Just Stay

Dissociative Break
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Heechul?” Leetuk tried again for what seemed like the hundredth time that night. Silence. Leeteuk sighed. Heechul hadn't said a word since their – had it really been a fight? For god's sake, he was just trying to find the psychopaths who had beaten him to death. Leeteuk had already said he wouldn't pursue it further, he had already apologized multiple times, he had already suggested they watch Zoolander together and – nothing. Was Heechul really that upset with him? Leeteuk sighed again. it, I'm just going to go to sleep then. Leeteuk thought to himself, refusing to admit to himself how hurt and angry he actually was. He missed him, damn it. When Leeteuk was at his apartment, they literally hung out 24/7. They would often stay up, laughing and talking all night. Could Heechul have at least said to him that he was upset and didn't want to talk to him for now? “I couldn't even get that.” Leeteuk said bitterly. He knew he wouldn't be able to sleep this worked up. “I'm just going to get drunk...” Leeteuk muttered to himself, heading to the kitchen for multiple bottles of OB.
~
“I need to say goodbye to my mom, my sister and my best friend. But I don't know how to do it.” Heechul said in an uncharacteristically subdued voice. “Well, hello to you too.” Leeteuk said, as he cooked doenjang soup with rice for breakfast. Yeah, he was still kind of butthurt over last night. “It's not like I can appear to them like I did when I was alive.” Heechul said, ignoring Leeteuk's statement. Leeteuk thought for a moment. Heechul was right, ofcourse. “Can you give me their names and addresses?” Leeteuk suddenly asked. “Why?” Heechul asked in a dubious tone. “Because we're going to go visit them.” Leeteuk said, blowing on his soup. “What's the point? They're just going to think you're lying or crazy and kick you out.” Heechul said. “Anyone could have gotten details about me and my murder. It's going to be impossible to prove that you are a host body that I'm possessing.” Heechul added. “We have to at least try.” Leeteuk said, his mind made up.
~
“You're nervous, aren't you?” Leeteuk asked gently. “What do you think?” Heechul snapped. If he still had his body, he would be pacing back and forth. Well, if he wasn't currently in a car. “Tell me their names.” Heechul demanded. Leeteuk sighed internally as Heechul had already asked him multiple times. “Shinhye and Hyojin.” Leeteuk replied. “I still don't think this is a good idea!” Heechul exclaimed. “Heechul, I'm trying to give you closure. The key word being 'trying'. You don't want me to investigate your murder and I understand that so I backed off. But now you don't want me visiting your family when saying goodbye could be the one thing that allows your soul to find peace?” Leeteuk asked, making a right turn. “It's not going to help me 'find peace' if they slam the door in your mothering face because they don't believe you!” Heechul said angrily. “Heechul, do you trust me?” Leeteuk asked, suddenly pulling over on the side of the road. “Ofcourse I trust you.” Heechul snapped. “Then please let me do this for you. Please?” Leeteuk asked. Heechul sighed resignedly. “If they kick me out, then you know what, Heechul? I'm going to figure out something else to give you closure. I'm not going to give up.” Leeteuk said determinedly. Pin drop silence. “I'm getting back on the road, okay? We're not far away now.” Leeteuk said. “You think I don't know where my own mother's house is?” Heechul snapped at him angrily. Leeteuk drove the rest of the way in silence. “We're here.” Leeteuk said quietly. He knew they needed to get out of the car rather quickly since his mother and sister would surely be wondering why an unknown car would be parked outside of their house. “Good luck. You're going to need it.” Heechul said, trying to keep his voice from quavering. “Heechul, whatever happens, I'm right here for you. We're going to figure this out together. I promise.” Leeteuk said, opening his car door.

 

“Hello? Can I help you with something?” Heechul's mother, Shinhye, opened the door with a confused look on her face. A door to door salesman on a Sunday? She asked herself incredulously. “Yes, my name's Leeteuk. I know you don't know me but it's about Heechul.” Leeteuk said, his stomach churning with nerves. Shinhye's entire demeanor changed as soon as Heechul's name was mentioned. “What is this, some kind of prank or something? I know all of Heechul's friends, all of them, and you are no friend of my son's.” Shinhye said angrily, refusing to open the door wider to let him in. “Mom. Who is it?” Hyojin called out. “Please, just let me in? I can explain but I think it would be better to talk inside.” Leeteuk pleaded. Hyojin approached the door standing behind Shinhye. “Who are you?” She asked with a confused look on her face.

 

“Look, I know this will be hard to understand but I have been communicating with Heechul for the past several months and what he wants more than anything –“ Leeteuk started. “Get out!!! Get out! Get out! Get out!” Shinhye screamed at the top of her lungs. “Mom...” Hyojin said, surprised at how quickly her mother had become unhinged. “You're lying! You're using my dead son...” Shinhye suddenly grabbed her chest, looking like she was about to collapse. “Mom!” Hyojin called out, wrapping her arms around her. “I'm sorry for disturbing you. I'll go.” Leeteuk said quietly, defeated. As Leeteuk headed out to his car, Heechu suddenly called out in a loud voice, “Mom!” Both Shinhye and Hyojin looked at Leeteuk as if they had heard a ghost because, well, they had. “Chullie?” Shinhye asked tentatively. “Yeah, mom. It's me.” Heechul said, getting choked up. “But how? How is this possible?” Shinhye asked. “Can I come in? I can explain everything.” Leeteuk said. I think? Except for how Heechul had actually spoken out loud.

“Yes, come in.” Shinhye said, opening the door for Leeteuk. The three of them sat down with glasses of water provided by Shinhye. “I know this is completely fantastical and hard to believe but so is the fact that you just heard Heechul's voice come from my body, right?” Leeteuk began. “The long and the short of it is, I walked past Heechul's body after – after what happened. And his spirit leapt into my body. I know it seems impossible but it's true. This happened over a year ago. I've been hearing his voice in my head for months now. We've become really good friends. I wanted to give Heechul closure – that's the reason why his soul hasn't moved on to the after life.” Leeteuk explained. Hyojin started to quietly sob. “So, I started investigating his murder. But kkangpae were responsible for that and he didn't want me to put my life in danger so he told me to stop. He then told me the one thing that would give him closure was saying goodbye to the two of you and his best friend Jisub. So, that's why I'm here. I'm sorry if I upset you when I arrived. Heechul's never been able to speak out loud, I can only hear him speaking in my mind. I didn't know he had that ability or I would have had him start with that...” Leeteuk said sheepishly.

“Oh, Heechul!” Shinhye cried out, hugging Leeteuk so tightly he felt he couldn't breathe. She cried and cried. “I've missed you so much. I think about you every day. I'll never get over what happened to you, my baby.” She cried. Leeteuk held her and tried to calm her down. “Hyojin, are you being a good girl and listening to umma?” Heechul asked, trying not to break down. The fact that he had left his younger sister was probably the hardest part of all of this. “Chullie!!” Hyojin screamed, sobbing, wrapping her arms around Leeteuk and pulling on his shirt. “Come back! Come back! How could you leave me like this?” She shrieked, completely unraveling. “Ssshhh,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter