2.0 Approaching Anew

Blurry Lines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

About 2:30 am, Nabi and Chanyeol are inside a coffee house. The former looks at the irony, really. Here she is, sitting, having the latter to get up and it isn’t really because she is the girl and the other is the male and he has to do more. Rather, here she is, sitting down on the chair before the wall because she is slightly drunk whereas him, hasn’t had even a drop of alcohol in his system for the night.

Placing down the cup of hot coffees on the table, along with two small slices of cake, Chanyeol wears a smile and takes a seat. The lady returns the same smile, something she wouldn’t really do if she’s sober and very conscious.

“You drink coffee, don’t you?” He asks, now wondering.

She hums. “Not as much as other people do, though.” She takes a cautious look at him, “Do… you?”

“When I feel like it.” He answers.

They fall into silence for a few seconds, but strangely, it doesn’t feel as awkward as it should be.

“What were you doing at the club?” Chanyeol prompts a conversation.

“My colleague’s birthday.” She explains. The more she looks at him, the more it puzzles her to see how sober the man is. Going to clubs generally, in her knowledge, is that, people go there, drink, dance and get drunk. But this man, this very man in front of her is none of that. So, what does a man do in the club apart from partying? Sleep? Hell, to her, she’s even in a worse state than him and— just how? And she falls into deeper stupefaction when she hears him ask.

“You’re wondering what I was doing there too, aren’t you?”

Abashedly, she nods her head.

“I covered for another DJ. Just for the night.”

“Oh.” She lets out slightly and lowers her head, smelling the aroma of the caffeine that seems to calm her slightly.

“How are you going to get home?” She hears him ask.

“I was going to call a friend to get me.” She answers, sipping a little from the cup. She’s grateful for his concern despite being practically strangers.

He raises an eyebrow. “At nearly three in the morning? Is this friend your boyfriend?”

“What?” She snorts. “No.” Now that she thinks about it, yeah, it’s not appropriate to call Baekhyun to come and get her even if Kina and himself told her to, not wanting to take her a taxi as they both consider the scenario dangerous. With her shoulder deflating, she sighs. “Taxi. I’m going to get home with taxi.”

“Finish your coffee and I’ll get you home.” He says, not suggesting but already having decided.

“Why would you do that?” She questions in skepticism, although really, at the moment, she’s in no place to. She’s barely with her sober self. Her mind is slowly going around but manages to remain somewhat composed. She just feels like she’s going to pass out soon though.

“Because I can?”

Groaning, Nabi finds herself with no choice, barely having energy to argue. Between calling Baekhyun, or a taxi and him giving her a lift home, she decides that perhaps that last option is more sensible. Even though it means fully trusting a stranger. She tries rationalise with herself that there’s possible no harm this guy can do. He looks like a good and safe man and hopefully for once, she hopes that people are the way they look.

“What’s your address?” He now asks, not wanting for the lady to sleep away and will be unable to answer where he should take her.

“Just... “ She pauses and swallows, stopping herself from vomiting. “Take me to my best-friend’s house. It’s closer.”

“Okay, where is that?” He asks again patiently.

Squeezing her eyes shut and opening them again, she grabs her phone and taps a few times on the screen. She then shows the screen to the male, where the address under her best-friend’s name is saved.

Seeing him nod, she locks her phone and looks out the window.

“I guess, you owe me two now?”

She turns to him and forms a soft V between her eyebrows. “Two?”

“I still don’t know your name. Don’t I deserve to know that by now?”

Nabi smiles widely and chuckles with , “I don’t even know if I’ll get home safe and in one piece.”

“If you do, will you let me know your name then?”

“Maybe?”

The next morning, Nabi wakes up to someone’s tap over her arms. Though, she instantly a harsh pinch inside her head upon getting up. She shuts her eyes tightly, groaning quietly at herself. She doesn’t open her eyes until she hears her best-friend’s greeting. “Good morn— afternoon, Miss Nabi.”

Nabi glances up and sees Kina standing at the edge of the bed, in front of her. Following behind is Baekhyun with a tray of food containing hangover soup, and some warm water. Seeing that, the lady weakly shoots a glare to her best-friend. “I didn’t drink that much.”

“Yes.” Kina affirms to that. “But you know you can’t take alcohol that well.”

Nabi sighs. “I just thought that you know, somehow my body will get used to it after a while.” Then, she gives her thanks to Baekhyun who places the tray over the bedside table before turning to the woman in front of her again who speaks up.

“I don’t think it quite works like that.” She puts the topic aside though as she says, “I think you would need to thank the Chanyeol guy for taking you home safely.” Freezing from drinking the warm cup of water in her hands, she looks at Kina with wide eyes. And with the latter knowing what exactly that gaze meant, she tells her, “Baekhyun and I waited for you. Neither of us can sleep only to be surprised that a man took you home.”

“He introduced himself to us properly and he also made sure that you were safe inside before he left.” Baekhyun adds.

“And, here.” Kina holds out her smartphone. “I got his number for you. So you can thank him properly. I think he deserves it.”

“What do you mean?” She asks, taking the phone, already searching the male’s contact.

“Well, apart from the fact that he had the decent heart to bring you home untouched, you kind of puked at him.”

Nabi’s jaw drops. “I did not.”

“Yes, you did.” She affirms. “It wasn’t crazy a lot but you still got some puke on his clothes.” Nabi’s reaction makes her chuckle. She pats her shoulder gently and advises, “Give him a call. Simple thanks and sorry won’t hurt.”

“I’m doing it.” She informs her.

“Okay, we’ll be outside. Finish that bowl and join us when your done?”

Nabi nods and with that, Baekhyun and Kina leaves the room. Her focus turns back to dialling Chanyeol’s number with hopes that she won’t be disturbing or interrupting anything. It’s twelve-eleven in the afternoon after all.

With three rings, the call is answered and hears an unsure greeting of “Hello?”.

“Chanyeol. It’s me. The uh… the drunk girl from last night.”

“Oh,” She hears a slight movement in the background. “I wouldn’t consider that drunk.” He says. “I realised that you really just can’t take liquor well. Kina? The name is Kina, isn’t it?”

“Yeah, it’s Kina. She’s my best-friend.”

He continues, “She told me that.”

Nabi smiles to herself and then presses her lips together as she gives her apology, “I’m sorry for what happened last night. I—” She stutters. “Uhm, I—”

“No, it’s okay.” He cuts her off, sensing her difficulty. “Don’t worry about it.”

“I guess, I really owe you two now, don’t I?”

“That, you do.” He says.

“What can I do to pay for what I owe?”

“I don’t know yet. But perhaps, maybe I can use the first one to finally know your name?”

Nabi’s eye twitches. He still doesn’t know? Kina hasn’t mentioned it?

But somehow, she feels like that this man has the uncanny ability to read minds as she hears him say, “Strangely didn’t get to ask your name last night. Stupid of me really. I should’ve asked your friend, huh?”

The lady shakes her head despite being completely aware that he can’t see her. Afte

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter