THE RECOVERY

MAKE ME REMEMBER
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s been a month. Tzuyu wasn’t able to wake up within the 24-Hours observation period. Since then, she’s been in a coma. Mina stayed there day and night. She didn’t care if her internship in the neurology department is going downhill. She promised to say with Tzuyu and there won’t be anything to stop her.

Tzuyu’s family requested for another bed in the room where Mina could sleep comfortably. Her friends also brought a bunch of clothes for her. Tzuyu’s parents would give her food to eat so that she doesn’t have to leave Tzuyu’s side. 

Mina is sitting on a chair beside Tzuyu’s bed. She has this daily routine that she would talk to Tzuyu as soon as she wake up. “Good morning beautiful!” Mina tried to sound as cheerful as she can. Although it’s really hard when you see your lover lying on a bed and hasn’t woke up for the past month.

“Is it Day 30 of your stay here? Aren’t you getting bored? I’m pretty sure you’re very bored. You have to wake up soon so that we can roam around and enjoy our marriage life. You’ve been losing a lot of weight too so you really need to wake up and eat. I’d promise to cook for you so we don’t have to eat take-outs all the time anymore. I’d be a good wife to you because I know you will be one too.”

Right then the door opened, it revealed Momo and Nayeon carrying flowers for Tzuyu. Momo took the liberty to remove the flowers they brought the other day with the new one. Nayeon sat beside Mina while Momo do all those.

“How’s she?” Nayeon ask. “The doctor said that I should just wait,” Mina sighed. “Is there a good news or something?” The Korean girl asked again. “Well, the oxygen in her head is starting to be regularize so that’s a good sign,” Mina replied.

“I hope she wakes up soon,” Momo sighed and stared at the Taiwanese girl. “Everyone does Momoring,” Nayeon agreed to her lover. They fell silent and sadness climbed to their hearts. Mina was the first to shrug it off.

“So when are you guys going back to Korea?”

~~~~~

A week had passed and there wasn’t any changes since Momo and Nayeon’s last visit. Tzuyu is still lying on the bed a bunch of apparatus attached to her to make sure everything is stable around her. Mina is still by her side, holding her hand firmly.

Mina is still waiting for at least one sign that Tzuyu will soon wake up. Just one movement from Tzuyu will surely give her some sense of relief. Just one.

That morning surely was the day that sign will be given to her.

Mina is holding Tzuyu’s hand and playing with its fingers and drawing some random shapes on the back of her hand when suddenly Tzuyu moved her pinky finger. It was a small action but Mina is sure it moved and she had to call the doctors.

She immediately pressed the red button beside Tzuyu’s bed and soon doctors came rushing in. Tzuyu is one important patient after all. Mina explained the situation to the doctor. He then took out a dim flashlight and pointed it to Tzuyu’s eyes.

The doctor then turned to Mina. “Congratulations miss, Ms. Chou is now reacting to light.”

Mina released a breath of relief and tears started falling. The doctor and nurse left them for their privacy. Mina held Tzuyu’s hand again and gently pressed it.

“Thank you Tzuyu-ah, thank you for giving me hope.”  

~~~~~

3 days passed slowly and Tzuyu is now showing more progress. Tzuyu’s mom was also staying there more than usual. She’s really hopeful to see her daughter wake up.

“Aren’t the hospital you’re working at going to look for you?” Mrs. Chou asked while peeling some oranges for them to snack on. “Uh, they would and they would also probably ask me to extend my stay at that department but it’s all worth it. I’m willing to do adjustments if it’s Tzuyu who’s involved in,” Mina replied bashfully.

“I’m really happy that my daughter chose you to be her lover for the rest of her life,” Mrs. Chou smiled. “I’m actually happier that she chose me. I’m nothing without my name but she gladly accepted me even before she knew my family background,” Mina smiled back.

Their small bonding was cut short when they heard some groan from Tzuyu. Mina immediately pressed the button while Tzuyu’s mom rushed to her daughter to hold her hand.

“Tzuyu-ah~ it’s your mommy…”

The doctor rushed in with two nurses following him. He his dim flashlight and gently pointed it towards Tzuyu’s eyes. Tzuyu didn’t just move her eyes but she also responded with a groan and her fingers were moving as if wanting to shade the light.

The doctor retrieved his flashlight and just then Tzuyu surprised everyone. Tzuyu finally opened her eyes completely and was able to have an eye contact with Mina. A few seconds later it trailed to her mother’s direction.

~~~~~

Tzuyu’s P.O.V

“She must also stay at the ICU for the 24-Hours observation period.”

“Tzuyu please wake up.”

“I hope she wakes up soon.”

“Thank you Tzuyu-ah, thank you for giving me hope.” 

“Tzuyu-ah~ it’s your mommy…”

A bright light is pointed on my eyes and I wanted to cover it but my hands won’t follow what my brain is telling it to do. After the light was gone I was able to open up my eyes properly and see the most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen.

Wait, what am I talking about? This can’t be, this isn’t right. My mother would kill me for having these kind of thoughts. Right, where is my mom? Where am I? Why would I be here?

I wanted to have answers but my eyes felt droopy.

~~~~~

“Just give her a day or two and she’d finally be able to be awake for a longer time. Her body is probably still adjusting,” the doctor advised Mina and Tzuyu’s mom after Tzuyu closed her eyes again and drifted back to sleep.

“Thank you Doc,” Mrs. Chou said.

“My baby is finally getting better,” Mrs. Chou said and held Tzuyu’s hand. Mina knew she should leave the two alone so she left quietly.

Mina walked around the hospital to get some sunlight after a month of just staying in Tzuyu’s room. She missed the sun and all the greens. Mina decided that it’s best to visit the hospital’s garden to get some fresh air and release all her stress.

She’s so happy that Tzuyu is finally going to wake up but what if the complications the doctor told them did apply to Tzuyu? What if Tzuyu really forgets about them?

She would be glad enough to bring back all those memories or better yet create new ones.

~~~~~

Tzuyu’s P.O.V

I opened my eyes and see the girl that I saw just a while ago. She’s sleeping, her head is placed over my bed and she looked uncomfortable in that position. Who is this girl anyway? Why would she be staying in this room? How could my mom allow a stranger to stay in my room?

Too many questions but I felt my eyes getting droopy again so I just head back to sleep. Sleeping is always the best option anyway.

~~~~~

The next day Mina woke up even before the sun could rise. Although she almost died from heart attack when Tzuyu is lying there wide awake. She’s staring at Mina and barely blinking. “Who are you?” Tzuyu asked with a questioning look. “What are you doing in my room?” Tzuyu asked again. Mina is too flustered to answer since she never saw this side of Tzuyu from before.

“I-I’m---“

Just then the door opened. It revealed Tzuyu’s friends, all with smiling faces. Mina realized that she told them yesterday about Tzuyu waking up. All of their friends then told them they will be flying over as soon as they can.

“Is it true?!” Dahyun barged in. Sana and the rest trailed behind her. Although her question is subtly answered when she realized that Tzuyu is there with her eyes open.

~~~~~

Tzuyu’s P.O.V

The sun isn’t up yet but my soul is wide awake. The girl from last night is still there. I couldn’t see her face since it’s buried in her arms. I saw little movement then her head tilted before she looked at my direction.

I then decided to ask her the question I wanted to ask since yesterday. “Who are you?” I asked. She was obviously flustered. A few seconds had passed before she decided to speak up and Dahyun barging in cut her words even before she could completely answer.

“Dubu?” I asked after she barged in shouting like a mad man. I only knew three from that group of people. There’s Nayeon, my childhood friend, and then there’s Dahyun and Chaeng who are my classmates in high school. I don’t know who the rest are.

“Tzuyu-ah you’re awake!” Nayeon gasped and headed to my direction. She held me in her arms and hugged me tightly. “We’ve waited for so long,” she mumbled softly. I wasn’t used to her being this affectionate to me since I clearly told her before that I don’t like it when she does skinship.

“What do you mean?” I asked instead since I didn’t understand what she’s talking about. “You don’t remember?” Nayeon asked. “You don’t remember about your surgery?” I shook my head.

“Your wedding?”

What wedding? I don’t even have a boyfriend so how could I get married? Is this some type of Chinese arranged-marriage my mom made me do? Why wasn’t I informed?

“Your bride? Mina?”

Bride!? What bride?! The last time I checked I’m 100% straight.

“Them?” She referred to the rest of the people in that group she’s with that I don’t recognize.

“, we should call the doctors Mina.” That hamster-looking girl said. She was too close to Dahyun and it is weirding me out.

~~~~~

A doctor came in after Mina pressed the red button for the third time since her whole stay there. He immediately ask question as soon as he faced Tzuyu.

“Do you remember your name?”

“Of course I do.”

“What is it then?”

“My name is Chou Tzuyu.”

“Do you remember your age?”

“Uh, yeah? I’m 16.”

“Hmmm,” the doctor hummed while scribbling something on his clipboard. “Why do you think you’re here?” The doctor asked again. Mina looked at Tzuyu and she saw that her wi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter