Chapter 2

My Step-brother’s Best Friend

Namjoon’s girlfriend left through the backdoor to dodge the awkward confrontation. And now, all that was left was the uncomfortable dinner, which seemed as fake as it sounded.

 

“So what grade are you in Namjoon?” Sora’s mom asked.

 

“Twelfth;” He abruptly replied.

 

“That’s nice! You’ll be seeing Sora at school!” Her mother replied.

 

“That’s great! You guys can go together!” Namjoon’s dad suggested.

 

Namjoon rolled his eyes and glared at Sora.

 

Why did he hate her so much? It’s not like she actually did anything to him. Or did she accidentally say something when she awkwardly asked where the bathroom was? Sora silently curses herself for already ruining her chances for a perfect family. She looks around and while her mother and Mr. Kim conversed, she looked at Namjoon, who was right in front of her. She eyed his movements, studying him while he literally scarfs down the food her mother made.

 

Tsk he’ll eat her food but he won’t be respectful. What kind of rudeass is he.

 

Sora didn’t notice since she was thinking, but she saw Namjoon staring at her with food stuffed down his mouth. She quickly looked away, gulping when she realized she was staring.

 

Great, now he probably thinks she’s obsessed with him.

 

The awkward dinner was quickly over; Sora was in her room, doing final organizational touches to her stuff, which wasn’t a lot.

 

“Hey,” A low voice suddenly sounded, causing Sora to almost drop the lamp she was holding in her hand.

 

“Be ready and downstairs by eight tomorrow morning. I’m not going to wait for you.” Namjoon was leaning against the doorframe.

 

Sora turned around and a look of disbelief was on her face. Who did this guy think he was?

 

“My dad is making me take you and obviously you don’t have a car.” He explained, seeming like it was okay to bring the attitude up to a 10.

 

“You know you don’t have to take me if you don’t have to, I can walk.” Sora turned around again, setting up her bedside table. She placed the lamp down next to the picture of her mom and she smiled.

 

“I don’t even want to take you, my dad is making me.” Namjoon scoffed.

 

“Yeah, well I would rather walk than go with you.”

 

Sora didn’t know where this sudden surge of aggressive replies came from, but honestly, she was okay with it because even though she had only been in the house for barely one night, she had it up to here with him. Not only that, but she wanted to dodge an awkward car ride.

 

“Listen, I don’t want to get in trouble, so just be ready, okay? Now go to sleep.” Namjoon replied.

 

Before Sora could say some snarky remark, he was gone. Well, this is just great! The first night here and Namjoon is already making it a ing nightmare. Sora quickly brushed her teeth and hopped in bed, scared for tomorrow, hoping she will blend and make new friends.

*****

Breakfast was equally, if not more awkward than dinner, but it was more due to the fact that Sora’s mom had to leave early for her new job.

 

“Alright, goodbye guys. Be nice, Namjoon.” Namjoon’s dad teased, grabbing his briefcase and leaving through the door.

 

God this is going to be interesting.

 

Sora thought.

*****

Now that Sora thought about it, she never has seen Namjoon smile; or maybe he did but not when her mother and her came to their house.

 

Sora looked at Namjoon from the corner of her eye, studying him yet again. She remembered when her mother was telling her about her new step-brother she was going to have. Sora didn’t necessarily jump for joy, but considering that she spent her whole childhood playing with ragdolls and her imaginary friends, she smiled on the inside. Now, Sora demoralized at the thought of her not getting close to Namjoon.

 

The worse thing was, she didn’t even know Namjoon. She only made assumptions about him, but whenever she even spoke one word to him, he seemed like he hated her with such a strong passion.

 

It’s him, not me. Maybe he’s just shy and doesn’t know how to act.

 

Sora decided to test out the theory with what she was thinking.

 

“Hey, what’s your favorite place in Seoul?” Sora abruptly spoke with a tint of enthusiasm.

 

Namjoon’s response was exactly what Sora expected.

 

An annoyed face paired with a raised eyebrow.

 

Great.

 

“I don’t know. I don’t have one.” Namjoon barely replied.

 

“Why don’t you like me?” Sora asked.

 

She, even herself, didn’t know where this confrontational side came from, but his response would depend on whether she would be content with it or not.

 

“Because all you want is my father’s money.”

*****

Saying Sora was pissed was an understatement. She didn’t look back at Namjoon after she got out of the car, slamming the door on the way out, and she had a feeling he didn’t look back either.

 

How could he say that to my face?

 

Sora definitely didn’t want to get close to Namjoon now.

 

She just wanted to forget everything.

 

I’m starting at a new school. Namjoon.

 

Sora quickly got her schedule from the nice lady at the front office and decided to get to class a little early.

 

Just walking through the school was so much better than her old one. The lockers were sleek gray and the tiles were polished. Sora felt like she could finally fit in with people that she will soon be friends with.

 

Out of the corner of Sora’s eye, she saw Namjoon and a girl, talking by what looked like her locker. She saw him laugh and he looked so nice.

 

“Hey isn’t that your new step-sister?” Sora faintly heard.

 

“Yea, her name is Sora, but don-”

 

“Sora!”

 

Sora whipped her head around and saw the girl that Namjoon was standing with vigorously waving.

 

Oh god.

 

Namjoon was behind her putting his hand across his neck, trying to relay the message of “do not come over”. If he didn’t do that, Sora wouldn’t have gone, but just to spite him, she did and very happily at that.

 

“Hi!” Sora replied as she came over to them.

 

“I heard you’re Namjoon’s new step-sister! I’m Hyeri, his girlfriend.” She introduced.

 

“Aww Namjoon didn’t tell me he had a girlfriend.” I looked at him

 

“Oh well he should’ve…” Hyeri side-eyed Namjoon, who gave a toothy smile.

 

“Well, I would love to get to know you, you should come to my party on friday! I’ll introduce you to some of my friends,” Hyeri took out her phone, “Here, put your number in.”

 

Hyeri gave Sora her phone and Sora inwardly smiled, knowing that she wasn’t alone on the first day. She quickly punched in her number and gave the phone back.

 

“Great! I’ll text you the address later. What’s your first class?” Hyeri asked.

 

“Oh shoot, I totally forgot about class.” Sora laughed, taking out her schedule, “I have English first, oh go-”

 

“I have english too!” Hyeri looked over at Sora’s schedule.

 

“Yup, same teacher too!” Hyeri enthusiastically linked her arm with Sora’s.

 

“Bye Namjoon!” Hyeri spun her heels, dragging Sora with her, leaving Namjoon with his mouth hanging wide open.

*****

Sora felt so good.

 

Namjoon’s girlfriend became her very first friend.

 

Oh god, the fury he must feel right about now is enticing to Sora. But one thing that Sora wondered was how can such a sweet girl be with someone like Namjoon. Sora looked over at Hyeri, who she was lucky enough to sit next to in English.

 

“Jeon Jungkook, you’re late, again.”

 

Sora’s thoughts were interrupted as she looked towards the door; her eyes came in contact with a leather covered, dark-haired boy, whose backpack was swung over his shoulder.

 

“Sorry, teach.” Jungkook walked pass Sora, throwing his backpack on the desk right behind her.

 

Sora flinched from the loud noise and Jungkook chuckled lowly.

 

Great, now I seem like a wimp.

 

Sora mentally cursed.

 

During the entire class period, being Sora’s first day, she tried to pay attention in class but the annoying sound of  loud chewing and obnoxious tapping took away from her attention, too much, in fact.

 

How did Hyeri even sit back here? She must have either bad hearing or a really a very high tolerance for annoying .

 

Then, Jungkook started tapping his foot on the back of Sora’s chair. And the worst part was, the sounds were only emitted towards the tables in the back, which was only Sora’s. No wonder no one ing sat back here.

 

Only 5 more minutes. Just 5 more minutes.

 

Whatever was coming out of the teacher’s mouth was blurred by the sounds that Jungkook produced. How could one even make that many noises?

 

Just 3 more ing minutes, come on Sora you can do it.

 

Sora closed her eyes and let out a sigh, silently praying that this madness out stop.

 

Then, this boy. Started. Singing.

 

And it wasn’t even good singing, it was like he was trying to annoy the out of her.

 

That was it. That was the most Sora could take.

 

With one swift movement, she turned around and said with annoyance dripping from every word, “Can you please shut the hell up? It’s annoying and I don’t want to hear your disgusting chewing.”

 

Everyone’s eyes shifted back to the back, and the voice of the teacher halted.

 

Oh my god, what the hell did I just do?

 

Jungkook stared at Sora as she did the same with as much annoyance.

 

Before anyone could say anything else, the bell rang.


I know y'all this is super slow but just bear with me!

This chapter is longer, too.

I like this length and I might even go longer. 

Please leave comments! Criticism appreciated!

Much love, Exoticelf1215