One and Only Rule

The Punishment

The first thing that Nayeon asked Mina on her first day of stay was, what is the name of the black object hanging on her wall. "It's called TV." she replied and the goddess nodded and asked again about the other things, the phone, the playstation, even the coffeemaker, the refrigerator, the microwave. Everything.

 

"Wow, it's cold." Nayeon said in pure amusement, like she's a four year old kid. She kept on opening the door of the fridge from time to time whenever she's bored; just whenever she feels like it.

 

Mina caught her countless of times and also scolded the goddess already, but it seems like Nayeon's head is as hard as a rock that she won't just listen to her. It's already been a month since Nayeon arrived and this time, Mina catches Nayeon red handed again. The goddess' head is peeking inside as if looking for something to eat or drink but Mina is sure that Nayeon is just feeling the cold that the machine gives. 

 

Once the door of the fridge is in her reach, she pushed it quickly to close it, almost squeezing Nayeon in the process. "Yah!" Nayeon yells at her.

 

"How many times do I have to tell you to stop doing that? Stop it already, you're making me mad."

 

"But it's cold! I like it." Nayeon insists.

 

"There's an aircon, it's cold as well."

 

The goddess tightens the grip on the door and pouts. "It doesn't have a light! This thing has!" 

 

"God, are you sure you're a goddess or just some stubborn idiot with powers?"

 

Nayeon immediately steps back from her. Mina sees how fast Nayeon's expression changes after what she had said. She sees sadness, disappointment, and perhaps angriness as well. She feels guilty right away, sometimes she can't really control when she's pissed off.

 

"Hmm. Okay then, I'll just watch tv." Nayeon mutters in a very low tone and walks away.

 

Mina sighs and follows Nayeon, not because she'll say sorry even if it's on the tip of her tongue but because she'll play a video game. She feels guilty even more that she's going to use the tv for her sake and Nayeon wouldn't be able to watch shows on it. 

 

"What? You're going to play again? You're so unfair Mina." the goddess complains once she sees Mina on the one seater sofa. "And it's so unfair that I couldn't get angry to you no matter what." Nayeon grumpily crosses her arms on her chest as she snorts.

 

The Japanese finds herself smiling at Nayeon's words. She didn't need to lie to herself that Nayeon's presence really helped her for the past month. The goddess kept her entertained in a way, not to mention that she can always request anything and Nayeon would make it happen. She doesn't want to be selfish but she couldn't help it sometimes.

 

"I swear when I go back to heaven I won't upset my mother anymore." she hears Nayeon's murmurs.

 

She is unable to mask her curiosity when she hears it. "When will you go back?" Mina asks.

 

Nayeon stands up and pushes a chair next to her before answering. "Once you're already okay."

 

"What? You'll disappear suddenly?"

 

The goddess nods. "What are you looking for anyway?" she added to change the topic.

 

Mina didn't answer right away when her thoughts got drowned by Nayeon's confession. Thinking that the person who accompanied her for the past month and probably more days in the future would suddenly disappear like a bubble saddens her. She knows she got used to Nayeon's annoying existence and she knows that even though their relationship isn't as long compared to her other friends, she's going to miss her once she's gone.

 

"Hey." Nayeon's call brought her back to the reality. She blinks before glancing at the girl. "I'm looking for my console." she finally answers.

 

"Ohh, the black thing? I could make you another one if you like." Nayeon offers with a wide smile.

 

She agrees with Nayeon. It's really unfair that all throughout the past days, she hasn't seen Nayeon getting mad at her even if she sometimes says mean things. It's unfair how her words can hurt Nayeon even if the goddess doesn't want to be in that position in the first place. The punishment is really unfair because Nayeon is utterly nice to her. It's making her soft; forcibly and unconsciously.

 

"Here." Nayeon gives her the console she had managed to produce from the ball of light of her hands.

 

"Thank you."

 

"Anything for you my love." despite hearing it more than once, Mina felt shy at this. She'll never get use to the cheesy endearment that the woman would call her at random times.

 

She takes a deep breath before talking. "Sorry a while ago Nayeon." she offers her most sincere voice to the woman while looking directly to her eyes.

 

Nayeon looks away in haste. The blush gushes to her neck and Mina notices it. "Don't look at me like that. It's making my heart flutter." she says sheepishly, making Mina chuckle after hearing it.

 

"Do you know Hwayugi?" Nayeon suddenly changes the topic again and Mina smirks. The goddess really learned something from her one month stay; she's not as clueless as she was before. 

 

The older girl pushes herself closer to Mina, that's why she earned a narrowed look from the Japanese with one brow raised. Nayeon pulls away minimally and a ruler suddenly flies in between them to measure their distance from each other. Mina set a rule on Nayeon's second day of stay that the distance between the two of them should be at least a ruler away. This was because Mina woke up snuggled in Nayeon's arms after that very first night. The goddess insisted way back then that it's beyond her control, she doesn't want to look like a creep but she misses her so she sneaked inside her room that night. Nayeon even pointed out that she didn't know Mina would be mad; she didn't know it's a such a bad thing to do when she always sees lovers cuddling on the bed. But the thing is, they're not a couple. That was also the first time Mina uttered her very first hurtful statement to Nayeon. 
"You may be in love but I'm not. We don't feel the same. So please, don't go near me ever again without my permission."
How mean can she be? She knows that even though Nayeon didn't want to be in love with her, the feelings are still true and genuine; hence she can hurt her easily by saying those things.

 

"Mina!" the goddess snaps at her. "You're not really listening to me. I am a ruler apart from you though. Do you want me gone?" she could almost hear the sadness in Nayeon's voice. 

 

Mina lifts her head up before shaking it frantically. "No!" she quickly answers, too fast for her liking but she let it pass.

 

"And that no is for?" the goddess arms herself with a clueless expression so Mina decided to lie. She doesn't want to feel embarrassed in front of her. "For your first question." she says, even though the no was really for Nayeon's words about leaving.

 

Nayeon's mouth slightly opens, looking a bit shock for Mina's answer. "You don't know it? It's really famous. Hmmm this is because all you know is that video game and penguins." 

 

As much as she wants to refute, Nayeon's statement makes sense so the Japanese just lowers her head shyly.

 

"You should watch it." the girl suggests. "Maybe then you'll get what I feel. But I am not a monkey though, I'm too pretty to be that."

 

Mina finds herself laughing after hearing it. Nayeon always adds conceited description to hype herself up anytime. She placed the controller back to the box before standing up. Nayeon hastily follows her action. "Where are you going? I thought you're going to play?" the goddess asks.

 

"I got hungry. I'll cook ramen before playing."

 

"I could just make it for you, you know."

 

"I want to cook Nayeon." she insists, besides it's not a good thing to depend on Nayeon's magic all the time.

 

While in the middle of preparing her midnight snack, Mina accidentally wounded her finger. It's just a small cut yet the blood exits it like some dam releasing water. She let go of the knife and groans lowly. Nayeon immediately attended her after noticing Mina's weird actions.


"This is why I told you that I could just make it." the goddess' tone is coated with concern. The frown on her face makes it more evident that she's indeed worried.

 

"It's just a small one, don't overreact." she defends and tries to pull her hand away from Nayeon's grip.

 

The goddess didn't let her do it so. Instead, Mina feels the heat rush to her face the moment Nayeon the wouded finger. Her eyes grew wide as she could feel the warmth inside the girl's mouth, and even her tongue that slides off the wound for quite some time. The cut is already gone the moment Nayeon pushes herself away.

 

"D-do you really have to do that to heal me?" she stutters at her own words, still in awe and the eyes are still wide.

 

Nayeon shakes her head while smiling. "No, I just want to flirt." she winks at Mina before biting her lower lip.

 

Sometimes, Mina thinks that Nayeon had cast a spell on her. It's the only excuse she's feeding herself in order to explain the tingling feelings that would build up inside her. Her heart flutters most of the time. The goddess looks utterly beautiful in her eyes. She sometimes feels that her intestines are knotting each other in her stomach whenever Nayeon smiles at her. She recognizes a familiar feeling again. The warmth, the heartbeats, all of the things she felt before for her ex; it's creeping and it's starting to scare her.

 

"Are you sick?" she almost jumps out when she felt Nayeon's palm on her forehead. "Hmm you're not. You're just acting so weird." Nayeon hums and took a step back.

 

The goddess was already done cooking the ramen Mina had started. She was just too busy staring at nowhere and contemplating her thoughts that she forgot about the food. Nayeon waited for Mina to finish eating before telling her that she would be sleeping already on the couch. The sofa is the place where Nayeon sleeps ever since Mina thrown her out after sneaking inside her room before. 

 

"But I would still be playing." Mina sets an excuse because she doesn't want to be alone and having no one to talk to.

 

"But I am sleepy...." Nayeon pouts. "But okay since I love you, I'll fight my sleep." she wraps her arms around her knees as she coops herself.

 

Mina chews her lower lip to hide her smile. She turns on the tv and arranges the playstation before settling herself on the sofa next to Nayeon. She automatically felt the goddess moving away from her to keep their one ruler distance. It's starting to make her realize that she should lift that rule already since it's just making things awkward.

 

A couple more minutes had passed and the person she's talking to had stopped responding to everything she shares about the game. She would just hear Nayeon's soft mumbles and hums that's why she glances at the goddess' direction to check if her intuition is right; and she is indeed, Nayeon is already asleep; her head rests at the arm support of the couch while she's in crouching position. It looks like she's trying so hard to not stretch herself so that she won't touch Mina and disturb her.

 

She smiles before standing up to grab the blanket to cover Nayeon's legs. She knows how much the goddess loves the cold weather so she just covered the small portion of the girl's body. 

 

The game continued until she felt tired after finishing another mission. It automatically saves the progress so Mina just exits the game and turns off the tv. She's currently arranging the game box and keeping the console when suddenly a fast lightning followed by a loud thunder clapped; startling her. She almost squeak for being surprised; she likes the drizzles but really hates the storm.

 

Her brain is battling whether to wake Nayeon up or not. She knows she won't be able to sleep at ease in this condition but she stopped herself from bothering the goddess when she remembers that all she did today was to be mean at her. Nayeon looks so tired and Mina doesn't want to abuse the goddess' feelings for her; not even to the moments like this.

 

She grips the blanket tightly and pulls the pillow on top of her ear to cover it. Mina starts thinking about anything to distract herself. Starting from counting numbers, then imagining herself as celebrity. She's hopelessly trying anything to divert her attention away from the heavy rain.

 

All of her thoughts just halts and her heart started beating rapidly when she felt a movement on the right side of her bed. The sudden shift of the weight made her lowered the blanket to peek at the other side. She was about to utter a word but then the person lying next to her started tapping her shoulder, comforting and encouraging her to sleep.

 

"You're scared. Don't worry, I'm still a ruler away from you." Nayeon continued tapping her gently as a ruler flies and settles on the space between them.

 

"How- how did you know?"

 

The goddess hums, her eyes are still close and Mina is the only one looking. "I already told you before, I could feel your emotions. If you're sad then I am, if you're happy then I am as well."

 

"So you're scared right now too?" she asks curiosly.

 

Nayeon nods. "Only because you're scared. Sleep now, you still have a class later and don't worry; I'll be gone when you wake up."

 

It's almost choking Mina, how her heart is unsettled as of the moment. She finds it hard to breathe and it's heavy. Thinking how Nayeon can be this nice to her and always does anything to please her is making the defensive wall she built before crumble easily.

 

Despite her better judgement, Mina scooches closer to Nayeon. Wrapping her arm around the goddess' waist and buries herself to the comfort Nayeon is offering. The taps Nayeon has been giving suddenly stops. It appears like Nayeon is fully awake now when Mina decided to stare back at the girl in the middle of the silence enveloping them.

 

"Are you forgetting the rule?" Nayeon asks cluelessly; looking so innocent, like a lost child in the streets.

 

She shakes her head. "No. I just want you to stay." the confession rolled out from before she could stop it. So Mina lowers her gaze and buries herself even more to Nayeon to hide her face away. 

 

Nayeon continued tapping her shoulder again, also making her other hand slid off under Mina's body to make its way to the Japanese's back so that she could hug her comfortably. The goddess pulls her closer, sending gentle rubs in the process. She gently caress her hair before planting a kiss on Mina's forehead. "I should ask Zeus to frequently do the storm." Nayeon mumbles softly, making Mina smile.


~


The first time Nayeon knew that Mina was leaving the unit for hours to go to school was purely destructive. The goddess whined about it for hours because she wouldn't understand why Mina has to leave to attend some lesson and even insisted that she could just teach Mina everything she needed so that she could stay. Nayeon also asked if she could come but the Japanese is firm with her decision about not letting Nayeon out of the apartment. She didn't say it the older girl but the main reason that's she's that hard is because she's afraid that someone might see Nayeon doing all that magical things. Of course she knows that she shouldn't worry because no one would beat Nayeon's if ever but her brain insisted to be protective, and so it happened.

 

Mina almost felt her soul leave her body the moment she got out from the restroom cubicle and was greeted by a smiling face of the goddess. She knows Nayeon is hardheaded, but she didn't expect her to surprise her in the freaking comfort room out of all places. She shouted, yes; heck she almost throw a restless punch on the woman's body if Nayeon wasn't so fast to dodge that.

 

"What the heck are you doing here?! You scared the out of me!" she snaps furiously.

 

Nayeon rubs her shoulder gently, making her relax. "Hey, I'm sorry. I didn't mean too. But you said I should avoid people so I chose this place to wait for you."

 

She closes her eyes in annoyance before exhaling deeply. She was ready to talk again but then the door of the restroom opens and the most unexpected person walks in, the girl she had been avoiding for days. It's Tzuyu.

 

Unconsciously, Mina grips Nayeon's hand tightly. The goddess stares at her confusedly, she wasn't able to recognize Tzuyu's face right away and she didn't get why Mina suddenly held her hand.

 

"Unnie." Tzuyu sends a small bow to acknowledge her ex. Her eyes then landed on Mina and Nayeon's hands, her gaze stayed there for a while before looking back to Mina.

 

The Japanese wanted to pull her hand away, she wanted to hide. She doesn't want Tzuyu to see her holding other person's hand. She's stupid. But Nayeon is not; she didn't let go of her, instead she clears to grab Tzuyu's attention. She now remembers who this girl in front of them is and why Mina is acting like that.
"You're her ex?"

 

Mina wanted to slap Nayeon's arm right then but out of being taken aback by the sudden question, the only reaction she gave was her wide eyes in shock.

 

Tzuyu looks at Nayeon like she's some kind of stupid person. It's the first time she sees this unfamiliar face but she has the guts to ask that right away. Tzuyu stares. "I am." she replies.

 

The goddess nods subtly. "Thank you for letting her go."

 

"What?" the youngest among the three leans back with a frown on her face. She shifts her eyes between the two girls in front of her.

 

"What, what? I said thank you for letting Mina go." Nayeon continues to mumble things after that as well, something in between how Mina and Tzuyu are the same in asking things twice. "She's now with me by the way." the oldest girl added, she clenches Mina's palm upon saying that.

 

Mina lifts her head to look at Nayeon, she had never seen Nayeon looked so determined and serious the entire time she is with her. This is just the first time and it fascinates her. She didn't know the goddess has this side as well.

 

Tzuyu's mouth slightly opens, she wanted to say something but decided not to. She just gave them a nod before turning her body away to exit the room; forgetting the main reason why she entered it in the first place. She literally acted like everything she heard was nothing and it irked Nayeon to the core, realizing that the woman whom Mina loved dearly doesn't give an ounce of interest to her anymore. "Your ex is a jerk." she declares.

 

Mina heaves a deep sigh before pulling her hand from the goddess. "She's with someone too already, it's normal that she reacted that way."

 

"Are you defending her?" Nayeon raises a brow before crossing her arms on her chest.

 

The Japanese didn't answer but Nayeon knows what that silence means. "Of course. You still love her." the girl utters weakly. She lowers her arms and tiredly leans on the back of the door. "When will you actually move on Mina?"

 

She knows she's being unfair to Nayeon. After all, they really became a lot closer after Nayeon comforted her that rainy night. She knows everything she does, even the slightest, could hurt the goddess' feelings if she's not careful enough. She knows it too well but still managed to do it. "It's not an overnight ritual Nayeon. You just don't understand." Mina feels tired already, for explaining everything repetitively to a person who won't open her mind to comprehend a thing.

 

"You're hurting me." the goddess confess, vulnerably.

 

Mina sees the sadness in her eyes but chose to ignore it. "It's not my fault."

 

Nayeon clenches her fists before pushing herself to stand straight. She hums before nodding. "I'll go now." she says without batting a gaze to the Japanese and then in a blink of an eye, she disappears in front of her.

 

Sometimes, Mina thinks if Nayeon will be just gone like that the time she'll go back to heaven; just like a normal teleportation she would do whenever she wants to run away. Thinking about how fast the goddess would disappear suddenly pooled an emotion inside Mina; she suddenly felt scared.


~


What makes Mina even more guilty is that after all of the fights and petty quarrels they would do, Nayeon would still be the first one to reach out for her. Same thing that has happened today. Nayeon greets her with a wide grin as soon as she opened the door, as if she didn't say those insensitive words to the goddess while they're in school.

 

"Let's watch a movie Mina." she states enthusiastically while hugging a throw pillow as she walked to meet Mina halfway in the living room. 

 

Mina stares softly at the woman. She places her bag on the chair and walks with her to the couch. "You know what, you should use the money that I've made because it will disappear once I'm back above." Nayeon suddenly says out of nowhere before they settle themselves on the comfort of the sofa. 

 

"It will disappear?" Mina tilts her head to glance at the goddess.

 

Nayeon meets her gaze and throws a cheeky smile before nodding. "Save your real money later since it will stay while the one I'm making will be gone."

 

"Isn't that scamming the people where we buy though?"  she sighs.

 

"Yes but who cares, they wouldn't know."

 

The Japanese just laughs at this. All the time she spent with Nayeon made her realize why the goddess got punished. She's indeed stubborn and mischievous.

 

But thinking how everything will be gone once Nayeon goes back to where she belongs made Mina's heart feel heavy again. She doesn't just get it but whenever Nayeon starts talking about leaving, her chest automatically tightens. Maybe because she feels guilty most of the time for just using Nayeon's feelings to her gain. She feels like she's not thankful enough that someone like Nayeon appeared in her life in the saddest moment. She probably continued to live so lifeless if Nayeon didn't got punished to mend her.

 

"Can't you just stay here?" the question slips out of her and it's too late to take it back because Nayeon already heard it.

 

The goddess pushes herself backwards to rest at the support. "Hmm that means we will let go of being immortal if we'll choose to live here forever."

 

"So you're not going to be a goddess anymore?"

 

"Yes." she nods. "Also, only stupid does that. How can someone like us let go of everything we have and choose to live in this cruel world? Be complicated like you humans? Tssk." Nayeon shakes her head in disbelief.

 

Mina breathes deeply before staring at the older girl. "But if I'll ask you, will you stay?" she asks genuinely.

 

"Yes, only because I am in love you. I am punished and I would say yes to everything you ask." there wasn't any hesitation in Nayeon's voice when she said that. "But Mina..." she trails off and reciprocates the stare Mina has been giving. "You shouldn't fall for me. I won't stay forever. I'll be gone once you're okay, I don't want you to be broken again." the way Nayeon says it is like the way Mina said that one ruler distance rule. The goddess said it seriously like it is some law that shouldn't be broken.

 

Mina's breathing hitched upon the realization. She automatically tilts her head back to the tv screen and tries to focus her attention on the movie that has been playing for minutes now. "Who said I'm falling for you anyway." she murmurs.

 

 

She hears Nayeon's chuckle. "You've been asking me those weird questions."

 

"I'm just worried because I'll be alone again." she honestly confessed.

 

"You have friends though. Don't think too much about it Mina. You haven't even moved on yet, I won't be gone right away."

 

Mina nods at her words, she wants to believe Nayeon but her heart says otherwise. She can feel it, it won't be too long until she fully forgets the pain from her past love. The thought of moving on didn't scare her like this before.