One

What is Happiness?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

--Sandy's House--

 

Sandy is in a hurry today, she woke up early but like the master procrastinator that she is, didn't get ready until 30 minutes before her shift starts. She was lazing around because her workplace is not that far from their apartment building.

 

" ! Durami, i'm going, there's some milk and bread left on the table. Please tell mom and Sanghyun I already left." She said after kissing her younger sister on the cheek and speeding out the door and down the stairs.

 

"Be careful and don't skip lunch!" Durami shouted after her, not really sure if her older sister heard her.

 

"Thanks!" She yelled back.

 

 

She uncoiled the chain from her bicycle and zoomed with her bike to the mini mart which is just a few blocks away where she's working at as a part time employee.

 

"I'm here!!I'm here! Not absent!" She called out while catching her breath, as soon as she got inside the mart to inform her co workers in case they're wondering because it's already 8:01 am and her shift starts at 8:00.

 

"Nice improvement! Yesterday you arrived at 8:06am. Keep it up!" Donghae cheered on and high fived her. He's her workmate and a regular employee.

 

"Tomorrow, I will be on time, you can bet on it." She declared confidently.

 

"Oooh, getting brave now are we. Ok, I'll take you up on that bet. 10 bucks?" Donghae challenged her.

 

"You're on!" She happily accepted. She could use the extra cash and being on time is not that hard especially if there's a reward. She's motivated like that.

 

She only works for 4 hours here and after lunch she has another job at a tutoring center where she takes tutoring classes 1 hour per student.

 

**After a few hours**

It's a lazy day at the mart, they're located in the least popular part of the city hence they don't really get a lot of customers. It only gets busy if there's festivities or events in the area and there's neither right now. After a few hours, it's almost lunch time and Sandy feels her stomach complain.

 

As if he heard her stomach, Donghae went up to her and nudged her, "Hey, where are you going to eat lunch?".

 

"Out back of course, it's not like I have extra money to eat somewhere else." She said. Life is hard for her and her family, it but she doesn't complain much. Complaining only upsets her and takes up energy, energy that she could put in good use looking for money instead of crying her eyes out.

 

"Perfect, mom prepared a lot of kimbap earlier, want some?" He offered.

 

Sandy is touched by the offer. Eversince she started working here, Donghae has done nothing but help her and be kind to her. Though she's older than him, she feels like he treats her as a younger sister. "Of course!! Mama Lee makes the best kimbap 2nd to my mom!" They've become really close that she affectionately calls his mom Mama Lee now.

 

Donghae just smiled but there are actually butterflies flying around his stomach. He can't wait to have that alone time with her.

 

It's been 3 months since Sandy started working in the mart and when he first saw her, he was literally shocked. He has seen a lot of beautiful women in his lifetime but nothing prepared him when he saw her face. Even celebrities pale in comparison to her. He then did his best to convince the store manager to accept her and she didn't disappoint. Some customers go to their store regularly after she started working the counter and she's been hardworking and very professional.

 

**LUNCH TIME**

 

"Didn't even notice the time til my stomach started grumbling." Sandy said after looking at the wall clock.

 

"Yeah, I can hear it all the way from the back where I was arranging the drinks." Donghae .

 

"Whatever." She just replied. She opened her lunchbox and took out a sandwich and her tumbler with milk. They went out the back door and sat at the makeshift chairs and table that employees use during breaktime.

 

"You call that lunch??Eeew! Here, eat!" Then gave her 2 rolls of kimbap and shared a container of kimchi and some meat.

 

"Wow! You weren't kidding when you said Mama Lee prepared a lot." Her eyes got big and started shoving the kimbap to .

 

Donghae chuckled upon seeing her. Seems like he doesn't even need to eat, seeing her happy and eating is strangely making him full as well.

 

"Ya, what are you doing? Eat up! Your mom worked hard to prepare these, don't be ungrateful!"She scolded him.

 

"I know, I'm just not that hungry." Despite saying that, he started eating as well."You still go to that tutoring center?" He asked.

 

"Of course! You know I need the money." She's thinking that it would be a lot better if she gets absorbed as a regular employee in the mart because it means she doesn't have to look for another job and the salary is higher compared to being a part time worker. However, she has no idea if that is even going to happen. Th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter