What I Cannot Say (Pt. 1)

Her Leader and Her Maknae
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It started innocently enough.

 

It was when TWICE was attending a fansign event, and a reporter asked them a question.

 

“Who would you guys choose to stay with if you were stuck on an island?”

 

As the other members nonchalantly gave their answers, Tzuyu started to panic. Having spent quite some time in the industry, she knew by instinct that this was the kind of question that added fuel to the fire known as shipping. She also knew, not by instinct but by experience, that she had to use the utmost caution on responding to such questions. Reckless answers that favored one particular member would bring down the delicate equilibrium between ships, and depressed shippers- followers of couples with hardly any interaction- were likely to stop being fans of TWICE, something they all tried desperately to avoid.

 

That did not stop Tzuyu from blurting out the first and only name that came to her mind.

 

“Jihyo-unnie.”

 

She realized her blunder one split second too late, and before the interviewers had any time to react, she hurriedly added.

 

“And Momo-unnie. Um, if I go with Momo-unnie, I can eat as much food as I want.” That was completely nonsense, seeing as Momo probably ate more than her and could not cook to save her life. Still, anything to distract them was better than nothing. “And if I go with Jihyo-unnie, I can, um…”

 

Share all private things with her. Shower her with hugs and kisses all day. Cuddle with her at night. Play in the sea with her. Protect her from danger. All kinds of things Tzuyu wanted to do with her leader ran through her mind, from chaste to , from playful to serious, yet none of them seemed appropriate.

 

“… have her take my photos for free.”

 

Tzuyu only dared to sneak one quick glance at Jihyo’s confused stare before visibly shrinking in her seat.

 

Real smooth, Chou Tzuyu. What the .

 

_____

 

When Dahyun and Chaeyoung got back to their maknae line room, they found Tzuyu lying on her bed, staring at the ceiling lifelessly.

 

“Hey Tzuyu, what are you thinking about? You haven’t even changed yet.” Dahyun asked, noticing her friend’s attire. The other two had been enjoying a girl’s night out with several unnies, while Tzuyu and Mina had excused themselves as soon as they reached the dorm. Mina because she wanted to finish her game, and Tzuyu… well, she was too down in the dumps and too pissed at herself to enjoy spending time with others.

 

“Hush Dahyun, maybe she’s sleeping with her eyes open.” Chaeyoung commented with a smile.

“Oh, in that case I should just slap her senseless to wake her up.” That elicited an involuntary laugh from Tzuyu. She was still embarrassed from the dance studio incident, where she in a panic had done just that to Nayeon- who was actually napping with her eyes wide open. To this day she still could not understand how it was possible, but that panic act of hers had already became a standing joke.

 

“Give me a break guys, it was really terrifying.” Tzuyu said getting up. There was no point in wallowing in her misery now that her roommates were back. They would be able to give her some good advice, thought Tzuyu.

 

“Not in the long run Tzuyu, but okay for now.” Dahyun conceded, dropping the subject. “You want to talk about something? We’re all ears.” The Taiwanese girl smiled appreciatively. Air-headed and goofy as she seemed to be, Tofu was actually a great listener should the need arise. Admittedly, she was second to Jihyo in this department, but Tzuyu couldn’t very well come to her leader about how she became worse than a bumbling baffoon whenever it concerned that very leader.

 

Of course, she could also consult Nayeon or Jeongyeon, seeing as they were older and therefore likely to be more experienced with such problems. Tzuyu had doubts however, that whatever she said, would reach Jihyo’s pretty ears faster than how Momo could switch back and forth between a complete idiot and a lusty seductress. The unnie line had been close together since the very first days after all.

 

With that in mind, Dahyun was obviously the next best choice to be subject to Tzuyu’s predicament.

 

“It’s about Jihyo-unnie.” Tzuyu sighed dejectedly when she saw Chaeyoung already looking away. “Yes I know Chaeng, again.”

 

“I’ll also take a guess that it has something to do with that interview just then.” The short rapper was already climbing to her upper bunk, getting ready for another of Tzuyu’s distressed talk.

 

“Yes… well not really. I managed to have a decent answer this time.” Said the Taiwanese girl proudly. Last time when put under pressure, she had fumbled with her Korean and called the show she was in ‘boring’.

 

“Thing is, if things keep going this way, Jihyo-unnie will have an impression that she’s nothing to me than some kind of employee. Today I literally called her my personal photographer.”

 

“Oh, let’s not forget the time in Japan. You basically called her your interpreter.” Tzuyu heaved a heavy sigh at this, recalling said event. Eight members of TWICE, excluding Jihyo, were being interviewed for an article celebrating Jihyo’s birthday. The leader’s glamorous pictures were printed on the first few pages of the magazine, surrounded by trivias, Q&A, and – last but not least – other member’s comments. The others cheerily recounted their private experiences, altogether painting a picture of Jihyo for exactly who she was- optimistic, cheerful, caring, and understanding.

 

“Jihyo has big round sparkling eyes. She has really interesting personality, and she’s our main vocalist too. She is TWICE’s indispensible piece of puzzle that connects us all together. The other day she was wearing her pyjamas, a pair of high-heels with the towel wrapped around her head, and just like that, she started one hilarious fashion show. Not only that, she is always confident and responsible, always happy and exerts a positive aura.”

 

“Just as you guys think, Jihyo works really hard as the group leader. She listens to everyone, and has a strong consciousness about her own responsibility. Everyone trusts her. Still, she is shy and reserved at heart. The other day she dropped her chopsticks onto the floor and dared not ask for a new pair. I had to do it for her. Being together since we’re kids, I know many more sides of her personality than she lets out.

 

Tzuyu’s mind, on the other hand, only got more and more blank until she blurted out something completely impertinent.

 

“Since I’m a foreigner, I sometimes can’t understand the complex details in our company’s business debrief sessions. Jihyo-unnie is the one who compiles everything and explains to me in an easier way. I really appreciate her for it. She is, um, also very active and can enjoy everything wholly. When I see her enjoy herself during concerts, I keep thinking she’s the most amazing leader ever.”

 

It was your most run-of-the-mill positive comment ever on someone, mostly employed for people not that close to one another. Tzuyu was still chastising herself for that, with no little help from the J-Trinity for being so formal and estranged.

 

“I just… can’t understand why it’s so hard for me to show my appreciation for everything she’s done to me.” Tzuyu said depressed.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter