IV - In which Kyungsoo isn't just a tiny version of The Hulk.

Sarcastic Destiny.

Hoy hoy my little chicken wings ! 

I'm back with a new chapter that I hope will be good enough for you :)

Reminder; Still not a native English speaker, so please be nice ? Thank you ;P

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

 

There was nothing more painful than to watch everyone run away from him like he was going to hurt them just for being in his way. Every step he took, and every look he gave was a cry for someone to just see him. To just see Kyungsoo. But they never did.

 

There was a time when the teenager had a friend. Or someone he thought of as a friend. They would play together and laugh. Run around the backyard and draw stupid things on his bedroom’s walls until his mother found out and grounded him, putting him in a corner to reflect on his actions. Kyungsoo couldn’t care less about being grounded. It was worth all the time facing the walls. He couldn’t care less about his mother making him clean up the mess they made because he had a friend to play with. He had someone to laugh, and cry, and talk, and share with. Kyungsoo never really cared about the way other kids would look at him like he was a monster, because he had someone who was looking at him like he was a superhero, and what more could he ask for ? 

 

At that question, little Kyungsoo would have answered " Nothing ". He had anything he could wish for. A friend, an ally, a partner in crime, and a shoulder to cry on when his brother was being a big meanie. Things couldn’t get better than that, he knew it. He just forgot that they could get worse. Or maybe he genuinely didn’t know. He was a kid, he was innocent, he was blind and he was naive. Kyungsoo was 6 years old, and that alone summed up pretty well how his brain worked. Play, laugh, draw, eat. 

 

The playground was one of his favorite place to be. With the swings, the sandbox, and the slide. This was his little paradise. 

 

Kyungsoo was a late bloomer. He wouldn’t speak until he was 4. Which was, in itself, a problem, because the little one liked to communicate. No matter how. Throwing things had became, for a short amount of time, his way of showing his displeasure. 

 

He took his time, but he eventually got there, and when he finally started to talk, he became so loud in the house that his brother would sometimes wish he could just get back to the time he was throwing things. 

 

Kyungsoo was a really late bloomer. Which made everyone around him worried. The fact that he hadn’t shown any sign of what kind of powers he had at the age of 6 years old was something that rarely happened, and his parents were, from time to time, wondering if he actually had any. 

 

Kyungsoo wasn’t really paying attention to the fact that he couldn’t perform any kind of tricks like everyone around him. it didn’t bother him that there was a kid throwing water at his friends while another one was having the time of his life turning the water into ice cubes and laughing like a madman when the girls were screaming because of the cold. Kyungsoo was too busy playing tag with his best friend to care about the fact that he was the talk of every parents and kids around the neighborhood. He couldn’t care less about the way they would look at him, because he would look at someone else, anyway. 

 

It all went down the drain when his little playground paradise became his very own nightmare. When he pushed a bit too hard, and he pulled a bit too much. When he fell from a bit too high, and suddenly, all the eyes were a bit too suffocating. When he realized it was all a bit too good to be true. So good, that it was fake. 

 

Kyungsoo was having fun with his best friend. Two little kids, playing around the playground without a care in the world, never noticing the girl that was coming their way. Her name, Kyungsoo couldn’t remember, but the way she sat on the swing like nobody was there, starting to push the ground with her feet and never even glancing to see if his best friend was okay, that, Kyungsoo remembered perfectly. He could also remember how his little fingers grabbed the swing and how he pushed her down. 

 

He didn’t mean to make her fall. He just wanted an apology. How could he know that she was going to fly away from the swing and fall down on the concrete ? He was just a kid, he did not have this kind of strength. Or did he ? 

 

Kyungsoo was confused, and his best friend was looking at him with big eyes, wondering why he would do something like that. The little girl was crying, her knee bleeding and Kyungsoo ran to her. He wanted to help. All he wanted to do was help. There was no ill intention when the kid grabbed her hand to pull her up. He couldn’t even understand why she started to scream so loud, and cry so much. He barely touched her. 

 

For a split second, Kyungsoo thought that maybe, she was pretending to be hurt, just so he would get grounded. But he saw the pain on her face. He saw the way her eyes widened when he pulled on her hand and felt the bones crashing into each other. And he heard the way her voice cracked when he let her go. There was honestly something wrong going on, and Kyungsoo, from his 6 years old little mind, knew he was the problem. Running from the scene, Kyungsoo hid behind a tree. He put his hands on his ears, trying to ignore the cries and he waited. 

 

He had no idea for how long he’d been there, but when his mother finally found him, he was cold. So cold that his little fingers had turned blue. His mother was crying, pulling him against her, and tightening her arms around him, but all Kyungsoo could think about was that scream. All he could hear were the cries. And all he could see were the tears. 

 

He remembered that little girl who never came back to school after that day. The way her cheeks were drowned by her tears, the pain on her face still inked inside Kyungsoo’s brain like a bad tattoo you can never really get rid of without leaving a scar behind. He remembered feeling her bones crack between his fingers and he remembered her hand going numb against his little palm. He remembered the confusion, and the fear. And most of all he remembered how much he hated his powers. 

 

Kyungsoo, after that day, never really let anyone touched him again. Too scared to hurt, too scared to break someone. 

 

Kyungsoo, after that day, never really saw his best friend anymore. 

All those made up stories they would say, and all those games they would play.  

They disappeared like everything else, letting Kyungsoo all alone with his thoughts. With his guilt. And with the only reminder that he never really had anyone, except the one he made up in his mind. And even him, he was afraid to hurt, so het got rid of him. 

Even his imagination was scared of him, so Kyungsoo let his imagination get away, saying goodbye to his only friend. 

 

 

Kyungsoo had grown. He was a teenager, and his powers were under control. He knew how to stop not to hurt anyone, and he learned what he was exactly capable of. There was more to him than a tiny version of the Hulk. More to him than a beast that could cause an earthquake and crack your head open like an egg. Kyungsoo had a lot to show, if only someone wanted to see

 

He was used to them running away. Used to them talking behind his back and being scared of him. That, he knew how to deal with. That, he knew how to ignore. No matter how much it would sometimes hurt him, to realize that he had no one. But again, maybe this was the best thing to do, to keep everyone safe. 

 

But what was he supposed to do when this happened ? What was he supposed to do when Mister Popularity himself started to scream at him in the middle of the cafeteria like he was the one at fault for bumping into him -twice- ?     

 

Kyungsoo had no clue. Not even a little one. He could have strangled him there, in front of everybody, for being so full of himself. For acting like a jerk and for pretending he wasn’t the one at fault. He could have made him fly across the cafeteria if he wanted to. 

 

Jongin, telling him that he wasn’t capable of using his brain. Jongin, being his pretentious self and having everyone side with him because Kyungsoo was the monster of the school. All the gasps and the whispers, like he was going to kill him on the spot. ing Kim Jongin and his pretentious haircut. His pretentious hair color, and his pretentious face. Kim ing Jongin, and the way Kyungsoo was thrilled to realize that there was at least one person in this school that wasn’t scared of him. And he was so, so pissed to know that he was thrilled. 

 

But the teenager wasn’t going to let them all win by stomping his foot or punching the wall. There was no way on Earth he would let them be right about him. Kyungsoo let no other proof of his mood than the pieces of his chopsticks sleeping at the bottom of the trashcan; perfect representation of Kim Jongin in Kyungsoo’s head. 

 

 

Minseok looked at Chanyeol with a smile on his face, and the giant knew what that meant. He  really couldn’t deal with the pity at the moment. He grabbed his chopsticks, ignored them all, and finished his plate like nothing happened. What was the point of talking about it anyway. Yixing wasn’t his Ame Soeur, and that was it. 

 

He felt his friends’ eyes on him for a short moment, until they finally decided to let it go. He could now hear Jongin eating his chicken, and Jongdae being a jerk to everyone, like he always was. This, was normal and it felt good. The pang on his heart was still there, but it was nothing new. Chanyeol had felt that pain for years now; he was used to it. There was close to nothing he could do to soothe it. He knew it, his friends knew it, and everybody did. 

 

Minseok was having a conversation with Yixing, which reminded him of the promise the giant made to his new friend. He looked around the cafeteria, looking for Junmyeon. The school president wasn’t at his usual seat, but he knew he was there anyway. He wasn’t the kind of guy to miss school, and Jongdae and Jongin had seen him earlier, so, there was that. 

 

" Yixing needs to talk to Jun " Chanyeol spoke, cutting Minseok in the middle of his sentence, his eyes still looking at every corner of the room. 

 

" Why is that ? Do you know him ? " The senior smiled, looking at Yixing and the little guy, once again, was looking embarrassed. Chanyeol, his attention finally on them, decided that it was maybe best for Yixing’s pride to explain everything himself, so he did exactly that. 

 

It didn’t take long for Minseok to grab his phone and send a text to his cousin. The two boys had always been close, since they were little kids. Always playing together, finding it so amusing to combine their powers to make the girls scream. Junmyeon was way much more of a troublemaker when he was still a boy. Growing up made him more serious. As for Minseok, being in love with Jongdae had kept him youthful and mischievous. No matter how much of a pre adult he already was, he could always count on Jongdae to have fun and let it go when things were getting a bit too much. 

 

Minseok and Junmyeon had always been more than cousins. Almost brothers. Through the entirety of kindergarten, elementary school and middle school, the two boys would always have been together, no matter what. Now, some people might have think that Minseok meeting Jongdae made the cousins grew appart, but that was just a really stupid deduction that more often than not would make them laugh. The truth was really easier than that. They just weren’t circulating around the same circle. Junmyeon was the school president, and his friends, most of them, were found during his campaign. As for Minseok, it was an easy task to find friends. Jongdae was there, and where Jongdae was, people were found. Jongdae would often say that this applied to Minseok as well, but the older guy just knew that his boyfriend was as appealing to people as sugar was to bees. 

 

Just a few minutes after the text was sent, Junmyeon was there, greeting him, Chanyeol, and Yixing. He took a few seconds to ask Jongin if he was okay, and Minseok didn’t really know what it was all about, but he was pretty sure Jongdae would put him back on track later on. 

 

The president sat down, smiling his sweet and caring smile, and Minseok introduced him to Yixing.

 

" It’s great to finally properly meet you, " Junmyeon said, " I know we share a couple of classes, but I’ve been kind of busy since you arrived and we never got to be introduced, but if I’m correct, you met Sehun right ? He’s the student council secretary, he was supposed to give you a tour of the school on your first day "

 

From the other side of the table, Yixing could hear Jongin laugh, his mouth still full of chicken, his hand covering his lips and Chanyeol’s hand patting him on the back. Jongdae looked at him with disgust, throwing a napkin on his tray, and Minseok was looking at Junmyeon like they shared some sort of secret that nobody knew. All in all, Yixing was pretty much lost, and he decided that maybe, it would just be better for him to answer the question and ignore his new friends. It was a wise decision, if you asked anyone. 

 

" I did, he was really nice " Yixing was smiling. The guy he met at the time, Oh Sehun, was indeed really nice. He did not talk much, but he was polite and he did his job properly. He was younger than him for what he understood, so he hasn’t seen him that much since his first day. 

 

" I’m glad then " Junmyeon smiled. " Min’ said you needed to talk to me ? "

 

" Ha yeah.. Hum.. Mr.Cho told me to ask you if I could borrow your notes ? I just arrived so I missed half of the lessons and.. "

 

Junmyeon was more than happy to help him. His smile never left his face, and Chanyeol was wondering how could someone be this glad to talk about Math, because, really ? But it was Junmyeon, and the guy was enjoying high school like no one else before. 

 

Truth was, Junmyeon loved to learn, but it didn’t occur to him that books could be useful until he was at least thirteen years old. He never was a bad student, nor was he particularly good. He was average, and he couldn’t care less about being the school president or anything related. School was fun, because he got to see his friends, but other than that, he was not particularly thrilled to go. Things just started to slowly change when little Junmyeon began to be interested in the stars. His grandfather taking him away on a weekend to see a meteor shower. The boy really couldn’t care less about that, he just wanted to go to Minseok’s house and play video games, but seeing them, all those white stars running through the black sky, he was, quite literally, starstruck. He‘d never seen anything so beautiful before, and he was pretty sure he hadn’t saw anything so beautiful since that day.

