Paint

The Punishment

What kept Nayeon and Mina argue most of the time is that aside from the goddess is truly childish and impatient, she's also living her life title of being a stubborn deity. Nayeon keeps on saying yes whenever Mina reminds her of things; even in reprimanding, she would always agree and promise not to do the same things again and again but only repeating it on the next day. It has became a cycle that most of the people would find frustrating but both of the girls see it as one of the moments they could cherish. At some point, they consider it as form of bonding until one of them who would always be Mina gets pissed off.

 

"Mina!" a loud voice from the back steals her attention and some of the students in the room as well.

 

Mina tilts her head to look at the owner; she flashed a timid smile when she recognized the girl. "Dahyun." she greets.

 

"Momo told me you were at the amusement park last weekend. Hmmmp, why didn't you introduce your girlfriend to me?" the younger woman sounded a bit gloomy and sulky while pouting.

 

"I-" no words escape for an excuse so she ended up sighing. "I'll introduce her to you next time."

 

"Don't you have a picture of her at least?" Dahyun eagerly asks and settles herself down on the neighboring seat. "Momo said she's pretty."

 

"What the hell is Momo blabbering about?" Mina maundered under her breath as she grips her phone tightly. The truth is, she is not ready for her phone to be inspected and for other people to know that she had been keeping a folder full of the goddess' face. She plans to keep it as a secret. 

 

But knowing Dahyun, the girl is so persistent and Mina finds herself giving up to the adorable Korean. She scans the folder and looks for a presentable photo since all she had been doing is steal a snap whenever the goddess is not looking. Almost all of the pictures are candid but nice; the rest are all messy and just funny because Mina takes any kind photo whenever she thinks Nayeon looks cute; which is actually all the time.

 

"Here and please don't swipe for the next one, you won't see anything good there."

 

Despite her request, Dahyun excitedly looks at the other pictures. Her laughter filled the room when she happened to stumble on a photo wherein Nayeon was eating with close eyes. "Seriously Mina, are you a paparazzi?" she giggles and continued scanning the folder. Mina feels her cheek burning after what has Dahyun pointed out; she felt embarrassed from the fact that she really is acting like a paparazzi following a celebrity.

 

The older one heaves a sigh and reaches for her phone. "You're just laughing."

 

"Because it's funny! Cute!" Dahyun yells cheerfully. "Your girlfriend is pretty too; Momo wasn't lying."

 

A smile started to form on Mina's lips when she heard the admiration. "Where did you know her by the way? Pretty sure she wasn't from here because it's impossible for someone like her to be not well known with that kind of appearance." Dahyun muses while scratching her jaw.

 

"From a new neighbor." she lies in haste.

 

Dahyun nods as she believes the Japanese's answer. "You two look good together."

 

"Thanks." Mina laughs a bit with a hint of shyness.

 

The apartment is surprisingly quiet aside from the noise that is coming from the TV when Mina had arrived home. She searches for the goddess inside only to be disappointed because Nayeon is nowhere to be found. The woman's phone is left lying on the couch as well. Mina sits on the sofa to wait for her girlfriend; she's reciting the lines she'll say while scolding the girl once Nayeon arrives.

 

A new drama program flashes on the screen; Mina reads the title and she recognizes it as the drama that Nayeon has been talking about. That drama wherein the leading man has powers and the woman can call his name whenever she needs him; then he'll appear out of the blue. She opts to give it a try; maybe the goddess can hear her as well.

 

"Nayeon." she whispers softly that only her can hear. Mina looks around to see if Nayeon has comeback but there was no one aside from her inside the tiny apartment. "Nayeon." she calls again but a lot louder than the previous one. 

 

There was still no sign of the deity and Mina just shrinks herself down in sadness. "I look like an idiot." she mumbles.

 

"Did you call me?"

 

Mina shrieks and jumps out from the couch when she hears Nayeon's voice on her ear. She was startled that she wasn't able to stop herself from squealing.

 

A slap is then thrown to Nayeon by Mina because of what she did and because of going out without turning off the tv.

 

"Where were you? I told you to not leave the television on if you'll go out."

 

"I didn't do it deliberately. I just disappeared all of a sudden." Nayeon replies.

 

The goddess' answer made Mina forget that she's supposed to be mad. She forgets the lines she's about to yell to the hardheaded woman. Instead of being pissed off; her heart races and nervousness quickly envelopes it. "W-what?" she hardly breathes out.

 

Nayeon grins at her. "I was just kidding. I bought a drink because I got thirsty and you don't have soda in your fridge."

 

Mina wants to believe her excuse. She wants to believe the lie rather than to accept that Nayeon is slowly disappearing. The moment she's been wishing not to exist is slowly happening in her own eyes and she couldn't stop it. If only she can stop her heart from beating for the goddess so that she could keep her forever. But Nayeon already mended her and by accepting the fact that she had moved on, she also needs to accept the truth that Nayeon will go back to where she came from soon.

 

She shakes her head to shrug off the thoughts and then pull Nayeon for an embrace. "Next time, tell me if ever you'll go out."

 

"Okay." Nayeon reciprocates the hug.


~


It has happened again; the goddess disappeared without any message. Mina grows worried as it has been more than two hours since she had seen Nayeon. The younger girl isn't oblivious to not notice the significant change everytime Nayeon would disappear. She knows that the time Nayeon is present is slowly decreasing and as the more the older woman disappears, the longer it takes for her to return.

 

Mina immediately envelopes Nayeon in a hug when she appears in front of her out of the blue. The Japanese was startled at first but she regains her composure to lock the girl in an embrace. "You're scaring me." she says in a low voice.

 

"Me too." Nayeon confessed.

 

"I don't have a class tomorrow. I'll stay here with you."

 

"Okay." Nayeon nods on her shoulders.

 

She asked Nayeon to sleep beside her tonight. The goddess even beamed her a playful grin while wiggling her brows when Mina invited her. "You want to cuddle?" Nayeon wears that kind of annoying grin while enjoying the moment of a flustered Mina.

 

"Honestly yes." Mina answers truthfully even though she's still feeling embarrassed.

 

"Come here." the goddess taps the empty space on her side for the invite.

 

Mina crawls her way to Nayeon's side. She wraps her arm around the goddess' waist immediately after settling to a comfortable position. Her bold action made Nayeon utter a soft chuckle. "Cute." the older woman whispers while caressing Mina's head. She grips Nayeon's shirt tightly as she scooches closer to the person's neck; soon, she felt her eyes closing on their own.

 

The Japanese wakes up amidst of the loud clap of the thunderstorms; but instead of being terrified by the weather condition, she was more scared with the fact that she's now alone in her room. Nayeon is nowhere beside her; she had disappeared again. Tears immediately escaped from her eyes. Mina draws the pillow closer and hugs it tightly while sobbing. The pain she's feeling is as painful when she broke up with her ex. No; she even thinks it's a lot deeper than that.

 

"Nayeon.." she calls the goddess' name in the middle of her cries. "Nayeon!" the intensity of her voice gets louder as she repeats the letters countless of times.

 

"Nayeon!!" she screams.

 

"Hey! Hey; I'm here. Sshhh." she hears the woman's voice and feels the warmth Nayeon gives beside her again. Mina was just dreaming but she cried her heart out in reality. Nayeon cups her cheeks to wipe off the tears. "I'm still here." Nayeon mumbles and gives her a chaste kiss on the forehead.

 

Mina snuggles to the older's chest while still sobbing. Few seconds later, she feels a warm palm on her back, rubbing it against her shirt to comfort her. "Stop crying." Nayeon relays again. She wanted to stop; God knows how much she wanted to control her tears but they seemed to have the minds on their own. They're not stopping no matter how hard she bites her lip; they're not stopping even though Nayeon was the one wiping them away; they just couldn't be stopped.

 

Morning came and Mina wakes up with puffy eyes and dried tears on her cheeks. Nayeon is still sleeping beside her while snoring lightly. She forgot until what time Nayeon had stayed awake just to comfort her while singing a song. Mina raises her hand to touch the woman's face. She traces the features starting from her eyebrows, down to the nose then fondling the cheek briefly before focusing on the goddess' lips. Nayeon moans and pulls slightly away from the younger one. Mina just smiles and thinks it's adorable then moves closer to the older girl to continue what she's doing.

 

"It tickles." Nayeon mumbles suddenly causing Mina to halt her moves and withdraw her hand away but Nayeon caught it before she was able to hide it fully. "Good morning." the woman beams her a smile before kissing her hand; the one she used a while ago for tracing Nayeon's face.

 

Feeling the goddess' lips on her skin turned her face into a shade of red. Mina covers her face with both of her palms. Nayeon cracks a chortle seeing her girlfriend acting all embarrassed by just that simple action.

 

"Don't laugh at me!" Mina whines.

 

"Why? You're cute."

 

The Japanese groans and buries herself to the woman's chest. Nayeon continued laughing for few more seconds until she was satisfied. She hums a tune as she caress Mina's back.

 

"I've been thinking..." the older girl trails off. "Do you want me to erase your memories?"

 

Mina leans away and glares at the person beside her. "What?"

 

"It's the only way you would forget about me and you wouldn't miss me once I'm gone."

 

She strays away fully from the goddess' embrace and turns around to focus her gaze to the wall. "No. Don't you ever do that." she grips the pillow tightly; almost ripping it as she tries her best to prevent herself from crying again.

 

"But-"

 

"Why wouldn't you listen to me? I said no!" Mina losses her patience and ended up raising her voice.

 

"Alright.. Alright. I'm sorry." Nayeon rubs her arm and lands a kiss on her shoulder. "I'm sorry. I just don't want you to get hurt."

 

This time, Mina turns around to face the older woman. "Then don't do it. I want to remember you; I want to keep you even in just my memories." she croaks out in the middle of frustration and sadness.

 

Nayeon nods. "I promise I won't. I love you." she muses as she closes the remaining gap they had in between.

 

Mina wanted to ask her whether it's her heart that was talking; whether she truly loves her and not because of some stupid spell. But she couldn't find a strength to even utter a single word; she's afraid that she might not hear the reply she always wanted; so she decided to keep it to herself and buried it deeply as she reciprocates the kiss.


~


It's been hours since Nayeon told Mina that she'll go somewhere because she needs to buy some stuff. Mina finds it weird because normally, Nayeon wouldn't leave if Mina told her not to; but the goddess insisted in leaving this time.

 

Mina chose to shrug her negative thoughts off and focuses her attention in cleaning her unit. She set aside the boxes and pushes the couch on the corner to clean the floor thoroughly. The dust scatters in the air while she's busy getting a hold to the vacuum. There are a lot of folded papers stuck in the corner of the couch and she automatically accused Nayeon since she's not the one causing all those mess and there's no other person living with her. Mina gathers all the trash and placed it to a box as before bringing the thing to the roof deck. 

 

A memory flashes inside her mind when she saw the underwear Nayeon was waving to her face the first time she met the goddess. It was just that one time that she forgot to close the door connecting the roof deck and her unit that's why Nayeon was able to enter her house. But then she also realized that the woman has powers, she would still be able to enter the apartment in another way.

 

She carries the box and places it beside the trash bin. Mina's attention fixated on another bigger box that is situated on the right side of the door going to her pad. The first and only thing she saw when she decided to take a peek was paper; they were all papers in different colors folded into some shape. She reached for that thing to have a proper look.

 

"Don't throw that." Nayeon's voice startled her and she unintentionally tears the design.

 

"Sorry." Mina abruptly apologized.

 

The older girl walks closer to her and closes the box. "It's okay, just don't throw the box away yet. I'm trying to finish it."

 

"Why are you making tons of those?"

 

"You're Japanese, you know why." she replies as she bit her lip.

 

"A thousand paper crane?"

 

Nayeon nods before scratching her nape. "I just actually got bored because I was alone most of the time, so I decided to start doing that when I saw a video in the internet." she explains.

 

"Ohh." somehow, Mina feels sad after hearing Nayeon say that she was alone most of the time. The goddess doesn't even go out because she doesn't allow her to. Now that Mina had thought about it, she realized it was a bit overboard and she was too protective yet Nayeon didn't utter a complain or anything at all. "How many did you make already?" she asks sincerely.

 

"Hmm? I think 956; I wrote it down on the cover." Nayeon answers with a smile.

 

"I tore one accidentally." Mina's lips quiver when she feels her chest tightens all of a sudden.

 

"Oh then it's 955." the woman chats nonchalantly. "Let's go back inside." Nayeon grips her palm and drags her back to the unit.

 

"I bought papers actually in case you're wondering." Nayeon muses once they're inside.

 

Both of the girls finished cleaning the room before Mina told Nayeon to order a pizza for dinner. Nayeon used her fake bills to pay the delivery guy again even though Mina told her not to because it's a bad thing.
"Their business won't die because of that." Nayeon reasoned out.

 

"Still!" Mina huffs in exasperation.

 

"Let's just eat Myoui." the older girl winks at her because Nayeon knows that Mina would always stop blabbering whenever she calls her with her last name.

 

"That's not fair."

 

The goddess laughs. "You know me."

 

In the end, Mina decided to let it go since most of the time, it was always Nayeon who would compromise just to please her; she lets her heart decide this time.

 

"Where are you going?" the younger one asks Nayeon when she sees the goddess marching inside her room while carrying a pillow.

 

"To sleep beside you."

 

"Hmmm. I don't remember asking you though." Mina beams a mischievous smile.

 

Nayeon completely expresses a different emotion; her face is void as she stares back to her girlfriend. "You'll regret it later on."

 

"I was just kidding." Mina takes back her word in haste after seeing how serious Nayeon was. "You don't need to act like that..." she whispers.

 

The goddess pushes her down to bed and straddles on top of her. It was too fast that Mina was taken aback and wasn't able to react. Nayeon bends down and despite thinking what is about to happen next, Mina just closes her eyes as she anticipates for a kiss; which never came so she opens her eyes again. The goddess has leaned down completely on top of her but she was just hugging the younger girl. After few more minutes, Nayeon lies down beside her and started humming a tune.

 

"You closed your eyes; do you want me to kiss you?" if Mina didn't notice to tone, she would think that the goddess was just trying to but then Nayeon sounded so serious that it made her heart beat faster.

 

"Are you okay?" she asks back.

 

Nayeon tucks the hair on Mina's face back to her ear. "I'm not actually. I'm in pain."

 

"W-why?" her lips tremble.

 

"I don't know; it's just that my heart has been aching for the past days."

 

Mina leans her head close to the woman's heart so that she could hear the beats. "Does it still hurt now?"

 

"Yes, a lot." she feels Nayeon flinch and when she looks up, she saw the goddess wincing in pain. 

 

It was rattling her, she doesn't know what to do at all. Mina reaches for Nayeon's face and fondles the cheek. "Tell me, what could I do?"

 

"I-"

 

The goddess breathes deeply and frees her hand from the tight grip before. "I'm okay... I'm okay now." Nayeon heaves a deep sigh again.

 

"Was it because of me?" Mina wasn't able to stop herself from asking that question while wearing a worried look on her face.

 

"I don't know."

 

"Maybe the spell is slowly getting lifted." it's only normal for Mina to feel sad about it because it's one of the things she wishes not to happen. "Do you still love me?"

 

"I do. I still do." the goddess answers without any hesitation.

 

"Really?" she sounded so hopeful as she lifts her head up to look at Nayeon.

 

"Yes. I still love you so much." Nayeon assures her; accompanied by a tiny smile before she captures the younger's lips. The kiss was sweet, only their lips dancing with rhythm. 


~


Mina forgot what time she fell asleep last night. She only remembers the tune Nayeon kept on humming while rubbing her back. With her eyes half open, the Japanese walks outside her room to look for the goddess that was already up since she didn't see her on her bed.

 

"Nayeon?" she calls as she grabs a glass to fill it with water for her to drink. 

 

"Nayeon?" Mina tries again when she receives no reply.

 

The apartment felt so empty and silent all of a sudden. She leaves the glass on the counter and marches to the couch to check if the bill she's been hiding in the corner is still there. Her tears immediately ran down when she couldn't find it anymore. Nayeon always told her that everything she makes with her magic will disappear the moment she'll go back to her home and that money was one of those which Mina had kept a long time ago. With the bill being gone, the strength on her knees also disappears tardily. She grips the edge of the couch as she keeled down on the floor before her sobs turn into a wail.  Mina couldn't care less on what other people would think about her when they hear her crying her heart out. They wouldn't understand the pain she's suffering right now.

 

That's why Nayeon has been acting all weird for the past days, especially last night. Mina had thought about the idea but she didn't want to believe it that's why it doubles the emotions she's feeling right now. She feels sad, and regretful because she should have spent all her time with her.

 

Mina runs back to her room and searches for the bottle that the old lady gave her before. She knows it came from magic as well, good thing it was still here; it didn't vanish just like Nayeon. Without thinking twice, she drinks the liquid in one shot and thinks about the first time Nayeon appears in her apartment. She feels herself getting all dizzy and her body getting heavy as well that she couldn't suport herself to stand up at least. Mina lies herself down on the bed and slowly closes her eyes.

 

What Mina saw when she opened her eyes again was the knife on her hand as she's busy slicing the carrots and boiling a pot of water in the kitchen. It felt too familiar but she couldn't understand why.

 

A person suddenly cleared , making Mina turn around to check who the owner is. "Who are you?" she quickly asks as she points the knife to the lady.

 

It was after few more seconds before the girl uttered a reply with her arms raised above as a sign of surrender.  "Wow- uhh. You're a lot gorgeous in real life."

 

"W-what?!" Mina couldn't help but to stammer when she's really taken aback. She then notices the underwear the person was holding. "ert!" she shrieks.

 

In a swift movement, Mina reaches for her phone to call the police. "Don't come near me, I'm going to call the cops." she warns; still pointing a knife to the unknown person.

 

They started arguing as the lady whines and tells her not to call the cops. "Hold on lady. You may be beautiful but I won't let you send me to jail."

 

Mina finds it weird that it feels like everything has already happened before; it was like a deja vu. She wasn't even surprised when the knife flies away from her hand. The woman stares at her in awe when she didn't react after seeing something fly away on its own.

 

"Aren't you startled at least?" the lady confusedly questions. She's wearing a frown while asking that.

 

"Nayeon." Mina mutters a familiar name that has been running inside her mind.

 

The woman in front of her gapes and takes a step closer. "You know me?!"

 

"Nayeon." she utters again.

 

"Yes; that's my name." for the first time, the lady flashes a smile to her. Mina recognizes the bunny teeth right away and the memories that was kept hidden on the side of her brain came running like a flood.

 

She quickly reaches for the goddess in front of her and locks her in her arms. Now that she knows who the person standing in front of her is, she couldn't help herself but to sob.

 

"I- w-what?" Nayeon mumbles in bafflement.

 

"I love you Nayeon." Mina cries the words she failed to say to the goddess the time they were together.

 

"Wow...uhmm." Nayeon shuts and wraps her arms around Mina as well. "My heart is beating abnormally. I guess I love you too."

 

Mina laughs when she hears the reply. The girl was truly Nayeon; her Nayeon. "I wish you'll just stay." she murmurs as she buries herself on the crook of the goddess' neck.

 

There was no reply anymore. Mina closes her eyes when she felt the cold breeze brushed against her skin. The dream was already done and she wakes up in her bed alone. She started crying once again. Now that she's experiencing it first hand, Mina recalls what Nayeon had told her about erasing her memory. What if she had said yes? She wouldn't be like this right now but at the same time, she wouldn't remember what it feels like to be loved by a goddess at some point in her life.

 

She decided to go to the roof deck to breathe some air. The box where Nayeon has been keeping the paper cranes was still there; causing Mina to hope that the goddess didn't leave yet. It wasn't empty as well, the papers are still there but this time there is a rectangular shaped object wrapped by some cover, a paper flower and a note inside the box. Mina decided to bring those things inside her unit. She squats on the floor as she lies the objects on the ground.

 

The flower is the first thing she looks at; it was in pure white and by just looking at it, Mina knows that Nayeon has been practicing for days for the flower to be perfect. Next is the tiny note in a form of a folded paper. She already had a feeling that it would be a letter even before she had opened it.

 

Dearest Mina,

Sorry I wasn't able to finish the cranes; I'm still at 983. I am so close and it upsets me that I don't have enough time to even finish it. I won't even get the chance to say goodbye to you because you're still sleeping and waking you up only to make you cry is the last thing I want to do before leaving.

If you're wondering why all the cranes are still there even when I am not anymore, it's because I stole your money and used it to buy those papers; forgive me for this one, I know it's a terrible thing to do but I couldn't make anything that would stay out of my own money.

 

Mina had to pause reading after the second part. She wasn't sure why she's laughing in the middle of her cries; she must have lost her mind. 

 

I actually wanted to color that flower red but then I forgot to buy one that's why it ended up like that. At least it won't die right? Real flowers wither and plastics are just not my taste.

Also, I know you've been taking pictures of me secretly; I just didn't tell you that it will go to waste because I would disappear from there as well. 

 

"No way." Mina mumbles and hastily reaches for her phone to check the photos. The folder is still there but there's no Nayeon in any single picture; it was like Mina has been taking random photos of the scenery rather than the goddess.

 

It's a rule; we need to omit any evidence of our existence in your world once we're done with our mission; even your friends who had seen me, they won't remember me at all. You should also be included but I had managed to convince my mother to let you go since I promised you that I won't erase your memories. I'll get punished again for this but at least I did what you had asked me. I know you won't also tell other people about me because you've been overprotective while I was there.
 
And the frame, I asked someone to paint me so that you'll have something to keep. I pleaded my mother to not destroy it as well; I made sure she's in the good mood when I asked her. I know it's not that much but my time wasn't enough to let me do more things. I hope you understand.

I love you, always. 

Your goddess,

 

The letter ended in that line with Nayeon leaving her name out. Mina sets the paper aside and grasps the rectangular object before tearing the cover off. Nayeon's painted features was all on the small sheet in the frame. Seeing her made Mina swallow the lump in . She hugs the art tightly as she cries her heart out again.

 

----------------

The language amazing, you remove a letter from a word the meaning will automatically change. Just like paint, remove the t and you'll see pain. (;

Sorry for not updating this fic over two weeks.