Parting

Despair and Disparity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Being acquainted for a lifetime does not guarantee knowledge over a person’s true character. Woohyun regarded Sunggyu as a mentor, a role model, and a figure he desired to be. In the split moment of a second, whereby time elongated his doubts and disbelief, everything shattered.   Sunggyu’s eyes flashed a brief look of malice, one that penetrated the poor souls of the austere in a degrading manner. It conformed to whatever derision was formed of him. The usual friendly demeanor made a fast return, but not swift enough to erase one’s skepticism.   Such were the observations Woohyun had obtained before they headed to the coach. He wished to direct the question to his friend, yet dismissed his intention. His heart hadn’t prepare itself for a harsh truth.   Jineul remained unusually quiet, her eyes hollow and distant as she peered at the wooden floor of the coach. Her body shivered, causing the hair on her skin to jolt upward. Hyunmi wrapped a blanket around her, but her good intention could not fend off Jineul’s needs. It was not the cold weather that disturbed her, but the appearance of the devil.   “Poor Mr. Nam, your gullible beliefs has taken a toll on you,” Hyunmi soliloquised a whisper against Woohyun’s ear. Her words were carefully selected with the intention to chide him for befriending a monster.   “Gullible beliefs?” He raised an eyebrow. Never had he considered himself to be gullible. The fact that she—the subject of his beguiling compliments—would regard him in such a manner was unexpected.   “Why should a look of surprise embellish your face? Have you pertained no knowledge of the deplorable manners he operates his businesses with? It must be quelled,” Hyunmi spoke, stubbornly making her strong opinion known. She had always despised Sunggyu, but knowing he caused Jineul to succumb to a mental defeat set a new benchmark for her hatred.   Woohyun recalled his past memories, remembering the moments when he had been excluded from their meetings and discussions. He always deemed himself unworthy to their agenda, oblivious to the fact that they measured his worth through the rare benevolence he possessed. What sorts of debauchery was spoken during their clandestine gatherings? What details had he been abstained from?   “Your speech resembles the wisdom of a person whose awareness ventured for decades,” he veered at her.   “We may be robbed of our wealth, but we retain our intelligence,” Hyunmi spoke with a faint sneer, declaring their superiority against the upper class. Only an immense loathing could gauge her sudden arrogance.   How could he have forgotten? She declared herself to be a blue collar woman who valued wisdom above all else. She had seen her share of injustice, heard immoral tales being whispered through the crack of the walls, and met people who were runaway victims from such festered behavior. She had shown him mercy despite the crimes committed by his fellow aristocrats.   “Share with me your knowledge; you musn’t keep it to yourself. Do not spare the harsh details. I wish to hear them all.” His eyes peered through hers, an intensifying gaze that could be interpreted as both passion or anger. Had they not been discussing a grim topic, he might have threaded their hands together, brought his face closer, and observed the exact shade of chocolate in her eyes. But such was not the case.   “The average upperclass men run illegal businesses at night, cleverly disguising it as a regular enterprise by day. Considering Mr. Kim’s status as a famed tycoon, I presumed his ownership of such businesses.”   “You form your opinion based on your personal prejudice,” he spoke, stating a fact rather than questioning. The tone languished itself in disbelief, coming across as a faint accusation.   “Indeed. Most of the time, my assumptions prove to be truthful,” she said, watching the sternness he regarded her with. She flinched, biting her lips, and his eyes transfixed itself to that subtle movements. “At other times, the weight of my assumptions work against me, and my heart is more than eager to accept correction.”   A reluctant smile broke out on Woohyun’s face, knowing she spoke of him. Had they not been talking about the malign enterprises, he would have steered the conversation in pursuit of her opinion of him. She had mentioned her opinion had changed, and he wished her quite liking him morphed into something more effervescent.   “Do these operation affect the life of the innocent?” He asked instead, a question worth more pursuing at this critical moment.   “Hah! He is the devil himself! He finds pleasure in mauling the innocent. The male are shown leniency, but the female are treated no different from caged beasts, forced to perform ual favors in exchange for their lives,” Jineul spat out. Her fingers squeezed the blanket around her to the point her knuckles had gone white. She trembled, infuriated at the knowledge she was cursed to attain.   Everyone stared with disgust, not at her or what she was forced to become, but at the existence of such ill behaviors in their flawed society. No living creatures should be forced to such labor.   “Did he recognize you?” Hyunmi then questioned, making the connections that could place their situation in grave danger. Saving Jineul was a direct opposition to the law; they had stolen a worker from her workplace. Sunggyu could sue them—could ask for their house as an amendment.   “Why would Mr. Kim recognize…” Jangjun trailed off, noting the tense atmosphere he provoked. They hadn’t been told about Jineul’s origin, and seeing the grim expression on Rika and Joochan’s face, it seemed they had reached the same conclusion that was better kept hidden.   “That devil owns numerous places, but commands his pathetic followers to do his dirty deeds. He oversees all, but does not know the details. Sometimes he visits the orphanage, and selects the ones he wishes to buy,” Jineul spoke, choking on her own saliva as these dreadful words escaped her lips.   “Is that allowed?” Rika interrupted, face blanched from disbelief.   “What use is the law when people trust their prejudice over written rules? Children are sold to become slaves, which the orphanage allows in order to obtain funds to raise more children,” Jineul continued, the words bitter at her tongue.   The disgusting act became a vicious cycle that would always repeat itself. Children were sold off to nurture more children whose future had already been foretold. To think that the ones in authority—the judges and the law enforces—allowed such actions to happen sickened them to their core.   “How do you know all of this?” Jangjun carefully asked.   Jineul’s eyes twitched and casted a deadly glare at the floor again. Her hands folded into a fist, digging her nails into her own skin. Her body began trembling, invaded by anger and fear.   Woohyun understood immediately; she was one of them.   “From here on out, you are under our protection. Anyone who tries to lay a finger on you shall face a great punishment,” he said, meaning every words he uttered. His mind needed time to adjust itself to these gruesome details. After all, Kim Sunggyu had been one of his closest friends; an odd friendship formed on the basis of needing each other. It was mutually beneficial, but beseeched a one sided genuinity.   “Your words don’t comfort me! Those wretched beasts are more powerful than any of us can ever become. We can’t change things. We are doomed for failure,” Jineul spoke harshly.   “Mayhap, living under different circumstances could instigate a change,” Rika suddenly voiced, carefully gathering their piqued attention. “Mr. Myungsoo intends to train me into becoming a well famed female artist. I could start a change.”   She thought her suggestion was brilliant, but their meek expression believed she had been naive. Jangjun would usually defend and support her, but she dared not look to his direction.   “The world does not operate in that jolly make-belief delusions you cloud yourself with,” Jangjun sneered. He hated these words and hated lowering her morale. He could see it in her dejected pout and her slouched down shoulders. How he wished to beg for her forgiveness instead, and also tell her he loved her.   “The outcome may be uncertain, but doing nothing guarantees complacency, which is an excuse to be lazy,” Hyunmi said strictly, turning to Rika to speak of this matter. “Will you accept Mr. Kim’s offer and stay at his residence?”   “Yes!” She said eagerly, throdding her head with such excitement as if she had just learned the meaning of true bliss. “I assume he had asked your permission.”   “Both our permission,” Woohyun corrected, tapping his chin. “I wonder why mine was required.”   “Why, you are as a father to me as Hyunmi is a mother,” Rika said teasingly, staring at Hyunmi whose face flushed a little at her words. “What is required of me? When do I leave?”   “As soon as possible. Mr. Myungsoo is very eager to start your training,” Woohyun spoke, oblivious to Rika’s speech. He had a gullible side, indeed.   “So tonight will be her last night with us,” Joochan concluded with realization, eyes swiftly moving to the other boy.   “We must forget the sombre reality and celebrate tonight,” Jineul said, shooting her arms in the air as the blanket slid off her shoulder. For a moment, she could pretend to live a normal life, to know no devil, and to celebrate with the family she never had.   As Rika’s laughter drowned among the others, Jangjun was the only one looking away in silence.   ***   The news was relayed to the rest and they exhorted in extravagant cheers. Small achievements were worthy of jubilant celebration; this accomplishment redefined hope among their despair.   “Woohyun cook!” Dongwoo eagerly requested. He took an instant liking to Woohyun’s culinary skills, denying anyone else who tried to change his favoritism.   “Oh, yes! I wish to taste that wonder soup again!” Donghyun clapped his hand, jumping up and down in excitement.   “Why, you have given the nameless dish a name. How brilliant! For that reason, I must award you the largest bowl,” Woohyun played along, smiling as he caressed the little boy’s head.   “I could help you prepare it!” Donghyun repeated, even more excited when his ideas were being well received.   “Me too! Me too!” Dongwoo volunteered himself.   “Yet another splendid idea! What would I do without you both?” Woohyun asked. He took Donghyun’s hands in his and went to the kitchen. He caught Hyunmi staring at him with a look he had not expected, one of ardor. It tugged the strings of his heart, beckoning him to dwell longer in that gaze. However, Dongwoo and Donghyun pulled him away to other obligations. He would have to keep the visual in his mind for now.   The thought of joining them in the kitchen had crossed her mind, but Hyunmi dismissed them. The wealthy man was not to be trusted. He was charming. He was the thorns of a rose and not one to pursue. Her mind knew fa
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter