Worthy of Headlines

Her Leader and Her Maknae
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Look, Tzuyu-ah. We’re at the airport already.” Sana said excitedly, pulling Tzuyu from her thoughts.

“Oh? That was fast.” Next to her, Mina was still dozing off. TWICE’s resident penguin had had a rough day. Well, technically they all did, spending a larger part of yesterday attending the GAONCHART awards ceremony and not going home until late at night. While admittedly fun, it was no picnic for the more introverted members of TWICE- suffice to say, Mina and Tzuyu were beyond exhausted thereafter. The Taiwanese, fortunately, managed to catch a few hours of shut-eye prior to their trip to Gimpo airport, having prepared her luggage beforehand.

Tzuyu took a glance around the bus she and the J-Trinity were riding in. They were given relative privacy, sitting in the middle of the vehicle with a distance of two seats from their entourage. To better identify, all bodyguards wore uniform black parka, along with- to distinguish from other black wearers- a ridiculously bright yellow cap. What a great way to avoid attention, Tzuyu snorted inwardly. Still, she was not one to question how bodyguarding worked, so she let her mind wander other things instead.

Not yet Tzuyu, don’t go there now. Tzuyu shook her head.

At the two seats on the other side of the bus sat Mina and Momo, who were engrossed in conversation. Rather, it was mostly Momo talking animatedly in Japanese while Mina just sleepily nodded along, occasionally giving curt answers. Such was the dynamic of the couple’s relationship, one being a boundless source of energy while the other being silent and attentive. The scene certainly reminded her of a certain relationship she had with someone.

No! Stop thinking. Talk. Distract yourself. Tzuyu decided not to in for now, opting to focus on the remaining member of TWICE on the bus.

“Sana-unnie.” The Japanese girl looked up from her snack.

“Yeah?”

“What are you planning to do when you get back to Japan? I mean, aside from reuniting with your family.”

“Well, we do not really have much time for other stuff, do we?” Sana replied, an uncharacteristic wistful expression present on her face. “I mean, I do want to visit many friends and other relatives too. But given our limited time, I’d rather stay with my family as much as possible than make many pointless short trips.”

That was true for in all their cases, Tzuyu thought sadly.

“What about you, Tzuyu? Tell me you have something different in mind.”

“I actually have to do something else unnie. Do you remember I posted about an earthquake back in my home country the other day?” Sana nodded. “Well, I’m supposed to travel to Hualien city. You know, to pay homage to families of the dead and injured.”

Sana gasped, recalling the pictures she saw on the news. While not particularly devastating, the disaster left several buildings in a highly volatile state, and there had been no updates on the situation since then. “You’re going to travel there, Tzuyu? Isn’t that dangerous? I don’t want you to get hurt.” She dramatically grabbed the younger girl’s hand, giving her a lost puppy look.

Tzuyu laughed a bit at this. “Don’t worry too much Sana-unnie, they already dealt with most of the damage. There won’t be any building falling over me… I think.” This earned her a swat from Sana.

“It’s not a joke Tzuyu! You might really get in danger.”

“But, I’m not alone, remember? I have the bodyguards with me always, and I believe in them.”

Sana still did not seem convinced. She opened to say something more, then- as if remembering something, she promptly shut it again. “… Oh.” A mischievous smile suddenly crossed her face. This did not go unnoticed by Tzuyu.

“What does that mean Sana-unnie?”

“What does what mean? I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

“You just smiled. You’re hiding something from me.”

Again, Sana was about to retort, but thought better of it and sighed. “You’re good Tzuyu-chan.”

Tzuyu shrugged. “What can I say? The silent ones know the most.”

“That I can agree.” Interrupted Mina, who somehow managed to catch what the Taiwanese girl said just now. “The more you talk, the less you know.”

“Hey! What’s that supposed to mean?” Shouted an indignant Momo, and everyone laughed.

With the other two Japanese joining in, the members of TWICE shared a pleasant conversation until they arrived at Gimpo airport, and Tzuyu was all too glad for the distraction.

______

“… And that’s why I think, they have to straighten up the building BEFORE demolishing them.”

They were now sitting in the boarding area, surrounded by a dozen of their bodyguards. Tzuyu had mostly forgotten about whatever Sana was hiding, and was now engrossed in a discussion about the outcome of the earthquake.

“But how is it even possible? I don’t think there’s a machine big enough to just push the building back to its place…” Mina was interrupted by the announcer, calling for passengers on the next flight. “Oops, that’s us. Let’s go guys.”

Even though it was yet her turn, Tzuyu still stood up to give her unnies a round of goodbye hugs.

“See you again next week guys. I’ll miss you.” With her longer arms, she managed to round all three Japanese girls up in one group hug.

“Don’t forget to take pictures Tzuyu! We’ll call you as soon as we arrive.” Said Momo, her voice muffled amidst the bundle of thick clothes they were wearing.

“Stay safe Tzuyu. Happy new year.” Mina said simply, her smile warm and reassuring. Tzuyu smiled back.

“Happy new year to you too unnie. Too all of you.”

“Happy new year! Here, put this on.” Sana chirped, whipping out a yellow cap- the exact same model worn by their . Sensing Tzuyu’s distaste, she quickly added. “So you won’t mess up your hair when you fall asleep on the plane or something.”

Tzuyu sighed. That was a valid point.

“Okay Sana-unnie, might as well. My flight isn’t for another hour anyway, I would hate it if I nod off and wake up with tangled hair.” Tzuyu actually took great care of her hair, and only thanks to her meticulous work did it manage to always appear silky smooth. She took the cap and put it on her head. Sana beamed happily.

“Good girl. Here’s your reward.” She leaned in and gave Tzuyu a quick peck on the cheek, making the younger girl blush furiously despite the cold weather.

“U-unnie! People might see us!” She could already hear some excited murmurs from the crowd, as well as the clicking sounds of photos being taken.

“Then let them. Doesn’t hurt to give our fans something every now and then, no?” Said the ever-flirtatious Sana. Not nearly as talkative and quick-witted, Tzuyu chose to narrow her eyes and pout at the older girl rather than replying.

“Just hurry up guys. Don’t be late. I’ll see you soon.” Tzuyu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter