Episode Three

Crystalline - Magical Girl Academy

Image result for star icon

“Are you closed? Aw man, I really wanted a moment to look at the pretty bracelets!” A girl, probably no older than eighteen, sighs in disappointment, “would it be too much to ask if I could pop in and see this one bracelet? It had these red and yellow gems that's part of your Crystalline line and-”

“Absolutely not. Come back in the morning.”

Inha sighs at his response. Honestly, had class not run so late and she had that one errand to take care of, she totally could have made it to the store during shop hours. Now what was she going to get Ahri for her going away present? What if the bracelet wasn't there in the morning? When would she be back in this part of town again? Oh come on!

“Please?”

“Listen,” the old man huffs irritably, adjusting his glasses and looking her up and down. She couldn't stop the sigh that escapes her lips. She already knows without even asking he's appraising her 'worth' so to speak. Sure, she was just in her t-shirt and jeans, and yes her brown boots are scuffed; but she was comfortable! She is allowed to be comfortable after sitting in a meeting with both Eungyeong and Seungha nearly tearing each other's head's off. Jinhee was no help, and Guiling is still in the hospital. What was she supposed to do? Thankfully, she was able to put an end to the fight, but without Ahri there to make them 'make-up', it did nothing to liven the mood. She's really going to miss Ahri when she leaves….though part of her envies that fact...

“Fine,” Inha just spins to leave. No sense in getting mad about this. She'd just need to spend her well earned money elsewhere.

But...something didn't feel right. Glancing up at shop window, Inha can already see the swirling of shade and light behind him in the glass reflection.

“Damn. C'mon, just one night.”

“Excuse me, little lady,” the jeweler makes a motion to shoo her away, “maybe you can have you're parents or boyfriend buy you something nice from here later. When we're actually open.”

Inha has a mind to just go home and let this guy get eaten. What's the harm in one less grouchy, judgmental, probably misogynistic male in the world? She can already feel the disapproving stare from Ahri.

“Um, mister,” she tries sweetly, “you might want to back away from that window,” she's already texting Sungjae her whereabouts. He is going to be displeased with her doing this without him or calling the others; but really what choice does she have?

“Young lady-”

“No, but seriously. Get the hell away from the window.”

“Ar...Are you trying to strongarm me?!” He gasps rather dramatically. That swirl behind him is really spinning up a storm now. This is going to be a big one.

“My man, seriously. Back away from the window!” Inha flexes her hand, feeling the gold and citrine ring nearly burning with the proximity of the Alterverse spawn.

“Get away from-” he doesn't get to finish since the monster's tentacle-like arms shoot out from the portal that has now fully formed behind him. They wrap around his mouth and neck, yanked him backwards. The beast that emerges is pretty much entirely a maw. Just a giant maw of long sharp teeth. On little legs. Inha would have burst out laughing, but she probably should do something about the guy currently pissing himself right now. Those tentacles are dragging the to it's maw probably to eat. Seriously, she could just, not. She can feel the collective disapproving stare from Ahri and Guiling. Damned moral high road.

“Halt!” Inha shouts, extending her hand out to point at the creature. It actually seems to acknowledge her, pausing in its attempt to eat the , “Alterverse creature. Release the , return to whence you came; or face the wrath of righteous light!” She's sure somewhere, Seungha is cringing somewhere while Eungyeoung is a giving her a mental high five.

The creature just snarls at her.

“Alright then. Crystalline Citrine!” Her ring on her extended hand flares in a bright, blinding golden light, “Awake!” And a moment later her world fade to black before the light on the ring flows down from her hand across the rest of her body.

Everywhere the light touches, her clothing seems to melt into the glow. What's left behind is her Citrine dress. A short white, sleeveless number that seems to shimmer in the light with an iridescence. Atop her chest a golden place phases into existence, having the appearance of two wings spreading from a centralized citrine gem wrapping her torso. Golden matching armaments spiral down her forearms and shoulders, black fingerless gloves forming to her elbows beneath. Her legs are covered by nearly thigh high black boots, similar gold armor encasing them. The final flurry of light circles her head and sparks, leaving behind a circlet of simple gold around her forehead, but with ornate wing-like protrusions curving around her head and behind her ears. Her hair fades from it's normal short brown into shoulder length blonde tresses. Her world then comes back into focus, no more than a moment having passed for the two spectators.

“Prepare yourself!” She calls out and from the ring one final time comes an elegant golden sword about the length of her arm, the blade clear like the citrine gem she represents.

The man's flabbergasted expression, even with half his face wrapped in tentacles, makes all of this so worth it.

INHA!” She winces when the familiar voice of Sungjae shouts at her from the earpiece she'd forgotten she was wearing from practice earlier that day, “WHAT THE HELL?!”

“Not now! Scan the scumbag for injuries and I'll get started on the beast!” She rushes forward towards the pair, listening to her support providing her quick details on the state of the jeweler. Unhurt, though the creature had drained some of his life force. That's unfortunate. Before the creature even has a moment to respond, her speed faster than it's reaction time, Inha slices her sword clean through the tentacle holding the man three times. Howling in what she assumes is pain, the creature staggers back. It's tentacle falls apart into neatly sliced pieces, the man falling to the ground along with the still wriggling chunks of Alterverse flesh.

“Inha,” Sungjae's voice filtered into her head again, “Scans show the portal growing steadily bigger behind it. Close the portal first, then eliminate the monster. My sensors also show a crowd of people approaching. Make it fast to eliminate any casualties since I don't think this thing will be easy.”

“This thing? It's a cat! I already-ACK!” Inha ducked down swiftly when a larger tentacle emerged from the creature's back and swiped at her, the end of it becoming spiked like a mace.

What was that? A cat? Guess you don't need my help then. I'm going to go back to my videogame-”

“Shut up,” she grumbles, rolling back to her feet, “How soon before the crowd reaches me?” She asks between dodging around three more tentacles that emerge, also spiked. Who needs big legs when you have spiky tentacles she guesses.

Five minutes. Oh, and the portal key is right behind it.”

“Greeeeat.”

You could, you know, go all badass and just eliminate both at once. Just a suggestion. By the way, Eungyeong and Jinhee are on their way to help if you can't do this without their help. Gotta protect baby Inha!” She does not appreciate the tone he uses. At. All.

“I'm kicking your after this Sungjae, you little ,” she grumbles again, “I'll show you needing protecting,” finally tiring of the dodging game, and maybe annoyed at her support's stupid commentary, Inha rolled to the side and up onto her feet in one swift movement. Avoiding one more swipe, she backflipped until she was some distance from the monster again.

Those tentacles, and you know I'm refraining from a bad joke right now, definitely give it the advantage of reach. But powerwise, it hasn't even made a dent in absorbing any of your energy. Definitely a physical type. Bet you can't take it out before Sapphire and Tourmaline make it there,” he taunts.

“Bet you all you can eat bbq if I can!” Inha inhaled, pulling her sword back and dropping down to a lower stance. The creature roared, a loud piercing sound that made the windows of the buildings shake. It sprouted more tentacles and used them to drag it's maw of a body towards her rapidly. Inha held her breath, counting the distance in meters as it drew closer.

Um...Inha?”

Closer.

Inha, I hope you're planning something.”

Little closer.

Seriously, Inha!”

More distance.

Before Sungjae could have a panic attack, Inha jumped up just as a tentacle smashed into the ground where she once stood. She stabbed her blade down as she landed atop it. The weapon pierced the tentacle down into the ground, restricting its movements easily. Smirking at the howl it gave, she sprinted up it like a ramp towards the maw, balancing easily despite the shaking and thrashing. It lashed at her with its other tentacles, but Inha easily leapt over them again and again, landing each time gracefully on the pinned limb.

Inha takes one last leap, drawing her sword back as the citrine crystal in it's pommel begins to shine brightly, filling the space with an ever growing brilliance.

Your power should spike in five seconds!”

Inha inhales, feeling as if the world around her is slowing down. Below she spies the monster, turning upwards towards her with it's grotesquely large maw. Behind it, the portal begins to glow with a perceptible luminescence. The sound of glass tinkling, like crystals shimmering, alert her that her power is spiked.

“Brilliant-!” Her sword shatters into fragments leaving just the crystal in her hand. Those fragments spread around the monster, shining like fragments of a mirror. From the crystal in her hand, a beam of light shoots out. It hits one fragment, then another, and another as if reflecting back and forth from the pieces like light on a mirror. Those beams shoot directly through the monster, time suddenly returning to normal and it howling and snarling at the damage inflicted upon it. The beams all at once converge back into her hand, forming around the crystal into a large, curved blade of light.

“-ARC!” Inha shouts at the same time she cuts forward with the arc of light in her hand. Leaving behind a trail of light as it went through the air, the blade cleaved cleanly through the monster with the first strike.

The monster howled one last time before beginning to turn to ash starting from where her attack had sliced through it. With one last cry, Inha drew the still shining blade back and forward. Her body passed right through the ashes of the creature, and sank into the portal behind it. Energy swirled and crackled at the impact, the portal shrinking smaller and smaller until it fizzled out unceremoniously . Her blade, too, vanished out of existence.

All traces of the monster now float around her in a haze of ash.

“You-! You are-!” The familial voice of the store owner is sputtering from somewhere. More voices are drawing closer.

Target and portal all gone. I'll have someone take care of the witness. Ahem.”

“Great,” Inha sighs. She looks to the man, waves a “v” sign with her fingers at him, before taking a great leap upwards. In two bounds, she'd made it to the top of the building, ignoring the calls for her to come back from the growing crowd below.

I'll call of the others. You're okay right? Sensors show you're fine.”

“I'm good.”

Guess you are. Wouldn't expect less from the next leader.”

“...I suppose,” Inha sighs, sitting down on the rooftop to look up at the sky a moment, “Are they starting the search now for her replacement? Any ideas who it might be?”

No clue. Lots of potentials...but no one that stands out dramatically from the rest yet. Makes you wonder what kind of kids they're training these days if no one is an immediate first pick, eh?”

Inha doesn't respond. What kind of “kids” indeed...

 

 

48e8ec.png

Mondays brought new lessons (or rehashes of old ones depending on your instructors), new opportunity, and moreso, opportunity for Reni to skip those so called “new” lessons. Some might consider it unfair. As one of the top operator candidates, why did Kim Reni receive special treatment? Top contenders to be a member of Crystalline were expected to attend classes, be the models for the other students, show that they were dedicated and ready to serve the greater community as a member of Crystalline!

Those rules were merely suggestions for Kim Reni. This is how she came to find herself strutting around the shopping center, giant sunglasses gracing her face while a wide brimmed hat protected her well sought after skin from the sun. Being a celebrity earned her some perks as far as she was concerned. Every other Monday was dedicated to her schedules.

At noon she has a lunch date with her publicist. She's certain they want to get details about her continued education at Crystal Star Academy (something to give the media and her fancafes she imagines).

At one she is to meet with the CEO of her entertainment company to discuss plans in the event she does not become a member of Crystalline.

At two she had a photoshoot for the academy. Something about promoting active enrollment and modeling the newest uniforms (the pink accents were getting a subtle striping detail).

But first she had a meeting for a commercial she needed to film. But seeing as that was canceled, and that particular schedule was supposed to take three hours...well.

“Minhyun! Come here quick!” Reni called back behind her. Minhyun, her stumbling manager, managed to catch up to her while balancing two shopping bag in each hand, and a prettily wrapped box under his left. He puffed, setting the bags down momentarily to adjust the box under his arm, before looking to the window Reni was motioning to excitedly.

“The Crystalline collection?” He muttered, peering at the earring and ring sets in the jewelry store window. There was a set for each stone of crystalline: garnet, peridot, tourmaline, sapphire, amethyst, and citrine. Each set had subtle differences that surely matched the current bearer of the crystalline gems. Garnets was regal, tourmaline subtle but elegant, sapphire playful but bold, oh Reni wanted all of them. The lights in the case did wonders for making the colors and sparkles stand out so much.

“Do you have the company credit card?”

“Reni. no-”

“Oh fine. You're right. I have too many rings and earrings. Now, my friends!” Reni was already walking into the store, “I don't see them wearing too many. Hani LOVED the little earrings. I think red would look absolutely stunning on her! She could pull off the long earrings. Minri, that sweet child, needs something more subtle. Red is too dramatic for her. Amethyst maybe. Something simple. Oh but Yunyi gets tourmaline. She is going to look so freakin pretty in gold and pink. It'll match her hair so well! Minhyun come on!”

“The company card is only for-”

“-getting things we need. And I simply CANNOT live without getting gifts for my friends, right?” She looked over her shoulder at Minhyun, smiling her sweetest smile. Oh why not throw in a little eyelash batting, and yes, there he is getting the card out. Excellent.

“This one, this one, annnnd this one please!” The cashier nodded affirmative, and even for a second she seemed to recognize Reni, but the mini-celebrity was already swanning out of the store.

Ah. It felt good to have a free morning. Even if Reni needed to get back to the academy by this evening for practice, it was so rare to just walk around aimlessly for once. No lessons, no chiding from teachers to pay more attention, no schedules to keep. Oh, but she does wish she had some of her friends her to keep her entertained. Oh but look!

Across the way in another store window was a display of some beautiful montages of Crystalline. Vaguely hearing Minhyun saying something behind her, Reni bounded over to the display to watch. Garnet graced the first image, her red hair flowing in the subtle breeze as she stood atop the building. The other members of Crystalline assembled behind her as she gazed down at the crowd that gathered. Ahh, it wasn't just a montage. It was a news story. There must have been another attack.

“With the upcoming retirement of Crystalline leader Garnet, the public continues to speculate who the next member of Crystalline will be. The top candidates from the academy have been identified, and trials to determine the top of those will begin.”

Oh.

The reporter continues.

“The selection process,” the screen flashes to older footage from previous years. Old ceremonies of passing the crystals to their new owners from what seems like decades based on the fashion choices shows how over the years, the ceremonies doesn't seem to have changed much. Always so much fanfare and cameras aimed at them. It seemed exhilarating. Mingled with it are scenes of the former Crystalline members emerging from battle, smiling and waving to adoring crowds. One, the former Peridot, carried a baby. She got the most screentime while handing the baby to the mother and being hugged tightly in return.

Reni thinks she'd look amazing in red honestly.

“-can normally take up to a year. But this morning, a release from the PR team has stated that selection process has been accelerated at the request of the current Garnet.”

OH.

“More details will be shared as this story continues to unfold. The question of who will become the next member of Crystalline remains unanswered.”

“Reni, here are your-RENI! Where are you going now?!”

“Back to school Minhyun! I have greatness to study for!” Reni ignores the shocked expression on his face.

 


2859d0.png

Entering the training room that morning brought some troubling thoughts to Jungkook. With the recent accident in the labs, the faculty had doubled down on safety measures. This meant less time in actual practical application and more in just study. For most of the newest students, this was fine. This meant more time for theory that could then be applied to the practical portions of their trainings. Perfect for those who needed that sort of guidance. Dr. Kan was more than happy to talk to anyone who wanted the extra help. From what he saw of some of the other lower leveled students, they definitely appreciated the extra one on one lessons from the eccentric.

But what it also meant was less one on one training for support crews and their designated operatives. In other words, without even having one session, any practical training with Yunyi was not to resume until the cause of the lab accidents was deemed not an ongoing problem. Considering he'd not even had ONE session with her to test how well he could sync up with her; this was definitely a setback. He'd seen the exhibition match with Minri and Hani: they responded and reacted to each other near perfectly. Expectations were high when he accepted the chance to be at the academy. His uncle gave him a firm talking to about familial honor or something before he left.

No pressure.

“Don't look so down Kookie,” Hoseok claps him on the back, “there's plenty for us to do until we get back to what we do best.”

“Like what?”

“Catch!” Jungkook barely reacts in time to catch the bo staff that was hurled at him from another side of the training room. Jimin saunters up, smirking with his own staff balanced across his shoulders, “as top tier support, we get the practice room to ourselves today. Except for us,” he motions to them plus Hoseok and Taehyung, “the other six decided to take the morning off.”

“Unlike those slackers, we're going to take advantage of not having to share this place.”

“For what exactly?”

“Sparring!” Jimin had the staff in hand and spins it in one swift move to slam it with a loud CLACK on the ground, making Jungkook wince at the noise.

“Without the girls to practice sync with, we have to train in the less talked about aspects of our job,” Hoseok offers plainly, planting himself down on the floor some distance from them, “we haven't had a chance to see how good you are yet. Let's see what the newest golden boy can do!”

“You do know we're more than glorified handlers for the girls, right?”

Jungkook knows the reasons. Far too many times has his uncle had literally pulled his partner from the flames of battle. Donning his own gear and charging forward into battle, Uncle Jungmin told about how he'd do anything for the woman he was paired with (all from his wheelchair).

“In the event something were to happen, say to Reni for example, I have to be ready to jump in and protect her if no one else from Crystalline is there. We also have to ensure they don't overstrain and stress their bodies while using the crystals. Since we're human, not Alterverse, our bodies don't actually meld correctly to their tech. This means we have spikes of untold power: but also it can hurt us if we're not careful,” Hoseok continues, motioning to the four of them, “technically, a member if Crystalline is more important than ourselves. Though it's not nearly that bleak! Usually we really are just glorified babysitters for them!”

Usually, Jungkook wants to add, thinking of his uncle needing help to even use the restroom.

“Hey, so, is Reni going to be around today?” he tries to say as casually as possible.

“Nope!” Hoseok laughs, “She's out shopping. Monday's are hers for her idol stuff. Why? Need an autograph?” He waggles his eyebrows at Jungkook, and the younger male tries his best scoff and wave him off.

“Can we get on with it?” Jimin tosses Jungkook some padding for his chest, “Hope you don't mind the staff. It's my personal favorite. Knowing the weapon your operative uses is usually a plus. Yunyi likes fencing swords.

“Whatever you want is okay.”

“Staff it is.”

“Way to go out of your comfort zone,” Taehyung cackles at the glare Jimin shoots him, “I'm not even going to turn on the sensors for this. Play nice kids.”

With Taehyung's shout of “GO!” Jungkook swears he just blinked and Jimin is already almost on top of him. Bringing the staff up, he blocks the overhead swing Jimin nearly landed upon his head. He's able to push up and shove Jimin's staff up high. He sweeps the staff around his body to build momentum and aims it to slam against the shorter male's abdomen. Jimin proves to be just as quick on his feet in defense as offense: he skips back three steps in quick succession, placing him just out of reach for Jungkook's attack.

Jungkook lowered his weapon and smiles, readying to tell Jimin how impressive the move was; but Jimin is already on the offensive again. Spinning the staff, Jungkook is forced to parry blow for blow in rapid fire. Jimin strikes from above, he blocks, and then the staff is already moving under to strike upwards. Jungkook jumps back, slamming his staff against the attack. He uses the momentum to travel his weapon up Jimin's in an attempt to go for his hands: to disarm him. But yet again, Jimin proves fast. Instead of backing up, Jimin parries his staff up to throw off Jungkook's attack. He then drops down low and sweeps out with his leg. Jungkook feels it connect with his ankle and he topples forward. Jimin is there to meet him with a quick strike against his chest, throwing him backwards onto the floor.

Jungkook only has a moment to roll to the side after catching a brief breath; for Jimin is already on offense again, the staff slamming into the ground where he once was. He flips back up to his feet (earning him a whistle from Hoseok), and takes a moment. He dodges another strike from his classmate, and another, and once more. Jimin kepts his onslaught up aggressively, moving quickly and deftly in and then out with another strike from the sides or above. Jungkook keeps up his defense, falling back a step after every assault and keeping his footwork up.

And then, he sees it.

Jimin strikes once more, but this time Jungkook steps forwards. He parries and sidesteps the attack, pushing the staff aside. The movement opens up Jimin's side, and Jungkook takes his chance to strike out against his torso. Jimin gasps at the impact, stumbling slightly to the side. With his opponent off balance, Jungkook swiftly turns the staff to strike at his hands. The attack is so sudden, Jimin gets the staff knocked out of his hands. With one last hit, he trips Jimin and he falls down to the ground weaponless.

“Kookie wins!” Hoseok whoops, bounding over to him, “Dude! I haven't seen someone beat Jimin in staff combat in like never!”

Jungkook shrugs in embarrassment. He looks down and offers his hand to Jimin to help him up. Jimin doesn't seem to register the gesture. He sits up, looking to the ground, and slowly gets to his feet.

“Hey, you okay?” Hoseok immediately loses the good cheer he had a moment ago, “Did Jungkook hit your ribs too hard? Let me see-”

“I'm fine. Good fight.” Jimin responds quickly, giving a short laugh. He quietly excuses himself after congratulating Jungkook. Taehyung looks from Jimin to Jungkook, shrugs and shakes his head, before following after Jimin.

“Hey wait! Jimin!”

“Oof,” Hoseok shakes his head, “he's in a bad mood,” Jungkook wonders if he might have struck harder than he intended. But he didn't. He knows he didn't. Well, good job “rookie”, he chides himself. Making friends already.

“Don't worry too much about him. He gets in a flunk sometimes,” he adds as if reading Jungkook's mind, “he'll be fine by lunch. You were amazing though! Care for some shield practice next?” Jungkook can only nod as Hoseok drags him to pick some new training gear.

 

 

6852e2.png

Very few people arrived earlier to class than Yunyi. It's never a surprise when she comes in and finds herself to be the only one present. It's probably more surprising when one of the people she doesn't expect to be there is. Which is this morning. Having set off after breakfast in an equally empty cafeteria and checking on the sync of hers and Jungkook's gear (after Yoongi's accident, someone else had to take over, and with actual crystal practice on hold while the cause is investigated, allowing more time for the sync, Yunyi knew it would be thorough), she entered the lecture hall to see Hani of all people.

Her blonde friend was flipping through a magazine she recognized as one of those gossip things Reni also liked to look at. The cover currently had a gossip about some fashion designer coming out and stating he was dating Peridot. Rumors always assumed Peridot might be a model or actress in real life, but the likelihood this man was telling the truth was slim. With the tech used in their visors able to basically hide their identities (no, it wasn't as simple as covering their faces), and the inherent color change with the transformation, it was highly, highly unlikely that this man knew who she was actually. Though there was always the possibility he did and was actually spilling the secret. That probably wouldn't stand for long. Yoongi and Namjoon both showed her some diagrams of what Dr. Kan presented as a memory “cleanser” as he liked to call it. While the identity of Crystalline is protected fiercely for their anonymity, sometimes a little help is needed. The top students of the academy even had their identities guarded carefully for this reason. And for those who do end up knowing the Crystalline members? Dr. Kan stated in another lecture it really isn't that hard to cover that up.

Alterverse tech really was something special. Able to sync up with humans on an almost cellular level, alter their forms, their brains, and their physical capabilities. Truthfully, Yunyi hoped Dr. Kan might be around the class this morning since he did tend to swing by Instructor Xuanya's class first thing. She'd read an article in a tech magazine about the unique way Alterverse tech reacted to human DNA and it would have been enlightening to get the doctor's insight as he was of the Alterverse himself-

Yunyi shakes her head and places her bag down next to Hani.

“You're here early.”

“I had to. They released the new Vogue Korea with Tourmaline on the cover, and aside from her being gorgeous, it has an interview with the other members about their daily lives. Gotta be ready for when my time comes,” Yunyi swears she hears her go on about needing to get up super early to get it and make class on time (something about her getting into some real trouble if she did again), but Yunyi's gaze had already fallen to the magazine in front of her on the table. The flowing pink ombre hair of Tourmaline was clear even from this vantage point.

“So I just came early. You know how fast these things sell out when they feature Crystalline? I literally, literally I say Yunyi, had to elbow a rich old hag out of my way. She overdid her eyebrows way too much and whatever BB cream she'd used was all cakey and gross.” Hani drops her current magazine and holds the other up to Yunyi's face, “Interested? Wanna read it?”

“...can...I?”

“If there is one thing you and Honeymoon share, it's good taste in women,” Hani giggles merrily before scooting closer to Yunyi, “Tourmaline is by far, the best one.”

“Was there ever any doubt?”

“There is if you ask Reni. Reni likes Sapphire because of her weapons or ability to be super flashy on the battlefield or something dumb. Flashy? What's flashier than a pair of fans that cause ing whirlwinds? ing typhoons even! And she's being a badass while being pretty in pink! I've been her fan ever since she joined Crystalline!”

“...me too,” Yunyi couldn't stop her smile.

Unfortunately, this is followed by the first wave of remaining students entering followed by their instructor Xuanya. And Xuanya did not tolerate what she called “Crystalline paraphernalia” in her class. Sighing, Yunyi sits back and begins placing her study materials out. Without practical application, this was going to be a study session. Maybe if they are lucky, Xuanya will be in a bad enough mood to just let them read whatever they wanted. Namjoon let her borrow a book on Alterverse plant biology-

“Morning,” Minri mutters groggily before sitting next to Yunyi on the other side, “have you seen Jungkook this morning?”

“Why would I? We can't actually practice.”

“Oh yeah! He beat Jimin this morning in practice!” Hani interjects a little loudly; ignoring Minri's gesture for her to lower her volume, “Taetae told me as I ran past him this morning! Jimin's pretty butthurt over it!”

“Well, yes, he's a little sore about being beaten.”

“Sore? Pfft. He's probably pouting about it. He got his handed to him by a first year!”

“Mind you,” Yunyi interrupts Hani, “Jungkook isn't just a first year. He's already considered top tier in the class. His scores are far better than even Hoseok's when he entered the academy. And now we have actual proof that those numbers matter and it's not all talk.”

“What you mean to say,” Hani winks at her, “is you got yourself a badass partner. Ready to rise in the ranks to replace Garnet?”

Well, yes. That was a given.

“Don't get your hopes up. You've got to get past me first!” Despite her brevity, Yunyi felt her eyes narrow at Hani. That is true. And Minri. And Reni. And anyone else that gets in her way. Only one of them could be Garnet next. The unarguable reality of being at the academy.

“On a happier note: Minri. Favorite Crystalline member?”

“Eh?”

“Who's your favorite? I know everyone's but yours. Ooh, let me guess? It's Amethyst right? You're the steady, defensive type so you'd like her with her shield.”

“Uh, no, not her.”

“Peridot? Steadfast still, but more action oriented? You are a good spar when you put your mind to it!”

“Um, not really.”

“...Garnet?”

“I actually don't have a favorite.”

“...that is literally the most boring of answers. Why are you so lame? Ugh!” Minri just shrugs sheepishly, “So. Boring. You gotta be daring! Dynamic! Make the girls wet and the boys hard!”

Lacking anything else to choke on, Yunyi choked on air and stared, wide eyed, at Hani after her overly loud proclamation. She wasn't the only one. Students all around them had turned to stare. Minri covered her face, the tips of her ears red, but Yunyi can hear her stifling giggles behind her hands. The class slowly started erupting into giggles all around her.

And then silence when the loud clearing of a throat silenced eveyone.

“Have a seat,” Xuanya commands as she stands at the front of the room. All around them, students quickly found their seats. It appears Xuanya really was in a mood afterall, “first, announcements. Formal testing for the replacement of Garnet will commence next week,” excited murmurs, “for those of you who are already paired with a support partner, you can expect open testing. For those of you who do not have a partner, or want to find a new one prior to examinations, you have until end of this week to make final arrangements. Those in the operative class,” she looks at seemingly every person in the classroom, “who do not meet these minimums will not be eligible for this assessment. You, of course, will have opportunity outside of Crystalline should you choose it, or in the event that another role is presented.”

“Pfft, not likely,” Hani scoffs.

“Ma'am?” Another student questions loud enough for the whole class to hear, “This only applies to those who have been officially ranked correct?”

“Did I say that?” Another round of murmurs, “Due to the accelerated nature of this selection process, the high ups of this academy have decided to open the assessment to any who are remotely qualified. In other words, if you've been hating a certain high ranking student: this is your chance to knock the down and take her spot. So if any of you naturally talented hot shots want a chance, take it now.”

Gasps, excited squeals, and all sorts of noise erupts in the classroom. Any semblance of order is lost as students start babbling and chattering way with each other, some rushing up to speak with their instructor (who still looks annoyed).

“Well that's lame,” Hani hums, “what's even the point of being top ranked if it means some nobody can come and steal it?”

“You saying it will be that easy?” Someone behind them asks. Hani spins and scowls at the girl with short brown hair there, “If you're that good, you have nothing to worry about right? Or is your rank just dumb luck?”

“Listen -”

“I mean, hardwork is one thing, but get that plus someone with natural aptitude? What do you think will happen?”

“She's right,” Minri is already standing to gather her belongings, “I need to find Jimin,” before either can stop her, she's pushing past the other students and is out the door.

“Look what you did! You made her panic for nothing,” Hani stands as well, “Come on Yunyi. We should get our guys too. No way I'm letting some nobody claim what's not theirs.” She doesn't wait for Yunyi.

“But, well, this is good right? It means one of you will get selected sooner right?”

“If assumptions are correct, certainly.”

“Well that's good then! It's better than waiting for years for nothing. You and Jungkook should do well.”

“Wait,” Yunyi narrows her eyes at the girl, “how do you know that?”

“Oh, uh,” she smiles shyly, looking away as a blush covers her face, “I looked up all the top people in class. And then their partners. You're Cheon Yunyi, that was Hani and Minri,” the girl looks around the room, “I also see...Yoohyeon, Dahyun, and that's Jiwoo glaring at you-”

“Jiwoo?” Yunyi follows where the other student is pointing, and one of the girl's with long dark hair is staring at her. She notices that Yunyi notices, stands up straight, and is out of the room quickly. Weird, “Are you going to accept the challenge?”

“Oh heck no. I can't even imagine being part of Crystalline.”

“Good to know.” Despite what Hani might proclaim, Yunyi not having a steady partner is concerning. What did she need to do next? Increase practice for one thing. She'd been a little lax with her schedule lately due to Dongho's leaving. She could rearrange her extended study hours with Dr. Kan and Namjoon to focus more on the arena. That should work. And it would leave her time to have a little bit of book study time in the evenings before bed. Wait. How could she be so dumb? She needs to find Jungkook and ensure their sync works. They surely wouldn't make this announcement if there was still a hold on practical training, would they? No time like the present to find out.

“Oh! I haven't said hi yet!” The girl reaches out to offer her hand to Yunyi as she is beginning to rush out, “it was nice talking with you! I'l lbe cheering you both on! You've got my support!”

“Um, thanks.”

“I'm Inha by the way! I'll see you around Yunyi!”

Yunyi barely gave her a nod before rushing out the classroom. Well, if what her friends said is true, at least her new partner is proving to be better than theirs at the moment.