Week Three: Phone Call

Missing

[January 21, 2018; 5:46 PM KST]

"Good evening, listeners, and welcome back to Moonlight Radio. My name is Kim Yeji. Byun Baekhyun is late, like usual--"

[Voice distant, coming closer] "Hey, I'm here, I'm here!"

"Oh, thank you for gracing us with your presence, my king."

"No problem."

[Snorts, rolling eyes] "Anyways, it seems like our readers have voted for us to make the call. In all honesty, I've been...dreading this possibility. I was kind of hoping you'd all vote no." [Laughs] "At least one person is on my side."

[Baekhyun's voice sounds strained] "We wanted to make the call on air. Sehun's finished setting up and, well, we thought maybe hearing it all firsthand would be best for you guys, our precious listeners." 

"We don't...we don't know what to expect from this call and I'd just like to warn you all of this right now, right here, before we start. We don't know who this person is, maybe they're playing a trick on us. Maybe they know something. Maybe, maybe, maybe, that's all I've been thinking this entire week, you know? There's a whole world of maybes that this whole disappearing town situation has opened up and I'm just--"

[Baekhyun reaches out and gentle presses a palm to Yeji's limp hand, leaning forward to speak into his microphone] "Let's begin. Sehun?"


~.~.~.~.~


[Transcript of conversation held at 5:54 PM KST, January 21, 2018

Location: Moonlight Radio, Student Building]

Hello, you have reached Sun Moon Sanitarium and Research Center.

In order to speak to an on-site Manager, please press 1. 

In order to speak to an in-center patient, please press 2.

In order to confirm appointments, please press 3.

In order to [STATIC], please press 6.

For all other questions, please press [STATIC]. 

For all other questions, please press [STATIC]. 

For all other questions, please press [STATIC]. 

For all other [STATIC], please press [STATIC]. 

​​​​​​​For all other [STATICdon'tSTATIC], please press [STATIC]. 

​​​​​​​For all other [STATICdon'tSTATIC], please press [STATICpressSTATIC]. 

​​​​​​​For all other [STATIC]

Press 21.

Sehun: It stopped.

Yeji: What do we press?

Baekhyun: 21.

Sehun: Why?

Baekhyun: I don't know. It just, makes sense?

Yeji: But--but I swear I heard a voice. It said don't and--

Sehun: Personally, I think we should just ing hang up.

Hello? Are you there?

Yeji: Why did that...why did that sound different? Alive?

Baekhyun: You're just...it's parano--

To repeat options, please press 9.

To end call, please press star.

[BEEP] [BEEP]

Yeji: Sehun, what the did you press?

Sehun: I didn't press anything! I swear it just, it beeped.

Baekhyun: I can't believe I'm saying this but I agree with Sehun. This is weird and I have a bad feeling abo--

Number Zero-Zero-Four, welcome back.

Baekhyun: Um...

Yeji: Zero-Zero-Four?

And who are you?

Yeji: Who are you?

[STATIC] I am number Zero-Two-One. [STATIC]

Sehun, whispering: Holy . That sounds like--

Yeji, whispers: Kim Jongdae.

I do not know who Kim Jongdae is. I am Zero-Two-One.

Baekhyun: Um, Jongdae-ssi. What is going on? Where are you?

I am Zero-Two-One. Welcome to Sun Moon Sanitarium and Research Center.

Yeji: Jongdae-ssi. You're a missing person? Why did you--why did you tell us to call you? What do you know about my father? Why are you talking like that?

I am Zero-Two-[STATICdeadSTATIC]-One

Sehun: D...dead?

[STATIC] January twenty-third, twenty eighteen. [STATIC]

Zero-Nine-Four, you have been entered into the database.

Baekhyun: What the does that mean?

Sehun: Yeji, I think we should hang up.

Thank you for calling Sun Moon Sanitarium and Research Center, Zero-Nine-Four.

Yeji: What the hell does that mean? Jongdae-ssi, what does that mean?

[STATICnotnowSTATIC]

We will be in touch soon, Number Zero-Nine-Four.


~.~.~.~.~


Yeji blinks at Sehun, at his furrowed brow and his pursed lips and--there's fear there, hidden well but not well enough. "What did they mean with the number thing?" Sehun asks, his voice soft, barely audible. 

Goosebumps prickle up and down Yeji's arm, her back, and she whispers, "I don't know."

Baekhyun winds an arm around Sehun's waist, squeezing gently despite how small Baekhyun is compared to Sehun. The tension in Sehun's shoulders, in the way he clenches his jaw, settles a bit at the touch. Yeji remembers the ON AIR sigh, remembers that they're still on air, and she takes a deep deep breath before she leans into the microphone and begins speaking. She shuffles through the papers on her desk, until she finds the basic outline and script they set up, but rarely follow completely, for every show. She coughs, softly, and she murmurs, "I...I don't know what to make of that. I really have no idea what just happened?" 

Baekhyun still has an arm curled around Sehun, running a hand up and down his side gently even as he pulls a microphone closer and starts speaking, "It's just--we don't know how to continue this investigation. Usually, usually we'd go to the source. You all know that already though, don't you, dear listeners? We work better on site, but SM Town is different. It's--it's closed off. It's not a crime scene anymore but someone put a lock on the gates and nobody's been in there since the cops left. We have no idea what to do and this call just, it made it worse? More confusing than ever? We'd like to ask you, dear listeners, if we should investigate inside of SM Town. We can get in, Sehun's damn good at breaking and entering, it's kind of worrying how good he is at it."

"Hey." Sehun mutters, "I grew up in an orphanage. You gotta learn these skills early."

"Still worrying." Yeji mutters and Sehun snorts. Baekhyun smiles. She feels a sort of warmth radiating off them, a sense of security she always gets around them, even if--even if that phone call had left a chill running down her back that still hasn't disappeared. She's still unsettled, she thinks they all are. 

"We're going to lay this all out like the first broadcast of this year." Yeji murmurs, tiredly. She drags a hand through her hair. "I think that's going to be the most helpful thing to do right now. We need to find facts. Hard, cold facts. We have some, but we don't have everything, and that's the problem."

"The first question: what is SM Town?" Baekhyun inserts, glancing at Yeji.

Yeji peers at the paper in her hand and reads out, "It's a gated community outside of Pyeongtaek. It was founded in 1987. We--it was originally just a town that sprouted up around a sanitarium." Yeji pauses, her eyes widening because she knew that name sounded familiar. "Sun Moon Sanitarium." She reads it slowly and Sehun stares at her, eyes wide. Baekhyun blinks. Yeji takes a deep breath, "That's--the thing is, they changed the name, in 1990, after one of the physicians that had founded it. They changed the name and--and when we googled it, the original name I mean--there was nothing there, you guys. So I don't understand--I don't know why we received a number that directed us to that place, when there's nothing about it any where except for a brief mention in the current SooMan Hospital and Research Center's wiki page."

Baekhyun takes a deep, deep breath, his gaze landing on Yeji's, and there's worry there as he peers at her, even as he speaks, voice low and soft, "It's like the place never existed."



 

"And--that voice, the voice on the phone, it was POI #3: Kim Jongdae, I swear it was." Yeji's voice is soft. "What did he say, in the recording, Sehun? Do you remember?"

"He said he has the answers we're looking for." Sehun says, the blog pulled up on his computer.

Baekhyun's voice is very, very quiet when he murmurs, still audible over the microphone but so very soft, "Maybe, he does."

"Or, maybe, that wasn't him." Yeji responds, the hairs at the back of her neck standing on end. 


~.~.~.~.~


 

"And to end this broadcast on a lighter note, here's DJ Sehun with an updated Spotify playlist for 2018."

"Aptly named Sehun. Very creative."

"Thanks, I know. Check it out on Spotify, a link will be provided on our blog soon! Thanks!"

[Weekly Recommendations: Heroine by Sunmi]

[LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4qfN5UeFvQ]

 


~.~.~.~.~


 

[Ring, ring, ring]

You have reached the voicemail inbox of Moonlight Radio! Unfortunately, we are currently off air and unable to answer the phone right now. Please, leave a message after the beep and we'll get to it as soon as possible! Thank you so much, lovely listeners, and we look forward to hearing your tips and stories!

[STATIC]

Kim Yeji. 

[STATICpleaseSTATIC]

K i m.

Y e j i.

[STATIC]

Stop while you're ahead.

[STATICdon'tstopSTATIC]

Think of the ones you love, lovely little Kim Yeji.

[STApleaseTIC]