003

hell's angel

When Hoseok said he’s Lucifer, he’s really Lucifer. Yoongi sees as to why Hoseok, a fallen angel, deserved to be kicked out of heaven. And when they also said it is hell, it’s really hell—much more so when you’re working at its president’s office. A week spent working as a secretary to Lucifer felt like a year already for Yoongi. Just this week, he has approved more than half a million almost-dead people to enter hell. He has also served 700, 000 cups of coffee for the new hell citizens and heard lots of appeals from them just like he did. To his surprise, others didn’t say anything and just accepted their fate.

“Earth to Yoongi! How many times do I have to tell you that this doesn’t mean he’s going to hell?” Hoseok stands in front of Yoongi’s table, a hand on his waist and the other holding a paper right on Yoongi’s face. “Review these profiles. I can’t accept them here. I swear to God.” Hoseok looks at the ceiling and says, “You hear that God? I swear. You cannot just send people here just because they accidentally—I repeat, accidentally—ran over a kitten or a frog with their vehicles.”

Yoongi frowns. “Hey, they still killed a pet.”

Hoseok, grossed out of Yoongi’s defence, says, “A frog’s a pet to you?”

“Why? Isn’t it?”

“You took care of a frog before?”

“No.”

“See? Because they’re not pets.” Yoongi was supposed to say something back to Hoseok but Hoseok was quick to speak first before Yoongi says something, “I know you like it how fast your work can be with this kind of a Tinder app for approving profiles and just making the printer spit out their profiles for hardcopies but please. You can’t just swipe right for everyone. Is this what you did before? Swiping right everyone on Tinder?”

“Erhm, I didn’t use Tinder before.”

Hoseok turned his back and proceeded returning to his table. “No one cares, Yoongi.”

 

“When I said review everything, I didn’t say do it slowly. Can you work faster?” Hoseok plays with his office chair, going around the entire office. “If you do your work with the same pace you had earlier, I’d probably be so busy right now but guess what? I’m on my wheels instead! Ooh, I love playing but not inside my office, Yoongi.”

Hearing Hoseok’s complaint, Yoongi got agitated and works faster. He hates it when other people tell him what he was just about to do. Usually, when people do this to him, he no longer continues the work. But in this situation, he wants to do it for real. Seeing Hoseok parading around the office looking and speaking like a fool makes him want to finish everything and dump all the paper works on his desk, so that he will finally shut his mouth.

 

Three hours later, Yoongi rises from his seat and approaches Hoseok’s desk. He makes his footsteps loud enough to wake the dozing Lucifer. He carries a 12-inch thick load of papers on his hands and places it heavily on the desk, making a loud thump.

Hoseok gets startled of the noise and stands abruptly from his seat. “What’s that?” He sharply turns his head left and right to check if anything broke in their office. He finally notices Yoongi standing in front of his desk with a blank expression.

“You may not love playing inside this office but sure as hell you love sleeping inside it. Am I right?” Yoongi turns around to leave.

“It’s not like that!” Hoseok tries redeeming himself but Yoongi is quick to leave the office before he finishes his rebuttal. He, then, surrenders and collapses on his office chair. Lord, if this is your punishment for all the wrongdoings I’ve done, I’m asking forgiveness now. Why is Yoongi so difficult? Why is he such a walking punishment for me?

 

It may have been easier for Yoongi to finish everything else if that one person who motivates him to do work remembered to remind him on going further. Maybe that three-hour work of reviewing all the profiles he has already seen could be cut down to an hour and a half if only… But, no. Yoongi didn’t receive any message or calls from that person the entire day.

Arriving from work, Yoongi plops down on the bean bag inside his room placed by the windows, over-looking the entire village. With his phone on his hand, he awaits for the message he hopes he’ll finally receive. It’s what he believes he deserves after that much work. It wasn’t really that hard. What’s hard in his work is dealing with Hoseok alone. Being with that moody and fussy Lucifer makes him consider quitting work but he has no choice; he has to wait for a year or unfortunately, a year and a half before he gets reassigned. If lucky, he’d be able to get reassigned entirely and go to heaven.

His phone vibrates just before the skies went dark.

 

“You did so well today, Min Yoongi.

You deserve to sleep well tonight!

But before that, eat your dinner, okay?

Sorry for not being able to message you earlier because some angel decided to stick with me today.”

 

“An…angel?” Yoongi says to himself. “Networks in hell only work within hell’s vicinity and the same works in heaven, as much as I know. But how come this unknown number which probably is a user from hell have an angel stay with him? Are there angels in hell?