Falling Apart

The "Straight" Member
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I went back to the kitchen to finish preparing food for the members. I wasn't sure where Tzuyu was, but I didn't want to think about it. I pushed our conversation to the back of my mind, and silently cooked while the members goofed around. 

"Hey, Jihyo..." I recognized Sana's voice. I spun around and engulfed the girl in a tight hug. I felt horrible about how I treated her...I was blinded by jealousy, and failed to realize that Tzuyu wouldn't fall for her, me, or anyone in the group. We were like her mothers and older sisters. It would be weird for her. "Are you okay?" She yelped in surprise. 

"I'm okay. I just...I wanted to apologize for how I've been treating you." I hugged her even tighter. She hugged me back with the same intensity. 

"No worries." She let me go, and I stepped back. "You finally understand that Tzuyu and I are like mom and daughter, right?" I nodded. 

"She said it'd be weird because you're a member of the group, and...we're like her mothers." I mumbled, and went back to cooking. 

"Aww, come on, what's wrong? Isn't that a ton of weight lifted off your shoulders?" She placed her chin on my shoulder and watched as I cooked. "Ooh, you're gonna be a good wife. It smells delicious." 

"Thanks." I chuckled. I could only hope that I'd be a good partner for Tzuyu. "It should be, but it...it actually kinda adds some weight, you know?" 

"What do you mean? Do you...maybe..." I felt her start to vibrate with happiness.

"No." It came out colder than I wanted it to, but I just wanted to pretend that I didn't feel this way. Then I could forget my feelings and be Tzuyu's close friend. That's all I'd ever be. 

"O...kay." She took her chin off of me. "Should I grab the sous-chef so you can get some rest?"

"No, it's fine. I don't want to bother Mina and Momo. Let them be happy together." I was envious of the two now. How could they be so lucky? They were always getting in trouble for being too affectionate, but I envy them. I wish Tzuyu and I could get into trouble together for being too touchy during fansigns, being too loud at night when the others are trying to sleep, and being a distraction during dance practices. 

"Jihyo..." Sana sighed, apparently picking up on my sour mood. "Is everything okay?" She back-hugged me and put her chin back on my shoulder. "You may be our fearless leader, but don't forget that we're always ready to back you up." 

"I just..." I felt tears struggle to escape. I was letting this whole thing with Tzuyu get in the way of my leading responsibilities. Maybe it was for the best that we would never be together. I pulled out of Sana's embrace before any tears could hit the food. "Can you turn off the fire and let the girls know that food is ready? The rice should be done by now, as well. It's in the rice cooker." I choked on the last few words, and ran into my room. I heard Sana call my name, but I didn't care. I needed to be alone and forget about Tzuyu. I couldn't, though, and I knew I was screwed. I just had to try, at least.

 

It had been a few weeks since then. Things were awkward around Tzuyu and I, but everyone else was getting along fine. Sana and I had made amends, and Nayeon would sit up with me on sleepless nights when I couldn't help but think about what could have been between Tzuyu and I. It was becoming evident to the others that Tzuyu and I were awkward around each other as well, since Sana would often ask if I was upset with Tzuyu, and I'd reply 'no', and avoid any further conversation about the maknae. Only Nayeon knew how I truly felt about her. Tzuyu almost seemed scared of me, and never approached me. If she had something to ask me, she always sent Sana, Chaeyoung, or Dahyun to ask me instead. 

We had dance practice again, to prepare for an upcoming comeback. As usual, Momo took the lead and Mina would help out. They were less touchy than usual. In fact, the entire group seemed a little more down than usual, and it had been getting worse and worse with each day that there was tension between Tzuyu and I. However, if Momo and Mina weren't being touchy with each other, something was horribly wrong. As soon as we were given our first break, I hurried over to Mina.

"What's going on between you and Momo?" I asked, internally panicking over the gayest couple. 

"We're dating...? We have been for a long time. You always tell us to keep it down at night. Did you get amnesia?" She chuckled. 

"I know, I know. But...you've been...less touchy. It's scary." 

"Hmm...I guess you're right. I have been a little down l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter