Follow-Up

Sparks

Abi wasn't happy with how I ended this at first, and since this was a gift fic for her, I wrote a little follow-up. She also wrote a good portion of this, by the way (basically every good part in here) so kudos to her.


He followed Wang Yuan until long after his legs should have reached their limit - but Junkai only felt a strange source of numbness. He contented himself by watching the back of Wang Yuan’s dark hair and talking to him. Junkai’s little psychiatrist voice in the back of his head was whispering something to him about this being not right, not healthy, but Junkai shoved that down.

 

“Come on, Wang Yuan, where are we going?” Junkai whined. He wanted to shove Wang Yuan playfully, but restrained himself.

 

Wang Yuan laughed and looked over his shoulder at Junkai, sending him a small smile. “Xiao Kai, be patient!”

 

Finally, they stopped. Night had long fallen, and the sky was dark and clear. Junkai watched Wang Yuan’s dark head disappear into the shadows, blending in more and more until Junkai couldn’t see him.

 

“Wang Yuan?” Junkai looked around frantically, but couldn’t find him. He turned in a circle, searching for Wang Yuan, and realized that he was on a bridge, looking over the edge.

 

When Junkai looked to the side again, he finally found Wang Yuan perched on the railing, his pale skin stark against the night sky. Wang Yuan’s eyes crinkled in a smile. “Junkai, come on!”

 

Junkai watched as Wang Yuan leaned backwards off the railing and fell down, down, into the water. The water didn’t ripple as Wang Yuan’s body made contact with it. He looked so beautiful - he fell like a swooping bird, gracefully floating through the air and melting through the water.

 

Junkai watched in awe at first, and stood there silently for a couple seconds after Wang Yuan fell. He strained his eyes as far as he could see, but Wang Yuan’s shape turned smaller and smaller until he was just a speck - and then he was gone.

 

The fact hit him like a bucket of cold water. Was Wang Yuan gone again?

 

He felt his hands begin to tremble and his eyes dart from side to side. His mouth silently formed the same words over and over again as he broke out into a sweat.

 

Wang Yuan?

 

Wang Yuan, where are you?

 

Clutching the railing with white knuckles, Jackson looked over the edge to the misted water where Wang Yuan once was.

 

“Wang Yuan…” Junkai whispered quietly, disbelievingly. “Wang Yuan… You’re not… leaving?”

 

His voice trembled as he pleaded to the pitch black night.

 

I’m here, Xiao Kai.

 

Wang Yuan?

 

I love you, Xiao Kai…

 

The whispered words curled around him like tendrils of smoke. He felt lighter, almost giddy.

 

Junkai took a deep breath and climbed onto the railing, falling backwards like he had just seen Wang Yuan do. He kept his eyes open, staring at the stars, even as his body hit the water, sending ripples across the surface.

 

***

 

When Junkai next opened his eyes, the first thing he noticed was that it was bright. Junkai had to shield his eyes for a moment to get accustomed to the light.

 

“Wang Yuan…?” Junkai choked out. He pushed himself up, scanning his surroundings. He turned around, and there he saw Wang Yuan crouched next to him. Wang Yuan smiled and reached out a hand to Junkai, pulling him up.

 

“Hey.” Wang Yuan smiled, eyes crinkling at the corners.

 

“Hey.” Junkai replied. He looked at Wang Yuan dazedly for a moment before suddenly pulling him into a rough hug. Somewhere, distantly, Junkai was surprised that his arms didn’t go right through again.

 

Junkai suddenly realized he was crying, but he couldn’t bring himself to do anything about it. Wang Yuan pulled back and wiped away Junkai’s tears. “Why are you crying? Don’t cry.”

 

“Is this heaven?” Junkai gasped, clutching at Wang Yuan’s hand anxiously, afraid that he would disappear again.

 

“What makes you think that?” Wang Yuan asked, a knowing twinkle sparkling in his eyes.

 

“You’re here. You’re really here.” Junkai laughed excitedly.

 

Without warning, Junkai grabbed Wang Yuan’s chin and pulled him in for a kiss. He closed his eyes and reveled in the sensation - Oh how he had missed it.

 

Wang Yuan, finally, pulled back, his eyes shining. “Did you know,” he grabbed Junkai’s hand, “that they have amusement parks here?”

 

Junkai’s tears were happy tears, now. Wang Yuan tugged at his hand. “Come on, it’ll be fun!” Junkai smiled, and let himself be pulled along.

 

***