Three

Bad Luck
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I’m so going to die here,” Joohyun rolled her eyes, staring at her phone screen where another pretty face was shown. “Look at my face, Wendy!”

“Yeah, you have the panda eyes,” the other girl she was having a video call with commented.

“I barely sleep here,” Joohyun changed her position, still laying her head on the pillow. “It’s about work and the crazy neighbor I talked about yesterday.”

“Cheer up, Irene-ah! You can go through this. Oh, wait, you’re now Joohyun!”

“Shut up, Seungwan.”

The girl’s name was Son Wendy, also Son Seungwan, Joohyun’s bestfriend who was also half-Korean, half-American. She was probably the only person Joohyun trusted most other than her parents. They both went to the same high school, went to the same college, and spoke both English and Korean fluently.

“Hey, what about Lu Han? Is he still trying to smash you?”

“Can you not use the word ‘smash’?” Joohyun let out a short chuckle with no humour, “but yeah, he’s still annoying. The last time he did to me was caressing my shoulders like, dude, what the f–? He should’ve known I hate that.”

“I think he’s trying to embarrass you in public, you gotta be careful, gurl,” Seungwan commented.

 “I’ve also been thinking about that. I wish I could smack him, honestly,” Joohyun placed her phone on the laptop screen so she could do her work at the same time. Today was Sunday but Joohyun still had to deal with her work.

“Speaking of boys, have you met any cute guys? Or maybe some idols who dance and sing?”

“Dude, I can barely even live normally here,” Joohyun let out another chuckle with no humour, shaking her head.

“You gotta meet at least one cute boy. Come on, get your game on again, Rene. Don’t get yourself too busy with work. It’s been like forever since last you got together with a–”

“Son Seungwan, I came here to finish my stupid assignment,” Joohyun interrupted. “You should’ve come with me if you wanted to meet a cute boy or whatsoever.”

“Welp, no getting mad, Bae Joohyun. You’ll get more wrinkles,” Seungwan quickly replied.

Joohyun stuck her tongue out in a childish manner.

“Anyway, it’s midnight here, I gotta sleep,” Seungwan said after a silence. “Ya, don’t forget about the bag I told you, okay?”

“Aye, Sergeant Son, good night,” Joohyun ended the video call before throwing herself on the bed once again, staring at the ceiling.

Come on, get your game on again, Rene. Don’t get yourself too busy with work.

Seungwan’s words were replayed in her mind repeatedly. She started thinking about it, if we’re talking about Joohyun’s love story, we have to turn back time to the teen Joohyun which is in 5-7 years ago. Joohyun herself didn’t even remember when the last time she really fell in love with a boy.

Back in college, she once was set in a blind date by Seungwan with the younger’s cousin, Kris Wu. The only reason was that Joohyun was way too focus with her study and college clubs that she didn’t even know any guys very well. It’s not that she was the kind of girls who always locked herself in a room, no, in fact, Joohyun and Seungwan used to get to a party, get a little drunk that they would regret the next day, go home in the morning. They both were pretty much popular, known as Asian Angels due to their natural beauty.

It was just that Joohyun wasn’t really interested in having a relationship. There was at least ten times she rejected guys who came to her. She only gave a try to this Kris Wu guy since she didn’t want to hurt Seungwan’s feeling who had set everything up. They were together for nearly four months before Kris had to move to Canada for his hockey team.

That was it, Kris Wu was probably the only guy Joohyun knew well during her 3 years and a half in college. She’d like to know how the guy was doing now since they both never really had any fights, they even ended their relationship nicely.

Back in high school, Lu Han was taking over everything, literally. That guy was never even hers but he acted like he was. He even claimed her as his girlfriend and announced it publicly. At first Joohyun didn’t take it way too seriously since no trouble ever made. But then happened when Lu Han introduced her as his girlfriend when both families were having dinner. She still could recall how her parents were furious at her for not telling them about it. The prom night thing was probably the last strike for the guy to stop acting like an .

“Ah,” Joohyun groaned and rolled around as the thought of meeting this guy again hit her mind. “Maybe I really should get a new boyfriend to protect me from him,” she said bluntly.

Right after she closed , she heard her doorbell rang.

“Food’s coming!” she exclaimed, eyes sparkled in joy as she got up then rushing to the front door. She opened it after checking the monitor, being greeted by a guy bringing a plastic bag.

After paying and saying thank you, she quickly brought her food to the kicthen island.

“Don’t say you’re in Korea if you haven’t eaten the local food here,” Joohyun carefully took out some pots with varies meals each, placing them on the table. “Galbijjim! My favorite!”

The next thing Joohyun did was eating the Korean food she ordered, saving some in the fridge just in case she got hungry at some random time. She thought that she deserved to treat herself during weekends after all the things happened during weekdays. By eating her problems would slowly fade away.

Joohyun washed off her night masker before gently massaging her face using towel. She stared at her own reflection before displaying a smile. She felt much better this day after all the treatment she did to herself. With a satisfying feeling, she jumped on the bed before rolling on it. She had to let go of her Sunday only to get an earlier sleep at night. It was worth it, after all.

Before drifting to sleep, she could hear her neighbour started having their noisy perfomance across the wall. Now a victory smile appeared on her face.

“You can’t fool me, The Next Beetles,” she held herself not to laugh at the lame name again. “I’m definitely smarter than you guys.” It seemed like Joohyun already knew the band’s sleeping schedule. That was why she easily did the work in the morning.

“Tomorrow is gonna be a good day,” she found herself whispering before flying to her dreamland.

“Good morning, Bae Joohyun-ssi.”

“Good morning,” Joohyun took a small bow to the cleaning lady in the corridor, flashing a warm smile to the latter.

“You look beautiful,” the lady lifted her face a little. “Going to work?”

“Yes, I’m not gonna come late today,” she added, recalling how she almost bumped this lady when rushing to the office a few days ago.

The lady nodded before holding up her fist i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter