Chapter 4: Jungkook

You'll Never Walk Alone

He hit the wooden figure in front of him in frustration as he thought about all the challenges he had faced in the past week. Judging stares and sharp criticisms from people within the palace as some apprehended him for his lack of knowledge in the protocol within the palace. No walking beside the Crown Prince, only speak when spoken to, don't pry, don't look the princes in the eye and don't walk out with your back facing them. People judged him for being the bodyguard when his blood is nothing but dirty. The son of his father and his mother, a servant in the household became the personal bodyguard to the future king. It was the first time that someone like him managed to hold such position within the palace and envy resonated amongst all the guards who believed they were better than him. But among the people who were willing to destroy him was someone with the most charming boxy smile and the most angelic personality who did not treat him differently just because he was a bastard. Someone other than his prince who would look past his status and focus on him as a person but his loyalty to his prince is the wall that is preventing him from getting close to the Crown Prince.

"Careful Kookie-ah." he heard a deep voice behind him. He froze before relaxing after noticing who it was behind him. He turned around only to see his brother looking at him worriedly whilst holding his book in his hand and dressed in a white hanbok indicating that he had just come back from the lessons in Sungkyunkwan. Out of courtesy, Jungkook bowed at his older brother who just dismissed his action and walked towards him instead to check for injuries. Ever since they were young, his older brother had always looked out for him despite appearing cold at first. Wonwoo was always standing up for him when their father scolded him, Wonwoo was there when he was first seriously injured and it was Wonwoo who introduced martial arts to him and taught him how to read and write. Therefore, unlike many bastard children, Jungkook was privileged in a way that he had his brother who was a blessing from the heavens. 

"I'm fine hyung." Jungkook said quietly before Wonwoo put his hand down. He looked at Jungkook disapprovingly before sighing.

"Don't over exert yourself Kookie-ah. I don't want you to get hurt." 

"I won't hyung don't worry." Jungkook reassured his hyung before a mischievous glint appeared in his eyes. "Do you worry about Gyu this much too hyung?" Jungkook teased and a proud smile appeared on his face as a red flush started to appear on his brother's face who just bowed his head to hide his embarassment. He lightly hit his brother's arm which just resulted in Jungkook laughing in amusement. 

"Ah so you were talking about me. No wonder my ear was itchy." a new voice said, sounding smug. Both brothers turned to the newcomer before bowing their head as a show of respect. Mingyu just dismissed their bow as he gave Wonwoo a loving smile while Dongmin trailed behind him looking annoyed at heaven knows what. Jungkook gave him a questioning look but he just shook his head.

"What are you doing here?" Wonwoo asked the newcomers politely.

"I missed you." Mingyu replied instantly while watching Wonwoo fondly as a blush started to adorn his face. Wonwoo just coughed and looked away in embarassment as Dongmin rolled his eyes. "Apart from that, I came to ask Jungkook about how he's finding his new job. Are people treating you well Kook?" 

"They are your highness." Jungkook replied when the question was directed at him. Mingyu just sighed in irritation because he doesn't like it when Jungkook speaks to him with so much formality. Jungkook just smiled sheepishly. "I mean the palace was great. The Crown Prince is very talkative."

"He's always like that." Mingyu said in an affectionate tone before he realised his mistake and instantly placed his usual blank look on. "It's annoying."

"You don't have to put on that act around us Gyu." Wonwoo remarked gently. Dongmin and Jungkook nodded in agreement but Mingyu just shook his head before taking Wonwoo's hand and dragging him inside the house, not saying anything further. Mingyu is always like this, evasing at the mention of his older brother or when the mask he puts on starts to slip. Nobody knows the reason why he's like that but Jungkook has witnessed first hand how different Mingyu can be when it comes to his older brother. In front of the Crown Prince, he has a cocky and mean attitude but when talking about the Crown Prince, he always slips up and would sometimes affectionately comment about his brother. 'Him and I used to be close when we were younger' . 

"What are you thinking so hard about?" Dongmin questioned. Jungkook looked at him and noticed that he was already seated in the table placed in the yard. Jungkook thought hard enough and realised that the only one who could possibly answer all the questions he has is Dongmin since him and Mingyu have grown up together in a way. He walked towards Dongmin and sat beside him before asking all the questions he had been itching to ask. 

"What happened to Mingyu and the Crown Prince? He told me they used to be close when they were younger." 

"Who told you that? Mingyu?" Dongmin asked, surprise painted all over his face. 

"No. The Crown Prince did." Jungkook responded. Dongmin didn't say anything for a while so Jungkook wondered whether he was asking for something he shouldn't be asking for. He wondered if he has crossed the line but Dongmin just sighed before answering.

"Mingyu and the Crown Prince were close when they were younger. Mingyu looked up to him and thought of him as this great older brother who he truly aspired to be. He wanted to be everything the Crown Prince was. He wanted to be as outgoing, as smart, as kind and as thoughtful as his older brother but something happened and it caused him to change. The Mingyu you probably see in the palace is not the real Mingyu. He only lets his guards down when he's with Wonwoo hyung because he doesn't wholeheartedly trust anyone in this world apart from your brother." Dongmin explained. 

"But he is as kind as Taehyung. He gave me this chance-"

"He gave you a chance by taking a risk. He would take any risk if it means he could put a smile on Wonwoo's face. Everything he does is for Wonwoo and along the process, he's grown to truly care for you like a brother too. The risk he took would have lost him the King's favour but he saw your potential and abilities and decided it shouldn't be wasted."

"Why appoint me as the Crown Prince's bodyguard then?"

"Because that is the best thing he could do for you. You can't be Mingyu's bodyguard because he isn't the Crown Prince and maybe subconciously, Mingyu wants to make sure that his brother is protected by the best swordsman of Joseon. Just, don't let the Mingyu in the palace change your perception of him."

"I won't. I'm loyal to his highness even until my death. I owe him my life after everything he's done for hyung and I." Jungkook declared. Dongmin just smiled dazzlingly at him and comfortable silence took over. Jungkook wasn't the closest to Dongmin since among all of them, Dongmin was more reserved and only opened up to Mingyu. Even though it has been five years since Jungkook joined the group of friends, he only knows three things about Dongmin; he is the son of the Minister of Justice, his older brother is the famous 'Ice Prince' Lee Taeyong and he is the closest to Mingyu. He would like to ask but it seems like Dongmin would just shut him down and evade the question unless he feels like it is a necessity to answer. When Mingyu first introduced him to the group, Yugyeom was the one who tried to get close to him first because he was the most sociable out of all of them and then it was Jaehyun who would try to help him out as much as he could. It wasn't until recently that Dongmin started to warm up to him. Wonwoo explained to him that it's not because Dongmin looked down on him that he was distant, it was just his personality since Dongmin is reserved. When Wonwoo voiced his concerns to Mingyu, Mingyu took initiative and tried to make Dongmin and Jungkook closer and the former also wanted to solve the misunderstanding which had led to him trying to be there for Jungkook. A loud bang that resounded throughout the whole residence broke Jungkook away from his thoughts and he reached for his sword as an unfamiliar man appeared in front of him looking panicked. It was only when he looked closely that he realised it was Mingyu's eunuch that he put his sword down and called for the Prince who appeared almost immediately with Wonwoo behind him. The young Prince looked at the eunuch questioningly, silently ordering him to speak.

"You are needed in the palace your highness. His majesty has collapsed and the whole palace is in chaos."