001

Lost And Found
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Disable readability to avoid having the text format all wonky!

“Excuse you,” Areum muttered as she regained balance after being shoved past by a very small and angry lady. She supposed that nerves and anger skyrocketed to an abysmal rate at this time of the night.

She peered into the dark sky, but she couldn’t quite distinguish any of the stars. Maybe leaving her glasses at home wasn’t a sound idea after all. She couldn’t see the rain, but she could very well feel it soak past her coat and permeate her skin. Living near the coastline had her expecting constant rolls of thunder clouds to draw in any time now, as they usually did this time of the year.

Areum stood at the edge of the platform, toeing the yellow hazard line with a sigh. Most people would avoid the late night train, but her shift at the pub really only allowed her to escape at the dead of night. In a way she was thankful; midnight brought the kind of peace she couldn’t find in her day-to-day life. Midnight was a sort of time park where she could let her thoughts run rampant without interruption. It truly was quiet in this station, other than the occasional collective screeches of those demonic seagulls and the gentle rustling of potted plants against the salt traced wind.

The station would always be hidden in the shadows of the high moon, lampposts set in frequent spaces lit the area with a warm orange hue. Areum stuffed her hands into the pockets of her coat and wiggled her fingers around.

Right on time, the overhead speakers played the arrival tune. She shifted the strap of her bag over her shoulder, waiting as the incoming train pulled slowly to a lazy halt in front of the platform.

The doors slid open easily and Areum hopped inside without a second thought. The entire carriage, as usual, was void of passengers.

“Thank god,” she muttered as she sighed in relief and made her down towards her usual seat. She was about to toss her bag on the empty seat, but she swung it away when she spotted a cellphone on the threaded seat. It must have slipped out of someone’s pocket, she thought. 

As if on instinct, she set her bag down and patted down the back and front pockets of her jeans to check whether her own phone was safely tucked in. And with a glance over her shoulder to see if anyone had magically materialised from thin air to judge her, she plucked the phone into her hand and sat down.

No one else followed after her to board the carriage, and soon the doors slid shut before the train began its departure. Don’t snoop, she instructed herself when she felt her fingers begin to twitch against the branded leather case. The person probably realised that they’re phone slipped out, and would probably be waiting at the next station.

She caught sight of her reflection on the blank screen of the phone and had to resist the urge to cringe. Between juggling three shifts per week and taking care of her little sister, she genuinely didn’t have the energy to treat herself to a little self-pampering. After combing her fingers through her hair several times, she gave up when the birds nest just refused to cooperate.

Ten minutes later, Areum was resisting the urge to groan in frustration instead, when a sweep across the screen led her to discover that this person didn’t have a lock code.

What an idiot. Wait, maybe he has Instagram or something I can get a name from.

“Facebook should be more of a help,” she muttered as she tapped on the blue and white icon. Sure enough this person was already logged in, and she immediately felt

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter