about your decisions in life.” Dahyun said grinning. 

 

Well, this girl is actually charming. 

 

“Like when you drink wine and end up sleeping in the shower, right?” Dahyun continued.

 

Stupid Nayeon. She tagged Sana on a embarrassing photo of her all passed out in the bathroom.

 

“So you're stalking me?” Sana said, thankful for her ability to easily hide she was dying inside.

 

“Yeah, I think Nayeon seems nice. Can't you introduce me to her?” Dahyun raised her eyebrows, smirking. Sana suddenly feels like going to the bathroom.

 

“If you think I'm gonna introduce my roommate to a loud prankster I just met then you're wrong.” Sana joked, but she was also serious.

 

“Loud prankster? And you said anything about a relationship? I just want to know if she has more embarrassing photos of you.” Dahyun responded with another bright smile. She had one of her elbows on the table and rested her chin on her knuckles.

 

Ok, maybe a little too charming.

 

Sana wanted to scream because no one has approached her to firmly

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter