Apologies

Shades of Purple
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Since waking up earlier, Joohyun knows she's up for a tiring and busy day. Their organization is handling an event today and the final preparations are ongoing (excluding the meetings months before). Her Accounting exam just finished a few minutes ago and she didn’t even have the time to mull over her answers or the exam itself, no time to care too much about how much of the questions she got right.

 

Fighting the throbbing of her head, she gathered her things and reached for the door when a notification popped up.

 

+From: Fany unnie

Hey, Hyun! r u done w ur exam? sry 2 bother u this early after those acctg attackzz(!!!) but Johnny caught d flu so sad :(((( so he wasn’t abl 2 bring the boxes here TT every1’s already busy on their stations & we figured ur bldg is d closest 2 his dorm, he left the things outside his door maybe u could get them b4 u come here? Thanx in advance Hyunnie ur d best xoxo

 

After figuring out her Tiffany unnie is not speaking some alien language, squinting and scanning through the message, she finally responded.

 

+Re: Fany unnie

                Sure unnie :)

 

Okay, when Tiffany said boxes, she didn’t think they would be three huge boxes she would have to balance in her arms that would block her vision. Curse you, flu.

 

“Get well, Johnny,” she murmured against the door before doing the task, wincing when she heard the poor guy coughing his lungs out.

 

She neatly piled the boxes on top of each other then carefully cradled them against her body, thankfully they were not as heavy as she imagined. Not even ten steps in when she heard—“Oh sh-“—and before she knew it, her precious babies flew out of her grasp. Sounds of cardboard hitting cement, shuffling paper and metal, and a little squeak (which probably came from her) filled the empty corridor.

 

“So sorry, oh my god. You okay?” A voice called out and broke her from her daze. Only then did she realize her position; slumped on the ground, groaning at the pain on her buttocks.

 

Joohyun is not a pretentious person, not that she can help it. As much as she wanted to say it’s fine to not make the other person guilty, she can’t; it’s just the way she is. Her brain still hurts from the exam and now her is sore from impact, too. It's no wonder she couldn’t help the annoyance that reflected on her face.

 

“I was looking at my phone. I’m very sorry.”

 

‘Does that apology magically heal my ?!’ was what she wanted to shout out but her mind failed to form a coherent reply when she finally had a good look on the culprit’s face.

 

“Woah.”

 

That didn’t come from her. Literally.

 

“Excuse me?” Joohyun managed to squeak out.

 

The careless student is a girl not too far from Joohyun’s height, very hot (though she would not admit that for now). Grey hoodie and pants. Tall nose and expressive eyes even her specs could not hide. Said girl closed her eyes for a moment and visibly shook her head, using her fingers to cover her lips, and failing at silently berating herself for a moment of weakness—embarrassment.

 

Aww, like a cute puppy.

 

“What?”

 

“Eung?”

 

“I thought you said something.”

 

“I—No..? I wasn’t—Oh! You startled me.”

 

In reflex, Joohyun blinked when the other girl’s palm shot up to hit her forehead. “Ah! Son Seungwan, what is the matter with you today?” The latter muttered to herself. “Gosh, where are my manners, I really do apologize, let me help you.” It took a few seconds for the codes in Joohyun’s brain to run and work as needed for her to not stare blankly at the girl’s outreached hand.

 

After finally getting to stand on her feet, her cheeks warmed up when the other girl proceeded to help her dust off her blouse and pants. She chuckled to herself when the girl’s hand paused near Joohyun’s back pocket, looking up at her as if to ask permission. “Thanks, I can take care of that already.”

 

“R-Right… Uh, the name’s Son Seungwan, by the way," the student introduced herself while adjusting her glasses. "Some people call me Wan, Wannie, or by my English name Wendy, Wen, Wendadd—actually no forget the last one, I don’t even know why they call me that. Erase, erase.” Obviously amused, Joohyun stifled a laugh at Seungwan’s quite unusual way of simple introducing herself. “Aside from the last, take your pick on how to address me. How ‘bout you? What’s your name?”

 

Gosh, is it possible for someone to literally be the sun? Those eyes seem to be made up of stardust or whatever galactic entity.

 

Maintain. Eye. Contact. “Um, I’m Joohyun. Bae Joohyun.”

 

“I see. Pretty name for a pretty girl.” Joohyun wasn’t sure if that statement was the reason her heart kept doing somersaults inside her ribcage, or the lopsided smile that accompanied it. Before she could reply, the girl followed up with a question. “Where are you going? May I help you carry these things? I’m not in a rush anyway. To make it up to you.”

 

“Erm, sure. I’m headed to the quadrangle.”

 

“Great! Let’s go!”

 

Joohyun could only giggle and shake her head at the girl’s high enthusiasm. For some reason, she has a good feeling about this one. Maybe it’s not too bad of a day after all.

 

 

 

 

 

Seungwan hates being pushed to her limit. She doesn’t like every bit of this feeling right now. It is very rare that she lets negative emotions engulf her system but this one… Damn this one. It’s testing her patience.

 

“Hey, Wan? Have you seen Joy? She’s like…“

 

Making it out of the maze of sweaty bodies on the dance floor, her best friend heaved a breather in order to talk properly but then again lost track of what she was about to say at the scene in front of them.

 

“Isn’t that—“

 

“I know very well who that is,” Breathing heavily through her nose, Seungwan cut her bestfriend off before she could say her name. No need to slam it in her face. Hearing that name would hammer the nail down her coffin of reality—that it is indeed happening. Because she just could not bear the thought. The girl knows what she feels for her and yet she does this. “Thanks for the concern, Seul.”

 

She hoped the dim lighting of the party would blur her vision, somehow make illusions that it couldn't be her. However, her heart, oh so stubborn, still chooses to see and distinguish Bae Joohyun oh so clearly in the sea of people. Get it together!

 

“You alright?”

 

“Honestly? No.”

 

Seulgi looked at Seungwan with eyes full of worry. She patted the shorter girl’s shoulder. “Crap, sorry. That was a stupid question. Joohyun, the girl of your dreams is dancing and grinding against another girl… I mean, damn, how could you be alright?” Her bestfriend shook her head before taking a gulp from her cup.

 

Seulgi is too cute sometimes. There are times you just want to pinch her cheeks until she can’t feel them. Or pinch her cheeks until the two fingers meet. Like right now. Very tempting.

 

But even though the girl apparently couldn't sense how sour her mood is, she appreciates the care.

 

Seungwan nodded stiffly. “Mmhmm. I know, Seul. It’s literally happening in front of my own eyes. Thanks for verbalizing it for me," she replied, tone overflowing with sarcasm. "Me,” She continued, pointing to herself, eyes never leaving Joohyun and her little dance partner. That uncomfortable weight on her chest worsening by the second. ”…definitely not okay.”

 

She clucks her tongue against her cheek as she watched the (as much as she hated to admit) attractive girl slide her hands up and down (her) Joohyun’s waist.

 

“Who is that girl even?” Seungwan asked Seulgi as she crossed her arms.

 

“Jennie Kim. I heard she’s like… a bad chick, y’know?”

 

I thought you hate bad girls, Hyun. Chugging down a can of beer, Seungwan sulked and slumped against her stool.

 

“Jennie,” she scoffed. “What kind of name is that? Jwenyi, Jinny, Jerry, Judy… Bleh, hard to pronounce.”

 

“Wan, it’s just Jennie, Jen-nie like two syllables, common name?”

 

“Nothing can change my mind—“ Until she saw their faces inches apart. “OHO NO YOU DON’T KISS MY GIRL JENNIE KIM!!!”

 

“Now you say it so easily.” Seulgi guffaws as Seungwan marches off to the girls’ direction.

 

 

 

“Hyun, can we talk?”

 

“Why should I talk to you?” Seungwan’s jaw dropped at the older girl’s nonchalance, panic seeping in. She can’t remember her and Joohyun having an atmosphere as hostile as this before.

 

“Did I do something wrong? Wha—I—I have no clue of what I did that upset you I mean we were okay yesterday when I drove you home b-but whatever it is, I am so sorry—“

 

Her little speech was cancelled when Jennie groaned. “Unnie.” Tapping her foot impatiently, the girl addressed Joohyun but victoriously earned Seungwan's attention as well. “She already came over. Can I have my hundred dollars now?”

 

“Shut it, you,” Joohyun whispered loudly. “Can’t you see we’re…” Raising her eyebrows, she motioned her head toward different directions to which the two other girls narrowed their eyes at, trying to decipher what she’s trying to say.

 

“Pardon me but what exactly is happening here?”

 

“UGH. Fine, here.” Joohyun brought out her purse, took a bill from it, and pushed the paper against Jennie’s chest. With that, she grumpily took off. Here she thought she found the perfect accomplice. What a joke. 

 

Meanwhile, Seungwan, although barely taking in the sequence of events, followed the girl huffing on her way out.

 

“Yah, unnie! This is just fifty!” She heard Jennie call out.

 

 

 

“Seulgi unnie, Joohyun unnie just gave me fifty dollars.”

“Heh, as expected. Are they talking outside right now?”

“I guess.”

“You did well, Jennie. Here’s a hundred for you~”

 

 

 

“Joohyun, wait up.”

 

“What, Seungwan?” The girl sighed heavily before facing the younger girl. “I just looked pathetic right there, didn’t I? Go on, you can laugh.”

 

“You know that’s not what I came here for.” Seungwan found the courage to hold Joohyun’s hands. “Tell me what’s wrong, Hyun.”

 

Unbelievable. Joohyun rolled her eyes. Is she really gonna play stupid with her?

 

“Right. You’re going to act like you weren’t just flirting with Park Sooyoung an hour ago.”

 

“Wha—I wasn’t!”

 

It’s a known fact that Bae Joohyun is beautiful inside and out. She is pretty, yes. Very much so. But she is also pretty without the ‘r’. Very much so. Like when her sister Yeri ate her well-kept chocol

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter