Chapter 4: Passionate Flame

Universal Power
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Passionate Flame:

 

Hayan:

For the next two days they just traveled, Professor Haru forcing Hayan to sleep in the same tepee as the others, though that just led to a tense and awkward nights’ sleep because no one wanted to say anything with her around. Or maybe it was because of Baekhyun for once who had kept his never shutting mouth sealed since they left the canyon. Hayan wasn’t sure, but that stopped her from getting anywhere close to a good rest those two nights.

When they stopped for the third night they were just on the edge of a ridge full of caves that had them all on guard. They didn’t know what was living in the collection of holes, but it was silently agreed upon that they would move on quickly the next morning to get away from it as quickly as possible. As usual Professor Haru gave no clue to their next destination, nor what they were bound to face, which also kept the group antsy and on their toes.

Hayan had been left in charge of cooking that night while the others prepared the tepee and gathered wood. She didn’t argued or complained, she hadn’t even opened since her slip up on the bridge three days ago. She didn’t know what to say to anyone, so she figured it was best to just keep closed and her head down until the next test.

“Hmm, smells good,” a deep voice sounded from over her shoulder. Jumping at the sudden presence Hayan glanced back to see Chanyeol coming her way with an arm full of wood that he dumped on the fire that was going out.

He held his hand over the fire and caused the flames to rise higher and hotter which helped speed up her cooking of the skewered fish and pot of vegetable stew. She gave a small thankful nod to him as she returned her attention to cooking.

Chanyeol sat on a rock that was nearby as a chair joining Hayan by the fire, which she wished he didn’t do. She didn’t know how to interact with the others, even Chanyeol who had always been kind to her, though they weren’t close. She wasn’t closed with any of them.

“How are you feeling after that last test?” he suddenly asked gently.

Hayan’s breath hitched as her grip on the ladle tightened while she stirred the stew. She gave him a merge shrug as her answer.

“Cat got your tongue?” he joked with a husky chuckle.

Hayan bit her bottom lip keeping her silence.

The quiet dragged on for several minutes until Hayan decided the fish was done. She gathered them on a large platter pretending not to have heard Chanyeol’s innocent question.

“Hayan,” he said slowly. “No one is mad at you. We just want to keep us all safe and together,” he stated.

“We don’t always get what we want,” she muttered under her breath.

“What?”

She shook her head and handed him a skewer before turning back to the stew that was almost done. Her heart felt like it wanted out of her chest just to escape the guilt that was piling onto her shoulders.

A moment later a few others arrived and gathered to eat without stopping to ask if it was done. Soon everyone was gathered and Hayan was sneaking off with a single fish and a cup of stew to eat by herself. She curled up on a rock a good distance away from camp and ate, trying to keep her mind off of the things happening around them.

She was down to her last sip of stew when a new presence appeared in front of her. She was hesitant to look up, the smell that clung to them giving the person away before their face did. He smelled like lemon grass and summer dew.

“Hayan can we talk?” Baekhyun asked in the quietest voice she ever heard him use.

 

•••

 

Chanyeol:

Chanyeol watched Hayan slip away with the wave of guys arriving to eat. She barely took any food and he knew he wasn’t the only one who noticed her departure. He nibbled on the fish she handed him as he joined the upbeat conversation that the others had going on. They were teasing Jongin for getting spooked by a snake and Sehun couldn’t let it go without reminding them how high he jumped before teleporting away. Chanyeol chuckled with them while Jongin sulked.

After ten or so minutes of chatting and eating Chanyeol caught sight of Baekhyun slinking away into the night in the direction Hayan had fled in. A small proud smile crossed his face at his friend finally taking the first step at something almost six years old.

“Is it finally happening?” Jongdae asked elbowing Chanyeol in the side.

“Huh?” the redhead said turning to the guy at his other side.

“Baekhyun,” Minseok said pointing his skewer in said man’s direction.

“What about Baekhyun?” Chanyeol asked dumbly.

Most of the guys rolled their eyes at him before leaning in so they were all close.

“Is he finally stepping up?” Junmyeon challenged.

“About damn time,” Minseok said.

“What are you guys going on about?” Sehun asked in utter bemusement. “What is he stepping up to?”

“It’s not for baby’s ears,” Jongin cooed patting the boy’s head.

Sehun swatted his hand away with a muffled swear that had them all laughing at their childishness.

The laughter was abruptly cut off when a loud roar filled the clearing, bouncing off the rocks and making it sound even louder as the object creating it neared. There was a rumble and a burning red-orange light as a massive creature with a scaly body landed on the ridge of caves.

“Oh fu—,” Sehun muttered wide eyed like everyone else.

“Is that a dragon?” Jongdae voiced for the group.

“Sure looks like it,” Junmyeon said.

As if to confirm what was blatantly obvious the cre

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter