Introduction: Everything We Know So Far

Missing

 [12:58PM KST]

[Opening piano jingle fades away]

"Welcome back to Moonlight Radio, dear listeners. Is it really Sunday already? Is a week really so short? What do you think, our dearest, mochiest Mochi?"

"When will you stop trying to make Mochi happen?"

"I asked you a question, Mochi."

"You're the worst, Yeji."

"Ha! Says the one who lied about seeing dorm ghosts just so he wouldn't have to pick his best friends up from the karaoke bar at two in the morning."

"Okay, first of all, you and Sehun? My best friends? Sounds fake. Second, it was two in the morning. Third, we're going off topic, again, and Sehun's currently giving us the evil eye. We're supposed to wrap this up quickly."

"See, everyone? He's really the worst. He's even antagonizing Sehun. Our baby."

[Muffled shut up, Yeji, you're embarrassing me followed by laughter]

"Anyways, before Sehun learns the art of karate kicking us in the face through telepathy, I'd like to agree. I can't believe it's already been a week. My brain is aware of how short it seemed, yet my heart...my heart has missed you all so deeply, dear listeners."

[Silence]

"God, don't."

[Faint, distant gross! can be heard]

"Why are you both glaring at me? This is bullying!"

"Shut up, Baek." [Clears throat and chuckles softly, voice amused] "Anyways, where was I? Oh, yes. I know you've all been looking forward to the second half of our segment on the Gonjiam Psychiatric Hospital. Sehun lost his voice from screaming so much during our visit." [Loud laughter and a faint hey in the distance] "But, in light of recent events on campus, Mochi and I--we're going to investigate these disappearances."

[Sighs] "People keep disappearing. It's a new year, but we're still dealing with it.

"And not just in Seoul, but all over the country."

"Yeah. We've been looking into it, but never did I think it'd happen here, of all places. I think--Yeji and I think--that the police--they're not putting nearly enough effort into these cases. And now--now Park Chanyeol is..."

"Baek--"

"He's gone and the police closed the case too early. Twenty four hours. That's it. That's [bleep]ing it. That's all they bothered with, for [bleep] sakes."

[Silence, long and drawn out]

[Whispers quietly, previous amusement gone] "We're going to look into this and each week, Baek and I will share our findings with you all, dear listeners. Throughout the week, we'll compile all our social media posts and keep all of you guys updated on what we've figured out. I'm not sure--god, I doubt we'll even find anything. But we have to try. For Chanyeol's sake, we have to try."

"Please help us. All you have to do is listen and report anything you hear or believe to be true. Anything."

[Yeji takes a deep, deep breath] "So, let's begin with what we already know..."

 


~.~.~.~.~


[Tweet image: Korea Times @KTBreakingNews: "At least 23 college-aged students reported missing in the last 3 months of 2017. Cases are still under heavy investigation, authorities said. ARTICLE LINK]

 


~.~.~.~.~


 

Missing Student's Hometowns [NOTE: All victims were attending a university in South Korea at time of disappearance]

 


~.~.~.~.~


[Transcribed from television interview, Daegu, November 19, 2017, 3:04AM]

119 Operator: 119, what is your emergency?

Victim (Later identified as Bae Irene, 26): [static]

Operator: Hello?

Irene: [unidentifiable muttering]

Operator: Hello? Hello?

Irene: ....help

Operator: Miss?

Irene: ..............help

Operator: Miss, I need you to tell me where you are. Can you do that for me?

Irene: They're here. They're here. [laughter turns into soft sobs] They're ing here. I don't want to go there. Please. Please, h..help me, I don't want to go with them. Not again. Not again not again not again not again please, PLEA--STAY THE AWAY FROM ME. [unidentafiable shrieking, clanging]

[glass breaks]

[high pitched screaming, gurgling]

Irene: STAY AWAY

Operator: Miss! I need you to calm do--

Irene: [soft, but heavy breathing].........they're here.

[Silence.]

Operator: Miss...?

Irene: [crying] That place...that--

[Call disconnected]

 


~.~.~.~.~


The last of the recording echoes in the room.

"This was...the least disturbing of the 119 calls we've found of the victims." Baekhyun drums his fingers against the table, a nervous habit of his, as he adjusts the mic in front of him.

Yeji shuffles the papers in front of her, her hand stilling over Park Chanyeol's 119 call transcription. She looks up at Baekhyun, though his gaze seems to be pinned on the papers under her hand. "I will posting all these transcriptions to our website, but, please do keep in mind that discretion is advised. It's...it's terrifying."

Baekhyun sits back, closing his eyes, "The ones who were lucky, or unlucky, depending on how you see it, enough to get to a phone all spoke of the same thing."

"A place."

Baekhyun finally meets her eyes. "Yeah." Then he looks away and she thinks he looks too tired, "I don't know why the police are still investigating whether it's all connected, especially when these 119 calls--all public records, by the way--are clearly connected. First, they all speak of a place they don't want to go to. Second, there's a they who's trying to," Deep breath, "Kill them? Hurt them? Take them away?"

"And, third, the victims are all university students. They're all undergrad or grad students." Yeji tacks on.

Baekhyun hums in agreement, his voice low, "What do you think, dear listeners? Where should we look first? What are your suggestions? Yeji, any thoughts?"

Yeji shakes her head, "I have no idea."

He snorts, "Then what are you good for?"

Yeji kicks his shin and he grins, all teeth, before puckering his lips at her. She rolls her eyes. 

Sehun taps on the glass, raising a brow. 

"As usual, Baekhyun is the worst and DJ Oh Sehun has a new playlist for all you lovely listeners out there. Hopefully, DJ Oh Sehun's gotten over his heartbreak and we'll finally get upbeat songs. DJ Sehun, go off man."

Sehun scowls at her, gives her a vindictive eyebrow raise, and she knows he's going to play a depressing ballad just to spite her. She makes a face at him. He snickers.

 


~.~.~.~.~


 "Is that Haru Haru? Do you want me to cry?"

"And we're live in 3..."

"Haru Haru, Baekhyun! Why did you have to teach Sehun what inflicting pain and suffering is? You've ruined him!"

Baekhyun laughs, cackles really, and she smiles a bit because the tired, sad look in his eyes disappears for just a moment. 

"2...I'm not a baby, Yeji. I know what being mean is"

"Clearly, you monster."

"...1, go!"

Yeji's phone lights up.

Mom, it says. She sends her to voicemail.

"So, obviously, the--"

Yeji's phone lights up, again. 

Mom, it says, again.

Baekhyun frowns at her, picking up where she left off so smoothly it almost seems scripted. "There are more questions than answers right now. But we have you guys, dear listeners, dear loves of my life, my babies..."

Baekhyun raises a brow at her in question.

Mom, it says, again and again. Mom. Mom. Mom.

Yeji blinks. Her stomach churns. 

She pushes her chair back and picks up the phone, turning her mic off, Baekhyun eyeing her incredulously the whole time he speaks. 

Sehun raises two hands in exasperation and mouths what the are you doing?

Her mom's voice is rough, scratchy. She sounds like she's in pain, somehow, even when she murmurs just one word, her name. "Yeji."

Her mother sounds like she's harvested a thousand years worth of pain into two lousy syllables. It feels like someone's taken a hammer to Yeji's heart.

She's afraid to continue the conversation, but Baekhyun is just blabbering now and Sehun--he doesn't look mad anymore, he looks worried, too worried.

"Mom?" She croaks out. "Mom, what's wrong?"

"It's your dad." She says, her voice shaking. "Come home. Come home, right now. We need to--to talk."

She hasn't seen her dad in years, hasn't spoken or heard from him in almost two years, but she still gets up for him, still feels for him. She knows he doesn't deserve it, but she still feels so, so much.

"Yeji?" Baekhyun blinks at her, his kind eyes wide, his nose scrunched up in confusion.

She opens , but no sound comes out. She spins on her heels and she pushes past a worryingly concerned Oh Sehun. She runs home. 

She runs home and her mother says, with tears in her eyes and an angry set to her jaw. 

"Your father is dead." Her mother grits her teeth, "They want us to make funeral arrangements."


~.~.~.~.~


"Sorry, dear listeners, but it seems like there's been a bit of an emergency. We'll need to end today's show early. We'll take your calls next week, for sure. I apologize once again and stay warm, loves, it's cold as hell out there."


~.~.~.~.~


 

 


~.~.~.~.~


 

[From: MOONLIGHTRADIO.SU.EDU]

[Notice]

DEAR LISTENERS,

DO YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS? COMMENTS? OBSERVATIONS, TIP OFFS, CONCERNS, ETC?

PLEASE LEAVE A MESSAGE (DOWN BELOW) AND MOONLIGHT RADIO WILL TRY TO ANSWER THEM. WE APOLOGIZE ONCE AGAIN FOR CUTTING THE SHOW SHORT TODAY. 

THANK YOU

LOVE, MOONLIGHT RADIO

PS. IF YOU CALL ME MOCHI I'M BLOCKING YOU :)

 

 



a/n: AND IT'S DONE! these are so fun to make i'm not gonna lie lol. but yeah, as a side note, if you have any questions, concerns, observations, regarding the story you can ask it @ baekhyun and yeji or @ moonlight radio and they might be answered in the fic. I wanted to make it like they're taking reader's calls and stuff so that's real! future chapters will have polls too! Anyways THANK YOU SO MUCH TO EVERYONE I LVOE YOU GUYS SO MUCH KSDKJN the support is so sweet you guys are the best!!!!!!!!!! this fic feels so...uncomfy to write because it's just weird and out there for me lmao. 

xoxo