Dumb & Dumber

Dissociative Break
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Leeteuk waited in utter and complete silence. He had heard a voice. A voice that said he (it sounded like a man) wanted a friend. Leeteuk waited and waited. “Hello?” Leeteuk asked, his voice a bit hollow. The obvious question was, where had the voice come from? Was he hallucinating? Things had been so normal over the past month. He really hoped that another “episode” wasn't starting. “Helloooo?” Leeteuk tried again. Nothing. Leeteuk sighed. He got up, went to the kitchen and made himself some green tea. He grabbed the honey from the cupboard. Green tea with honey usually calmed him down and made him feel better. Could his mind be playing tricks on him? But how? He had very clearly heard a male voice say that he needed a friend. But who was he? Why was he only speaking to him now? And why had he suddenly fell silent?

 

Leeteuk decided to read a few chapters of his favorite book then he yawned, feeling sleep coming on. He went to the bathroom then changed into his comfy pajamas. Well, he wasn't going to worry about it anymore tonight. He preferred someone who needed a friend to pentagrams being carved on his back. That's why he didn't believe that the voice was a hallucination. The pentagram hadn't been explained by anyone. There did seem to be something – supernatural? – going on. As Leeteuk's head hit the pillow and he snuggled up nice and warm under his comforter, he heard the same voice again: “I need your help.” Leeteuk sat straight up in his bed. “Who's speaking?” Leeteuk demanded to know, alarmed and not really sure what to think. Was he really talking to a voice in his head? He wondered to himself incredulously.

 

There was a long, long silence. “Heechul.” The voice finally said. “How am I hearing you speak?” Leeteuk asked, not unreasonably. “I'm inside you.” Heechul answered. Leeteuk started to panic. How could the voice speaking be inside of him? What did that mean? Was he being possessed? Or something even worse? Beads of sweat broke out across Leeteuk's forehead. “I'm sorry for the past couple of months.” Heechul began. “I didn't want to do any of those things to you.” He added. “Even the pentagram?” Leeteuk asked, wondering if he finally had an answer to that. A short silence. “Yes.” Heechul admitted, sounding ashamed. “When I died, it was sudden. I died a very violent death. My soul didn't have any closure. As a result of that, instead of peacefully moving on to the after life, my soul jumped into a host body – your body – and I started doing and causing malicious, evil things that I would never do otherwise. These awful things are going to keep happening until my soul finds closure and I can move on.” Heechul explained. Leeteuk considered this for several moments. “How will you find closure?” Leeteuk asked. Heechul was silent for a long, long time. Did I lose him? Leeteuk wonderered to himself. “I was murdered.” Heechul said quietly. Leeteuk was completely shocked by this. Murdered?! “Murdered by whom? Why?” Leeteuk asked. “Yes, murdered. I was going home from a club one night, maybe it was 4 am. I had my usual club get-up on, make up, long fire-engine red wig, six inch chunky heeled high heeled pumps, black lace flared sleeve dress. I loved getting dressed up and going out with my friends. That night, I just couldn't make it to when the club closed at 6 am. I wasn't feeling so hot so I decided to leave early. I said bye to my friends and started walking home. It wasn't a long walk and it was one that I had made a bunch of times before.” Heechul paused, getting emotional, and taking a huge breath.

 

“I was stopped by some kkangpae who stopped me and literally dragged me into an alley way. They were making fun of me, making fun of my outfit, calling me a . I tried to get away but their leader – or who I assumed was their leader – pinned me down on the ground. They tore my wig off and started slapping me and grabbing me all over. I was screaming as loud as I could but given how late it was – either no one heard me or no one cared. They started punching and kicking me. I just remember blood pouring down my face into my eyes. I started to lose consciousness and I begged them to stop. I didn't want to die. But they didn't. It just went on and on forever. It was literal torture. Then – nothing. Everything went black. I didn't hear them mocking me anymore, I didn't feel the blows, I didn't feel them touching me everywhere. I thought I had just passed out until I could see myself laying on the ground and I was physically outside of my body. That's when I knew I was dead.” Heechul explained.

“When did this happen?” Leeteuk asked, suddenly starting to figure things out. “About a year ago. Why?” Heechul asked. “What was the name of the club?” Leeteuk asked. “Octagon Club.” Heechul asked, not sure why Leeteuk was asking so many questions. “My best friend and I regularly went to the Wolf Hound bar around the time all of this stuff started happening last year. It's right by the Octagon Club. And we would leave and go to a naraebang near by and we would stay there until they closed.” Leeteuk said, as they both came to the same conclusion. “You must have walked past me right as my soul separated from my body. And I jumped into your body.” Heechul said. Lucky me. Leeteuk thought to himself.

 

“Look, I'm really sorry that happened to you. I wonder if they were ever arrested?” Leeteuk wondered. “I don't know. I've been inside of your body for almost a year.” Heechul said. “I'll check for you. I hope they are rotting in prison somewhere.” Leeteuk said. That's the least they deserve for literally beating someone to death. He added to himself. “I was so young.” Heechul said, struggling to maintain his composure. “I was only nineteen when this happened.” He added. Leeteuk could hear his voice breaking. “I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to anyone, especially my family and my best friend.” Heechul said. “I really am sorry.” Leeteuk said. “How can I help?” He asked. He wanted to help Heechul but he also wanted his life back. He wanted all the crazy stuff to stop and he wanted to get off the medication that was making him feel tired all the time.

 

“I'm not sure.” Heechul admitted. “What I really want is my life back but I know there's no way to make that happen.” Heechul said sadly, his voice tinged with regret. “I wish you would have talked to me before now.” Leeteuk said. “I didn't have a way to. I was only able to talk to you tonight because you gave me an opening.” Heechul replied. Leeteuk thought for several moments. “So, what happens if you leave my body?” He asked. “I would have to jump into another host body.” Heechul said. Leeteuk yawned. “Well, Heechul. I don't know about you but I'm sleepy. So, it's bed time. I'll talk to you tomorrow?” Leeteuk felt strangely ridiculous saying this but he had enjoyed talking with Heechul. “Heechul.” Leeteuk suddenly said. “Yeah?” Heechul replied. “Tomorrow's Saturday. I'm going to research your murder. If the criminals who did this are serving sentences, then great. But if they're still out there – I'm going to try to find who did this to you. You at least deserve that. I might not be able to give you your life back but maybe if the people who did this to you pay for their crimes it will give you some sense of closure.” Leeteuk said. “Maybe.” Heechul didn't sound convinced. “Good night, Heechul.” Leeteuk said, flipping over on his side. “Good night, Leeteuk.” Heechul replied.

~

“What was the exact date of your murder?” Leeteuk asked, at his laptop, with a large mug of coffee and two slices of toast with jelly. “Um, February 2nd, 2017.” Heechul said, shuddering at the memory. “I know it must be hard talking about it, Heechul. Thanks for letting me help you.” Leeteuk said. “No, thank you for helping me.” Heechul said emphatically. Leeteuk smiled. “What's your last name?” Leeteuk asked. “Kim.” Heechul replied. Leeteuk pulled up Naver and typed in “Kim Heechul murder 2017” and started to scroll through the results. “Young teen beaten to death near night club.” Leeteuk read to himself, reading through the articles. “Heechul, I'm sorry but – they never caught the psychopaths who did this to you.” Leeteuk said softly. Heechul was quiet. “I'm not saying I'm going to give up. I can investigate this for you. I know it was over a year ago and most of the leads will probably be cold. But I can ask at Octagon if anyone saw the guys who attacked you – if you can give me a description. There are apartments right near Octagon, I can go door to door and ask if anyone saw or heard anything that night.” Leeteuk said, already planning his investigation. This wasn't right. Those s should be in jail. “And what good is that going to do?” Heechul asked angrily. “If the cops weren't able to solve my case, what makes you think you can do it, with less resources? No one cares if you knock on their door. It's not the same without a badge.” Heechul said, getting more worked up. “Besides nobody cares about a dead .” Heechul said angrily.

 

“Heechul, that's not true. I care. I care a lot. I'm just trying to help you.” Leeteuk said. “I know. I'm sorry if I snapped at you. It just makes me so angry!!! Why am I dead and not them? I never did anything to anyone, Leeteuk. So, why am I here inside of you instead of living my life? I loved my life. I was happy. Not saying I didn't go through . Everyone does. But I loved every second of my life, even the bad times. So, why was it taken away from me?” Heechul asked, feeling empty inside. Leeteuk thought it over. “I don't know.” He answered honestly. “I wish I had an answer for you. I'm not really religious so I don't want to feed you some religious crap about everything happening for a reason. Well, what's the reason? What's the reason for you to be beaten to death by some homophobes while you were walking home from a night out with your friends after having such a good time? I don't know. I really don't.” Leeteuk said, sipping his coffee. He wished he could offer Heechul something else. But he didn't really think there was an answer. “They should be going through this not me!! But they get to live their lives, scot-free, after literally beating me to death. How is that fair?” Heechul asked, trying not to break down. “It isn't.” Leeteuk said softly.

 

“Hey, you can see and hear what I see and hear, right Heechul?” Leeteuk suddenly asked. “Huh? Yeah, ofcourse. I'm in your body, remember? Duh.” Heechul replied. “Let's watch a stupid comedy movie. You like comedies, right?” Leeteuk asked. That was enough heavy stuff for one day. Clearly, his idea of looking into Heechul's murder was not what Heechul wanted him to do. He wasn't sure what to do to make him feel better. But he could hear that Heechul was on the verge of breaking down and sobbing. He wanted to do something that, if he couldn't give his soul closure, could at least lift his spirits (spirit?). “Stupid comedy movie like what?” Heechul asked, sounding really unconvinced. “Dumb and Dumber.” Leeteuk replied, flopping down on his couch and pulling up Netflix. Heechul groaned. “Come on, it's funny. Have you even seen it? How can you deny Jim Carrey's comedic genius?” Leeteuk asked, smiling. Maybe the movie was more for him. Reading the details of Heechul's murder in the newspaper articles had really shaken him. “Ugh, fine. But if I don't like it, you're turning it off.” Heechul huffed. “You'll like it. Trust me.” Leeteuk said, smiling, finishing his coffee.

 

“Omigod, the bathroom scene!” Heechul shrieked, laughing uproariously. “Tell me that hasn't happened to every single person at one time or another.” He added, giggling. “It's definitely happened to me. Taco Bell. 'Nuff said.” Leeteuk said. “What?! Taco Bell is amazing, what are you talking about? That is blasphemy!” Heechul said, getting really worked up. “Look, can we just get back to the movie? Geez...” Leeteuk said.

 

“Who the hell drinks coffee while watching a movie? Do you really not have popcorn?” Heechul asked. “I got up early to investigate your case. Do you think I'm eating po

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter