Dog Days of Summer

Dog Days of Summer

Jungkook-ah, send me some snaps of Soonshim. I miss her,” Taehyung says with a sorrowful sigh.


 

Jungkook pulls his phone from his ear to give it an incredulous look. “It's barely been two hours,” he says flatly. “You're still at the airport!”


 

At his feet, Soonshim's ears perk up and she her head in interest as she stares up at Jungkook. She's probably just trying to figure out why she can hear her master's voice but can't see him anywhere, but Jungkook prefers to think she's sharing his exasperation for Taehyung's antics. He gently scratches the top of her head. Her long, fluffy tail lifts in a slow wag.


 

So?” Taehyung's pout is practically audible. “I was away from her for the whole term and I only got to spend two days with her before we were cruelly separated again.


 

Jungkook rolls his eyes skywards as he sinks back into his sofa. “Just focus on all the fun you'll be having with your family later.”


 

But Soonshim is part of my family.


 

The words bring an unbidden tug to Jungkook's heartstrings. It's been so many years since his own rescue dog passed away, but he still says a prayer of remembrance on the 26th of June—and Jungkook only had Cloud for four years. Taehyung has had Soonshim for twelve—more than half of his entire life. Swallowing his guilt, Jungkook brings up his camera and takes a few photos and a short video to send to Taehyung.


 

“If you haven't eaten up your data allowance, you'll find some pics in your inbox.”


 

Thank you, Jungkookie,” Taehyung beams.


 

Soonshim jumps up on her hind legs and barks twice. In an instant, Jungkook is blinded by a bundle of white fur jumping onto his lap and sniffing at his phone.


 

Is that my baby I hear? Do you miss oppa? Oppa misses you too,” Taehyung coos.


 

Jungkook throws his head back in laughter.


 

Is Jungkookie-oppa taking you on lots of walks? Jungkook-ah, don't forget to take her out at least twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening. And try to detach yourself from your computer to take her out in the afternoon some days. She's used to being outside all day, she might get anxious if she's in your apartment for too long. But if it gets too hot, then—"


 

“Okay! Jeez, I get it,” Jungkook quickly cuts him off. He puts his phone on speaker and rests it on the coffee table for Soonshim's benefit. She jumps off Jungkook's lap and rests her head on the coffee table next to the phone. “Hyung, I've taken care of a dog before. That's why you left her with me in the first place.”


 

Taehyung hums. “You were actually my third choice.


 

Jungkook frowns. “Third?” he asks, scandalised.


 

Yeah,” Taehyung says with nonchalance. “Yoongi-hyung doesn't like bigger dogs and Jimin, of course, is away on that summer workshop. That left you.” Jungkook tongues the inside of his cheek. “Anyway, my flight is being called for boarding, so I have to go. Bye-bye, Soonshim,” Taehyung sings out in a raised voice.


 

Soonshim's tail drops once the call cuts to silence. She lets out a long whine as she noses at Jungkook's phone, nudging it to the edge of the table. Jungkook rescues it and puts it in his pocket before she can push it off the table. That just makes her whine even more, going up on her hind legs and pawing at the pocket of his jeans.


 

“Come on, girl, Taehyungie-hyung has a point. A nice long walk in the park would be good for you.” Jungkook gently ruffles her furry head and cheeks, being mindful of her whiskers.


 

Taehyung brought her crate in case Jungkook needed to take Soonshim on the train, but the park is only about a twenty minute walk from his apartment and the weather is great, so he just walks it. The extra workout will be good for Soonshim too, he thinks. The more tired she is, the easier it'll be for her to take a nap when they get back. Dogs and small children are similar that way.


 

At the park, Jungkook sees more people milling around he ever has on any of his jogs. The sight of all of them makes his skin itch with low-level annoyance, but he supposes that he can't really blame them. The weather is picture perfect: bright and sunny with clear blue skies, but with a coolness to the breeze that keeps one from getting overheated. It's unusually cool this late in the summer, but it's all the better for Soonshim who would otherwise be boiling in her thick white pelt. Quite a few other people are out with their dogs, walking around, throwing balls and sticks, or simply lying on the grass and watching the dogs run around.


 

Soonshim visibly perks up as she takes notice of all the potential playmates around her. Tail wagging in full force, she eagerly trots up to a pug sniffing the grass. She's not a big dog—not to Jungkook, anyway—but the pug is much smaller and jumps in fear at the sight of her, scampering away to hide behind its master's legs.


 

“Hodu-ya, don't be afraid,” the young woman laughs as she steps to the side. Her male companion picks up the pug and places him further forward. Seeing an opening, Soonshim approaches again, head lowered as she tries to sniff her new friend. Once again, the pug whines and runs away.


 

“Sorry, he's a little timid,” the woman laughs sheepishly while the young man shakes his head.


 

Soonshim looks up at Jungkook, pleading for an explanation. Jungkook leads her away, bowing slightly and throwing a mumbled apology over his shoulder. “That's alright, girl,” Jungkook murmurs as he rubs her ears. “There are plenty of other dogs here for you to play with.”


 

Within half an hour, Jungkook is forced to eat his words. If the other dogs aren't intimidated by Soonshim's larger size and excitable nature, then they're indifferent to her attempts at getting closer. The sight of her droopy tail and lowered head makes Jungkook's heart clench. To cheer her up, he tugs on her lead, encouraging her to run with him; she continues to trudge along at a slow pace, barely looking up.


 

Jungkook sighs guiltily. “I'm sorry, girl. Just one more week and you'll be back with Taehyung and your brothers and your neighbourhood friends.” Soonshim's ears twitch at the mention of her master, but she otherwise doesn't react. “I guess we should just go back. We can try again tomorrow though. There's got to be a—”


 

“Rapmon, come back!”


 

Jungkook blinks in shock when a smallish white dog comes streaking across the grass and crashes into his legs. He manages to keep his footing, but he stumbles into Soonshim, knocking her sideways. The other dog shakes its head and jumps up, pawing at Jungkook's legs before turning to sniff at Soonshim.


 

“Oh my God, I'm so sorry.” Jungkook blinks in surprise at the young man doubled over his knees, trying to catch his breath. “My dog can be a bit of a handful,” he smiles sheepishly, dimples appearing in his cheeks. His voice is rich and deep, like melted chocolate, and when he straightens up, he's quite tall—taller than Jungkook.


 

Jungkook opens his mouth to give some kind of verbal response, but he's distracted by how good the other man looks. Clad in a simple grey t-shirt and black shorts with a plaid shirt tied around his waist, he's not wearing anything particularly fancy or eye-catching. But the outfit looks like something a model might wear in a casual summer collection—possibly because the man wearing looks like a model himself, with his long legs and toned arms. Embarrassingly, Jungkook's heart flutters when he spots the Timberlands on the other man's feet.


 

“Um!” Jungkook jolts, suddenly realising that he's been zoned out and ogling the man for far longer than is socially acceptable. Luckily for him, the man is preoccupied with the dogs circling each other at their feet. “Uh, it's no problem. Actually, Soonshim has been lonely for a playmate,” he says, watching the way Soonshim's tail lifts at the smaller dog's attention.


 

“Oh, really?” The man tilts his head. He cautiously holds his hand to , letting her sniff and it before he gently scratches the top of her head. “Awww, but she's such a good girl.”


 

Soonshim snuffles happily and eagerly leans into the touch, nuzzling her head against the man's hand. The man chuckles fondly and begins to pet her with more gusto, rubbing the sides of her belly with both hands. Soonshim is all but vibrating with excitement. Not for the first time in his life, Jungkook wishes he could be a dog. Before he can pout too much, the smaller dog jumps up and nudges his legs again, whining for affection. Jungkook crouches down and happily obliges. The little dog furiously wags his fluffy little tail and jumps even more, tongue out as he tries to Jungkook's face. Giggling loudly, Jungkook all but falls on his he leans back and dodges.


 

“You little traitor.”


 

Jungkook stops laughing as he takes notice of the other man sulking before him.


 

“He's never like that with me, no matter what I try,” he explains. “But for a complete stranger...” He shakes his head mournfully. “I think dogs just don't like me.” The sadness in his voice makes Jungkook's stomach sink.


 

“Soonshim does,” he points out. That brings a half-smile to the other man's face at least.


 

“Yeah, I guess so.” He scratches her ears. “Sorry again for Rapmon crashing into you. He only seems to listen to my mother.”


 

Jungkook shakes his head. “It's fine, I love dogs. Besides, it's not like he could seriously hurt me,” he says with a laugh.


 

“Don't underestimate smaller dogs. They can be vicious.”


 

“I wrestled dogs his size when I was a baby and won,” Jungkook says proudly, belatedly realising that that might be a strange thing to boast about. Fortunately, the other man just laughs, his dimples making a reappearance.


 

“Anyway, I've still got to take this little bastard to an appointment at the vet.” He grabs Rapmon's lead and gives it a tug.


 

“You might be able to repair your relationship if you don't call him names,” Jungkook points out with a snort.


 

The other man hums doubtfully. It's almost comical to see how much Rapmon squirms away when it's time for him to go back to his master. Jungkook would laugh if not for the frustration and disappointment marring the other man's face. Jungkook bites his bottom lip.


 

“Hey, I'm not a dog trainer or anything, but maybe I could help you out?” Jungkook offers.


 

“Really?” The pure hope in the other man's eyes is almost too much.


 

“I could try.” Jungkook shrugs. “I'm going to be out walking Soonshim a lot this week, maybe we could meet up? It would be good for her too since Rapmon is the only dog who hasn't ignored her or run away from her today.”


 

“Why the not?” the man mutters to himself. “I'm Namjoon, by the way.”


 

“I'm Jungkook,” Jungkook grins, happy to finally know the man's name.


 

They exchange numbers and Namjoon heads off with Rapmon, all but dragging the little dog as he tries to run off again. Jungkook watches them go, his face warm and his heart thumping in his chest. He turns away only when Soonshim headbutts his stomach and whines. It's been a few hours since she ate or had any water, so Jungkook figures it's time for to have her lunch. He's back at his apartment, filling her water bowl, when his phone goes off in his pocket.


 

“Hey, I'm feeding Soonshim now,” Jungkook answers, expecting it to be Taehyung fussing again.


 

Uh, that's cool,” says a deep, familiar voice that incidentally does not belong to Taehyung.


 

“N–namjoon?” Jungkook jumps, his phone nearly slipping from its cradle between his ear and shoulder. “Hey, what's up?” he says, blotting the front of his shirt with paper towels.


 

Hey, look, I know I'm calling back quite soon but I just found out that I'll have tomorrow morning free. I know it's short notice, you might be doing something with your friends—


 

“No, not at all,” Jungkook speaks up, just stopping himself from telling Namjoon that he doesn't really have friends. “I'm dog-sitting for a fussy owner this week, so I'm basically free everyday.” Abandoning his quest to dry his shirt, he goes to fill Soonshim's food bowl with the premium dog food Taehyung left.


 

Oh, wow. I never would've thought she wasn't your dog. I've got to say, my hopes are a little bit higher now.


 

“Not too high, I hope,” Jungkook says nervously, almost regretting his stupid, impulsive offer. He's not a professional and he has no idea what the problem is. How the hell did he think he could fix it?


 

Namjoon chuckles, the low rumbling going straight to Jungkook's heart. “Don't worry about it. I'm really not expecting much. If Rapmon will let me pet him without trying to run away, I'll consider it a resounding success.


 

“Right. I'll see you tomorrow then. Is ten o'clock alright?”


 

Yeah, that's fine. See you then.


 

When the line cuts off, Jungkook releases the breath he's been holding. “Let's work well together,” he says seriously to Soonshim, rubbing her back. She doesn't even glance up from her food bowl.


 


 

~


 


 

“Jungkook-ah!” Namjoon calls out when he spots Jungkook and Soonshim.


 

Today, Namjoon has traded his Timberlands for a black and white pair of Converse trainers, but he's still wearing shorts and his shirt is low-cut enough to give generous glimpses of the bronze skin of his chest, so Jungkook still counts the outfit as a win.


 

“Namjoon, hey,” Jungkook calls back, a contented sigh on his lips.


 

Rapmon leaps forward so suddenly, his lead slips out of Namjoon's hand. Once again, small paws nudge his kneecaps. It's a good thing it hasn't rained since last week, or else Jungkook would have to be doing laundry a lot more often. Namjoon gets a wistful look in his eye as he watches them. The quiet disappointment upsets Jungkook so much more than the loud admonishments.


 

“Oh, I just realised—I think I can guess, but we probably should've confirmed this yesterday. How old are you?” Jungkook asks.


 

“I'm twenty-four and in my final year of university.”


 

“Ah, the gap is even bigger than I thought,” Jungkook says with a sheepish smile. “I'm twenty-one and I've just started university. All this time I've been calling you 'Namjoon, Namjoon', like we're the same age...” He rubs the back of his neck.


 

Namjoon laughs and waves his hand dismissively. “I've lived abroad, so I'm not as strict about that as other people.”


 

“Really?” Jungkook gasps. He's heard of people doing that, but until now has never actually known anyone smart enough or rich enough. “Where and for how long?”


 

Namjoon laughs even harder, leaning forward as he runs his hand through his hair. “I was in New Zealand and you shouldn't look so impressed; it wasn't really long at all, only a few months. It hardly even disrupted my academic placing here.”


 

“I look impressed because it is impressive,” Jungkook insists. “The furthest I've gone from home was coming here to Seoul.” He shrugs.


 

“That's impressive in its own way. You're going to be here for far longer than I was abroad and you don't have your family with you. I still had my mother and sister in New Zealand.”


 

“I guess so,” Jungkook frowns, “but you had to spend those three months adapting to your new surroundings in a foreign language. Even if some of the people here in Seoul act like I'm not speaking Korean, I don't actually have that problem,” he says with a roll of his eyes.


 

Namjoon pouts and opens his mouth when he's cut off by loud barking coming from behind him. He turns, Jungkook following suit. The both of them gape in shock when they find their charges jumping at the foot of a tree, yapping at a squirrel nonchalantly hopping on a high branch.


 

“Oh , when did they...” Namjoon looks down at his empty hand, opening and closing as if to make Rapmon's lead appear.


 

Jungkook grimaces, thinking of how Taehyung would react if he knew Jungkook had abandoned his precious girl to chat with some handsome stranger. “Soonshim!” She stops barking but doesn't move from the tree. “Come! Come.” He snaps his fingers. “Come.” She looks over twice before she finally steps away from the tree and sits down by Jungkook's feet. “Good girl,” he coos, petting her head. In his peripheral vision he sees Namjoon gaping at him like he just teleported to the tree and brought her back. “What?”


 

“How did you do that?”


 

Jungkook frowns and tilts his head. “How would you call Rapmon?”


 

Namjoon takes a deep breath. “Hey, Rapmon, come! I said come. Come! Rapmon, come here now! Now! Get over here! Come!” he shouts at the top of his voice. Rapmon gives up on the squirrel, but he wanders further away from Namjoon without a backwards glance. Namjoon sighs dejectedly.


 

“Okay, I think I know what you're doing wrong,” Jungkook says carefully. No matter how friendly they are with him, neither Jimin nor Taehyung would take too kindly to statement like that. And Jungkook would sooner fight a bear than say that to Yoongi.


 

To his surprise, Namjoon simply blinks and asks, “Really? What's that?” with earnest curiosity.


 

Jungkook relaxes slightly. “There are two definite problems and one possible one. First off, you're muddling the command by repeating it and mixing in other words when he doesn't come. Get his attention by calling him name and then just stick to the word. A hand sign is also a useful tool.” He snaps his fingers in demonstration. Soonshim sits up straighter. Jungkook pets her head in apology for startling her.


 

Namjoon nods intently, pulling out his phone and typing out notes.


 

Jungkook falters slightly at the sight before he continues. “Um, uh, so yeah, the next thing is that he's learned to ignore you since you just give up when he doesn't listen. It's an annoyance rather than an order.”


 

“I see,” Namjoon mutters, his brows furrowed. “And what about the other possibility?”


 

As upset as he must be to hear that he's failing dog training 101, his eyes shine as he absorbs each new piece of information Jungkook bestows. It makes Jungkook wish he really were an expert so he could spout facts at Namjoon all day.


 

“Uh, I don't know how you're with him at home, but it's possible you simply haven't practised the command enough.”


“Can I try it now?” Namjoon asks, looking to Jungkook for permission.


 

“Um, yeah?” Jungkook blinks in surprise. “He probably won't come though. Because of all the distractions around him,” he quickly adds when Namjoon's expression gets clouded. “Dogs can have really short attention spans. You're better off trying it multiple times at home when it's quiet first.”


 

“That makes sense.” Namjoon nods. “I'm not home very much because of school and my part time job, but I'll definitely make some time for it. Thank you, by the way,” he says, his voice thick and heavy with gratitude. “I really should buy you a coffee or something.”


 

“It's really no problem. Like I said before, I'm no expert, just a guy who really likes dogs,” Jungkook says with a self-depreciating laugh that's a bit too high-pitched. Soonshim gives him an odd look, but Namjoon thankfully doesn't notice. “Besides, you've given me some human company—and canine company for Soonshim.” Human company was the last thing Jungkook was looking for on these outings, but that's besides the point.


 

Namjoon smiles; the sight warms Jungkook even more than the sun beating down on their heads. “I have to insist.” He glances at his watch. “I should have enough time to take you out and drop Rapmon back home before I have to head to work.”


 

Jungkook flushes at the older man's choice of words. “Okay, sure.”


 

“Great,” Namjoon grins. “There's a dog cafe not too far from here that I've been meaning to visit.” He jogs after Rapmon, who is now lazing in the shade of a tall tree. He stops short and looks over his shoulder at Jungkook. “Is there a particular way I should get him up?”


 

Jungkook shrugs helplessly, hoping he doesn't look as anxious as he feels.


 

“Right, right, not an expert, sorry,” Namjoon nods. He doesn't even try to rouse Rapmon; he simply picks the small dog up, carrying him in his arms. “You're getting heavier. Have you been sneaking treats?” he murmurs.


 

“It's not that I mind you asking, don't get me wrong,” Jungkook says nervously as he follows Namjoon's lead, Soonshim trotting beside him.


 

“Yeah, no, I get it. You just seem so knowledgeable that I can't help myself and ask,” Namjoon chuckles. “What are you studying, if you don't mind me asking?”


 

“A mix of things.” Jungkook shrugs. “I know what I don't want to do, but I don't really know what I want to do.”


 

“I understand. It took me several years and a several arguments with my mother before I finally figured it out,” Namjoon says with a sympathetic wince.


 

“What are you studying now?”


 

“Literature and Finance.”


 

Jungkook blinks.


 

“I know, kind of contradictory, right?”


 

Jungkook shakes his head. “It means you're really smart and good at different things. You're great.”


 

“Thank you,” Namjoon says with a bashful smile, ducking his head slightly as he looks away.


 

Jungkook swallows. For a man who is so tall and handsome and charismatic, Namjoon is also...cute. It shouldn't be so surprising—after all, Jungkook is friends with Taehyung—but it is. Taehyung's cuteness comes from his free-spirited approach to life and his child-like enthusiasm for his passions; it brings out Jungkook's own inner child and bridges the between them. Namjoon's cuteness makes his heart rate quicken—makes him want to lean forward on tiptoe and press their lips together. He clears his throat, tearing his gaze away as he shakes his head.


 

Rapmon stirs in Namjoon's arms, weakly at first but with increasing franticness until Namjoon is forced to let him down.


 

“Try to keep him at your side rather than running ahead. Shorten the lead if you have to,” Jungkooks says, glad for the distraction.


 

“Right, okay.” Namjoon nods.


 

It's a bit of a struggle, Namjoon has to stop walking several times to reinforce the message, Jungkook stopping along with him. Soonshim is an easygoing dog, but even she becomes visibly annoyed at the constant disruption of the walk. Eventually, Namjoon manages to get Rapmon to trudge beside him, aided by the fact that the little dog is still a bit sleepy.


 

“See?” Jungkook grins up Namjoon. Namjoon's responding smile is considerably more unsure. Still, they make it to the dog cafe without further incident.


 

The first thing that hits Jungkook is the smell. He's had a dog before, so he's fairly used to their various smells. Twelve dogs in a closed space is quite another experience. He glances at Namjoon to confirm that he's not the only one suffering. There are tears in the older man's eyes and Jungkook strongly doubts that he's that touched at Rapmon successfully following a command. But Soonshim looks happier than he's seen her since Taehyung last called, so Jungkook it up and orders an iced coffee and a bag of treats. Namjoon doubles the order, pulling out his wallet to pay. Soonshim and Rapmon are already busy playing around with the other dogs and cosying up to the other patrons, so the two of them sit down at a table with their drinks.


 

“Um, I'm really sorry about the smell,” Namjoon mutters quietly as he watches a Labrador retriever puppy crouch and pee on the floor next to a neighbouring table. To the staff's credit, they're quick to clean it up.


 

“It's okay,” Jungkook chuckles even as he alternates breathing through his nose and his mouth. He can't quite decide which is worse: the pungent smell burning his nose or the acrid taste sitting on his tongue. He gestures with his head. “The kids are having fun.”


 

Soonshim has got her head resting on a strange woman's lap while Rapmon cautiously approaches a man who's offering him a treat. He takes the treat, but dodges the man's outstretched hand when he tries to pet him.


 

“Ha! So, it's not just me.” Namjoon enthusiastically slaps the table, shaking their drinks.


 

Jungkook snorts, taking a sip of his drink. “Try feeding some treats to one of the more outgoing dogs here as practice.”


 

Namjoon moves to open the bag, but accidentally rips the whole thing open, sending treats spilling out onto the tabletop and the floor. Jungkook nearly chokes. As he coughs to clear his throat, he points to the sudden influx of furry friends crowding their table. A few of the smaller ones go as far as jumping up onto their laps to reach the treats sitting on the table. Shame still sits plainly on Namjoon's face, but he takes the opportunity to get in a cuddle and some petting. Most of the dogs leave once the treats have been gobbled up, but a few hang around, their eyes pleading for more. Jungkook obliges, opening his own bag and giving half to Namjoon. By the time those are doled out, Jungkook realises that he's stopped noticing the smell.


 

“But he's so fluffy!”


 

Jungkook's ears prick at the sound of a child's whining. One of Taehyung's many instructions was to keep a keen eye and ear out for dognappers—of all ages. Sure enough, a little boy has his arms around an uncomfortable looking Soonshim.


 

“Minhyuk, this dog has a collar. That means it belongs to someone else.” The boy's father is trying to talk the child down, to no avail.


 

“But–but I want him.” He tightens his grip on Soonshim.


 

Jungkook turns to intervene, but Namjoon beats him to the punch.


 

“Soonshim, come! Come,” he calls out over the din of the cafe, snapping his fingers. Soonshim all but leaps forward, nearly sending the stubborn little boy crashing to the ground as he stumbles forward with her. “Good girl,” Namjoon smiles, feeding her one of the last remaining treats.


 

It's nothing Jungkook himself hasn't done—or seen Taehyung do a hundred times—but his body thrills and quivers in turn at the unquestionable authority and the gentleness in Namjoon's voice. He has to give the front of his jeans a discreet pat to make sure he's able to leave the booth.


 

“I can't believe that really worked,” Namjoon beams as they step outside. “I thought she would only listen to a command from you—or her real owner, I guess—but she actually came to me.”


 

He's so excited, he's actually bouncing up and down. Jungkook can't help but throw his head back and laugh at the sight. As childish as Taehyung—and Yoongi, surprisingly—can sometimes be, even he isn't usually this exuberant about it.


 

“I've really enjoyed your company, Jungkook, so much so that I've overstayed and now I'm running a bit late,” Namjoon says with a glance at his watch. “I wish I didn't have to run off now, but my manager will tear my ears off if I come in late after getting the morning off.”


 

“No, no, go, don't be late.”


 

Jungkook is disappointed to watch him go, more so because he left without giving any time frame for when they could next meet. This time it's Soonshim's turn to try to cheer him up as he trudges back to his apartment. It's hard not to smile at her his hands and rubbing her body against his legs. He manages one that's almost completely genuine by the time they're five minutes from their destination. At home, Jungkook sends out feeler texts to Jimin and Taehyung (Yoongi he knows not to bother with). He gets an automatic response from Jimin and a 'talk l8er' from Taehyung. Sighing, Jungkook boots up his computer and pulls on his headphones. When in doubt, Overwatch.


 


 

~


 


 

“Hyung, how do you know if you're feeling lonely because you actually are lonely of if you're just making yourself feel that way because it's what you think you should feel due to the circumstances?” Jungkook sighs at the ceiling.


 

...What?” Taehyung has never sounded so confused. “Jungkook, what the hell are you talking about?


 

Jungkook sighs and rolls onto his stomach. “I haven't seen my family since Seollal. It's the summer holidays and I should be with them, like you are, but hyung hasn't been discharged yet and my mother is Daegu looking after her sick father. I should be upset that I probably won't able to see them until Chuseok, but I'm not? Like, I miss them, but it's not tearing me apart or anything,” he says lowly, almost afraid to says such a thing to a man who is so attached to his own family. Jungkook pauses, half-expecting Taehyung to chastise him, but he just hums non-committally.


 

I'm listening,” Taehyung says.


 

Jungkook slowly releases the breath he was holding and flips back onto his back. “Aside from you and Jimin and Yoongi-hyung, I don't really have friends. If our parents weren't old schoolmates, I probably wouldn't have anybody but my brother. I'm on good terms with my classmates, but we don't talk outside of school.” He shrugs. “That's never really bothered me because I never felt like I needed anyone other than the three of you.”


 

I have to admit, I'm tempted to coo and tease you,” Taehyung cuts in. “It's not often you get this sentimental.


 

“Hyung,” Jungkook groans.


I know, I know,” Taehyung says wistfully. “Go on, finish your point.


 

Jungkook frowns at the ceiling for a moment as he tries to trap the thoughts and feelings buzzing around in his mind. It's always been difficult for him to open up and spill his emotions to other people, even the handful of people that he's close to. Taehyung knows this, and thankfully doesn't push and prod Jungkook when the silence on the line stretches on. Even so, Jungkook stews in frustration at himself. He's the one who called Taehyung and he can't even just come out and say why he's been moodily sighing and ruffling his hair and picking at his cuticles since he returned from an uneventful walk with Soonshim for the third day in a row.


 

Taheyung hums to break the silence. “Jungkook, did I ever tell you how much of a great listener Soonshim is?


 

“What?” Now it's Jungkook's turn to be confused.


 

Yeah, it's one of the things about her I miss when I'm at school. I remember when I was studying for the entrance exam and I would go out into the backyard and hug her when I was feeling stressed and overwhelmed. It's embarrassing to admit, but there are so many nights when she would just my tears off my face while I cried.


 

Jungkook feels for his pillow and pulls it over his face.


 

That's the best thing about dogs, Jungkook: they don't judge. Do you want to talk to Soonshim about this?


 

Jungkook grunts an affirmative, this throat too thick to get words out.


 

Alright. We'll talk later.


 

Jungkook doesn't go immediately. He spends a few more minutes with his face crushed under his pillow, trying to compose himself. When he finally gets himself up and leaves his room, he finds Soonshim rolling around on the cool tiles of the kitchen floor. She stops when he drops into a crouch in front of her. She rolls onto her stomach and sits up, her head tilted in curiosity. After a few seconds of staring at him, she gets up and steps closer to Jungkook, her tail tucked and her head bowed. She whines as she rubs her head against Jungkook's neck.


 

“Sorry,” he mutters as the first tears roll down his face. “I don't even know why I'm like this. I only met him twice, and it's not like he stood me up or anything,” he sniffs. The sound makes Soonshim pull away and the tears on his face. Her tongue is warm and wet and rough, and Jungkook finds himself laughing at the sensation. “It's been a while since I let a dog my face, I forgot how ticklish it is,” he chuckles.


 

Encouraged, Soonshim turns her tongue to the other side of his face. He has to stop her when she tries to the mucous dripping from his nose. “No, stop, that's a bit too weird,” he laughs, moving his head and straightening to his feet. He heads over to the cupboard to get a couple of paper towels, Soonshim trailing at his heels. She follows him out of the kitchen and into the living room, crowding his lap when he throws himself onto the sofa.


 

“Thank you,” he whispers, leaning down to give her a hug. Slight shivers run down his spine when her wet nose nudges his neck. “I still feel stupid for getting so upset about this,” he says, shaking his head at himself, “but thanks for not judging me. I've really missed having a dog,” he quietly admits with a sigh.


 

The week has gone by so quickly, he can't believe it's only three more days until Taehyung comes back to collect Soonshim. It's not like he'll never get to play with her again, but this is probably the last time he'll be fully responsible for a dog until he graduates and gets a good enough job to support one.


 

“Come on, girl. Let's go for a run.” Soonshim's ears perk up at the words and she dashes towards the front door, barking when Jungkook doesn't follow. He throws his head back in a laugh. “Let me go change first,” he giggles, gesturing to his tight jeans. Soonshim snorts.


 

For her sake, Jungkook quickly changes into and old white t-shirt and his running shorts. When they get outside, she turns in the direction of their usual park; Jungkook redirects her.


 

“Let's just go around the neighbourhood,” he tells her. She easily assents.


 

It's late in the afternoon, so the sun isn't too high in the sky, but it still doesn't take long before Jungkook can feel the sweat beading on his skin. Beside him, Soonshim doesn't seem to be too affected by the heat, but he glances at her every few minutes to make sure. They go all around the neighbourhood, passing children squealing in playgrounds, middle aged women with shopping bags, and old men playing baduk. As they're running down a steep hill near the university Jungkook attends, he notices Soonshim flagging. He slows them to a stop outside the convenience store at the foot of the hill.


 

“Good girl, you're a great running partner—the best I've had.” He rubs her head. “Have some water,” he says. He pauses when he realises that she can't just drink from the bottle he brought along. “Oh...” As she pants heavily, her tongue lolling out, Jungkook tries to curl and contort his left hand into a suitable makeshift drinking vessel.


 

“Jungkook-ah?”


 

He jumps as if struck by lightning.


 

“Ah, it is you,” Namjoon smiles. “I thought I recognised Soonshim.” He scratches under her chin. She whines loudly. “Oh, sorry,” Namjoon winces, pulling back his hand like she bit him.


 

“It's only because she's thirsty,” Jungkook is quick to reassure him. “We've been running and I brought water, but forgot that she needs something to drink from.” He gives the bottle a little shake.


 

“Oh.” Namjoon blinks, looking somewhat relieved. He crouches down next to Jungkook, resting his shopping bag on the ground beside him before he cups his hands. “Go ahead.”


 

“Hyung?” Jungkook breathes, blinking in surprise.


 

Namjoon an eyebrow at him. “Hurry up,” he says, gesturing to Soonshim with his head.


 

Slightly dazed, Jungkook uncaps the bottle and tips the water into Namjoon's cupped hands. Soonshim is lapping it up in a flash. A good quarter of the water ends up splashing onto the pavement—and Namjoon's legs and trainers, Jungkook notes with chagrin—in her excitement to drink. He has to feel the water (and drool, probably) splashing on him, but Namjoon takes it in stride, giggling as Soonshim's tongue laps at his hands. Jungkook relaxes and lets himself smile.


 

“Thank you,” he says when the bottle is empty.


 

Namjoon shrugs his shoulders good-naturedly. “No problem. Honestly, you've kind of made my whole day,” he says with a self-conscious laugh.


 

Jungkook feels himself flush. He wants to say something cool, like an actor in a film or a drama, but all he can manage is a mumbled, “Oh, really?”


 

Namjoon nods, ruffling Soonshim's fur. “Dogs have the mystical power to heal emotional wounds.”


 

“Yeah, they really do. Wait, did something happen to you?” Jungkook asks when he catches the meaning in Namjoon's words.


 

Namjoon's lips curl in a half-hearted half-smile. “Nothing that I shouldn't have seen coming,” he says wistfully, his gaze fixed on Soonshim. She tilts her head, her brows furrowed. Namjoon shakes his head and rises to his feet. “You're clearly in the middle of something. I should—”


 

“Do you want to talk to her?” Jungkook blurts out.


 

“Huh?” Namjoon blinks.


 

“She–she's very empathetic and is really good at comforting you when you've got a problem. And I think it's my turn to buy you a drink,” Jungkook mumbles shyly, scratching the hair at the nape of his neck.


 

Namjoon stares at him blankly for a moment. It takes all of Jungkook's courage not to retract the offer in the ensuing silence.


 

“Are you sure? I feel like I'd be imposing,” Namjoon finally says, his doubt expressed with a little head twist.


 

“No, not at all.” Jungkook shakes his head. “I wouldn't mind and I...I just realised that I don't have any money on on me,” he reluctantly admits as he pats his pockets. .


 

Namjoon doubles over laughing. Soonshim jumps at the noise but settles down when she sees that he's not crying. Even if it at Jungkook's own expense, it's a relief to see Namjoon pulled out of that horrible mood.


 

“I really want to treat you though,” Jungook pouts.


 

“Some other time, then.” Namjoon shrugs. His laughter peters off, but a smile remains on his face.


 

Jungkook returns the smile. “Some time this week?” He bites his bottom lip. “Soonshim's owner takes her back to Daegu on Saturday.”


 

“Oh, already?” Namjoon blinks. “That's a shame,” he murmurs, bowing to scratch behind her ears. Soonshim turns her head to sniff at his hands.


 

“Yeah,” Jungkook sighs. “It's been nice having a dog around after so many years.”


 

“Well, if you—I mean...” Namjoon trails off, biting his lip.


 

“What is it?”


 

Namjoon does the little head twist again before he continues. “I was just thinking that you could hang out with Rapmon if you ever wanted to enjoy company of a dog.”


 

Jungkook in a breath. “Really?” He blinks. “But I don't even know you,” he says without thinking.


 

“So get to know me,” Namjoon chuckles, shrugging causally as he buries his hands in his pockets.


 

If Jungkook didn't know before, this would be the moment he did. With five syllables and a killer smile, Namjoon has reached inside Jungkook's chest and grasped his still beating heart in his hands.


 

“Yeah, sure,” Jungkook breathes.


 

Namjoon grins. “I'd invite you out tonight, but I don't know anywhere that's dog-friendly.”


 

For the first time all week, Jungkook wishes Taehyung would hurry back for his dog. “Saturday, then?”


 

“Sure, why not?” Namjoon laughs. “How about dinner?”


 

Jungkook grins brightly. Namjoon soon gets a text that has him departing, giving his apologies. Jungkook waves him off, already mentally going through his wardrobe to figure out a suitable outfit for Saturday. When Namjoon is out of sight, Jungkook gives Soonshim's fur a hearty ruffle.


 

“Good job, girl. We did it.”


 

Soonshim goes up on her hind legs, opening in a smile. Jungkook rewards her with a belly rub.


 


 

~


 


 

The remaining three days whirl by at a crawl. Taehyung's appearance at Jungkook's door simultaneously feels premature and long overdue. He'll miss Soonshim—he really will, she's such a good dog—but her departure also signals his first date(?) with Namjoon.


 

“Thanks for keeping me company this week. Don't forget me before I can go visit you in Daegu,” he murmurs into her fur as he gives her one last goodbye cuddle. She wiggles and wriggles in his arms, still too excited to see Taehyung after their week-long separation. “Alright, alright,” Jungkook chuckles, releasing her and letting her bound over to his friend standing by the door with a bag of her things.


 

“Kookie, I'm so tired, I can't believe I still have a two hour train journey until I can collapse in my bed,” Taehyung groans. He goes crashing into the door with a loud thud when Soonshim excitedly jumps up on him. He moans in pain, but drops into a crouch and lets her attack his face with dog kisses. “Yes, I've missed you too, baby girl,” he coos. “”Did Jungkookie-oppa take good care of you?”


 

“Of course I did. Are you sure you don't need me to walk you to the train station?” Taehyung hardly looks like he can make it to lifts unaided.


 

Taehyung nods. “I called a taxi.”


 

That gives Jungkook enough peace of mind to kick the older man out so he can devote his full attention to his imminent date. Taehyung squints his eyes in a way that signals suspicion, but he leaves without further fuss, Soonshim in tow. With that, Jungkook finds himself alone for the first time in a week. Although Soonshim wasn't prone to barking, the apartment is eerily silent without the sound of her panting or her whining or her footsteps. It'll be another few days until Jimin returns from his workshop, but until then, Jungkook has Namjoon's company to look forward to.


 

Jungkook isn't the sort of person who empties his entire wardrobe onto his bed when planning an outfit, yet that's exactly what he finds himself doing after he finishes showering. Mentally, he blames Jimin, who he's watched go through this very same ritual at least a dozen times. Only, Jungkook doesn't have an indifferent friend he can ask to vet every outfit choice he comes up with. Jimin is probably still busy and Taehyung would probably hang up on him.


 

Whatever. As much as he wants to impress Namjoon in the same way the older man's outfits has made an impression on him, Jungkook falls back on his classic all black everything look. It's absolutely the wrong weather for it, but they're going to be sitting in an air conditioned restaurant anyway, and the heat has never stopped him before. Outfit on, he scrutinises himself in his floor length mirror. After a minute of deliberation, he switches the studs in his ears for a pair of silver hoops and pulls on a long silver chain with a silver feather pendant. Another minute of consideration and he swaps his watch for a gunmetal black bracelet. He nods in appreciation at the mirror as he twists and turns his body. Good to go.


 

His phone tells him that he's not quite late, not just yet, but he walks a little faster than normal as he heads to the restaurant. He's not late, so the sight of Namjoon lingering in front of the restaurant sends a jolt of panic through him that makes him jog the rest of the distance.


 

“I hope you weren't waiting too—.”


 

For all of their previous meetings, Namjoon has always been simply and casually dressed, but his figure and the way he carried himself elevated what he was wearing. If the man looked great in t-shirts and shorts, then he looks downright phenomenal now in a cream coloured v-neck that's tucked into tapered black trousers and covered in a black blazer. An array of rings gleam under the street lights as he waves at Jungkook in greeting. Even his hair is different; it's actually visible, styled up and off his forehead instead of being covered under a hat or beanie. All in all, he looks like a three course meal and Jungkook is starving.


 

“Jungkook-ah? Is everything alright?”


 

Jungkook shakes himself out of his daze. “Yeah, I'm fine. You–you look amazing.” He can't stop himself from giving the older man one last look over.


 

Namjoon flushes, covering his mouth with his hands. “I'm stupidly overdressed, aren't I?” He winces, dropping his hands. “I knew it. I always end up at one extreme or another.”


 

“Not at all.” Jungkook shakes his head vehemently. “It's just right. And we kind of match,” he points out, gesturing to their black clothing.


 

“Like a couple,” Namjoon smiles softly, his right dimple making an appearance.


 

Somehow, by some miracle, Jungkook manages to keep breathing. “Yeah, like that,” he says quietly.


 

“I'm sorry, I think I'm reading this right, but I want to make sure before I make a fool of myself. You are attracted to me and this is a date, right?”


 

Jungkook's mouth falls open. No matter how much he wanted confirmation of the same, he would never have come out and just asked—at least not to Namjoon's face; he might've plucked up the courage in a text. All at once, Namjoon has doubled in stature in Jungkook's eyes.


 

“Right, sorry. I guess I got my wires crossed,” Namjoon says to the ground with a half-hearted chuckle. “I'll just...” Even so it takes a second for his words to penetrate the insulation of Jungkook's shock and awe.


 

“What? No!” He darts forward and grabs Namjoon's forearm to stop him from leaving. “I really like you!” he blurts out far too loudly. In his peripheral vision, he sees a pair of high school aged girls hold each other and sigh; a third pulls out her phone. Jungkook flushes but he blocks them out and focuses on Namjoon. “I've been calling this a date to myself for three days,” he mumbles shyly.


 

Namjoon blinds him with a brilliant smile, his eyes shining and his skin glowing in the ambient light. “I'm glad to hear that.” He gently pats the hand Jungkook still has on his arm. Jungkook lets it drop, but Namjoon catches it and keeps their hands linked. “Come on,” he nods at the restaurant, “I'm hungry and eager to learn more about you.”


 

Jungkook gives Namjoon's hand a squeeze and swings their joined hands with a grin. “Me too.”


 

“You're not just trying to get access to my dog?”


 

“That too.”


 

Namjoon bumps their shoulders.