The one where Kibum meets Minho

Spirits of Nature

 

Though they usually worked on the same storm cells and lived together, Taemin and Kibum usually didn’t “go to work” together. Kibum would take one side and Taemin the other, for maximum Storm Swirling. Today was not a usual day. Both were feeling a little lazy and decided that giving everyone a somewhat sunny day wouldn’t cause the apocalypse, so instead Kibum was helping Taemin move some clouds around to prep for the next day. After a while, Taemin perked up and got to work setting up a tiny raincloud.

“I thought we weren’t doing any storms today, Taebabe?”

Taemin looked up, then seemed to remember something and went back to work.

“I almost forgot to send rain to my friend so I’m making a cloud now. He’s on a island but he grows pretty flowers and he’s always nice to me so I try to make storms avoid him and send nice rain for his flowers everyday,” he explained.

Kibum stopped moving clouds to stare at Taemin.

“Taebabe, you have friends???”

Taemin glared as he finished the raincloud and sent it on its way.

“Wow way to ignore Jinki’s existence. Also if I don’t have friends what does that make you?”

“I’m your weather brother from another mother obviously????”

Taemin sighed and got back to work moving clouds.

“So when are you going to introduce me to your friends? As your mom I have to know all of your friends.”

“But I thought you just said you were my brother?”

Kibum sighed. “Taebabe, I am all of your relations since it’s just us out here. Anyway where is this island? You said there’s flowers right?”

Taemin laughed. “I’ll show you the island, but you have to promise me something.”

“Tell me and I’ll decide.”

“Well I’ve seen how you flit around and I just want you to know if you break this guy’s heart I will literally strike you with lightning repeatedly.”

Kibum stopped in surprise. It was true that he wasn’t always the most reliable person when it came to love; it wasn’t because he was unable to love or anything, he was just fond of flirting and people never quite seemed to understand him.

“Ok, I guess. I promise to be gentle with this guy. Does he live alone or something?”

Taemin stopped moving clouds and starting floating in a different direction, motioning for Kibum to follow him.

“Yeah actually he does. Jinki and I are the only people he knows apparently.”

“Wow. So is he just like a normal dude that accepts that you guys are like water weirdos or?”

Taemin laughed but didn’t reply.  As they got closer to the island, Taemin went around to see if Minho was outside or in his garden. He had hoped that he would be a tree so that he could scare Kibum but the empty beach suggested Minho was inside. When he reached the bottom limit of his cloud, he hovered and waited for Kibum to catch up.

“He’s inside right now but if we sit right here and kind of move around we might be able to sneak a glance in so you can decide if you can play nice or not,” he explained.

Kibum looked offended for a moment, then shrugged. “Fair enough. So can you see him?”

Taemin searched around the garden for a sign of movement; it was possible that Minho was still a plant. After a minute he came into view.

“Is that him?” Kibum whispered.

“Yeah. He’s probably working on a flower right now.”
“Where’s that raincloud you sent?”

As if it had been waiting to be remembered, Taemin’s raincloud came down low enough to block their view and started.

“Right there,” Taemin said, giggling.

Kibum huffed.

“Come on, we can go visit now. He won’t work if it’s raining.” Taemin explained before jumping off his cloud. While he knew how to get on and off his cloud in an easy and cool manner, jumping off and having Minho carry him back up was definitely the much more fun option. As he walked up onto the beach, he could see Kibum shaking his head. They made their way up to the tree ring and Tae gave the secret knock. Kibum was a little surprised when the vines moved out of the way on their own, but even more shocked when he saw the man inside.

“Taebabe,” he whispered “you didn’t mention how cute your friend is!”

Taemin turned to face Kibum before he entered. “Actually I did, you just weren’t listening for it. Remember that thing I made you promise me?”

“Taemin! You came to see me!” came the call from within. The two boys entered and made their way into the garden.

“Yeah, Minho. I had some extra time on my way home so I thought I’d make stop by and see how your flowers are doing. Is the rain ok?” Taemin replied, hugging Minho.

“Yeah it’s perfect!” Minho replied with a smile. He turned and properly noticed Kibum.

“Minho, this is my friend and weather brother Kibum. He controls the wind and likes flirting.” explained Taemin.

Kibum put his hand out for the usual ‘nice to meet you’ handshake but greeted instead with a hug. Now he understood Taemin’s warning. Fun.

“Hi Kibum. I’m sure Taemin already told you but I’m Minho and I’m the plant guy.” Minho said as he let go. Kibum looked around the room, pretending to be unaffected by the hug.

“Did you grow those yourself??” he asked, pointing at a table full of various blossoms. He walked over to it and began inspecting them without waiting for a response.

“Yeah, they’re all mine. I live here by myself so I’ve been trying to grow the most beautiful flower for a while now. They always turn out pretty, but I never feel satisfied with them.” Minho explained, picking one up.

“They’re gorgeous, Minho”

“Wow, Minho. You must’ve really wowed Kibum. He never says anything is gorgeous!” Taemin exclaimed.

Minho looked between them, a huge smile on his face.

“Really?? You really think so??”

Kibum nodded, still looking at the flowers. Minho beamed for a while, then sat down on a stump nearby. He became really serious and focused on his hands. Taemin tried to see what was going on, but Kibum interrupting him to say something about each flower. After a few minutes Minho let out a sigh and the smile returned to his face.

“Here, Kibum,” he said, holding out a circle of the same sort of flowers. Kibum looked at him, unsure of what he meant.

“It’s for you, since you seem to like them so much. I’ve made the others things when they visit and I’d feel rude if I didn’t give you anything.” he explained. When Kibum didn’t move Minho came around and placed it neatly on his head, arranging his hair gently so it sat right. He then stepped back towards Taemin so they could both admire his handiwork.

“Wow, Kibum it looks so good on you. Minho did a good job.”

Minho looked like he was about to speak as well when a cold wind blew through the garden. Taemin tried not to giggle at Kibum’s antics but Minho, who was naive of the situation, shivered and raced around to make sure everything was still in its place.

“What was that??” he asked, checking the table of flowers.

“Oh that was...my boss. I’m afraid Tae and I have to go. It was really nice meeting you though!” Kibum explained, trying to grab a hold of Taemin.

“See you, Minho!”

Minho looked sad at their parting but waved and said goodbye. Once they were back in the sky and out of earshot, Taemin finally let himself laugh and nearly fell out of his cloud. Kibum looked at him unamusedly, constantly checking to make sure his flower crown wasn’t being blown away.

“It’s not funny, Taemin!” he finally shouted.

“Oh yes it is! You should’ve seen your face! There wasn’t a flower in there that was redder than your face! I’ve never seen so many hearts in your eyes!”

“Did you have to make such a cute friend? I don’t have time for this you know!”

“Well, he certainly has time if you ever find some.”

“Do you think he noticed?”

“Probably not. He’s sweet and overexcited to see people at this point. Maybe if you visit more. He was the same way when I first met him.”

“What did he give you when you went?”

“He gave me plants that don’t need to be in soil to grow. Those plants I have at the hideout.”

“Oh.”