Their Circumstances - Park Ji Soo

Case Code: Once

Their Circumstances - Park Ji Soo

                The cold wind blew past me as I stepped out of our house. Another year has come and, as usual, the first month is cold. I don’t have to check the news to know today’s temperature. Living here for almost 15 years, I know it by heart.

                I clutched on my coat seeking for warmth. I head off to the familiar road that I had been walking on for almost 7 years. Reaching my destination, I stopped and took a quick look on the familiar building in front of me. Sometimes this place feels like it’s my second home and sometimes, just sometimes, I feel like I’m not supposed to be here.

                JYP entertainment, I’ve been here since I was 8 and so, almost everyone here knows me. I really wish I can debut sooner but then it’s not up to me. I won’t be here for another 3 years right? As soon as that thought hit me, I shrugged it off.

                I entered an unoccupied practice room. Good thing I got here early. I placed my bag on the floor and usually I’ll start practicing but I’ve been feeling uneasy since I entered the room. It feels...empty. For some reason I feel empty, like something’s missing.

                I gazed at the empty practice room; I kept on pondering on what was wrong. Nothing came to mind, I took a seat on the floor and I fell asleep, blame it on me being early.

                “Yah! Give that back!”

                “Catch me then.”

                “Yah! Yoo Jungyeon! Give my phone back!”

                “Unnie won’t you stop them?”

                “Believe me, it’s useless.”

                “Park Ji Hyo!”

                “What?”

                “Do something about this ostrich!”

“-Soo…Ji Soo wake up.”

                I felt a nudge on my shoulder. I opened my eyes and saw Miss A’s manager.

“Unnie what is it?”

“You’ll catch a cold if you sleep like that.” She said as she patted my head.

“JYP told me to call you.”

“Eh? Why?”

“He never said anything. Also, it looked like he was waiting for someone else besides you.”

“Ah… could it be a new trainee?”

“You might be right.”

“Okay, I’ll go now.”

                I stood up and went to producer-nim’s office. I felt like I had a dream about something important. As I kept on thinking what it was, unknowingly, I reached producer-nim’s office. I knocked and as soon as I was given permission, I entered the room.

“Ji Soo, good thing you’re here.”

                I looked around the room and saw only producer-nim.

“What’s wrong?”

“Ah…it’s just that unnie said that there might be a new trainee.”

                Sorry unnie.

“About tha—“

                JYP-nim’s sentence was then cut off by a knock. As soon as he said enter, a girl about 19 years of age entered.

“I’m very sorry I’m late. I got lost on my way here.”

“It’s fine. Don’t worry, not a minute has passed since Ji Soo got here.”

                The said lady raised her brows. She turned her head towards me and then she froze.

“What’s wrong?”

“Ah…nothing sir, today’s very cold so… I tend to space out a lot.”

“Okay. Take a sit Ji A-ssi.”

                Ji A-unnie took a quick look towards my direction and then she took a seat. Is she uncomfortable with me? I don’t think I look intimidating though.

“Ji Soo, you might be wondering why I called you.”

                I only responded with a nod.

“You see Ji A applied for being a manager.”

“Not a singer or an actress?”

                I looked at unnie. Her looks were above average and she looks like she can act, sing and dance so I can’t help but wonder why she wants to be a manager.

“I…uh…it’s fun being a manager…?”

“Even I am curious.” JYP then laughed.

                Unnie looked at JYP and smiled.

“I have stage fright and besides, I don’t think I can handle being a celebrity.”

                Is she still the same person I talked to just now?

“You really don’t want to try being a trainee?”

“Yes, I don’t want to.”

“Okay. So Ji Soo, since you’ve been here for quite a while now, I want you to have someone that will accompany you. Ji A, since you were hired to be a manager you will be one but you still don’t have enough experience that is why I want you to be Ji Soo’s temporary manager.”

“But JYP-nim I am still a trainee. A trainee with a manager doesn’t make sense.”

“This is a part of Ji A’s training. And besides, you have to have someone that will do your schedules. Ji A will make your schedules and she will make sure that you do them.”

                I threw a quick glance at unnie and it’s pretty obvious that she doesn’t get what JYP-nim means. We’re on the same page. JYP-nim then said that Ji A-unnie being my temporary manager starts today and we’re chased out of the room.

“What in the world does he even mean?”

                I heard unnie’s mumble and decided not to reply.

“Ah right! We haven’t introduced ourselves yet. Even though I don’t know what JYP-nim is thinking and I don’t understand any of this, we’ll be together from now on. I’m Park Ji Soo!”

“Song Ji A” Unnie then shook my hand. Is unnie a half Korean?

“Right, Ji Soo can you tell me where the toilet is?”

“I’ll lead the way! Follow me unnie!”

                After a while, we got to the toilet.

“I’ll wait outside.”

“Okay.”

                Unnie then hurriedly went inside. I guess nature’s calling. I was busy on my phone when I heard a mumble.

“…can you guys shut up?”

                It was unnie’s voice, I wonder what's wrong. I almost took a peek and thank goodness I didn’t because unnie came out right at that time.

                I thought at that time that JYP-nim was the sole person I know whom doesn’t make sense at times but turns out, Ji A-unnie’s condition is worse. She might have a few loose screws. I don’t understand how she has stage fright.