Chapter 2

Apartment 03-605

A/N

So here's chapter two. The last chapter was from Xiumin's pov, and this one is from Chen's. The next chapter will be from Luhan's pov, and it'll rotate like that. Here we go 

------

Chen opened his letter box and pulled out the mail. He shuffled through the letters and bills as he trudged up the stairs. Once in his apartment, he flopped on the couch and opened up the envelope containing his most recent paycheck. 

250,000 won. I even put in extra hours and they still won't pay me for all my regular hours. 

He had been working at this restaurant for months and had only ever missed a shift once because he was sick. But he was still a part-time waiter, and businesses were never fair to them. 

Chen also performed gigs at various clubs around the city trying to earn money and recognition through his true passion, singing. But his last gig at some hole-in-the-wall bar was a bust and the owner only paid half the rate for his booking because he “wasn't satisfied” with the performance. Together with the tips he received, it was barely more than his cut from the restaurant. 

Together, not nearly enough to cover his half of the bills and rent. Again. 

I hope Suho doesn't mind covering whatever I can't. 

Suho was Chen’s roommate, and the two had been living together since Chen moved to Seoul six months earlier. He worked full-time at one of the many big offices in the city and made a steady paycheck. 

Chen heard keys in the lock and knew that it was Suho. “I'm home!” He called through the apartment as he tried to get the door to stay shut. “Chen? He's not working still…”

“I'm here,” Chen let the older man know as he got up and walked to meet him, leaving the check and bills laying on the coffee table. 

“This damn door won't stay shut. Guess I'll have the maintenance guy look at it tomorrow.” And with that, he gave up on the broken door and turned to Chen, who was impatiently waiting for him to finish. 

“How was work?” He asked as he leaned in and gave Suho a sweet peck on the lips. 

Yes, they were dating. After living together for a month or so, they began to realize their relationship was growing beyond that of normal roommates and it didn't take long for one of them to pluck up the courage to confess. 

“Work was fine. What about you? I haven't seen you since our lunch yesterday.” Suho was always concerned about the hours his boyfriend was pulling between his shifts and the gigs he did which kept him away from home. 

“I told you I had a gig last night after my shift.”

“And how did that go? I bet they loved you.”

“Well…” they had made their way to the couch and Chen's gaze shifted towards the checks and bills on the table. “The patrons enjoyed it and tipped as usual, but the owner refused to pay me amount we had agreed on because he didn't feel that I earned it.”

“That's ridiculous, he can't do that! He has to pay you what he promised.”

“I'm lucky I convinced him to pay me at all. Thankfully one of the patrons overheard and helped me out. But between that and the check from the restaurant…” 

That was when Suho noticed the envelopes on the table, the opened paycheck in particular. 

“250,000 won?! That's it? Chen, the rent--” 

“I know!! Please just for now, I can't pay my half right now because of this, but I promise by next month, I'll have it! I'm due for a promotion at the restaurant and this next gig--”

“I can't keep covering for you like this Chen!” Suho stood up from the couch and looks down on him. Chen knew what was coming next. Same as last month. 

“What's happening that you never have any money when rent rolls around? Are you spending it all?”

“No, it--”

“Then what? You're always off working and  you're never home, and yet your bank account has nothing to show for it. You're always exhausted, but you still can barely pay your half of the rent. Why can't you just get a stable job like I have--”

“Because I'm not like you!!” Chen yelled as he shot up from his seat. He could feel the anger rising in his chest just like every other time they had this discussion, but this time he wasn't just going to take the older’s criticism. 

“I don't have the experience needed to get a job like that, and to get it, I need money. These gigs I do all the time might not pay the way I want them to, but I enjoy doing them! So well I might not be making tons of money in a fancy office building, at least I'm not boring myself to death doing something I hate!”

“No, you're just working yourself to death, only to be cheated out of half your paycheck! Without my help, you would be living in an alleyway somewhere! Between the amount of time you spend here and the amount of the rent you pay, I feel like I'm the only one living here.” 

“Would you prefer it that way?” Chen asked him, letting his last humiliating jab sink in, fueling his anger even more. “After all, like you said, you basically cover rent by yourself, so it's not like you need me here taking up space!” 

“Well maybe I would!! Then maybe I won't get woken up by someone coming home in the middle of the night and making so much noise!” At this, Chen looked at Suho for a moment, angry and resentful, seemingly searching for something in his frustrated expression before answering. 

“Fine. I'll just leave then.”

And with that, Chen stormed into his room and shoved some clothes in a bag before walking towards the door. This cause Suho’s anger to break as he realized what he had done. 

“Chen…” he called out, but the other was already gone.

Chen flung the broken door the rest of the way open practically ran out of it.

And right into someone. 

The man was knocked over from the unexpected collision and his keys flew right out of his hand and over the railing. 

Chen was really not having a good day. After brushing himself off, he managed to calm himself enough as not to be angry at the poor victim and checked to see if he was okay. 

“I'm sorry,” he said rather flatly, hoping to come off as somewhat sincere instead of just annoyed. “I wasn't looking where I was going. Are you alright? You’re not... hurt?” Chen was a loss for words. The man in front of him was someone he hadn’t seen in the building before, and he was stunning. 

“My keys…“

This snapped Chen out of whatever weird trance he was in, and he rushed down the stairs without really thinking. All he knew was that he had to help this beautiful stranger. Not because he was infatuated or anything, but because he was the reason that the keys fell in the first place. 

“Hey!!” he could hear the man following him down the stairs but he kept going. Once he had retrieved the keys he started back up to return them to their owner, who he found puffing on the landing three floors up. 

“Did you drop these?” Chen asked, handing the poor guy his keys before taking a seat on the ground next to him to catch his breath. 
“Thank you,” the man mutter shyly, taking the keys and tucking them in his pocket. 

“No problem, it was the least I could do after I made you drop them. I'm Chen, by the way.” 

“Xiumin.”

“Xiumin…. You must be Luhan’s new roommate, right?” Xiumin nodded.

“That means I'm your new neighbor! I apologize now for the noise, we can be a little loud, but I hope you won't mind.”

“Don't worry about it. When I moved into the city, I expected it to be loud, so I won't really mind.” At that, Chen couldn't help but laugh. He’s a loud person,after all, and most people tend to get annoyed after a while. 

“I think I found my favorite neighbor.”

Suddenly, the door next to them opened and one of the guys who lived there, Bam Bam, stepped out. 


“Damn, I should have known that was you, Chen. Why do u have to be so loud? And right outside my apartment, too!”

“Sorry, BamBam. Xiumin here dropped his keys and I had to come and rescue him.”

“Don't try to make yourself a hero, Chen. I wouldn't have dropped them if you hadn't ran into me! You should watch where you're going.” chen was shocked, but he still felt a small smile as Xiumin defended himself to Bam Bam, who just laughed and shook his head before bidding them goodbye and continuing down the stairs. 

“So you can talk,” Chen joked offhandedly as he helped Xiumin to his feet. “I'm sorry if I offended you, by the way, but I have a reputation to uphold, ya know?” 

“I have a reputation as well. I don't want my new neighbors thinking I'm some helpless damsel.”  

“Well then, maybe you can help me next time. I wouldn't mind being a damsel for you.” Chen winked at him before waving goodbye and retreating down the stairs, leaving a stunned Xiumin behind on the landing. 

--------

The farther away Chen got from the building and his new neighbor, the worse he felt. He didn’t know what came over him, but he had started flirting with Xiumin. Sure, he was attractive and seemed rather nice, but Chen was in a relationship. Fighting or not, he had a boyfriend. 

Suho…

With a heavy heart, he made his way into the park, to the bench at his favorite spot. It was in a quiet corner of the park, away from the crowds, and a good place to be alone and think. 

Chen was tired, angry, confused, and guilty. He was still mad at Suho, but now that he had calmed down, he felt terrible for storming out. While Suho had no right to judge him for his choice of jobs, he was only concerned about the younger’s wellbeing. 

Suho got so angry this time. It was worse than before, he even suggested that I leave. And I did. That was so stupid! Chen sighed in frustration at his childish behavior. What if… he meant it, and he really doesn't want me there? I might have ruined my chance at fixing this by leaving. What if this is it? This thought brought tears to his eyes. 

“I’ve ruined everything now…” Chen whispered to himself as he started to cry. He liked Suho a lot, and the thought of losing him was almost unbearable. 

Chen sat there on that bench in the abandoned part of the park, and he cried. He cried until there was nothing left. By then, he was absolutely exhausted. He took out his phone and called his best friend, Baekhyun. 

“Hey Baek, it’s me.”

“Hey Chen, what’s wrong? You sound upset, what happened? Where are you?” his voice was laced with concern. 

“Suho and I fought again and I stormed out. I don’t think I’m ready to go back yet, is it alright if I stay with you for tonight?”

“Of course you can. Do you want me to pick you up? Where are you right now?”

“In the park…”

“Stay there, I’ll be there soon.”

By the time Baekhyun and his boyfriend, Chanyeol, got there, they found Chen asleep on the bench, curled up against the cold night air. 

------

A/N

And that's chapter two. Hopefully I'll be back soon with the next one