 

It didn’t took long for him to drown himself in books and videos. For a few months, stars were all he would talk about. Until stars became science. It has a name, and Junmyeon knew that if they ever talked about astronomy in school, he would totally crush it. The feeling of knowing something but still running after it was killing him. Discovering, and understanding. Having tons of questions, and finally finding the answers. Junmyeon realized he loved to know, so he started to learn. Stars, and math. Biology, and history. There wasn’t really anything that he did not like. From Science, to literature, through art and history, Junmyeon wanted to learn them all. And so he did. Still was. 

 

Becoming the student council president had nothing to do with learning though, and one might think that it was way too much work (one like Chanyeol, or Jongin. Or Jongdae, who couldn’t even understand how someone would want to have this kind of responsibility, in high school !), but Junmyeon was a kind hearted guy, and seeing people get bullied was too much for him. He tried helping them before, but he had no power whatsoever. All he really knew was that school should be a safe place, and Junmyeon decided early on, that if no one was gonna make it happen, he would. 

 

" You know what, how about you come over after school so I can give you the notes and help you with whatever it is that you need ? " Yixing was surprised and looked at Chanyeol for a split second. The giant smiled gently and nodded. That’s all the new guy needed to accept. Junmyeon simply asked him to wait for him at the gate so they could go home together, and after that he left the table to go back to his own friends. 

 

It wasn’t long before Jongdae grabbed everyone’s attention again. No more than a few seconds, and all eyes were already back on him. All except Chanyeol’s who couldn’t care less about his friend’s need of attention. 

 

 

Chanyeol was walking silently, his nose buried in his phone, catching up on his Tumblr feed, never really paying attention to anything around him. It was easier like this. 

 

Jongin was at dance practice, Jongdae and Minseok already went home together, and as for his new friend Yixing, well, he left earlier with Junmyeon, their lessons of the day finishing way before Chanyeol’s. He needed distraction for whatever stupid thought was bringing his mood down. Tumblr was very good at it. 

 

Laughing at some random text posts about Harry Potter was kind of Chanyeol’s go to when he felt like he was going to explode from frustration. The lunch’s event was still twirling in his head, refusing to let him have some peace. It wasn’t the first time it happened, but every time Chanyeol realized that someone wasn’t actually his Âme Soeur, it felt like he was taking a step back, walking farther and farther away from the person he was looking for. He couldn’t stop himself from being jealous of Minseok and Jongdae, who’ve found each other so early into their life. Just like his parents, Chanyeol wished he’d met his Âme Soeur back in elementary school, when everything was still so simple. Talking to a stranger wasn’t considerate weird, and Chanyeol could touch his friends’ (and not friends) hands without anyone looking at him like he’d grown a second head. 

 

At the moment, Chanyeol was simply trying to find anything to forget the fact that Yixing wasn’t actually made for him. Thinking about it, it probably was for the best. The Chinese was a sweetheart, but maybe too much of a free spirit. Chanyeol wasn’t sure he would be able to follow Yixing in his track of thoughts. 

 

He was deep in his Tumblr mania when he heard someone say something. He didn’t actually catch what the person said, but it made him look around, just in case.

 

" Giant ! " The voice called again, and this time, Chanyeol knew perfectly they were talking to him. He looked behind him, just enough to see a little guy waving at him, his strawberry blond hair bouncing on top of his head while he was walking towards him. Chanyeol frowned for a few seconds before something in his brain just clicked. " I knew it was you ! Those ears are for sure a once in a lifetime occurrence ! " Chanyeol self-consciously slid his hands on his ears, trying to cover them up with his hair, hopelessly. " Nah, don’t do that, they’re actually pretty cute ! "

 

" Hum.. " Chanyeol wasn’t good at receiving compliments. " You’re.. Baekhyung right ? Yixing’s best friend ? "

 

" Nah, it’s Baekhyun actually, but I’ll give it to you, we’ve only met once " The little guy smiled, reassuring Chanyeol that it was indeed okay. " I’m sorry, I don’t remember your name ? "

 

" Ha, it’s Chanyeol. " The giant said. " Park Chanyeol. " He said again, just for good measure. 

 

" Right, Chanyeol ! Nice to see you again " Baekhyun offered him another squared smile, letting Chanyeol speechless because, why was this guy talking to him anyway ? Not that he mind, but really, he wasn’t expecting anyone to compliment him on his ears. In the middle of the street. By a stranger, basically. " I’m sorry to bother you " Baekhyun added quickly, making Chanyeol feel like he was used to people telling him off.

 

" You’re not bothering me " The giant smiled. " I was just kind of..taken aback, you know ? I wasn’t expecting anyone to suddenly call me giant and say my ears were cute "

 

" Yeaaaah.. " A little laugh left Baekhyun lips, just loud enough for Chanyeol to hear it. " Hm, actually I kind of had something to ask you "

 

" I’m all ears " The little guy smiled, his eyes on the ears for a few seconds before following a trail ending up straight into Chanyeol’s orbs. 

 

" Haven you seen Yixing ? I was supposed to meet him at the school gate, he wanted me to walk him home tonight, but he wasn’t there when I arrived and he’s not answering his phone "

 

" Oh.. Hum.. He must have forgotten to call you then.. " 

 

" Sounds like him. " An amused smile took place on Chanyeol’s face, because even though he knew the Chinese for like, a day, he knew it was a pretty accurate depiction of who Yixing truly was. 

 

" He went home with a friend of mine who’s in his class, to review all the lessons he’s missed "

 

" Damnit Zhang ! " 

 

" Sorry you had to wait.. "

 

" It’s okay, I’m used to it actually. But still ! I was gonna treat him an ice cream, he can dream on now ! "

 

" How harsh. " Chanyeol said, mocking the smaller for the ridiculous punishment. 

 

" It is harsh. You just don’t know how much the guy loves ice cream ! " 

 

" I suppose you know him better than I do, indeed " 

 

" You bet I do ! " The blond sighed deeply, looking around him for some sort of sign of what to do next. He honestly had no idea. He had plan his entire night based on the fact that his best friend was gonna be with him. Now his plans were useless. 

 

" Is there something wrong ? " The giant asked after hearing the deep sigh coming from the little guy. It never was a good thing to hear someone being this defeated.

 

" I have no idea what to do with myself. " Baekhyun looked up at him. " Wait a minute.. "

 

" ..Yes ? " 

 

" Are you busy right now ? "

 

" Well.. " Was being on Tumblr a valid excuse ? No. Not that Chanyeol wanted to get away. Baekhyun was fun. Well, at least it seemed like it. He couldn’t be a jerk. His best friend was Yixing. " I suppose I’m not.. Why’s that ? "

 

" I need to borrow your body for like an hour or so ! "

 

" Borrow my..body ? " Why didn’t he say he was busy again ?

 

" Let’s go ! " 

 

Baekhyun didn’t really let him much of a choice. Grabbing Chanyeol by the sleeve, he pulled him behind him, walking in the opposite direction of Chanyeol’s house, not caring a bit about Chanyeol’s questions and whimpers. The giant was obviously strong enough to pull his hand away (yes, he was.) but a part of him was actually really intrigued about the little guy, and what could he possibly do to him, really ? 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N : 

  • Hello hello guys. I know it's been months, but like I said, I've lost my work, and when I finally had a new one, it was kind of hectic ! 
  • Anyway, I hope you liked this chapter, I wanted you to know a bit more about Kyungsoo so I hope I was able to portray him as good as possible :)
  • Tell me what you think about anything, I'm hear to listen, and to improve ! 
  • I'm on summer break right now so I hope I'll be able to write more ! (I'm starting uni in September, which is kind of a big deal 'cause I've been out of school for 5 years now so yeah, I'm an old one heh )
  • Thank you for reading :3 
  • See yaaaa~