1/1

A March Rain

The quiet pitter patter of a March rain pelted down onto their vehicle. Jonghyun laid his head gently against the window as he watched small raindrops slide down. He sighed and looked up, sleepily observing the serene scene around him. Minki had his head against Aron’s shoulder, both sound asleep against each other. Aron’s hand was wrapped loosely around Minki’s thin shoulders. Jonghyun smiled to himself and looked towards the front seat. Baekho was lazily jamming to some music on his phone.

Jonghyun chuckled and looked back down onto his phone. He was rewatching one of his favorite animes and the protagonist was doing something silly. He clasped his hand against his mouth to keep from laughing out loud. The episode was just about to end when it suddenly paused and his phone started vibrating.

“Who is calling right in the middle of the night?” He voiced out confused. He didn’t bother looking at the caller ID and immediately answered it without a second thought.  

“Hello?”

“Hello Jonghyun-ah, staying up late watching anime again I see. Hmm.”

Jonghyun didn’t need to guess who this was just by hearing that oh so familiar nagging tone on the other end.

“Mmm you have no reason to judge me when you’re also awake right now Minhyunnie.” He smirked feeling a little victorious at his words.

Minhyun chuckled that familiar laugh which made Jonghyun unconsciously gulp at that moment.

“I just wanted to see how you were doing Jjuya, you’ve been working so hard lately that I am worried. Plus you have that 3-day concert coming up as well. Make sure you rest!”

Jonghyun’s cheeks warmed at Minhyun’s concern and he cleared his throat trying to unfluster himself.

“Yes mom, no worries, I will be fine.”

He could practically feel Minhyun roll his eyes on the other end. The conversation suddenly came to a content lull with nothing but the slow drum of rain being heard. The quiet breathing of Minhyun calmed Jonghyun in a way. Knowing that Minhyun is still there looking out for him, no matter the distance, puts some ease on his heart. He lifted his head from the car window and looked up at the sky. The rain coming to a slower drizzle as pitch black engulfs the city.

“Mmhmm…..Jonghyun-ah?”

“Yes?”

“Congratulations on having the solo concert- let the other members know I am happy for them too.”

“Thank you Minhyunnie, I will let them know.”

He could feel Minhyun smile through the phone and suddenly heard a yawn soon follow after.

“Yah, you’re judging me on why I am still awake but who’s the one yawning right now hm?”

Minhyun chuckled. “Okay okay you got me. But I just wanted to hear your voice one more time before I fall asleep.”

Jonghyun blushed even harder.

“You’re so greasy.”

“But you love me.”

“You’re right I do love you.”

The other end became silent and Jonghyun knew Minhyun was just as red as he was now. He smirked.

“Jonghyun-ah?”

“Yes?”

“I miss you.”

Jonghyun looked out at the early morning sky. The grayish clouds slowly rolled past the full moon. The light shining brightly down onto their car.

“I miss you too Minhyun-ah.”

Minhyun didn’t respond immediately.

Jonghyun smiled that bittersweet smile he had come quite accustomed to over the years and decided to continue.

“Minhyunnie, I want you to know that I am proud of you. No matter where you are at the moment, remember I am always proud of you Minhyun. We will achieve all our dreams together like we’ve always wanted one day. That’s a promise.”

Minhyun sighed through the other end. Almost as if he was letting out a sigh of relief.

“You always knew the right words to say Jjuya. Thank you.”

“Well I’m not the leader for nothing.”

That finally made Minhyun laugh again and put Jonghyun’s heart at ease.

“Goodnight Minhyunnie.”

“Goodnight Jjuya. Don’t stay up too late watching anime, okay?”

Jonghyun chuckled and hung up. He looked at the date and placed his phone back into his pocket.

March 15th, 2018.

He felt memories of six years pass through his head in a flash. The good and the bad. All of it shaping up to this very moment. Through all of the events that have happened, they made it. And they made it together.

He smiled up at the sky as the the sun started to creep up from its slumber. He closed his eyes as he felt himself relax for the first time in awhile.