First Names

To Protect and Serve
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Quick thank you to all of you who reviewed and even upvoted chapter 1. I’m back with chapter 2 and I sort of have a general idea of what I’m doing. Please enjoy.

 

Meetings. There were meetings upon meetings. Joohyun was sure she was up to at least 5 important meetings a day. Sometimes even more than that. They ranged from staff meetings, phone calls with world leaders, and even meetings with governors of cities within the country. It had only been a month into her first term and although exciting. The job was demanding and time consuming.

 

She even had to schedule her weekly phone class with her sister Yeri. She couldn’t see her as much as she once did. But at the least she wouldn’t miss their phone calls. Yeri tells her she understands because even she herself is busy with school. Joohyun still feels bad that she isn’t nearly as accessible to her. She hopes to make time to spend with her soon. She does miss when they get to have their meals together.

 

Today is a more relaxed morning compared to some others she has had. She’s only reading over documents in her office. She isn’t the first woman to fill this role. Joohyun is just determined to not end up like the former disgraced President. Naturally there are people watching. Some wanting to see if she will succeed. There are also plenty people wondering if she will fail and become a disgrace too. For Bae Joohyun failure is not an option. She didn’t throw her hat in the ring to be met with failure.

 

“Madame Bae,” one of her secretaries knocks on the door.

 

“Come in,” Joohyun acknowledges.

 

“Hi, Ma’am. Would you like any tea or something to eat? The chef will prepare anything you like.”

 

That was another perk of the job. The fact that she had a personal House chef. It was certainly a bonus. Just one that she was not used to. She is not used to such round the clock staff. Not when she had made her own meals for practically all of her life.

 

“Tea will be fine, thank you. Can I ask you a question?”

 

“Yes, Madame Bae. Of course, ask anything?”

 

“Who sees to the bodyguards? Do they have a chef also?”

 

“Oh, well they do have a fully equipped kitchen. I think they usually cook for themselves. Ms. Song is actually an excellent cook, and some see her as a mother figure. Please don’t worry, Madame Bae. Your bodyguards are well taken care of.”

 

Joohyun can’t help but to think about one bodyguard in particular. The only female bodyguard among them, Kang Seulgi. The woman appears so thin and lanky. Joohyun finds she is concerned, especially when she stands next to some of the taller muscular men. She brought her concerns to Victoria. She just told her to not underestimate Seulgi, and said no more on the topic.

 

When the secretary leaves. Joohyun returns to her paperwork. There are times when she looks out of the office windows to see some of the bodyguards on their way to and from their house. Many times she had unintentionally caught glimpses of Seulgi.

 

(Flashback)

 

Her meeting finished early, and Joohyun decided to read over important documents to prepare herself for tomorrow. When she hears laughter.

 

“You’re an idiot, shut up.” The male bodyguard hits the other one.

 

Joohyun looks out the window to see two men dressed in black suits. Behind them is Seulgi. She is also in a dark suit, tailored to fit her body. She is in a dark tie, visible earpiece, and dark shades. Why does she look even ier in the suit compared to the men. Joohyun finds her eyes travel right to her. How can she look away to be honest. She is a beautiful woman.

 

“Hey, Kang. Do you feel like training some with us? If you can keep up.” The second male bodyguard playfully speaks.

 

Seulgi looks slightly interested, more so than the raven has ever seen her so far. She rarely looks interested. Just so serious and focused. That Joohyun has wondered why she is so strict. Bringing her back to her original question. Why is someone as young as her working as a bodyguard?

 

“If you two can keep up with me.”

 

“Ooh, we’re so scared, Kang”

 

“You should be.” She sounds so that Joohyun is temporarily in a trance. God, she should be working and not looking at this beautiful woman.

 

“Hey, Kang, so are you joining us for lunch at all?”

 

“No,” Seulgi declines. “I’m going out for lunch. I’ll meet you both at the gym later, bye for now.” She nods to them and walks off. Joohyun watches until she can no longer see her. The president pulls at her shirt collar. Kang Seulgi is fascinating and also very distracting.

 

(End)

 

Joohyun decides then she will walk the grounds a bit. There are gardens nearby that she finds quite relaxing, and often she will walk around and admire the flowers in the garden. There are nice gazebos too that she has taken naps under from time to time. She especially loves looking at the sky in various states of warm, bright hues of sunset, or sometimes before dawn. It’s even nice to just stargaze from the balcony of her bedroom.

 

She grabs one of her favorite purple sweaters and a thermos of tea to go. She leaves her house and starts to head to along the path that leads towards the gardens. She notices Seulgi. The woman is again in a dark suit, shades, earpiece, and seems to be in conversation on her cellphone. Seulgi looks visibly upset, however. The President knows she shouldn’t ask. She does still walk over when Seulgi ends the call.

 

“Ms. Kang?”

 

Seulgi turns when she hears her name. “Madame Bae, is there anything wrong?” She questions in a professional tone. Whatever concerned face is no longer and replaced with seriousness.

 

“No, I’m fine. Are you alright?”

 

“Am I…” Seulgi stops. She realizes that the raven is probably referring to her phone call. “I’m fine, Ma’am. Are you going for a walk. Be careful, Ma’am.”

 

She tries to walk off. That’s when Joohyun decides to just try her luck. There is no guarantee Seulgi will agree. She just wants to try anyway.

 

“Wait,” Joohyun begins. “Would you like to join me? The gardens are so beautiful here and I would appreciate the company.”

 

The President does understand it might not be appropriate at this time. Seulgi is looking at her with so much hesitancy in her features.

 

“I can ask Kai or one of the other bodyguards, Ma’am.”

 

Joohyun honestly wouldn’t feel comfortable too close to the male bodyguards. In public is one thing. She doesn’t mind that so much. She doesn’t necessarily want to spend her own personal alone time with the men. The few she has spoken to seem nice enough, however. She switches tactics.

 

“You’re one of my bodyguards too, right?”

 

“Yes, Ma’am.” Seulgi nods.

 

“Well. Then aren’t you also qualified to accompany me as well?” The raven smiles. She might be playing a tad bit unfair. She just wants to have a chance for Seulgi to accompany her. The monolid woman gives a nod, and does walk with the President. It is a mostly silent stroll.

 

“I really like the gardens here. I come here often to relax.” Joohyun enjoys the peace and serene views that the gardens here offer. She walks towards one of the gazebos and sits.

 

“Would you like to sit, Ms. Kang?”

 

“I’m fine, thank you.” Seulgi gives a polite nod. The raven tries not to look too disappointed. She isn’t surprised still. Seulgi is so professional to the most extreme.

 

“Can I ask how long you’ve been a bodyguard?”

 

Joohyun figures if she asks questions that are work related. It could very well make Seulgi comfortable enough to talk some more.

 

“Ma’am, I’m sure you’re worried because I’m younger than some of the other guards here. I can assure you that I am capable to handle the job. I’ve been working as a bodyguard for the past two years.” Seulgi looks like she might start to list her resume. Joohyun doesn’t want her to go down a list of her credentials. If anything she can easily find that information out.

 

“It’s okay, Seulgi. I didn’t mean for you to list all of your qualifications. I am glad

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter