Chapter 1

Sad But True

I was in my first grade at that time when I first met him. We were neighbors. There were only 2 houses between his house and my family's house. We basically grew up together but we never share the same school. He was just my neighbor and my childhood friend. It all started when my mom and his mom became friends. My mom was always there on their house, talking with his mom almost every single day. Whenever I arrive from school and my mom was not at home, I always knew that she was in Baekhyun’s house. And so I went there to ask if my mom was there and he went out to answer my question.

“Hi, Baekhyun! Did my mom drop by here?” I asked.

“Yes! She’s inside talking to my mom.” He answered me while smiling.

“Oh! Do you want to come inside?” He asked.

“Uh, no thanks. I actually went here just to play outside so that when my mom comes, we’ll go home together.” I answered hesitantly.

“Ah. Do you want me to accompany and play with you?” He suddenly asked me while his eyes are twinkling.

“Are you sure you want to play with me? I’m a boring person” I shyly answered.

“Oh come on, you’re not boring! Want me to tell you a secret?” He whispered in my ear. I slowly looked at him in the eye and nod my head signaling that I want to listen.

“I actually want to play with you since the first time I saw you but I haven’t got the chance to say hi and introduce myself” He answered me while looking at the other kids playing in front of us.

Then suddenly my mom went of the house with his mom and saw us talking. “Oh? You’re here already? Since when?” My mom asked me.

“Hmm I got here 15 minutes ago and Baekhyun accompanied me here.” I answered.

“Oh that’s why this kiddo went out and never got back inside the house because you’re here already.” His mom looks at us with a teasing smile. “You know what, Baekhyun has a crush on you”

Baekhyun got shocked with his mom’s statement and said “MOM! Why would you say that?!” My mom, Baekhyun’s mom and I just laughed at his embarrassment.

“That’s okay, Baekhyun” I said while still chuckling. Baekhyun got really embarrassed and got inside the house with a red face.

When my mom and I got home, she told me to wash up while she prepares for our dinner. My older was already inside the room while doing her homeworks and I did the same after I washed up. After a while, my mom called us to eat so that after we eat, we can finish our homeworks then sleep afterwards.

 

My sister and I woke up early the next day because our shuttle service to school will arrive at 6:30am. We were always the first one to be fetched that’s why it’s early but class starts at 8am. The same thing happened every day until I developed some feelings for Baekhyun too.

Christmas holiday is fast approaching and it’s getting cold outside. Whenever we play, I use sweaters for me not to shiver while playing outside. Sometimes, Baekhyun invites us inside their house and there, we will play anything with his 2 other siblings.

Days have passed and it’s already New Year’s Eve. My dad went home that time since he’s working in another country for us. Despite being far from us always, he never forgets to have a vacation mostly on special occasions like birthdays, Christmas and New Years. My dad bought fireworks for the celebration later when the clock turns 12AM. I was in Baekhyun’s house that time but he’s not there. I was playing with my sister and his sisters. We went to their rooftop to play. When we were done playing, my sister and I decided to go home because my mom was probably waiting for us at that time. While we were going down, the staircase was totally dark. I cannot see what’s in front of me. I just had to make one wrong step and I literally fell down the stairs.

“Ouch!” I was groaning and luckily I covered my face while I fell. I immediately stood up and my sister and Baekhyun’s sisters came to me.

“Are you okay? Does it hurt? Why didn’t you look at where you were stepping?” They were literally asking me question by question.

“Hey, I’m okay I guess. I didn’t get any scratches and all. But I think I kind of bumped my head a bit too hard a while ago.” I reached out of my forehead and a part of it was swelling.

I got home with my sister after all that ruckus and my mom saw my forehead. “Yah! What’s that on your forehead? It’s New Year and you got a bump on your forehead. Happy New Year to you” My mom sarcastically said while getting an ice for me to aid my swelling forehead.

“I’m sorry, Mom. It’s just that the staircase in Baekhyun’s house is so dark and I didn’t saw the next step.” I guiltily answered.

“Whatever. Just put this ice first and your dad said that he’s near” I widened my eyes. Oh . I’m dead. Dad’s gonna scold me for sure.

5 minutes later my dad arrived carrying the fireworks to put it inside the garage first. He got shocked and yeah. He scolded me as well. Mom and Dad sure know how to make me feel bad at all times. Sighs. Then I suddenly thought of Baekhyun. Is he gonna get mad at me for being clumsy as well? I hope not. I don’t want him to know that I fell down their staircase but his sisters will tell him for sure. Ahhhhh!!! I’m bored. My bump hurts. I whined internally. I won’t let him see me like this. I need to cut my hair and put on some bangs. Yes! That’s what I need! I went inside the room and got some scissors. I faced the mirror and I slowly cut my hair for me to have a bangs. Oh? It fits me though? I look adorable. I internally giggled. I went out of the room and look for my mom. I saw my mom inside the kitchen cooking for our food later on. I decided to call for the attention of my mom.

“Mom! I cut my hair! Do I look good?” Mom looked at me. “Oh, you cut your hair to have a bangs. Why? You’re hiding your bump? Either way, it looks good on you though.” My mom ruffled my hair and decided to resume cooking.

 

The clock strikes at 12AM and its New Year already. We celebrated our new year like any other families. We lit up some fireworks, ate foods, took some photos, gave gifts to each other and the tradition of throwing coins inside the house for some lucky things. Morning came, we went out of the house to celebrate the New Year and attended mass. After that, I met up with some playmates and of course playmates means Baekhyun is one of them.

“Hi! You look cute today. Happy New Year!” He cheered so loudly. And did he just say I’m cute?!!?!?! I blushed at his comment and fortunately he didn’t saw it or I’ll be dead for sure.