i.

crushes are for kids*

Handling the kids was never an easy job. If there was something Joohyun would wholeheartedly avoid, it would be looking after the bunch of wild creatures outside the classrooms. Sadly for her, she was one of the few who was really good at this task, hence why she was stuck among the crowd of uncontrollable high-school-ers.

The day was for them, she agreed – it was Children’s Day after all – but it didn’t mean they were free from all the rules. The head teacher had strictly told them not to behave as uncivilized people. Joohyun let them off it they hooted or stood up and danced all – that was what an audience was supposed to do after all, not that she would – but the name calling was often getting to her, as well as the flashes.

, the principal is wants me to find out who those kids are, she thought as soon as she was met with the principal’s hard gaze. She stood up from her place despite her wishes – I was really enjoying their performance – and went on another round to seize all the cell phones that had been brought.

“Idiots,” she muttered under her breath when she saw a student desperately trying to hide her valuables; “At least turn off the flash if you don’t want to be caught.” She yelled, marching towards the student and snatching her phone. Joohyun was beyond pissed, and she hoped her words and actions had gotten into them.

She hated being interrupted while doing something, and these kids, despite claiming to be smart, often forgot that fact and landed themselves in trouble. Anyways, she got another phone for free. If the girl didn’t dare claim it back, she’d be giving that to someone in need. The girl would learn her lesson, and she’d save some money.

Although she really didn’t wish to be this mean to the kids – cell phones are one’s world, one’s life, one’s everything, including Joohyun’s – she wished one day she’d land her hands on an IPhone. Her nephew had been begging for one, and he was a rather responsible kid, so why not?

From the corner of her eyes, she spotted another student using his phone – an IPhone to precise. Joohyun stuck in a deep breath before standing up from her seat and moving towards him, but the voice speaking over the mic made her halt on her steps.

“Ms. Bae, please,”

Mr. Kim. She screamed inside her head as the kids clapped and hooted with joy, cheering for Mr. Kim, who was obviously trying to stop her from harassing them further. She glared at his distinct figure on the stage. At that point she wanted to show him the finger, but she had to refrain herself. After all, she was someone the kids looked up to. They certain didn’t want to throw her off a cliff or anything. And now with Kim Jongdae’s support, they’d certainly not harm her in anyway.

“It’s for everyone – my performance. So, it would nice if you, um…”

Wordlessly Joohyun shrunk back on her seat with an annoyed expression, except this time her face was red. She heard whispers behind her, mocking her – “She’s fuming, fuming,” and “Finally she’s on line,” were caught by her exceptionally sharp ears – but she swallowed her pride and acted as if they didn’t exist.

She hated being called out by anyone, especially Kim Jongdae.

“…yeah, thank you!” He smiled brightly.

Cheers followed. Everyone inside the hall screamed Jongdae’s name, except her. Joohyun only sulked.

Sheesh, why are they so hyped up? Not like he’s any Kim Jae —

Joohyun’s internal monologue died down as soon as Jongdae opened his mouth.

Holy – he sings beautifully.

Joohyun found herself amazed and mesmerized.

Normally, she had her expressions in check. She never slipped, at least not as how she had at that time. Mr. Kim sounded heavenly – and the way remained ajar, eyes fixated on him the entire time gave her away.

She could only hope he hadn’t caught her in such a vulnerable state.

She wished, she prayed. But she knew all of it had gone in vain when he shot another smile at her direction.

. Joohyun, , you’re dead.