Chapter 1

Change of Fate

I woke up to a knock at the door. I shifted around a little before I decided to get up to see who's out there. 

"House keeping!" A small voice called from the outside. 

I went to the door and opened it, "I'm sorry, I will be packed up and out of here in about 5 minutes. Then you can clean up."

"Okay!" She replied and waited for me to get my things situated and ready to leave. I left her a dollar on the dresser before heading out. 

After returning my key in the front office area, I was on my way again. I don't know where I was going or when I was going to get there but I felt like I just had to keep going and get as far away from this place as possible. 

I soon reached the interstate and decided to hitchhike, giving up on walking. I held my thumb out and watched as cars drove by, squinting as the sun reflected in my eyes. 

I hoped and prayed that a weird person wouldn't stop for me, and I think my prayers were answered because within the next five minutes a very nice guy stopped for me. He was a very handsome guy who seemed to smile a lot. 

"So, where are you going?" He looked over at me for a second and smiled again.

I hesitated, "Well, you see, I actually don't know. I just decided to go and wherever I end up, I end up." I chuckled and looked out the window.

The guy laughed, "That sounds fun. By the way, what is your name?"

"I'm Hyungwon. You?"

"I'm  Hoseok, but people call me Wonho." Wonho smiled again, "Welp, here is to our time together, Hyungwon." He said before turning the radio on and singing loudly to everysong that played.

 

We drove for quite a while, singing and talking about everything. I found out he is 18, a year older than me. Also, that he is a traveler.

"Ya know, I don't want to be like those rich old people that only go places because they have the money and are bored. I love actually experiencing things, seeing the back roads and nature. Experiencing a kind of life that some wish to have but are scared of embracing." Wonho chuckled and then looked over at me for a second, "Why are you out here by yourself?"

"Well, that is kind of an interesting story." I sighed, "I came out to my family and told them I was gay. They didn't take it well and they kicked me out. I guess I knew that was going to happen but I was hopeful."

"Oh. Well, when something bad hits you, good things tend to follow. At least that is what I have observed, and I hope you find what you are looking for." He smiled and started to tap his fingers on the steering wheel to the music. 

 

A while passed in a comfortable silence before Wonho spoke up again, "Is there anyplace specific you would like to go?"

"Well, not particularly. Actually, if you don't mind, I would like to just continue to ride with you for a while. But I don't have to." I looked over at him and then out of the window. 

He laughed, "Nah, it's okay, you aren't bad company, I actually quite enjoy it. So, no I don't mind if you continue to tag along." 

I laughed and nodded and turned to look out of the window, rolling it down. It was a beautiful day, so sunny and warm and the colors from the different fields we were passing made the day seem even brighter. The smell of the fresh air made my worries and problems go away, washing over me with the scent of flowers and cut grass. 

Maybe being forced to leave was a good thing for me. Now I am seeing a side to the world I had been blind to, beautiful sights, genuinely nice people, and freedom, something I didn't know I needed until it was given to me.

 

Soon it became twilight and Wonho sighed, causing me to look over at him. The strange light that hit his features made him look ethereal and more beautiful than I could imagine a person looking. I snapped out of my staring when he started to speak,

"Okay, Hyungwon, where should we stay for tonight? I personally think sleeping in the car is the best option." He looked at me and then back at the road. 

"Yeah, that works. I don't have much money anyway so that seem to be the best option if I want to eat in the morning." I chuckled as he nodded his head and started to look for a good place to pull over.

He soon found a place to pull over and got the car situated for us to sleep. He layed down and looked out of the windshield, and then looked at me, "Well, I guess it is time to sleep. Good night, Hyungwon."

"Good night, Wonho."