Prologue

Change of Fate

I flinched and turned away for a brief second as the screaming got louder. I had a bag in my hand full of my absolute necessities and I was standing in the doorway to a place I didn't seem to belong anymore. 

"If you ever come back here again I'll call the police!" 

The door was slammed in my face. I stared at it for a few seconds and then snapped out of the daze I was in. I turned quickly and walked down the front steps, making my first few strides into an unknown world of hate and disappointment. 

I guess, parents really are liars. The unconditional love they say they give isn't really. The fine line between love and hate likes to break very easily. Is it still considered love when a parent kicks their child out just for being different? For being themselves? 

I kicked a pebble out of my way as I walked down the chilly street. Cars past by once in a while, their light shining brightly into my eyes, making me squint and glare at the them. Life on my end seemed to be in a stand still compared to the families and teenagers driving past, blaring their music and having a great time.

Although, someone might describe my feelings toward them as jealousy, I actually am happy for them. And for myself. I think I knew for a long time that me being who I am, and my family being who they were, my hopes of coming out to them and making myself vulnerable were far fetched. 

I looked up from the ground and noticed many places were closing. That made sense since it was already after 10pm, but I guess I didn't realize. I needed to find a place to stay or I'd end up getting stuck sleeping on a bench. 

I looked around, slightly panicked. I quickly found a very cheap motel and I wasn't in the position to be very picky. So I walked quickly, confident that they would be open for quite a while longer. 

"Yes?" The old lady at the desk said as soon as the bells chimed.

I walked towards her, "I need the cheapest room you have. Just for one night."

The lady looked up at me and pulled out the guestbook, "Okay, that will be $30. I just need your name." 

"Chae Hyungwon, Ma'am." I said, and placed the money on the counter.