♥ Of Kindness & Love

All ChanSoo (drabbles & fic fest works)

https://pm1.narvii.com/5777/bfd7048c24baaab9ba8b5321d8d10b8946c108c8_hq.jpg

 

Requested by my dear Mira. ♥

 

 

 

 

The paper bag ripped with a loud sound and as the carton of eggs that was inside it crashed to the ground, Kyungsoo let out a loud whiny cry. "Oh please, no."

He watched as some of the egg white and yolk dripped out of the broken carton and sighed at the mess it was making. Clutching at he ripped bag, he was about to sunk to his knees but someone putting a hand on his shoulder stopped him.

Turning his head he was greeted by his neighbors smiling face. "Let me do it," the man said and knelt down, reaching for the eggs carton.

"Oh no, you don't need to," Soo gasped as his neighbor fumbled a tissue out of his pocket to wipe up the mess.

"Ah, it's okay. Don't worry."

Kyungsoo flushed a little, muttering a shy "Thank you," as he watched the tall man taking care of the mess.

His neighbor had helped him before, carrying a bag for him or holding the door open and it flustered the young expecting that the man was so attentive and nice to him. All other neighbors were talking behind his back, commenting on how young he was to have a baby and coming up with the weirdest rumors of why he would be alone.

By now Kyungsoo was used to the mean looks and comments but he still wasn't used to his neighbor being so nice.

"There, all done," the man smiled as all the mess was cleaned up. He brought the broken egg carton and some other groceries that had fallen down up with him. "Let me help you bring it up."

"T-thank y-you," Soo mumbled. bowing his head a little as he followed the taller over to the elevator.

"We've met a few times before but I never got the chance to introduce myself," the neighbor said as the doors of the elevator closed. "I'm Chanyeol."

"I'm Kyungsoo."

"Nice to meet you Kyungsoo. Since when do you live here?" Chanyeol asked. "I mean, I live here for almost two years and you showed up all of the sudden."

"Ah yeah," Soo nodded. "Uhm, I moved here three months ago."

"You live alone right? I mean, until now," the tall man added with a chuckle, gazing at Kyungsoo's baby bump. "Isn't the apartment a little too big for you?"

"Uhm, yeah, maybe a little," Kyungsoo nodded. The apartment was really way too big for him. It had a total of four bedrooms of which one was used as storeache and one was still completely empty. Kyungsoo still had no idea for what he should use the rooms.

"For what do you use all the rooms?" Chanyeol asked.

"Uh, one is empty and one is occupied by some boxes and stuff."

"Ah, same with me," the tall man hummed, nodding his head a little. "I didn't really think of what I was getting myself into when I bought this apartment," he chuckled.

"Oh, I didn't know you're living alone."

"Yeah, it's just me and some dust bunnies."

The comment had Kyungsoo giggling. He stepped out of the elevator when it opened its doors and stepped towards his apartment, followed by Chanyeol. "It's hard to keep it all clean, huh?"

"I'm sure it's even harder for you," the man said and watched as Kyungsoo unlocked the door to his apartment.

Kyungsoo hummed a little, toeing off his shoes. "It is but it has to be done anyways."

The taller nodded his head at the words and followed the pregnant to the kitchen, carefully dropping the groceries he was holding onto the kitchen counter. "Oh no, your suit got dirty," Kyungsoo gasped and Yeol smiled at the small stain of egg yolk on his sleeve.

"Ah, don't worry about it," he waved the smaller off. "It's okay."

As Kyungsoo reached for the egg carton to throw it away, Chanyeol gazed around the open living and dining area. "It's still quite empty, huh?"

"It'll be this empty for a while. I don't have money to buy any furniture."

"Oh, I see."

Kyungsoo smiled as the man ducked his head a little in apology. "Would you like to have a tea? I mean, only if you have time of course."

"Sure," Chanyeol smiled. "Thank you."

"I have to thank you," Soo said as he reached for the kettle. "You've helped me a lot in the past weeks."

"Well, I wouldn't call what I did help but you're welcome."

"It was help to me," Kyungsoo smiled. "You know, the other neighbors are not that nice to me."

The tall man sighed at the words. "Yeah, I already figured that. There are some weird rumors going around."

"Which one do you like the best? The one of me having a sugar daddy or the one of me having an affair with a wealthy man who tries to keep me secret?"

Chanyeol scowled a little. "I don't like neither of them. People shouldn't come up with some crazy only because someone seems to be a little different from them."

A soft smile formed onto Kyungsoo's lip. He reached into the shopping bag and pulled out a package of tea. "So, you're not curious about me? The young pregnant that showed up all of the sudden in an area that is obviously not his standard?"

"I'd lie if I would say no but why should I start some rumors only to get answers for the questions I have. I could simply ask you."

"So, do you want to know?"

"Yes, I'd like to know," the man nodded. "You don't have to tell me, though."

"I appreciate that," Kyungsoo said, gifting the taller a smile. "But I don't have a problem with telling you." He dropped a couple of teabags into two cups and rested against the counter as he waited for the water in the kettle to boil. "I don't have a sugar daddy nor an affair with some well-known married guy, my father brought me this apartment. He's not quite happy with the circumstances I'm in but he felt pressured to help me out. I never ask for any help but I'd be stupid to not take help, not when I actually need it."

Chanyeol nodded along, humming a little. "So your father help you financially?" He asked, frowning only a second later. "Wait, no. You said you don't have money for furniture. How do you maintain yourself? Do you get money from somewhere?"

"I give piano lessons at a nearby school," Kyungsoo answered. "It's not bringing me the biggest money but it's enough to buy food and to put away a little amount as savings."

"Can't you apply for welfare benefit?"

"I wish I could but I can't. I can't because my father would be able to care for me financially."

"Hold on," Chanyeol said, lifting his hand. "Does it mean you're not of age yet?"

"No, I'm nineteen."

"Oh," the tall man voiced out, raising his brows.

"Shocked?" Kyungsoo chuckled.

"What? No, well, maybe a little. I thought you'd be at least 21."

"Well, not yet."

"But you being not of age yet also means you won't get any child benefit because your parents would be involved in it."

Kyungsoo nodded. "Yes. How do you know?"

"I'm a lawyer," Chanyeol said. "Well, not yet, officially. I still have a couple of months to go."

"Oh cool," Soo said, just as the kettle signaled that the water was boiled. He reached for it and poured the hot water into their cups. "So how old are you then? 26?"

"Do I look that old already?" Chanyeol gasped, cupping his face with his hands.

"What? No yo-I just," Soo stuttered, a little embarrassed that he obviously made Chanyeol older than he actually was. "I just thought, uh, studies take a while and you live here, I mean, you said you bought the apartment and uh, I'm sorry."

"No need to be sorry," Chanyeol laughed. "I'm 23," he then said. "I was able to attend law school quite early and I've always been interested in the stock market. I invested in some shares a couple of years ago and to my luck I then had the chance to sell it for some good money."

"Must have been very good money," Soo commented.

"It was, yes," Chanyeol nodded. "Otherwise I'd still live in my small, shabby, one room apartment."

"If you're done with your studies what will be printed on your business card?" Kyungsoo curiously asked, taking seat on one of the bar stools.

"Park Chanyeol, specialist family lawyer."

"Family law?"

The man nodded. "Yeah."

"May I asked why family law?"

"My mother left my father and us when I was ten. My dad struggled a lot to get my sister and me through the years. He didn't get any help and my mother did not have to pay a single penny of child support. When I decided to become a lawyer I chose this field in order to fight for all the single parents out there who are struggling just like my own father did. "

Kyungsoo nodded his head. "Wow, very praiseworthy."

"Thank you," Chanyeol smiled. "If you ever need help, I live across the hall."

Kyungsoo laughed out at the comment. "Thanks but I hope I'll never have to ask for that kind of help."

"That sounds as if everything is settled in your case, good."

"Nothing is settled in my case," Soo mumbled, huffing a little. "I guess I'm the prime example for young and dumb with a messed up future."

"Am I allowed to ask why?"

Leaning back, the pregnant huffed again. "Like I said, young and dumb. The other half who's responsible for this literally fled when I told him. I've got no idea where he is. My father says that's what I get for ing with people I didn't know properly."

Chanyeol scrunched his face at the comment. "Well, it may didn't turn out the way you wanted it to but your father shouldn't have used such a choice of words. You're his son after all."

"Well, he never wanted to ha-ah."

Chanyeol jumped up in shock when Kyungsoo leaned forwards and grabbed his belly."A-are you okay?" He asked with panic in his voice.

"Ah, yeah," the younger breathed out. "Sometimes when he kicks out he hits my in ribs. It really hurts."

The law student let out a relieved sigh and sat back down. "He? So you know it's a boy?"

Kyungsoo nodded, rubbing his round belly in circles. "I figured that uni clothes are often more expensive then -specific clothes, so I wanted to know the gender as soon as possible. Didn't help me much, though. I have nothing for him except a couple of bottles and a handful of rompers. I really lack everything."

"That's not good," Chanyeol mumbled. "What about a bed or a crib?"

"Like I said, I lack everything."

"W-won't your father help you? Or your mother?"

"My mom died when I was fifteen and father gives a about me. He bought me this apartment, gave me the keys and left. I don't even have his phone number, he changed it three months ago. That's how much he loves me."

"I don't know him but I have the urge to punch him," Chanyeol uttered, clenching his jaw. "That's disgusting."

Kyungsoo shrugged. "Well, I can't change it."

"Maybe I can."

"E-excuse me?"

"Yeah," Chanyeol nodded. "Let me help you."

"Y-you want to help me? How? And even more important why? You don't even know me."

"Well, that's true but-" The man paused. "I don't know to be honest, I just feel like helping you. Let me give you money for all the things you need for the baby."

Kyungsoo's eyes widened. "Oh no, no, no."

"Then let me say it differently. Let me lend you money. You can pay me back whenever you can."

"That would take years," Soo joked.

"Then that's just how it is," the older said. "Come on, say yes. Please. After what I've heard now, I won't be able to sleep anymore. Come on, please. Say yes."

Chewing on his lower lip, Kyungsoo looked at the man. "Do you have a helper syndrome or something?"

"Maybe?"

"O-okay, let's pretend I would say yes. A baby freaking expensive, I really need everything and I don't have a job. It really would take me years to pay that off."

"That's okay, really."

Breathing in, the pregnant held this breath for a second. "C-can I hug you?"

"What?"

"Can I hug you?"

"Yeah, sure," Chanyeol said, already raising up from the stool he sat on. "Is that a yes?" He asked as he embraced the smaller pregnant.

"Yes."


 




 

Kyungsoo still couldn't believe that his neighbor really would help him out financially and when he woke up the next day he thought that he had only dreamed it but when Chanyeol knocked onto his front door, it eventually sunk it that it was reality.

As he opened the door he found the law student dressed in simple blue jeans and a black hoodie. On his nose sat a pair of thick framed glasses and the hair that was perfectly styled the day before was rolled into a messy quiff. "Wow," Soo brought out as he let Chanyeol in. "You don't look like the person I had sitting in my kitchen yesterday."

He wasn't lying though. Chanyeol looked like a completely different person, much younger without his fitted suit.

"I hear that a lot," Yeol laughed. "Do I really look that different?"

"Like day and night."

"Oh, okay. So, which do you like better?"

"This one," Kyungsoo honestly said. "This casual style fits you well."

"Thanks," the taller grinned, stuffing his hands into the pockets of his jeans. "So, are you ready to go?"

"I am."

"Good, then let's go."

Kyungsoo didn't know what kind of car he had expected Chanyeol would drive but as they walked towards the outsized german SUV his jaw dropped. "What the is this?"

"My car?"

"This is not a car, this is a tank."

"Whatever it is, it has four wheels and bring us to the next baby market. Hop in."

Kyungsoo looked around the giant car as he reached for the seatbelt. "We look like a couple of teenagers who have stolen Daddy's car."

Chanyeol chuckled at the comment and started the engine. He drove them to a large baby market a little outside the city and found a empty parking space close to the building. He grabbed one of the shopping carts that stood by the entrance and pushed it through the automatic doors. "Alright," he said. "Where do we start?"

Kyungsoo reached into the pocket of his jacket and fumbled out a piece of paper. He had made a list with everything he needed and sighed at how much it was. "I have no idea."

Chanyeol hummed. "Well, then let's asked this nice looking lady over there."

The taller had sprinted towards the elderly woman before Kyungsoo could even see her. With the list in his hand he followed Chanyeol, who was already asking for help. "Oh sure, no problem," the lady smiled but as her eyes fell onto Kyungsoo's baby bump the smile faded and she gasped. "Oh, you two are more than late, aren't you?"

Kyungsoo flushed, not because she mistook him and Chanyeol for a couple but because she was right. "M-maybe a little."

"A little is good," she laughed. "What have you done in the past months, watching your belly growing? When is due date?"

"I-in about two weeks."

Chanyeol's already big eyes widened behind the glasses of his visual aids. His mouth fell open but no sound escaped him. He was probably just as shocked as shop assistant.

"W-well," the woman said. "Then let's start, shall we?"

They followed her through the entire shop, working off Kyungsoo's detailed list and the more the big shopping cart filled, the more the pregnant cringed. Some of the stuff was really expensive and he was already sure that it would take decades for him to pay Chanyeol back. The tall law student didn't seem to mind the prices though and happily humming added things Kyungsoo wasn't sure he really needed.

"I think we can stick to the simple ones," he said as Chanyeol threw a package of dummies into the card.

"But why? Those are cute, look at them," Chanyeol said, pointing at the cartoon print.

"Yeah, and because their cute they are double the price and we don't gold, so put them back." As Kyungsoo took the pack back from where Chanyeol had gotten them, the taller pouted.

The shop assistant chuckled. "You two are really cute but I guess your sweetheart is right," she smiled and looked at Chanyeol. "A baby is expensive."

"Yeah, and he's not even born," Soo added. "The thought of buying diapers alone gives me gray hairs."

"Oh, speaking of diapers," the lady gasped as she seemed to remember something. "For every item over 50$ there's a pack of diapers for free."

Chanyeol's ears perked up. "Does it mean we get two packs if we buy an item over 100$? Because you see, if you g-" "Chanyeol," Kyungsoo cut in when he noticed the shop assistants insecure facial expression. "Please."

"No," the man said, raising his hand. "I'd like to know. Is there someone around who's responsible for that? A manager maybe?"

"Uh yeah, sure. I'll get him. Just wait here, okay."

"Thank you."

"Do you have to do that?" Kyungsoo whispered as the woman walked off to get the shop's manager. "This is a little embarrassing."

"Embarrassing or not, if we buy bed for 200$ we should get four packs of diapers. I'll not leaving this shop without getting what's legally ours."

"Damn your lawyer ."

"You'll thank me for it later. You said it yourself, diapers are expensive."

Kyungsoo badly wanted to counter but he couldn't, Chanyeol was right. Still, he was embarrassed and hoped that Chanyeol wouldn't cause a scene.

Fortunately the shop manager wasn't really competent or he maybe was just scared by Chanyeol's tall appearance but he talked a lot of crazy stuff that didn't make any sense and in the end he agreed that they would get a pack of diapers for every item over 50$, two for an item over 100$ and so on.

Chanyeol had a proud grin on his face as the manager hurried away, disappearing behind a large, bottle shaped sales standee.

"Wow," the shop assistant uttered. "I've never seen him so helpless before. Normally he's a pea counter."

"Well," Kyungsoo sighed. "I bet all the diaper packs we get on that he's never had to face an overgrown law student before."

The woman laughed out. "For sure not. Well done," she praised Chanyeol.

Chanyeol gave a proud nod and leaned over the handle of the shopping cart to take a look at Kyungsoo's list. "Only big stuff left now, huh?"

"Yes," Soo nodded as he read the couple of things that were left.

The lady gazed at the list as well. "Any wishes for what's left?"

"Yes," the pregnant said. "I don't want a cradle, I want a bed that I can repurpose."

"Ah, so a bed that grows with the baby."

"Yes. Same goes for the pram. I'd like it to have a carrycot function and I'd like it to be able to transform into a stroller for later."

The lady nodded her head as she listened to the young expecting.

"I want one of those changing table dressers. Preferably in white, same goes for the bed."

"I assume you want us to deliver the furniture?"

"No," Chanyeol said. "The car is big enough for all this. We take all of it home today."

Kyungsoo had no doubt that all of what they bought would fit in the tank Chanyeol called a car and he also wasn't surprised that there was still space left after Chanyeol had heaved all the heavy card boxes and stuffed bags inside.

Arrived at their apartment building Kyungsoo felt bad for not being able to help Chanyeol unpacking the car but the man waved him off with a sweet smile and said that it would be nothing.

They met a couple of neighbors and Kyungsoo rolled his eyes at them when they started to whisper as they passed by Chanyeol's car. He grabbed two of the diaper packs and made his way to the elevator.

"Much more left?" Chanyeol asked as he stepped out of the elevator and his eyes fell onto the diapers in Kyungsoo's hands.

"Only the pram."

"Good."

"I'll wait here," Soo said, reaching for the button that kept the doors of the elevator from closing. The large glas front of the entrance of the building gave Kyungsoo a clear on Chanyeol as the tall man unloaded the pram and closed the trunk. "Prepare to be used as my personal pram pusher," Kyungsoo laughed as the man walked towards him. Never before he thought that someone could look good pushing a pram but Chanyeol surprisingly did. "This suits you."

Chanyeol only laughed at the comment and pushed the pram into the elevator. "Shall we order something to eat?" He asked, leaning against the wall behind him. "I'm starving."

"Ah, I can cook something," Kyungsoo said.

"It's on me," Yeol smiled. "Plus, I'm sure you're exhausted from all the walking. Sit back and unpack the bags in peace while we wait for the food. Are you up for Pizza?"

"You can't take a no, huh?"

"No," the man grinned, pushing himself off the wall as the elevator signaled that it had reached their floor.

Chanyeol immediately pulled his phone out of his pocket and called a delivery service. "Anything you don't like or don't want?"

Kyungsoo shook his head. "Just make sure they leave off any kind of onions."

"Any extra topping?"

"Double the cheese?"

"Oh I like you more and more," Chanyeol hummed, telling the person on the other end of the line then that they should leave off onions but put on extra cheese. "Alright, pizza will be there in around twenty minutes."

Kyungsoo nodded at the information.

"Are you allergic to onions or do they cause some weird side effects?" The student wanted to know and pointed at the round of Kyungsoo's belly.

Soo let out a huff. "Side effects you don't want to know about."

"Carrying a little human around is not easy, huh?"

"It would be easier with the pain in back, the swollen feet and some other weird stuff wouldn't come along," the younger said. "Have you ever tried sleeping with a watermelon tucked under your shirt? Try it, it's horror."

Chanyeol pressed his lips into a thin line.

"But feeling the kicks and seeing it moving on the screen of the sonography is great though." Kyungsoo smiled. He leaned forwards and reached for one of the shopping bags. "And this is kinda nice, too. It makes it even mo-what the is this?"

Whistling, Chanyeol turned away as Kyungsoo stared at the pack of dummies he had pulled out of the bag.

"Chanyeol!"

"What?"

"I said n-how did you?" Kyungsoo couldn't believe that he didn't notice the taller sneaking the pacifiers back into the shopping cart. He glared at Chanyeol as he reached into the bag again. "Please tell me that's the o-"

"Isn't it cute?"

"It i-" Kyungsoo paused as he looked at the  tiny dark blue hoodie in his hands. It had a happy strawberry pattern on the left side and Soo couldn't help but smile at the cute print. "Yeah, it is cute," he eventually said. "Nevertheless it's money we could've saved. You know I don't have money."

As Kyungsoo folded the little cloth, Chanyeol pursed his lips into pout. "Before you continue," he mumbled, immediately drawing the pregnants attention. "There might be a couple more things in this bag you don't know about."

"What? How? When? Chanyeol!" The last word left Kyungsoo with a whine.

"I couldn't resist," the student said. "See it as gifts."

"Of how much more stuff are we talking here?"

Chanyeol shrugged. He had really no idea. He had sneaked a lot of things into the cart and totally had lost count. "I don't know."

"I shouldn't have gone to the toilet," Kyungsoo uttered, eyeing the man.

"I'm glad you did."

"Wipe that grin off!"

Kyungsoo couldn't believe how much stuff Chanyeol was able to buy behind his back but he also couldn't deny that most of the stuff was incredibly cute. There was a cute gray tracksuit as well as black sneakers and the red snapback had Kyungsoo squealing.

Chanyeol was visibly pleased with the reactions he gave, yet Kyungsoo wanted to punch that stupidly adorable grin off the man's face. He was sure that all the stuff Chanyeol wanted him to accept as gifts must've been expensive. At least in their total.

"Why did you buy this?"

Chanyeol hummed as Kyungsoo flipped open a baby diary. "I don't know, I had the feeling as if you'd like to have one but wouldn't buy it because you'd save the money it costs for something else."

"It frightens me how good you know me for the fact that we basically know each other since yesterday."

The tall man chuckled, getting up from the floor as someone rang the doorbell. "Call it intuition."

While Chanyeol answered the door and paid the delivery man, Kyungsoo went to get them some napkins and something to drink. They enjoyed the pizza sitting on the floor with their backs leaning against the couch.

"I have no idea how to thank you. Really, you saved my ."

"You know," Chanyeol some sauce off his lips. "When you told the lady at the store that due date is in two weeks I thought my jaw would meet the ground. Two weeks? Like really?"

"Yeah, exactly two week if he's punctual."

"How wo-I don't even know what to say. You had nothing."

"And without you I still would have nothing," Kyungsoo nodded. "I owe you more than just the money for all this stuff. I mean, you seem to trust me without even knowing me."

"That's true, I don't know you but I have the feeling that I can trust you. And if you try to run away without paying me back, I'll find you and sue you."

Chanyeol's eyes curved as he flashed him a cheeky smile and Kyungsoo shook his head a little. He couldn't believe how lucky was to have met Chanyeol.



 




 

Chanyeol sighed and reached out to press the red button as Kyungsoo didn't answer his call. He gazed at his wrist watch, reading the time. It was only seven in the evening and he was sure that Kyungsoo wasn't asleep yet. "Maybe he's not feeling well," he mumbled to himself.

A couple of days had passed since they had seen each other the last time. The day after their trip to the baby market, Chanyeol built up the furniture they had bought and helped Kyungsoo washing and drying the clothes for the younger's baby. It took them the whole Sunday to do that and since it was his day off, they also spent the Monday together.

Tuesday and Wednesday Chanyeol was too caught up with his studies and work to check up on his pregnant neighbor but since Thursdays weren't that busy and he came home early he wanted to give Kyungsoo a call, asking how he was. Kyungsoo had called him once but he had no time to answer it in that moment.

Scratching the back of his head, Chanyeol thought if he should go over to the younger's apartment and only a brief moment later he stood in front of his door, knocking. "Kyungsoo? Are you home? It's me."

His phone vibrating in the pocket of his pants had Chanyeol removing his hand from the younger's front door. He let out a surprised sound as he saw that it was Kyungsoo who was calling him. "Hey," he greeted as he answered the call. "I'm standing in front of your door right now. Aren't you home?"

"No, I'm not," the younger said, sounding tired. "Say, could you pick me up?"

"Sure, from where?"

"From the hospital."

"Hospital," Yeol gasped. "Is everything alri-oh my god," he breathed out when he heard the cry of a baby in the background. "He's born?"

"Yeah, he came yesterday."

"Yesterday? And then you're already allowed to leave?" Chanyeol had already made his way back to his apartment to grab his car keys. "Shouldn't you stay at the hospital a little longer?"

"He's healthy and I'm okay, we can leave. Plus, the hospital bill is already killing me. So, can you come as soon as possible?"

"Sure," Yeol said. "I'll be right there."

Kyungsoo was already waiting for him in the corridor of the maternity ward as Chanyeol walked through the door and smiled at him softly. He looked tired and held a little bundle in his arms, rocking it gently. "Hey, thanks for picking me up."

"You're more than welcome," Chanyeol smiled, eyes falling onto the baby. "God, he's tiny."

"Here, hold him for a second. I need to go to the toilet before we leave."

Chanyeol's heart skipped a beat as he adjusted the infant in his arms. Kyungsoo's baby was so small and light he was afraid he could break the little boy. "Hello," he whispered as the boy made a soft sound. "Nice to meet you."

He carefully sat down, touching the baby's tiny hand with his finger. "I'm Chanyeol and who are you?"

"Baekhyun."

Kyungsoo's voice had Chanyeol looked away from the baby. "Suits him," he smiled. "He's beautiful."

"Thank you."

"Shall we go then?"

"Yes, please."

Kyungsoo doze off on their way home, holding the also sleeping boy in his arms and Chanyeol tired to drive as careful as possible not to make the car shake or sway in any way to wake them up. It worked and Kyungsoo didn't even notice that Chanyeol stopped at a drive-thru to get them something to eat. Only at home when Chanyeol gently shook his shoulder, he blinked his eyes open.

"Something smells good," he mumbled, yawning.

"I got us some burgers and fries," Yeol said.

Kyungsoo hummed, closing his eyes for a moment before he reached out to unbuckle the seatbelt. He inhaled the fresh spring air and closed the car door. Chanyeol had already fetched his bag from the backseat and swung it over his shoulder as walked towards the apartment building.

"Would you look after him for a minute. I'd like to take a shower before we eat."

"Sure," Yeol smiled.

Kyungsoo laid the sleeping infant down on the couch and Chanyeol sat down next to him, looking at him as the younger left the living room to take shower. He had seen a lot of babies in his life but Chanyeol wasn't sure if he had ever seen such a delicate one before. He had the feeling he could fit the tiny human into his hand without problems.

"Ohho, no," he tensed when the baby let out a choked cry. "Please, don't cry."

Picking the baby up, Chanyeol rocked him. "Shh," he hushed him, standing up as the boy cried out louder. He hurried to the bathroom, knocking on the door. "Kyungsoo?"

The water was running but stopped when he knocked onto the door again. "Yes?" Came from the inside.

"Uh, he crying," Yeol said. "I don't know what to do."

"Ah, wait, I'll be right there."

"Oh, no, it's okay, take your time. Just tell me what to do."

"He's probably hungry. Can you prepare a bottle for him? Formula and bottles are in the cabinet next to the fridge. Instructions are on the box."

"O-okay."

Skipping to the kitchen, Chanyeol prepared the bottle for the boy. As his arm got a little tired from the position it was in, he turned the boy around so he was laying with his belly down on his arm. The infant's head fit perfectly into his palm and Chanyeol smiled when the boy let out a sigh.

He was so caught up preparing the bottle that he didn't notice that Baekhyun had stopped crying. "Oh, okay."

"Okay, what?"

Kyungsoo's figure showed up and Chanyeol took a moment to answer as he let his eyes wander up and down the younger's body. Kyungsoo had slipped into an oversized shirt that was exposing his collarbones. "Uh, I prepared his bottle but he fell back asleep."

Kyungsoo tilted his head as he looked at his newborn. "He's comfy," he smiled. "Did you hold him like this all the time?"

"Ah, no, I switched him to this because my arms was getting tired."

"Well, maybe was just uncomfortable and you found a position he likes."

"O-okay, then I'll just hold him like this for a little longer," Yeol uttered, feeling a little proud that he made the baby happy. "Uhm, what's with the bottle?"

"Just leave it there," Soo said. "I'll warm it up when he wakes up again. Want to eat now?"

Nodding, Chanyeol followed the younger to the living room area. "I was not sure what you like so I bought a lot of stuff," he said as Kyungsoo reached for the brown paper bag.

"Ah, I'm not picky. Oh, no onions?"

"Yeah, you probably don't have these unwanted side effects anymore but I had in mind."

A cute laugh left Kyungsoo as he unpacked the cheeseburger. "Very attentive, thank you."

"I'm truly surprised that he's already here."

"Ask me," Soo hummed while chewing his food. "I panicked a little. I tried to call you but you didn't pick up."

"I was in a meeting," Chanyeol said. "And since you didn't call again I thought it wasn't important."

"I had no time to call again. I called a cab, literally yelling at the driver to come here fast. We barely made it to the hospital."

"Wow," Yeol mumbled, gazing at the napping infant. "Who would have guessed."

"Not me," Soo huffed. "I felt that something was off, he was restless and kicking a lot but since we had some more time to go I didn't think that I would go into labor any time soon. He's truly a drama queen."

Chanyeol snorted at the words. "Why? Only because he wanted to come earlier than expected?"

"No," the younger shook his head. "It started with him not wanting us to take a look at him. It took four check-ups until the doctor could tell me his gender. Oh and then there was this time when he had managed to wrap the court around his wrist and was tugging at it. I had to do the weirdest to get him moving so the cord would slip off his hand. I looked like pregnant gorilla hopping around the room. And that my doctor was doing it with me didn't make it any better."

Trying to bite back a laugh, Chanyeol pressed his lips into a thin line.

"Yeah, don't dare to laugh," Kyungsoo said. "This was the most embarrassing thing ever."

"Well, now you have plenty of chances to embarrass him for all the things he's put you through."

"Oh yeah, believe me, I'll save that for his teenage years. I'll embarrass him to the bones in front of his friends."

While eating, enjoying the rather unhealthy food they told each other stories from the times their own parents embarrassed them and it was quite funny to hear that teenagers obviously get embarrassed by almost the exact same things.

Chanyeol stayed until late night, watching Kyungsoo feeding, washing and putting the little boy to sleep. And as he finally made it to his own apartment he couldn't help the feeling of emptiness that crawled up inside him.

Sighing the young law student sat down on his bed and rubbed his face with both hands. If people would know that he had managed to fall in love with the younger in such a short span of time, they probably would call him crazy but Chanyeol couldn't care less. Kyungsoo made his heart race and knees weak and Chanyeol liked that feeling. And yet this feeling came with a little bitter aftertaste.

Kyungsoo obviously saw him as nothing more than a friend and this knowledge made Chanyeol anxious. Kyungsoo was adorable, he was to fall for and he was afraid that Kyungsoo could meet someone, someone he would fall for. He knew that he could simply tell Kyungsoo that he was in love with him but he didn't want to risk losing the younger and their friendship by confessing to him.

Whining Chanyeol let himself fall into his pillows. "I'll just wait," he mumbled to himself. "Maybe he'll fall for me, too."


 



 

Months passed and much to Chanyeol's distress Kyungsoo showed no sign of affection towards him. Chanyeol paid good attention to the youngers behavior but Kyungsoo didn't act differently around him, didn't show any sign that signaled that he had fallen in love with Chanyeol.

They spent much time together but nothing had changed between them. The only thing that had changed was baby Baekhyun. The boy had grown magnificently, put on a good amount of weight that had his cheeks getting chubby and he was probably the most happiest baby Chanyeol had ever met.

Baekhyun was rarely crying, beaming and laughing most of the time and Chanyeol loved the little with all his heart. "Baekhyunnie," the boy let out laugh as Chanyeol waved his plush toy at him and the little, yellow duck made a squeaky sound.

Kyungsoo shook his head at the scene of Chanyeol rolling around the floor in front of his baby and giggled to himself. It was a hot summer day and Chanyeol had suggested to take him and Baekhyun to the swimming pool so the boy could make his very first contact with water outside his bathtub and so Kyungsoo packed a bag for their trip, stuffing all necessary baby stuff as well as a container full of cut watermelon and a bottle of cold water. "Alright, ready to go."

Chanyeol scooped the baby up, adjusting him in his arms. "You hear that, Baek? We're going to the swimming pool, now."

Kyungsoo laughed out as his son let out a high pitched squeal, as if he wanted to answer Chanyeol.

The swimming pool was well visited, yet they found a quiet place in the shadow of a big tree. Chanyeol unpacked the bag, spreading out a blanket they brought as Kyungsoo undressed the baby, changing him into a colorful swimming diaper and a little blue shirt so his skin was protected from the sun.

Chanyeol already had changed at home and was wearing his swimming shorts under his regular pants. He wiggled himself out of the navy blue shorts and threw his shirt aside, more than ready to jump into the wet blue.

"Ah, uh, do you already want to go to the pool with him?" Kyungsoo asked. "I'll go and change, then."

"Oh, okay, sure," Yeol nodded, bending down to pick the boy up. "Alright, let's go, Hyunnie."

Literally hopping over to the pool, Chanyeol walked down the stairs into the non swimmer pool. Baekhyun gasped a little as the water touched his feet but soon started to kick his legs in joy. Since the water ended a few inches above his belly button, Chanyeol bent his knees to give the baby more access to the water.

Once Baekhyun had fully gotten used to the temperature of the pool, he wrapped his fingers around the boy's torso and lowered him more. Squealing the baby wiggled, hitting into the water to make it splash.

"Aw, someone's having fun, huh?"

Chanyeol turned his head to where the voice was coming from and was greeted by the smile of an elderly lady. "Ah, yes," he said, returning the smile. "It's his first time, today."

"He's such cutie."

"Ah, I just wanted to say the same."

Out of nowhere Chanyeol suddenly was surrounded by a group of women of all ages. Questions such as "How old is he?" and comments like "He's so adorable," were thrown at him and he was glad when Baekhyun suddenly started to whine a little and he could escape the mob.

He found Kyungsoo sitting on the edge of the pool and went over to him. "Wow, you're popular," the younger snickered.

"Why didn't come?" Yeol whined. "That was scary."

"Scary?" Kyungsoo laughed. "If my son is such a lady magnet I should lend him to you more often, huh?"

Chanyeol's face fell a little. "Ah, yeah," he smiled but Kyungsoo could tell that the smile for forced.

"Uh, did I say something wrong?"

"N-no," Yeol shook his head but it was obviously a lie. "Uh, shall we go the children's pool and let him play with the toys?"

"O-okay."

Kyungsoo could tell that his comment wasn't much to Chanyeol's like and he felt bad for it. He wanted to apologize but he could sense that it wasn't the right time and decided to to it once they were back home.

They spent a couple of hours at the pool and Baekhyun had a lot of fun, playing in the water. He was more fond of the big pool and quickly lost interest in the colorful toys in the kids pool, whined and cried until Chanyeol and Kyungsoo brought him back to the non swimmer pool.

As the baby exhausted from all the splashing in the water got tired and eventually fell asleep as they made a little break, Kyungsoo decide it was time to go home. Chanyeol carried the bag for him as Kyungsoo held his son in his arms, laying him down on his patted play blankie once they were home.

"I'll go then, I have some work to do," Chanyeol said after he had dropped the bag next to the couch.

"Ah, don't you want to stay for dinner?"

"Uh, no. I really have some work to do."

"It's because of what I've said at the pool, right?" Kyungsoo pursed his lips into a pout. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to."

Chanyeol looked at him for a while, not saying a word. "Why did you say that?" He then asked, breaking the silence again.

"I d-don't know, it was meant to be a joke. I mean, I know that you're single and uh, I-" the younger paused, breathing in as he tried to find the right words. "You spend so much time with me and Baek, helping me, I'm sure because of this you don't have much time meeting someone."

As Chanyeol broke into a smile, Kyungsoo frowned in confusion. "I met someone," Yeol said.

"Oh," Kyungsoo voiced out. He felt a sting in his heart, yet tried to smile. "T-that's nice."

"Oh god, I should've done this way earlier," the law student laughed in whisper, shaking his head.

"Done what?" Kyungsoo carefully asked.

"Telling you that I'm in love with you."

Kyungsoo's eye widened and his heart skipped a beat.

"Did you really think that I spent all my free time with you because I had nothing else to do? Hell no, I spent it with you because I wanted to," Chanyeol shook his head again, running as hand through his hair. "I don't know when I fell for you. Probably the day I offered to help you, I really don't know. All I know is that I'm head over heels for you and I'm ing afraid that you meet someone you'd fall for."

"W-why?"

"Why I didn't tell you earlier?" Chanyeol asked. "I'm not only afraid that you could fall for someone else, I'm also afraid to lose you, to lose what we already have though it's not what I'd like to have. Everytime I'm with you I hope to find a single sign that tells me that you feel something for me, too. But I couldn't find it and so I decided to not tell you."

"T-then why now?"

Chanyeol let out a sigh. "Because today showed me that you very obviously only see me as a friend. You cracking this joke was the confirmation I was waiting for. Maybe not the one I wanted but at least I have one now."

"B-but," Kyungsoo could feel his heart thumping in his chest. "What if I tell you that I only cracked his joke to get a confirmation as well?"

Chanyeol knitted his brows together, deeply frowning. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"I guess it means that we're two idiots who couldn't read each other's signs? Because just like you I waited for a sign that would tell me that you see me as more than just a friend."

Chanyeol's eyes fell close and the frown on his forehead disappeared. "Oh god," he breathed out. "I feel like crying. Really?" He blinked his eyes open again. "You really feel the same?"

Kyungsoo's lips curled into a smile. "If I make you just as giddy as you make me, then yes."

"Why didn't you say something, then?"

"How was I supposed to tell you? I'm not just single, I'm a single parent. I come with an addition, I have Baekhyun."

"Well, you could've tried."

The comment had Kyungsoo gasping. "You could've tried, too," he then spat back at the taller.

Chanyeol laughed out, taking a step towards the other. "Can I hug you?"

"I rather have you kissing me," Kyungsoo said and it had Chanyeol only laughing more.

"Right, me too," chuckling, Chanyeol cupped the smaller's face and pulled him into a kiss. "God, we're really idiots," he mumbled as he loosened the kiss.

Kyungsoo hummed, blinking his eyes open. "We have lot of time to make up for it," he smiled. Baekhyun stirred awake, crying out the second the words had left his mouth. "Okay, maybe later."