Serendipity Next Door

Serendipity Next Door

Prologue 

 

*clatter*

*thump thump*

"Mmm..."

"Ahhh," Lisa opened wide and yawned. "Why so noisy....?"

She raised her upper body and her head lean down forward, still half asleep. 

The noises came again and Lisa concentrate on where its coming from.

Oh.... Its coming from the next door empty apartment. So, someone is moving in? But who moves in at 7 am in the morning for God's sake!

Lisa grabbed her phone, her eyes widen in shock when she saw the timing on it.

"Its 9am, not 7!!!!!!.....No way!!!! I need to hurry and get changed fast!"

............

'I'll just put on my make up when I reached office later' Lisa thought to herself. 'Okay...handbag,phone,files....now I just need to...... Ahhhh!! My bike! The keys to my bike lock!'

...........

Finally after she managed to find the key, she waited for the elevator.

Lisa kept looking at her watch for the time. Even if she didnt hit any red lights, she'd barely make it in time.

"Stupid alarm clock!" she cursed quietly as reaches Level 1.

What should she do now? Take the back roads? But that last hill is really rough.

"Good Morning Lisa," Suga greets with a smile as he came out from the building office.

"Oh! Good morning Mr Suga!"

He suddenly stood near her.

Lisa's heartbeat was beating so fast when his hand reaches out..... Whoa his face is really close.

"Your hair is sticking right up here.."

Lisa almost wanted to find a hole and hid. "I...Is it really obvious?"

Suga nodded.. He brushes her hair lightly with his fingertips.

"Th...thanks."

"Oh..one more thing...."

My building manager touches my cheek with his cold hands.

Ohhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! Does she need to get a heart attack early morning?

"You have a mark right here from your pillow," he commented.

Lisa felt a second imaginary arrow pierced right thru her heart.

She smiled shyly at him.

"By the way, a new tenant is moving in next door to you today."

"Oh yeah, I heard people people moving the things around earlier. Well I gotta go now!"

"Be careful."

................

Growwwwwlllllllllll........

Lisa is starving. She checked her handbag for any food that might be inside..At this point, she will take anything, chocolate or candy or..... Oh...ohh.... She reaches out for a paperbag that says Ocean Bagel. Yesterday, her colleague had given it to her but since she was in a hurry to get home, she stuffed it inside her bag and forgot all about it.

She smelled the bagel. 

'Its still good right?'

She took a bite and was thankful that its still edible. She was about to take a second bite.....

"Hey Lisa, your mouth is wide open," Jenny teased.

"Good morning Jenny.."

"On your way to work Lisa?" Jenny's husband, Daniel asked.

"Yes I am..What about you two?"

Jenny wrapped her hands around Daniel's arm. "We just got back from our honeymoon. Right, Daniel?"

Daniel beamed in happiness. "Right Jen!"

"Ah..that's nice... Well, I have to go. See ya....!"

"Ah wait," Jenny cries out. "We bought back a souvenir for you Lisa! Here!"

"Thanks Jen!"Lisa said and stuffed the bag inside her handbag.

"Make sure you save it for special occasion?"

Did Lisa heard it right? What does Jenny means by special occasion... Whatever.... She needs to hurry up!!!

...........

Lisa slows down at a corner to throw the rubbish.

"Will you shut up? I will make it in time for the shoot!!!" A guy just shouted over the phone.

Oh wait, Lisa looked at the guy. He lives in the same apartment building as her. She tried to remember his name. Was it Jin? Then she saw something!

Ew, there is a lipstick mark on his collar.

"Dont worry, my assistant will get everything ready for me."

"What the hell are you looking at?" he snapped.

"Huh!"

"Are you Kookie's fan or something? You wont even get close to him with a face like that!"

Lisa shakes her head. "Uhm...no..."

He raised a hand to signal her to stop talking and angrily focus back on his phone.

"Huh?! Like I said, I'm going to the shoot right now!!!"

Jin continues talking on his mobile and disappears.

That was scary, she will be sure to avoid him the next time they meet!

Lisa looks at her watch again.."Arghhh...I am so late !!!!"

......

Lisa pedalled hard. She will be able to get there in 10 mins. Then she will have time for make up.

Yosh...!!!!

Suddenly she saw a guy with sunglasses standing right in middle of the lane..

Arghh..

She pedalled so hard that she can hardly make a quick stop! She yanked on the handlebars but the bicycle tilt sideways

Oh no!! She's gonna run into him!

*CRASH!!!*

"Ugh...Owwww....."

She quickly forced herself off his chest when she realised that she had fallen on top of him.

"I'm so sorry. Are you alright?" Lisa looked into his face. The sunglasses had came off. She could not stop staring into his handsome face.

"What about you?"

Lisa shake her head in answer. She then saw that they had fallen near a puddle from yesterday's rain and his clothes was all soaked and dirty. 

"Oh no! I'm so sorry. I got your shirt all dirty!"

Lisa felt so guilty. She got off him and checked herself out. Nothing much was on her, the fact that she fell on top of him.

Lisa reaches out for her handbag. "Here's some money for dry cleaning. I'm so sorry!"

The guy looked at the state he was in. "Its no big deal."

He didnt take the money that she offered.

"If this aint enough, please let me know."

Lisa shoved one ofher business cards at him and quickly pick up her bike.

"Excuse me, I am running late!"

Sigh....she'd better set another alarm tomorrow. There is no way she can oversleep again!

The man looked as she disappeared out of his sight.

"Hmmmm...Lisa Manoban,hm..."

...............

" Good morning......"

Lisa got inside the office with only 3 mins to spare. Just barely made it.

'I didnt have time to fix my make up though.....'

"Oh no......" Lisa heard Rose cries out sadly.

"Rose, are you ok?"

"She's not ok..Look at this article in the entertainment section!" J-Hope urged.

Lisa took the paper from him and read aloud "Kookie goes on hiatus. Comeback date uncertain.. Kookie? Isnt that Rose's favourite...."

"Oh yeah, thats the snobbish looking musician that she like!"

Rose gave J-Hope a death glare. "What did you say?"

J-Hope slowly retreat back to his desk.

"You listen to me guys...Kookie....Kookie is....... He is a REAL artist. Someone who can rock you to your very soul!"

"Yeah...yeah."

"I cant believe he's taking a break!!!! Uwaaahhhhhhhh!"

"Okay Rose, calm down!!" 

Lisa hugged Rose and patted her hair.

*beep* 

Oh its time for work.

Rose pulls out from Lisa's embrace. "Okay guys, Lets get back to work!"

Her cheerfulness shocked J-Hope.

 "That was a quick change of mood."

"We have a meeting in an hour guys," Rose announced. "And Lisa, you have 10 mins to fix your make up."

"Opps...sorry."

"And in half an hour's time. We're going to the president's office."

"What?"

"You my baby, will be changing department tomorrow."

"Huh!"

.................

"Now, I understand that this is very sudden. But I'd like you to handle the import goods from now on Lisa," the president said.

Lisa bowed. " Yes, of course!"

"Rose has been telling me how hard you've been working lately," he added.

I looked Rose appreciatively.

"Even though you're going to a different department. i will still be your supervisor. So you can come to me if you need help with anything."

"Alright, thank you."

Import goods huh......

....................

"Hmmmmm...."

"Why do you look so depressed?" J-Hope commented.

"No,its just...."

"I know, coz you are changing department and you will miss me right?" he cuts in. "But I'm really sorry. I already got my heart set on Rose."

Lisa looked at him, eyes rolling.

"Dont be disgusting J-Hope," Rose chided, appearing from nowhere.

J-Hope looked sad.

"I'm sure Lisa is feeling down because she'd rather stay in the imported food department, right?"

Lisa nodded in agreement.

"Thats right. You do love to eat right? You even have a food blog," J-Hope said.

"I understand where you're coming from but I'd really want you to focus on your new job."

"Rose...."

"Since its not your speciality, I think it will be a great experience for you. So do your best okay and I will be with you every step of the way."

Lisa hugged Rose and thanked her.

Rose is right. They're trusting her with this new reaponsibility so she need to give it my all. She decided to stop by the bookstore on the way home to starr researching.

She reaches out for her handbag when a bag falls out..

"What's that?"J-Hope asked curiously.

"Oh, a souvenir my neighbour brought back for me from their honeymoon. They give it to me this morning."

"Oh a souvenir, like macadamia nuts or chocolates?"

"The bag is so thin. Maybe its a beauty mask."Rose added.

"I am not sure. She told me to save it for a special occcasion."

Lisa took a look at the item inside the bag. What in the world??? She quickly shoved the bag inside her handbag.

"Are you ok Lisa?"

"Oh,its nothing." Lisa smiles weakly at Rose.

"It doesnt look like its nothing. Let me seeee...."

Rose was already reaching out for the bag.

"Ah....no.....dont!!!"

Rose ignores Lisa and turn open up the bag.

"Oh my....."

J-Hope snickered. "Well well....what do we have here....."

"I told you not tooooo..."

"Wow,its been a while since I last saw a lace thong."

"B..Been a while? Dont tell me you have one of these,Rose?"

"J-Hope, if you say one more word, I'm going to sue you for ual harrassment."

"Ughhh."

Rose turned back her attention to Lisa.

"A purple thong is serious business Lisa. You really will have to save it for a special occasion."

"W-what?!"

Rose smacked Lisa hard on the back.

"I-I'll try...."

.........

A special occasion.......

Lisa havent had any of that opportunity lately.

"How long has it been anyway? Probably....." 

No! No! No!

Lisa shook her evil thoughts away.

Right now, she needs to focus on work! I'm starting a new job tomorrow.

...............

"This....this....this one too."

Thats enough books on import goods. Now some marketing books......

"Here, it is! Suzy's photo collection!" Teen A squealed.

"OMG, Suzy is so adorable!" Teen B gushed.

Suzy....... Thats one of the girls from that popular group, Miss A.

Wow...Girls nowadays buy female celebrities swimsuit photobooks?

Lisa took a look at it..She guess that its quite ok as the pictures are really cute and not offensive at all. Her eyes travelles to the sticker on the cover of the book - A memorable collaboration by Suzy and Kim Seok Jin. 

Hmmm, so Kim Seok Jin took these pictures....

Lisa then proceeded to pay pay for the books.

........

Oh no, it looks like its gonna rain anytime soon.

Lisa wondered if she can make it home in time. She wouldnt want to get the books wet.

She pedalled full speed on her bicycle but unfortunately....

"Pop!"

Huh? What was that noise???

"You gotta be kidding. I've got a flat tyre!"

*drip....drip*

Hmmmmm?????

*FFFSSSSSHHHH*

"Whoa...Its pouring!!"

Lisa gathers all the new books in her arms. What should she do? She cant get the books wet or neither can she leave her bike there. She looked around, looking for a shelter.

"You okay?"

Lisa suddenly heard a voice and the rain stops falling around her.

"Got a flat tyre?"a cute guy asked, as he holds out his umbrella to her.

Lisa was mesmerized by his beauty and could only look at him.

"I heard a really loud noise."

"Oh yeah,I think so."

"Take this umbrella," he said before crouching down to inspect her front tire.

"Mmm..I think its shot. You gotta get it repaired."

Lisa nodded."Do you know if there's a repair shop near here?"

"Repair shop," the guy thought thoughfully. "About 20 mins by foot."

20 mins? If it wasnt raining, Lisa wouldnt mind but... Oh well, guess she have to push her bike home today."

'Here"

"Huh?"

"I said you can keep it here if you want."

The guy grabs hold of the handlebars.

"I work part time at that store over there. So if you can come bacn tomorrow..."

Store? Oh,its a pet shop...

Lisa smiled in relief. " Thank you so much! I'll definitely come and get it tomorrow! But this umbrella."

"You can bring it back tomorrow too."

"Thank you!"

.........

Lisa was so glad that shw was able to.leave her bile there. 

What a nice guy. She wonder if he's in college.

She got to the nearby subway station.

Her mobile vibrated.

She had received a new text message.

It reads - You've received a music gift from Rose.

So Lisa downloaded the file.She listened briefly. Oh dang, its Kookie's song. And its from a commercial too. Its a theme song for a mobile commercial.It feels like a travelling song...

Maybe Rose is trying to wish her good luck with her new job.

............

Lisa walked down the road to her building.

Its really dark outside. 

It couldnt be helped as she she had spent 2 whole hours in a discount shop. But....but everything looks so cheap there and there's so much to look at...

Hmmmmmm.......

Lisa kept hearing footsteps behind her. Or was it her imagination? 

She started to walk a little faster.

*tmp...tmp...tmp*

No way!!! Someone is following her. She decided to turn at the corner ahead.

*tmp...tmp...tmp*

*tmp...tmp...tmp*

STILL following her! W-why?!

This isnt good at all, she needs to run....

Please stop following!!!!!!

The automatic doors open and she rushed into the lobby.

*pants...pants*

"Oh Lisa! Welcome home"

Lisa was so relieved to see Suga.

"Oh Mr Suga! Some weirdo was just stalking me!"

"A weirdo?"

"Yeah,following me the whole time and....."

The automatic doors open again before Lisa could finish.

"Kyahhhhhh!!!!"

A guy with sunglasses came inside and was surprised at her loud yell.

Oh wait! Thats the guy from this morning.

"Oh Welcome back Jungkook."Suga said with his eyes smiling.

"Jungkook?"

"Perfect timing. Let me introduce you two. This is Jeon Jungkook. He had just moved in next door to you, Lisa."

"Ehhhhh...."

..........

Suga handed Lisa a cup of coffee from the vending machine.

"Thank you."

"What is this place?"Jungkook asked.

"The common room. Feel free to use it as much as you like,"Suga answered.

Jungkook nodded.

"Um, I'm really sorry about this morning. Did the staim came out of your shirt?"

"Yeah..."

So he is her new neighbour.

He doesnt talk much. And he's wearing sunglasses even though its night time.

"Oh, there you are Mr Suga...."

Lisa turned and saw the handsome guy again. No way,what is he doing here.

"What is it V?"

V looked at her for a while before interrupted by Suga.

"I said the gas isnt coming on in my apartment."

V suddenly turn his attention to the sunglasses guy. He looked surprise. "Kookie?"

Huh? What?

"You're Kookie arent you?"

Jungkook remains silent.

"No way! But why? What is Kookie doing here?".

"Calm down V."

"But...but I'm a huge fan!"

*SLAM*

"Can you all please shut up!!!! Do you have any idea what time izzit now?"

Lisa covered her eyes.

?!!! Why is he !

"Mmm, what are you doing here pretty boy? Shouldnt you be busy with your father's coattails?"

"None of your business."

"Excuse me? You've got a lot of balls talking to me like that....!"

"You're the one who need to watch your mouth,"V defended Jungkook.

"What'd you say little brat?"

"I'm not a brat!"

"Now now, everyone. Let's all calm down." Suga claps his hands together. Since we're all here we might as well introduce ourselves."

"Introduce ourselves?"Lisa said, trying her best not to oogle at the half man.

"Indeed,its not often we're all in the same place and time."

"Tired, dont have time for this..."

"Oh yes you do Jin."

Jin looks at Suga unhappily.

"Why dont we start with Jungkook since he just moved in today?"

"I'm Jeon Jungkook."

Silent......

"And what do you do Jungkook?"Suga asked.

"Unemployed."

"Thats right.I heard you quit being a musician,"Jin interrupted.

"He didnt quit.He is just taking a break!"

"No one askes you kiddo"

V glared at Jin.

Lisa looks at Jungkook. Is he really Kookie?

Maybe she should text Rose.

"You're next V."

"I'm Kim Taehyung but please call me V. I am a college student, studyinh to be Vet."

Ah so thats why he works at a pet shop.

"Okay, next."

"Kim Seokjin. I'm a photographer."

Hmmm...That sounded so familiar. Where have she heard of the name....

"Oh Suzy's photobook."

Lisa didnt mean to say that aloud.

Jin looked at her in surprise." Oh,you heard of me?"

"Yeah... I saw it in the bookstore today."

"Pretty good right?"

"Yes! The photos of Suzy was really gorgeous."

"Of coz they were. Coz I took them,"Jin said happily.

Whoa he looks like a kid when he smiles. Lisa thought he lookes scary but he looks totally different from before when he smiles. 

"And last but not least, Lisa."

Introducing herseld makes her more nervous. As though she is on a blind date session.

"Umm, I'm Lisa Manoban. I work at a mail order company. Nice to meet you all."

Silent.

Everyone looked totally uninterested. Pfft

Jungkook has been looking at the ground all the while.

V is still staring at Jungkook.

Jin is yawning.

Totally...blind date feeling.....

"So is that everyone or what?"Jin asked curiously.

"Nope, there is still Jimin from the 4th floor and one more person...."

"Oh yeah,I forgot about him,"

Him? Who?

"Arent you gonna introduce yourself Mr Suga?"

"Oh right. Me...I am Min Yonggi aka Suga. The building manager here at Maison du Mont.During the day, you can find me in my office and at night I'm at 5th floor. Please do not hesitate to come and see me if you need anything."

"Ok," everyone said in unison.

"How long are you gonna stand there half anyway?"

Shuddup.A man likee doesnt need clothes kid. How about I take off my pants too?"

"Excuse me?"

Jin looked at Lisa with a grin. "You interested?"

"No! Absolutely not!"

"Please watch your manners Jin," Suga said with his eye smile.

"Alright...alright. I'll pretend to be a good boy just like.. Hey, where did Jungkook go?"

V too just realised his idol is missing.

"He already went back to his apartment."

"Aww  man.....but I have so many things I wanna talk to him about!"

V looked real.upset.

"You're his fan kiddo?"

"None of your business."

"None of my business eh...Oh come on, dont tell me you're one of those sour patch boys thats are so popular lately," Jin goaded. "Ya know, sour on the outside and sweet on the inside."

"I am not! I dont even know what that means!"

Lisa sipped her coffee and watched them argue from the corner of her eyes.

She decided to go back to her apartment.

.........

Phewww.....what a day

Lisa laid on the bed. Thinking back, she had overslept,got transferres to a new department,flat tire....."

She took the purple thong out from her bag.

"Now, what shall I do with this?"

She is way too embarrasses to be wearing one but as long as nobody sees it, its okay right?

*Ding dong*

"Coming......!!"

Who could it be at this hour?

Lisa got to the door and look thru the peephole.

Outside she saw......... Jeon Jungkook