Chapter 2: Jungkook

You'll Never Walk Alone

Chatter filled the air as some women in hanboks moved around the yard carrying bottles of liquor while others entertained various gentlements in different rooms. Other women were dancing gracefully across the stage as music was played beautifully. Among these sea of beautiful ladies were two beautiful young men who stood near the entrance politely greeting the guests who came to visit the popular establishment. They bowed until their backs hurt while plastering a smile on their faces. Each time a gentleman, young or old, entered the gate they would simultaneously say 'Welcome to Crystal Snow. Enjoy you your stay sir' as it is a well known fact that the visitors are part of the minority, the ruling class since they are the only ones who could afford the expensive fees of the most popular gisaeng house in all of Joseon. Everyone knows that the most beautiful faces belong in Crystal Snow and people all around the nation would at least pay a visit at least once and leave with no regrets. The fees paid are worth the time given to each visitor since they are given the entertainment they deserve. The reputation of the establishment started with the famous Jung Soo Jung, the most beautiful gisaeng in Joseon who was also one of the co-founders of Crystal Snow alongside her equally as beautiful best friend Park Jimin. When Soo Jung disappeared, she left her legacy rooted in the name of Crystal Snow. The disappearance of Soo Jung still remains a mystery since nobody knows where she went and why she disappeared. 

"Why the long face?" a voice said. One of the young men at the entrance instantly looked up and his face brightened up straight away. 

"Jungkookie!" he exclaimed in excitement. The man, Jungkook, grinned back at the shorter male and his two front teeth became more prominent. Eye bags surrounded his eyes but the tiredness seemed to disappear as he saw the smile from the shorter. He reached out and ruffled the other male's hair and messing up his perfect topknot. The shorter pouted and glared playfully as Jungkook let out an airy laugh. "They're in the main room. They're already drinking so get in there before everything they say become incoherent."

"Thanks Jimin." Jungkook replied before turning to the other young man beside Jimin. "You better stop bowing too much Jihoonie or else you'll stop growing like your hyung." Jihoon just laughed at Jungkook's remark while Jimin reached out to slap Jungkook but it was too late since Jungkook had already started making his way to the main room. As Jungkook walked towards the main room, women stared at him and tried to get his attention but he paid them no mind as he had to get to his destination fast and by the time he reached the main room, he could hear laughter from inside. He opened the door and there were four young men who were sat around a table filled with food and bottles of liquor. As soon as the door closed, Jungkook bowed to everyone in the room but they all just rolled their eyes at him and motioned for him to sit down. 

"About time you came Jungkookie." the one in the grey hanbok said while smiling, dimples appearing in his face. 

"You definitely took your time." the one in the black hanbok added.

"Leave Jungkook alone. He was probably too busy conversing with Jimin outside." the beautiful pale one said as he gave Jungkook suggested looks. 

"Or he was probably busy drawing attention from the women outside because of his broad shoulders." the tanned one said while giving Jungkook a wink at the same time. The four in the room just laughed as Jungkook playfully glared at the other four while sitting between the one in the black hanbok and the beautiful one and putting his sword under the table. 

"We're just playing with you don't worry." the beautiful one said while giving Jungkook a kind smile.

"Thank you Dongmin. Anyways, what's the meeting for?" Jungkook inquired as he reached across the table for some food while Dongmin gave him a glass of rice wine. The other two just looked at the tanned one who pointed at himself before rolling his eyes. 

"It's been a while since we all had a meal with each other." the tanned one said as he drank another glass. 

"Yeah Kook Mingyu's right. You're always so busy. Heaven knows what you're up to." the one in Jungkook's right said.

"I've been training Gyeom. What did you expect? Plus aren't we all busy? Jaehyun you've got to study so that you could take office like your father the Right State Councillor, Gyeom you have to train like me to lead the army and Dongmin would probably be the next Minister of Justice. Don't get me started on his highness over there." Jungkook ranted as the room filled with silence. Nobody dared to speak because they know that Jungkook is not entitled to the same luxury as the rest of them. "I don't have it as easy as you all."

"Sorry Kook." Jaehyun said quietly, guilt filling him up. Yes he needs to study but at the end of the day he knows that he would already have a place in the government office even if he doesn't do as well as the rest. His father was after all the Right State Councillor, one of the highest ranked nobles in all of Joseon. Yugyeom nodded along as he patted Jungkook consolingly in his shoulder. He was also aware that life is a lot easier for him since he was the King's nephew so he would not need to work as hard as Jungkook. 

"Jungkookie we're all working hard but we're aware of the fact that you need to work twice as hard ,if not, more than us for you to reach our position. We're sorry if we offended you in some way because we know how sensitive you can be but the only one who could change that is Mingyu over there." Dongmin stated gently but firmly while gesturing to the tanned one. 

"Dongmin's right. I want to help you Kook and give you an opportunity to showcase your skill. I want you to show people that you can be skillful despite your status and I know that you're the best in the nation." Mingyu declaired.

"Are you just saying that because you mean it or are you just saying this for Wonwoo hyung?" Jungkook quizzed smugly causing the room to erupt in laughter as Mingyu turned red. The room filled with teasing taunts while Mingyu awkwardly cleared his throat as he looked away from the rest of the group. The tension within the air soon disappeared as the group went back to their normal banter, but this time teasing Mingyu. Jungkook scratched his head as he tried to remember something until he felt something in his pocket which instantly reminded him of the task that was asked of him before he left his house. He carefully took the envelope out of his pocket and cleared his throat. "Mingyu this is for you. Hyung asked me to give it to you." Jungkook said as he handed the letter over to Mingyu who eagerly opened it. The room went silent as Mingyu's usually blank fance instantly lit up and all the stress that previously covered his face instantly disappeared. The group watched as their Prince finally seemed at peace despite his face looking so red it would burst. When the group eventually calmed down, Yugyeom reached over and grabbed the letter from Wonwoo before reading some words in an over exaggerated tone. 

"My dear prince, I hope you are taking care of yourself well. Don't worry about what you asked of me, I will take care of it. My loyalty to you is as limitless as my love for you and I pray to the heavens each day that no harm would come your way. I pray for the day that you will finally be happy and at peace.  I am saddened at the fact that we would rarely meet each other, I dearly miss you. Please look after my dear brother Jungkookie, he means the world to me." 

'Ooh's' and 'aah's' filled the room as soon as the group teased their prince who buried his face in his hands. Jungkook just smiled knowing that his brother is happy despite all the pressure that he's under and knowing that their bratty prince is the cause of it still baffles him to this day. But then again, he has witnessed Mingyu following his brother around like a puppy when they were younger since Wonwoo was one of Mingyu's royal playmate considering the fact that their father is the Left State Councillor. He watched as Mingyu did everything his brother asked even if he wasn't supposed to do so because it went against royal protocol. He was a bystander to the developement of his brother and his best friend's relationship and he had more knowledge of it than anyone else. He was there when his brother was sad that Mingyu would not be there as much anymore due to his growing responsibilities and he was there when his brother started to have less time for Mingyu due to his studies. Most importantly, he was there when his brother and Mingyu were able to piece their relationship back before it crumbled. 

Mingyu reached over to grab the letter from Yugyeom's hold before he placed it over the fire, burning all the evidence of their love that wasn't supposed to exist. When the letter finally turned to dust, Mingyu turned to Jungkook and the atmosphere suddenly became serious.

"As I was saying before I was interrupted, I want you to showcase your skill Kook. You are easily the best swordsman in all of Joseon and I want you to work in a place that is deserving of your skill. I'm not saying this because of Wonwoo, I'm saying this because I believe in you and I believe in your skills." 

"I swore my loyalty to you the moment you looked past my status and included me in your circle. I will do anything you command your highness." Jungkook confessed much to the astonishment of the rest of the group. 

"It won't be a command Jungkook-ah. You will decide if you want to take the job or not because I want to give you a choice. I won't force you to do something you would not be happy doing."

"May I ask what the job is?"

"You will protect the second most important man of this nation. You will guard him with your life and you will not let harm come his way."

"Wait. You mean-" Jaehyun blurted out but was unexpectedly cut off by Dongmin.

"Yes, he means the Crown Prince Taehyung. He wants his older brother to be protected by the best swordsman because of his brother's unexpected choice of bride which elicited a very negative reaction within the royal court. This means that the Crown Prince's life could be in danger and Mingyu doesn't want his brother dead."

"I thought you hated him?" Yugyeom queried, confusion laced in his face. "How did you even know all of this?"

"I see Mingyu and his obnoxious brother most of the time when they accompany her majesty to visit our humble abode. During the visit I would listen to his rants and advice him in all his problems." Dongmin retorted while Mingyu tried to protest against Dongmin's snide comment regarding his older brother. 

"Anyways, think about it Kook. When hyungnim becomes King, you will be the person who would have the most say regarding security in the palace. People will answer to you and the role will be reversed. I've already talked to abamama and he told me I could recommend anyone for the job. Once you say yes, I'll tell him and he won't be able to say anything against it because he's already given his word." 

"I'll do it since you've worked hard to do this all for me your highness. I will protect your brother out of my loyalty to you and only you." 

"Thank-" Mingyu started but the door slammed open and Mingyu's personal guard Myungho came to view looking alarmed as he surveyed the room for any threats to the young prince's safety. Jungkook quickly reached for his sword, ready to protect Mingyu if ever needed. However, Mingyu raised his eyebrow questioningly as two more of his guards stood beside Myungho in a protective manner before they were pushed away by two enraged young men who barged into the room and glared at the whole group. 

"Mingyu! You were meant to be home an hour ago and abamama sent me to look for you! Do you not know what this does to my skin?! I should be sleeping right now but I had to look for your privileged backside! If abamama find out you're here he will definitely punish you." the taller one of the two furiously roared at his younger brother. Mingyu just rolled his eyes at his brother's actions and looked at Dongmin who sighed knowing that he was next.

"Lee Dongmin what did I tell you about staying out this late? The night is dangerous and you don't know what's out there! You know what I saw on the way here? I saw those thugs lounging around by the entrance! Heaven knows what would happen if they find out who you are. Heaven forbid you might be kidnapped and sold. Disgusting old men definitely wouldn't hesitate to buy you off the market-"

"Not as much as they would bid for me. I'm better." the taller obnoxiously stated. Both Lee brothers just rolled their eyes as Mingyu face palmed at his brother's antics. Yugyeom nodded in agreement whilst getting a slap from Dongmin, Jaehyun just gawked at the newcomers and Jungkook looked at the two in awe. This was the first time he's seen the Prince Seokwoo who was known for his beauty that could rival the Lee's and his unbelievably tall height. He's never seen anyone taller than Mingyu until now. This was also the first time he's ever seen Lee Taeyong, the popular 'Ice Prince' who was well known for his outstanding beauty and cold aura. People definitely weren't exaggerating when they talk about the Lee brothers and the looks of the Royal Princes. Even Jaehyun who is aloof most of the time seems to stare in wonder at one of the two. Jungkook was brought out of his thoughts when he heard a yelp coming from beside him and only then did he notice that Dongmin was getting dragged out by his older brother who looked mad but worried at the same time and after bowing at the Princes, they disappeared from view. Mingyu sighed and stood up while dusting the non-existent dust from his hanbok. 

"I'll send you a letter." he said before finally disappearing. He was soon followed by Yugyeom and Jaehyun who told him to take care before leaving with their respective escorts. 

Jungkook sat there for heaven knows how long before Jimin and Yoongi, the one who is in charge of security in the Crystal Snow and is mostly seen near the entrance, came to let him know that it was time for them to close up. He quickly grabbed his sword before bowing at the two shorter men and left the place. He knows he shouldn't get his hopes up at having a job as important as being the personal guard of the Crown Prince. It would be close to impossible for an illegitimate child of a noble to have a high ranked job but he believed that his Prince would keep his word. He wouldn't let him down because he never has. He always keeps his words. Maybe he should just wait for Mingyu to notify him of his position. That's the best option and for now, he should just keep this a secret from his brother until he gets the confirmation. He won't disappoint his brother this time.