Chapter 1

For the Rest of Our Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

1

 

In a world where Hybrids aren't appreciated much, Suho wants to make a difference. That's what he thinks when he comes back from the States and faces how conservative Korea is still when it comes to Hybrid.

Hybrid has been existed for a long time, the oldest notes mentioning them dates back to early civilization where Hybrids were captured and killed ruthlessly because they were believed that they were cursed being who defied the Gods. There wasn't yet anything founded which tell about Hybrid's origin, leaving many people -mostly Hybrids enthusiasts- wondering what Hybrid is actually.

Leaving that topic for now, Suho revels back to the start of a big change. Slowly throughout the history of humanity, the population of Hybrids has lessened, at first mostly because of murder, then changed to neglect and abuse when Hybrids were turned into slaves after people found out that they weren't a threat to humanity. Since that time, with their continuous struggle, Hybrid’s life changed completely. It's assumed by scientists that Hybrid, to keep the stress on their body minimum and the only way out of those abuse was by death, their life span decreased. No one really noticed at that time, thinking that they got a weak slave and not bothering to care and just get another hybrid, until most of hybrid’s life span reached approximately 30 years.

Following that, Hybrid's populations decreased drastically and only then when they reached Near Threatened status, people who care spoke up.

Yet it was already too late no matter what they did, pulling Hybrid's from slave status, giving them a better care and setting a law to protect Hybrid; the damage was already done and setting in deep inside Hybrid's life core.

Frowning at the history, Suho almost misses three people who go past him. In near-late realization, he turns abruptly with his bag hangs heavily from his shoulder to see a woman walking side by side with a young looking hybrid whose wheelchair is pushed by Airport staff. Hurriedly approaching them before they go into VIP lounge room, Suho asks them if they can give him their time for a short interview.

 

“Yoonseo’s health has been deteriorating lately. I, no, we know what is going to come next.” She says, her lips smiling but the shine of her eyes which Suho saw before has been dulled a bit by heartache. He sees her hand anxiously rubbing the hybrid's hand which she has been holding ever since before Suho approached them. She turns from Suho to smile at her hybrid, saying. “I’ve been busy lately with work and my sons, almost neglecting him. And to make up for it, we're going on a long trip, only the two of us. We want to make the most of our remaining time.”

The young photographer smiles when the two's gazes turn to him, his camera is ready in the cradle of his hands and to not waste the two's time any longer, he raises his camera and focuses it onto the pair.

He doesn't forget to exchange cards with the woman, he will send a copy of their photograph along with the copy of his project. With the two's support for the project, Suho continues his walk out of the Korean international airport, smiling confidently.

The past has already happened and no one can reverse the time to revert their population. But, just like what the woman has said ‘to make the most of their remaining time’, even though no one can yet save Hybrid from their short life, the most important thing to do is to live in the now and spend the time usefully so they won't regret anything in the future.

With that thought rooting deeply in his mind, Suho is determined to be in this project, to create a new path for Hybrid. And to make his dream comes true in Korea, the young photographer knows that he has to start from scratch and he needs a presence of hybrid who is willing to work with him. That is what drives him to his aunt's manor house in the outskirt of Busan city near the Haeundae Beach.

 

“..that's what I plan.” Suho says confidently as he meets the eyes of his aunt, his father’s younger sister who marries a businessman from China. He has told her, his intention and his long term plan which he hopes will be accepted well in Korea.

Soft chuckles fills the air between them as the woman clad in white lace sack dress uncrosses her legs and sends gazes full of amusement to her nephew. “So this is the reason why you insist to not meet Xiumin first.”

Smiling sheepishly, Suho nods several times. “Yes. Before asking my baby cousin, I need to get your permission first as Xiumin’s guardian.”

Taking a sip of her warm lemon tea from the white straw, the older woman nods before asking him. “Have you talked about this with your father?”

“Of course. When I brought this project to his desk, he approved it right away. He thinks that it's time for Korea to change their mindset.”

Her aunt doesn't answer right away, and Suho not wanting it to be sign of rejection, adds. “This project is not mine alone. I work together with World Hybrid, a hybrid support groups from States who want to spread awareness about Hybrid's Rights around the world. And they..”

“Stop.” Eunseo, Suho’s aunt, raises her hand, elegant fingers lined up softly in front of Suho stopping his rambling. Familiar amused smile surfaces on her small face to tease Suho’s sudden defensiveness. “I believe in you, Suho-ah. You are not the type of person who do things inadequately. And I know that you had planned this project carefully to every details.”

Sheepish smile is back on Suho’s face as soon as his aunt’s word registers into his thought. “So.. Will you let me borrow Kris for this project?”

This time, Eunseo laughed. Her voice soft and airy as if she is the happiest woman alive. “Of course. I will do anything I can to help my nephew. But you still need to ask Xiumin because he is the one who owns Kris.” She said, asking the house assistant to get Xiumin and Kris.

Nodding again, glad for her kindness and readiness to help him, Suho smiled wider. “Yes, of course I will ask him. But, I think Xiumin will agree.”

“How can you be so sure? Xiumin is very protective of Kris. Last time during his birthday party, he let no one getting close to his Kris-ge.” His aunt shares the story with mirth, obvious joy twinkles in her eyes at the remembrance of that party Suho unfortunately couldn't attend because he was traveling with his father to eternalize moments in photographs.

“Does Xiumin still call Kris with ge?”

“Yes!” Eunseo claims with a clap. “That Chinese word latched thickly to Kris. Even though Xiumin calls the others with hyung, with Kris, he sticks with ge!”

“Maybe because he is used to call Kris with that word.” Suho comments  knowing that since he could talk, Xiumin has been calling Kris with ‘ge' -courtesy to his Chinese father.

“Not only that.” Eunsoo waved her hand. “When it’s only the two of them, they talk in Chinese instead of Korean.”

“Chinese?” Widening his eyes in surprise, Suho asks. “Wait.. Isn't Xiumin only 9 years old?”

“He's already fluent in Chinese.” Eunsoo chuckles at her nephew’s reaction. “You know your uncle, he wants Xiumin to take over his company as soon as possible. He has been teaching lots of thing to his son through Kris, knowing how close the two are.”

“Woah.” Still baffled by that fact, Suho makes an amused expression at his aunt who reciprocates his amusement over that subject. “As expected of uncle. Maybe next year, I will hear Xiumin-ah speaking English.”

Laughing at that, Eunsoo nods. “That will probably happen soon. Xiumin has been learning English for a quiet long while. He can probably speak fluently with you.”

Before Suho can properly reply, a high pitched voice screaming into the room. “Hyung!”

Following that, a small body attacks Suho precisely with enough strength that he falls onto the sofa on his side. Laughing aloud, Suho wrapped his hand around his small cousin before tickling his side, erupting laughter from the boy and also two other people in the room.

“Please. Stop!” The little boy shrieks between his laugh, arms flailing to push away the offender but failed because he flails at the wrong direction.

“What do you say, Xiumin-ah? I think I can't hear you beside your laughter.” Suho said, teasing his cousin but has already lessened his tickling.

“Suho-hyung! Please stop!” Xiumin shrieks again this time arms falling toward the tall teenager with cat ears and tail. “Kris-ge! Help me!”

Laughing, Suho stops tickling the nine years old boy while the one called Kris approaches Xiumin who jumps onto his arms as soon as Suho let go of him.

Smiling at how Xiumin wraps his arms and legs tightly around Kris and the tall hybrid protectively hugging him close, Suho sits up straighter and waits the two to sit comfortably on the sofa beside Eunseo.

“Suho-hyung! Are you staying long here this time?” Xiumin asked excitedly as soon as Kris sits down and moves the boy around to face Suho. His chubby cheeks brightens with childish excitement of seeing his cousin again.

 

Suho talks with both Xiumin and Kris, asking them to help him and Xiumin, who thinks that being a model suits Kris a lot agrees with Suho’s proposal almost immediately, thinking that he’ll able to see his Kris-ge looking all cool and gorgeous. “What do you think?” The little boy asks turning on Kris’s lap to look at him in the eyes.

Taken aback by Xiumin’s question, Kris glances at Suho and Eunseo briefly before looking at his owner again who looking expectantly. “I don't know.” He said honestly, he never once thought of becoming a model when him serving the family is enough already.

Xiumin pouts at his answer. “What do you mean with you don't know? You always have the answer to everything.” he says, whining.

“Err.. I can't always answer anything.” Kris explains, looking troubled when he looks at Eunseo for help.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter