Coincidence

The Best Thing

1. Coincidence

ExcerptThey weren't the sisters of two of K-Pop's biggest "bullies" for nothing.

 

A chilling breeze swept through the short woman's shoulder length hair as she entered the coffee shop. She shook her head, ruffling the snow from her hair. The woman was Cho Ara, the older sister of Super Junior's evil maknae, Cho Kyuhyun.

In order to escape the ice cold tundra that was outside, Ara entered the coffee shop she frequented daily. Shaking the rest of the cold off, she walked over to the counter to order her usual cup of coffee. 

Once her order was placed, Ara stood beside the counter and waited. The entrance to the coffee shop swung open and woman with long, cascading, dark-brown hair stood there. "She has the face similar to an idols'," Ara thought as the woman's high heeled boots clacked against the floor's tiled surface.

Ara felt herself stare, wondering if this woman really was an idol just as the woman approached the counter. Before Ara turned away, she caught a glimpse of the woman's purse. Her eyes widened and she couldn't help but let a squeal of admiration escape her lips. "Omo your bag is so cute! Where did you get it?"

The woman jumped in surprise and looked at Ara. She smiled, glancing down at her purse. "Oh this? I'm not too sure since my little sister bought it for me."

"Aish...I need to meet your sister. She has excellent taste," Ara smiled and shook her head. "Jweshonghaminda, I didn't mean to be so rude. I'm Cho Ara-imnida." Ara bowed politely.

"Arasseo," the woman said extending a hand for Ara to shake. "Choi Soojin-imnida."

~~

"If you don't hurry up, I'm not taking you with me, eonni!" Choi Sooyoung yelled from the living room in a small apartment. Normally, the cheerful shikshin of Girls' Generation would be getting ready for SM Entertainment's anniversary party at SNSD's dorm with the rest of the girls. Instead, she was at her older sister’s apartment, waiting for her to get ready. Choi Soojin was going to be Sooyoung’s “date” to the event.

"Aish, calm down, Sooyoungie," Soojin waved, entering the living room. She was putting her earrings on while Sooyoung impatiently tapped her foot. "Why are you in a rush anyway?"

Sooyoung sighed, grabbing Soojin's arm. "I don't want to be late! Manager-oppa told me I had to be on time or else!" she whined, pulling the older woman to the door. 

“Okay, okay! I’ll hurry up!” Soojin laughed, yanking her arm away. “Just let me put my shoes on first!”

“Eonni~” Sooyoung groaned.

~~

SM Entertainment’s anniversary party was already in full swung by the time the Choi sisters arrived. Sooyoung was irritated the whole drive there while Soojin tried to calm her dongsaeng down as they entered the lavishly decorated building.

“Manager-oppa’s going to yell at me,” Sooyoung whined for the ‘nth time that night.

Soojin rolled her eyes, pushing the girl into the large hall where the party was taking place. Many important people within the company were here, along with many of SM Entertainment’s biggest stars.

As Sooyoung and Soojin approached SNSD’s table, they were instantly greeted with the angry stare of Sooyoung’s manager. Sooyoung looked sheepish and bowed her head. “Mianhe, manager-oppa…” she muttered.

“Aigoo, what did I tell you? I allowed you to bring your sister only if you managed to get here on time,” he scolded as Sooyoung lowered her head. “Aish! You’re always causing problems for me…” He shook his head and walked away from the table.

Taeyeon stood up and placed a hand on the tall girl’s shoulder. “Sooyoungie, don’t listen to him. He’s just moody right now, yae?” Sooyoung nodded at smiled at the rest of the girls.

“I’m okay. I know manager-oppa didn’t mean it.” She pushed Soojin to sit down. She was instantly showered with compliments from the girls.

“Soojin-eonni you look so beautiful,” Yoona cooed, grabbing Soojin’s arm as she laughed.

“It’s not fair!” pouted Sunny. “You’re not even an idol and you’re so pretty.”

Soojin blushed. “Stop it, you guys. You’re making me blush!”

The girls laughed as Sooyoung and Soojin chatted happily.

~~

Soojin stood up and grabbed her purse. “I’ll just be going to the bathroom for a bit.” She waved at the girls and walked out of the party hall. Outside, a small hallway led into the bathrooms for the males and females. Soojin was about to open the door when it swung open.

She stepped back as the woman in front of her bowed her head. “Jweshonghaminda! I didn’t realize someone was going in!”

Soojin recognized the woman’s voice. “Ara-sshi?” she questioned, just to make sure.

The woman lifted her head and shook it in surprise. “Soojin-sshi? What are you doing here?”

“My little sister…” Soojin pointed to the party hall. “Better question is, why are you are here?”

Ara opened to respond when a voice from behind Soojin sounded. “Noona? Are you alright? It’s been a long time already…” Cho Kyuhyun peered uncertainty from his spot at the corner. He straightened up once he saw Soojin. “Jweshonghaminda, I didn’t know you were speaking with someone…”

Ara shook her head, “Arasseo, arasseo, Kyu-ah. I’d like you to meet an acquaintance of mine I met the other day, Choi Soojin. Soojin this is my dongsaeng, Kyuhyun.” Soojin bowed and smiled.

“I’m aware of who Kyuhyun-sshi is, Ara-sshi. I’m a big fan,” Soojin compliments as Ara grins prideful at her little brother’s fame and talent.

Kyuhyun smiled in response. “Kamsamnida, it means a lot.”

Soojin laughed. “I guess this is why you’re here! What a small world!”

Ara noded. “But what about you? You said something about your little sister—”

“Eonni, you’re taking foreve—” Sooyoung paused once she spotted Soojin standing in front of Kyuhyun and a small woman she didn’t know. Her eyes landed on Kyuhyun who smiled at her. Sooyoung felt herself unconsciously blush. “K-Kyuhyun-sshi?”

Soojin glanced at Ara who seemed to be thinking the same thing.

“Is this your eonni, Sooyoung-ah?” Kyuhyun asked, nodding at Soojin. Sooyoung nodded, shyly. Kyuhyun’s smile widened. “Omo, what a coincidence! Are sisters know each other!”

“N-Ne…” Sooyoung stuttered, avoiding looking at Kyuhyun.

“What a coincidence indeed!” Ara exclaimed, grabbing Soojin’s arm, pulling the woman next to her. Ara had a plan, and Soojin seemed to pick up on it. “Sooyoung-sshi you look incredibly beautiful! Don’t you think so, Kyu-ah?”

“Noona!” Kyuhyun hissed alarmed, a blush lightly staining his face. He glanced at Sooyoung embarrassedly as her face lit on fire. She stared at Kyuhyun expectantly, gauging his response. He took a deep breath and nodded, looking anywhere but Sooyoung. “N-Ne. She looks very pretty.”

Ara laughed. “Tell it to her, not us!” Soojin joined in the laughter when she noticed her sister’s surprised expression.

Both idols blushed harder when they glanced at each other. Kyuhyun awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck while Sooyoung fiddled with her necklace. Ara nudged Soojin to say something.

“Sooyoung-ah, what about Kyuhyun-sshi?” Soojin asked. Sooyoung looked at her eonni with confusion. Kyuhyun seemed curious to where Soojin was going with this. “Isn’t he handsome?” Sooyoung’s eyes widened.

“E-Eonni?” Sooyoung stuttered glancing at Kyuhyun. “W-Why are you…?”

Ara giggled. “Aigoo, you two are so cute together.”

“W-Waeyo?” both Kyuhyun and Sooyoung asked, their faces growing hotter by the second.

Ara ignored them and turned to Soojin. “Oooh, I can’t wait to plan their wedding!” she squealed, grabbing her hand. “We’d be sister-in-laws! How great would that be?”

Soojin giggled. “Omo, I know!”

“It’s obvious my little Kyu is in love with Sooyoung-sshi,” Ara said, ignoring the look of pure horror on Kyuhyun’s face. He was so embarrassed; he didn’t think he could look at Sooyoung without feeling awkward. “I wouldn’t blame him since she’s such a catch.”

Soojin shook her head. “Ani, my Sooyoungie’s more obvious. She’s  been blushing and stuttering the whole time!” Sooyoung wanted to beat her sister to a pulp for saying such things. “Right?” she abruptly turned to Sooyoung who stared at her, mouth agape like a fish.

“I-I..”

“Kyuhyun-ah, I think you should tell Sooyoung-sshi that you like her. I’m pretty sure you have since your early days with Super Junior,” Ara winked. “I remember that one phone call to a radio show she was a part of…”

Kyuhyun blushed, looking at Sooyoung. “I didn’t think anyone would remember that…” She tilted her head in confusion.

“What are they talking about?” Sooyoung asked, momentarily forgetting she was embarrassed.

“I-It’s nothing…” He looked away, trying to find something to ease his embarrassment.

Soojin snapped her fingers in realization. “Oh yeah! When he said he loved you! I remember that! That was so cute! So did you really mean it?”

“Wae?” she looked at Kyuhyun shocked. He tried busying himself by playing with his cufflinks. “I-Is it true, Kyuhyun-sshi? Did you mean it?”

Kyuhyun paused. The three girls waited in anticipation for his response. He sighed and nodded his head slightly. “Ne…” he gulped, and with a surge of confidence, lifted his head and looked Sooyoung in the eye. “I meant it. I…I love you even after all these years.”

Soojin and Ara squealed, hugging each other as Sooyoung’s eyes widened. She didn’t say anything, but just stared at him. Kyuhyun bit his lip and rubbed the back of his neck nervously. “S-So? What’s your response?”

“Say I love you too!” Soojin and Ara loudly whispered.

Sooyoung covered her hands with and nodded. “Ne. I-I love you too.” Kyuhyun sighed with relief and not minding the pair of noisy sisters, engulfed Sooyoung in a hug. Ara and Soojing ‘Aw’ed out loud causing Sooyoung to blush harder. “K-Kyuhyun-ah…our sisters…”

Kyuhyun shook his head in her hair, refusing to let go. “It doesn’t matter,” he mumbled. "I finally get to do this and it won’t even take an earthquake to make me move.” Sooyoung giggled at his cheesy words and hugged him back.

Cho Ara and Choi Soojin smiled at the scene in front of them. Their little spur-of-the-moment matchmaking plan was a success. Bulling the two to admit their feelings worked quite well.

They weren't the sisters of two of K-Pop's biggest "bullies" for nothing.