Cold Chills

The Fallen Six

 

Jinhae always knew something was wrong that night. Each day she thought about how she woke up, dazed, confused.

As if she was drained of what made her, her.

She remembered the pounding headache, the emptiness in her heart.

What was it? What made her feel such things? Jinhae shrugged the thought off, twirling the pen in her hand as she looked out the window, not paying attention to the teacher.

“Miss Choi, you do realise that we have a test on this tomorrow?” the teacher asked, a slightly disgusted look on her face as Jinhae turned her head at the sound of her name.

“Mianhae.” Jinhae replied softly, her eyes looking out the window once more. The teacher sighed in exasperation, before continuing to teach the class. At the same time, Jinhae’s thoughts drifted to one single thing.

A blue and silver feather, left in her room that dark, dark night.

*** 

Changjo stared at the rest of his hyungs, who were debating whether or not to have a name for themselves.

“It would make things easier, wouldn’t it?” Ricky asked.

“Yeah, but what would we call ourselves?” Chunji replied.

No-one bothered to ask Changjo for his opinion. They all knew he was in one of his moods.

It was a general rule. Never disturb Changjo while he was moody. He might just rip your wings off.

As the rest of the hyungs debated, Changjo wondered what she was doing.

How was she going at school?

Was she with someone else?

Did she remember the one thing he left her that night?

L.Joe saw the concern on Changjo’s face, and in an act of pure bravery, walked up to Changjo and punched him lightly on the shoulder.

“What?” Changjo snapped, looking up at L.Joe with eyes that held a thousand year’s worth of dread.

And pain.

"What’s on your mind?” L.Joe dared to ask.

The rest of the group stared at the two, anxious. “Hyung…” Niel whispered “Back off, before he hurts you…”

L.Joe turned to flash a smile in Niel’s direction. “Just because he almost tore your arm off.”

Niel looked away, his jaw tight.

“None of your concern,” Changjo replied coldly.

L.Joe crossed his arms. “Wanna say that again?”

Changjo looked up at L.Joe once more, before standing up. “None. Of. Your. Concern.”

“Byung Hyun. Stop.” CAP motioned for the other to sit back down at his spot.

L.Joe smiled. “He’ll spit it out sooner or later,” he said, before walking back to his spot.

Changjo his heel to leave, his hands balled into fists. He could feel his nails digging into his palms, where he knew he would leave crescent moon shapes on his skin. He didn’t care.

It seemed his capacity to care for things these days was at an all time low.

Walking out onto the balcony, Changjo rested his arms on the rail, before leaning his head on his arms and exhaling loudly. Apart from him being obviously annoyed with everyone, he was also worried sick. She was right, the only thing that actually made him a bit more human was her.

And only her.

"Godammit." he whispered quietly, lifting his head up from his arms. He looked out onto the place he called home. The tall ivory coloured buildings, that were both ancient and highly sophisticated. The occasional skyscraper, the small schools, and the academy for those who wanted to become part of the Royal Guard.

Walking to the edge of the balcony, he stepped off. Letting the cool wind blow over his face and through his hair, he began to unfold his wings, and from a freefall, changed into a smooth glide into the air, the tips of his wings making small lines in the sky. He dipped low, and let his hands brush over a few of the younger angels' hair.

"Omo! Look!" A child exclaimed in joy as he felt the breeze of Changjo's passing.

Flashing a smile, Changjo looked behind him and waved.

It felt weird, smiling. Changjo looked ahead, and laughed quietly to himself.  "Its been a long time, since I smiled..." he whispered to himself.

***

Jinhae was walking home, a book in her hands and music in her ears as she walked down the sidewalk. Turning the page of her book, she stopped suddenly. A cold chill ran up her spine, and she pulled one earbud out of her ear to look around.

Huh, maybe it's just me.

After brushing the cold chill off, she continued to walk again, eventually heading toward her house. Grabbing the keys out of her pocket, she opened the front door and walked inside, inhaling the sweet smell of her mother's cooking.

Jinhae looked around, and noticed that no one was home. It was a normal think for her, since her parents always worked the night shifts. Glancing at the table, she saw her dinner all ready. Resisting the urge to go and eat, she walked up the stairs and dropped her bag in her room, before collapsing on her bed, closing her eyes.

As soon as she began to fall asleep, her phone rang.

"Hello," Jinhae mumbled.
"Unnie, did you just wake up?" Eunjung replied, her voice slightly patronizing.

Eunjung was one  of Jinhae's closest friends. Younger than Jinhae by a few months, she was the one who always reminded Jinhae to focus on studies.

The motherly Dongsaeng, in other words.

"Hmm, yeah. What's up?" Jinhae replied sleepily, rubbing her eyes.
"Nothing, I was just wondering if you wanted to go out?"
"Are you hungry again?"
"Unnie, shut up." Eunjung replied.

Jinhae could see Eunjung rolling her eyes.

"Alright, I'll drop by soon-ish," Jinhae replied, hanging up.

Meanwhile, Changjo was sitting on the same roof he was all those years ago. Of course, no-one could see him. Unless he wanted them to. Watching Jinhae get up from her bed, he sighed, ruffling his wings as he watched her leave her bedroom.

 

"What I wouldn't give to talk to you again," he whispered.



 

(A/N) : An update yayyyy! It's been so long! TT.TT im sorry i kept you all waiting! :D 

Im nearly finished for my school term, so i'll be on holidays for a couple of weeks, hopefully i can update some more! :D

Until next time, 

OpenValor <3