FINAL

Remember My Name (I Won't Forget)

"Rian?"

"Yah Rian-ah!"

"Lee Rian are you ignoring us?"

"LEE RIAN!"

Jinyoung whips around, eyes wide in fear. There's two boys standing behind him, both looking slightly confused and upset.

"Were you ignoring us Rian?" The one with the big, sparkly eyes asked. Jinyoung gulps, unsure how to answer.

He wasn't trying to ignore them, he just had more important things to care about. Like how he ended up in the body of a girl.

He doesn't know how this happened, he just woke up today and noticed something felt off about his body.

There was a weight on his chest that wasn't there before and somehow he felt... shorter?

So he slapped his hands onto his chest in a sleepy daze. There were two lumps there that wasn't there before.

Jinyoung furrowed his brows in confusion. This felt... nice.

So he fondled the two lumps for a while before eventually opening his eyes. Even if he wanted to stay in bed, he had to get ready for school.

He got up of the bed, dragging himself to the closet with half-opened eyes,only to stumble back as he hit something that wasn't supposed to be there. Finally opening his eyes, Jinyoung noticed something.

Wait... this room looked... different?! 

His eyes snapped open as he finally noticed that the room wasn't his. Where was he?!

Hurriedly he moved over to the full-length mirror in the room to check himself out only to scream at his appearance.

He had s!?

°°°

Jinyoung had s. And long hair with a pale face, large chocolate brown eyes, a narrow nose and pouty lips.

When had he become a girl?!

Why was he a girl? He was a male and had been for the last seventeen years of his life!

He was supposed to be the same as the two males in front of him but instead he was now in the body of a girl, and had to play the part of the body's owner Lee Rian.

"Um... I was just.. distracted! You know how it is, busy with school work and all. Hehe." He let out a nervous giggle and awkward smile.

As much as he would like to yell and scream that he wasn't Rian, Jinyoung knew people wouldn't believe him and would brand him as insane and put him away in a mental institution.

There was no way that was going to happen to him, so until he figured a way out of this situation he would just have to try his best to act as Rian.

"How long are you going to use that excuse? We already know you're lying." The other boy spoke up. He had a poker face on and felt a little intimidating, making Jinyoung take a step back.

"Woojin's right Rian. If there's something wrong you can tell us. You know we'll help you." The sparkly-eyed boy stated, eyes filled with concern.

Jinyoung could feel a lump forming in his chest and pain squeeze at his chest though he didn't understand why at first. He quickly realized that this wasn't his reaction, rather it was her reaction.

It was Rian's body acting this way.

Why? Was she actually keeping something from them?

Jinyoung's confused, but hides it under a smile. "I'm fine. No need to worry."

The two boys aren't convinced by the looks on their faces but let it go, slinging their arms over his- her(?) shoulders. This felt so weird realizing that he actually was in the body of a girl. Jinyoung shivers slightly and resolves to quickly get this figured out so that he can go back to his own body.

°°°

He doesn't get it figured out quickly.

Jinyoung's spent the whole day in this body and has even gone to the bathroom while in it because he just couldn't hold it in anymore. He had nearly went into the male bathroom before remembering that he was actually a female.

He cringed walking inside when a girl passed by him. He's so nervous that he imagined that they could see through him into the male within, but he got through it just fine, though a little traumatized by the whole ordeal. 

Everyone's looking at him weirdly, and it sets him on edge as he tries to get through the day.

Luckily everything seems to pass by without accident, and when he's back to the small apartment Rian calls home, he flings himself onto the bed.

Why did he bother to go to her university? Jinyoung should have just stayed home where it was safer. But unfortunately the girl had a project that had to be handed up by today and he wasn't going to let her fail because of him.

Sighing, he pushed himself off the mattress, looking around the small apartment as though it might give him clues.

It doesn't, not unless he actually bothers to look for it.

Jinyoung doesn't want to stay in this body for any longer, the faster he returns, the faster he can pretend this was all just a dream.

But he felt... so..tired...

Jinyoung was sure he had gotten a full night's sleep, so it must be that Rian had stayed up late the night before that made him so tired.

He just wanted to collapse onto the bed and sleep the day away, and it was quite a tempting thought.

Ugh, whatever. Jinyoung gave in, flopping himself back down. He could sleep now and figure things out later.

And with that he drifted off into dreamland.

°°°

"Jinyoung?"

He snapped his head up to meet Hwari's eyes, and his heart pounded harder in his chest.

What was he doing with her?

Jinyoung had never thought of himself as a cruel person, but right now he was just leading her on.

He couldn't love her. Not in the way she deserved.

Jinyoung knew he had to keep it to himself. They were with his mother, and Hwari didn't deserve getting her heart broken like this.

So he puts on a neutral expression and answers back, "What is it?"

"You seem to be taking a long time up here..." She answers, and he can tell that she feels like she's intruding.

Jinyoung softens and shakes his head. "I was about to go downstairs." He lies, moving towards the door and ignoring the pound of his heart that tells him to go back.

He quietly puts the red bracelet into his pocket.

Even though he tries his best, he can't stop himself from being distracted, and it was clear that his mother and Hwari notice by the way they keep glancing over to him in concern.

"I think it's time we go back Jinyoung. You seem tired." He can't bring himself to argue back and his mother tells him to go back and rest.

Once they're at the car, he moves to take the wheel when Hwari suddenly reaches out to stop him. "Let me drive instead. I don't think your in the condition to drive back."

Yeah, Jinyoung definitely wasn't. So he gives her the keys instead and takes the passenger seat instead.

He lays his head against the glass, watching as the scenery flashed pass the window.

Rian. Rian. Rian.

The name repeats in his head like a mantra. Jinyoung doesn't want to forget, not like the last time.

So he closes his eyes, and repeats that name once again.

°°°

He watches the name on his arm curiously.

The writing is curly, but neat. Jinyoung doesn't know why he seems to like it so much.

I'm Lee Rian. I'm in my second year of college studying film design. What about you? Who actually is Bae Jinyoung?

It's the first writing he's ever gotten from her. He got the idea to write down questions on a piece of note-it note that he left on her bedside stand and it seems to have worked by the reply he's gotten.

Jinyoung knows writing on his skin is not good, to be honest he doesn't really understand why she didn't just write it on the paper he has laying around his room. But he isn't all that bothered that this could increase his chances of skin cancer.

In fact, he actually finds it sort of...cute.

And a shy smile blossoms on his face.

°°°

A smile blossoms on his face as he watches Hwari sing loudly to the song playing on the radio.

Usually she's a lot more serious while driving, but she knew he was in a bad mood and this was her way of trying to cheer him up.

"Yah, focus on the road." He scolded lightly, and Jinyoung rolls his eyes when Hwari sticks her tongue out at him childishly before doing as he says.

His chest feels lighter, and he knows who he has to thank for that.

"Thank you." He mutters, and Hwari glances over to him, confusion present in her eyes.

"What for?"

"Just... everything." I'm sorry. I'm so sorry.

And like that, everything goes black.

°°°

Everything went black.

And when Jinyoung wakes up again, he's in his room, except this time it's not welcome.

Something's wrong. Something's terribly wrong.

One moment he had been fine, and then he started feeling faint. Recently it had been happening a lot whenever he's in Rian's body, but it was exam season and she had written that she was up late studying.

Rian always overworked herself and it worried Jinyoung to no end. 

He assumed it would go away after a while, and then his legs gave out and he hit the floor.

Jinyoung doesn't know what happened next. And that is what worries him.

They must have sent her to a hospital right?

If only he knew which hospital, but he at least knows that she's studying in the Seoul area.

It shouldn't be that difficult to find her.

°°°

It's extremely difficult to find her.

Jinyoung has been wondering around different hospitals the entire day to try to find her, but he just can't seem to.

Either there's no patient named Lee Rian, or it's a person with the same name. 

It's frustrating.

Jinyoung feels like tearing his hair out at this point as he sits down on one of the plastic chairs in the hospital hallways.

Where is she?

It's this one question that has plagued him ever since this whole thing started.

Jinyoung can't seem to remember anything about where she is.

Where her apartment is, which college she's in, even what year she's in.

It all eludes his mind, and he's tried so hard to ignore it out of fear that something would go wrong.

Something was wrong. Something was really wrong.

And Jinyoung felt his heart drop even more as he stared at his wrist, watching as words suddenly appeared onto his skin.

I'm so sorry.

°°°

"I'm sorry!" Hwari apologised again.

"Stop that. It isn't your fault." Jinyoung sighed out, limping into the apartment.

Hwari had been apologising ever since he woke up at the hospital. Apparently a car had hit them, causing their own car to flip.

Jinyoung had a concussion and a broken leg because of it, while Hwari came out relatively unscathed except for a few bruises.

She seems to think that the accident was her fault by how much she has apologised despite the fact that Jinyoung doesn't hold it against her.

He plods onto the couch while the girl goes to take the mail that has piled up in the meantime.

As he stares up at the ceiling, his mind starts to wander, bringing up the memories that he had pushed aside.

"Jinyoung?"

"Huh? Who are you?"

It was her. It was her.

And he had... He said that he didn't know her.

Letting out a shaky breath, he buries his head in his hand. How could he have not recognised her?

Just thinking of her face, confused, upset and heartbroken, it breaks his heart in turn.

"Jinyoung, you have mail." Hwari returns, and he raises his head to look at her.

She hands him a white envelope. Immediately he gets a strange feeling.

To Bae Jinyoung

He... He recognises the handwriting.

It's Rian.

Heart pounding in his chest, he rips the letter open, eyes scanning the page.

I know you're probably surprised Jinyoung-ah.

Your probably wondering how I even know your address.

The truth is, I saw you the other day. I was surprised, and even went up to you, but you... You didn't recognise me.

I was really shocked. I didn't understand why you didn't recognise me.

I followed you to your apartment and saw you with a girl.

Your girlfriend.

That was when I knew. You weren't my Jinyoung.

I'm still not quite sure what's going on, but that's not the point of this letter.

Are you worried about me?

I hope so. 

I'm scared. I'm scared that you won't care because you don't remember.

I'm scared because I'm starting to realize that I may never get to see you again, to see Woojin and Jihoon again. I'm scared I may never get the chance to go out into the world and do what I want.

You don't even remember how we actually first met, when I handed you that red bracelet. Maybe that was the start of the connection between us, when the Gods decided that we had to go together, only to be ripped apart. 

I wonder, why must they be so cruel?

I'm starting to regret everything.

I wonder if I should have told you instead of hiding it. The first thing I did after getting my results was burn them so that there was no chance you could ever see it. I even hide my medicine in places I knew you would never look.

I wonder what would have happened if you found out.

But it's too late now isn't it?

All I can do is hope I make it out and can see you again.

You will remember me by then right?

I hope you will.

You will be able to forgive me right?

I'm sorry Jinyoung-ah.

I'm so sorry.

°°°

Jinyoung remembered.

Sometimes he wishes he didn't.