2/2

The Bond Beyond One Life
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

 

It was a warm day and a group of friends was having a picnic in a park, laughing and sharing funny stories. They talked about how one friend embarrassed the other or how one helped another. They were content and having fun, that’s for sure.

 

“I remember when that old lady thought you were flirting with her just because you smiled, Min! Your face when she winked was priceless.” A boy among the group laughed when he remembered it, making Minho wince and hide his face behind his hands.

 

“Don’t mention that! I didn’t know what to do because it looked like she was about to come to me. I was lucky you came and saved me! Not the best first meeting but it worked just fine, seeing that we’re still friends.” Minho said after a while, grinning at the boy next to him.

 

“Yes, I guess that half of us shared funny first meeting.” Said a girl sitting in front of Jinki who was eating.

 

“It’s weird, but kind of true, isn’t it?” another girl chuckled while handing a napkin to Jinki.

 

“It’s not that weird. Come on, guys! Beautiful friendships form from a meeting where you can laugh.” Jonghyun was currently lying on his side on the blanket, playing with grass close to Kibum’s leg.

 

“Pfft, of course you would say it, oppa. You tend to make meetings like that.” A red haired girl said playfully, making everyone else chuckle in agreement.

 

“Not true.” Jonghyun huffed, almost pouting as he pulled on the grass which made Kibum chuckle.

 

“Of course it is. Do you remember when we first met? You told me, a boy, I was pretty and that I should be your friend. You were so damn hyper, Jjong.” Kibum laughed, nudging the said boy.

 

“And you don’t even know everything yet! We were there when he saw you.” A girl leaning against another boy laughed.

 

Jonghyun looked up quickly, widening his eyes because he remembered that day very well. “Don’t you dare..” he said, sitting up abruptly but the girl just stuck out her tongue and started talking.

 

 

 

 

 

Fourteen years old Jonghyun was sitting on the stairs in front of his house, talking to his friends when a van pulled up to the house next to his own. He was curious to see what was happening but he didn’t expect a boy to jump out of the car, smiling and nodding to whomever was sitting there.

 

It was like some kind of pull on Jonghyun’s heart. He saw that beautiful smile, those unique eyes and he could almost swear that the boy was glowing.

 

“So pretty.” He said dreamily and he had this weird urge to go up to the boy and hug him because he missed him so much. Which was weird considering that this was the first time he has seen him.

 

Jonghyun’s friends looked at him, confused, but seeing the other boy they chuckled.

 

“He is, indeed. New neighbor?” a boy asked when he saw that some people opened the back door of the van and started taking out things.

 

“Probably..?” Jonghyun said and he couldn’t take his eyes off the boy.

 

His friends seemed to notice and nudged him, the girls giggling at his expression.

 

“Uh, I just.. maybe I should go greet him? Since he’s new and all. He must feel lonely if he just moved here.” He said sincerely and his friends could only smile.

 

The boy had really kind heart and always tried to help people around him.

 

“Then go talk to him?” one of girls said and raised her eyebrows when she noticed how Jonghyun bit his lip and looked down for a moment.

 

Jonghyun was always a confident and kind of shameless guy so seeing him like this was weird.

 

“What’s wrong, hyung?”one of the boys asked.

 

Jonghyun looked up with sheepish smile and rubbed the back of his head. “I.. feel too hyper. I feel like I would jump on my feet and ramble a lot while talking to him. I don’t know why. And I wouldn’t want to creep him out.”

 

A girl next to him chuckled and patted his shoulder. “It’s okay, really. There’s nothing wrong with being excited.”

 

“Yup, she’s right. Come on, Jonghyun, you act like you have a crush or something.” Another boy chuckled, obviously joking.

 

“Nooo..” the said boy whined. “But what if he doesn’t like me? I want to be friends.” He groaned and ruffled his brown hair.

 

“He’ll like you, oppa. You’re the person who’s gonna greet him warmly, after all. And you’re an amazing friend. If we see that you’re in a trouble we’ll come help.” A blonde girl grinned, showing her not so perfect but still cute teeth.

 

“Yes, go. Or else I’ll go and say you’re crushing on him.” A boy threatened, making a gesture of standing up.

 

“Fine! God. I’m going.” Jonghyun said, jumping to his feet and glaring at his friends although he was thankful and they knew it.

 

He was almost bouncing on his feet as he walked toward the pretty boy, and the closer he got, the warmer his heart got and the more excited he became. Once he stopped next to him and the boy looked at him, all nerves seemed to disappear and he grinned widely.

 

“Hey! I’m Kim Jonghyun, welcome here.” He said and the latter looked surprised and hesitant at first but then he bowed politely.

 

“Hi. I’m Kim Kibum. And thank you.” He smiled and Jonghyun almost cooed because, god, he had dimples!

 

“you’re so pretty, Kibum. And cute. You should be my friend! I heard that I’m a great friend and I promise I’ll take care of you.” Jonghyun said, not minding how Kibum’s face went from bewilderment, surprise and doubt to shyness and then amusement.

 

“You.. just called me pretty.”

 

“You are.” The older boy nodded with puppy-like expression which was cute in Kibum’s opinion.

 

“And you said you will take care of me.”

 

“I will.” The boy nodded again, oblivious to mischievous smile on Kibum’s face.

 

“Sounds like you’re confessing to me, Jonghyun.”

 

“I am- Wait, what!”Jonghyun was half way to agree when he registered his words, making him widen eyes and shake his head quickly. “I- no, wait! I didn’t mean- I mean, you’re pretty but- Ah, no- It’s just!” he was stuttering, clearly flustered and he stopped only when Kibum burst out laughing, clapping his hands.

 

“Oh my, you’re so funny!” Kibum gasped, still laughing.

 

The shorter boy realized that he was just messing with him and whined, nudging Kibum’s side as if they knew each other for a long time.

 

It took Kibum some time to actually calm down and then he smiled brightly. “Okay, let’s be friends.”

 

And that, they were. They spent a lot of time together, getting to know each other and soon they were frequently visiting each other’s houses, becoming best friends. Kibum had no troubles to adjust and get friendly with Jonghyun’s friends either which made the said boy happy.
Yes, he was right to approach Kibum that day.

 

 

 

 

“That does sound like a crush to me, hyung.” Taemin said, grinning as he teased his friend.

 

The group of friends laughed but only Jonghyun groaned and hid his face.

 

“Aaw, Jjong, don’t be embarrassed. I was very thankful that day, you know? I was afraid I wouldn’t find any friends so easily but you came and I had nothing to worry about.” Kibum said sincerely, making Jonghyun to look up and smile happily.

 

There was something about that moment and those words which kept nudging Kibum’s heart but he had no idea what it was. This feeling was so familiar yet so weird to him that he let it go.

 

“Okay, before this gets awkward, let me just tell you that my meeting with Jinki was even more ridiculous.” A girl with short hair spoke.

 

Jinki laughed right a way and nodded. “I felt so sorry and embarrassed.” He chuckled and seeing curious looks from the other he cleared his throat.

 

“I was finally old enough to buy myself alcohol so with my new found power- YES, I was that delighted, Minho-“ Jinki stuck out his tongue at the boy who was laughing before he continued speaking. “So, with my new found power I went to a store and bought a box of beers. It was pretty heavy and when I was waiting in a line I spotted this chocolate. So I turned around and saw a.. guy standing behind me. He looked too pretty but my eyes were set on a chocolate so I just..”

 

“So he just the box into my hands, saying ‘Man, hold these for me for a while?’ and without a word he left for chocolate. My hands were freaking dying and I was too surprised that he called me a man to even say a word! The box nearly fell from my hands but luckily, he came and took it. The cashier threw him a dirty look, saying that he shouldn’t let his girlfriend carry such a heavy thing. The look on his face was just..” the girl laughed loudly and her friends joined her.

 

“I was so confused! I was like, excuse me? And when I turned around I noticed that the guy was actually this beauty and I kept apologizing for fifteen minutes before she agreed to share the beer and chocolate with me. We’re friends ever since.” He chuckled.

 

There was a sound of phone ringing among the group and a guy checked his phone. “Ah, the practice. Guys, we gotta go.” He said and almost half of the group stood up, sighing.

 

“Go on to the house, well catch you there later.” A girl said with smile and gave keys to Jinki.

 

“Okay, bye.”

 

“Be careful.”

 

They said their goodbyes and suddenly, there were only about ten people left in a park.

 

“I don’t get why the dance competition has this age condition. Tae would blow their minds.” Kibum said while gathering things into the picnic basket.

 

“It’s okay, hyung. I don’t need to go to any competitions. I dance because I like it.” Taemin, the youngest boy of them all smiled.

 

“I know. But still..” Kibum sighed but smiled nonetheless when he saw Taemin’s smile.

 

“Besides, he wanted to compete once, Kibum. And it ended up badly. He was so hard on himself that he got hurt.”Minho said and started folding blankets with Taemin after all of them stood up.

 

“but I met you that hyung. So it’s okay.” He grinned and all of them chuckled when they saw how Minho practically melted, having a  soft spot for the boy.

 

“That’s right, you met that day. I remember how Kibum almost wanted to kill you for hurting his cousin.” Jonghyun laughed at the memory.

 

 

 

 

Things weren’t going the way Taemin wanted. He signed up for a dance competition which was only one week away and he still didn’t have a proper choreography. Oh, he made many but each time he finished he felt like he needed to change something and make it better. No matter how many times his friends said it was perfect, he wasn’t satisfied. And that’s why he was here, in a public dance studio, making all sorts of dance moves although he was very exhausted and his legs barely listened to him.

 

It was in one moment that a very cool idea popped on his mind and he tried to make the move he imagined in his head when his legs gave up on him and he fell. It was an ugly fall because the boy was too close to the bench which resulted in him hurting his side as well as his ankle. He groaned in pain and stayed on the floor when a concerned voice echoed through the studio.

 

“Oh my, are you okay?” a tall (even for his age) handsome boy ran up to Taemin, bending down as if they knew each other.

 

When Taemin didn’t answer because he was too surprised the boy gently laid his hand on Taemin’s ankle which made him hiss. “I’m sorry, does your ankle hurt? I think it’s starting to swell. Did you hurt yourself anywhere else as well?” the boy asked and looked at Taemin with those big brown eyes.

 

Taemin didn’t know why he suddenly felt comfortable. Was it even possible? For them to just click? They just met, after all. But he didn’t have a time to think about it because the throbbing in his ankle and his side was becoming worse and worse so he just winced in pain and nodded, pointing to his side. The taller boy pursed his lips and looked concerned before he hummed, nodding his head.

 

“Okay. Here, let me help you to stand up and then we’ll slowly go to the hospital.” the boy said and prepared to lift young Taemin up.

 

The latter didn’t have a time to react because long arms circled around his waist and lifted him up gently and effortlessly. It seemed like the boy was strong. Or Taemin was very light.

 

“Who are you, really?” Taemin asked as the boy gathered up his stuff and came to support him.

 

“I’m your savior, of course!” the boy exclaimed, sending Taemin wide smile which was seriously beautiful and made his face lit up.

 

Taemin couldn’t help but roll his eyes and chuckle as they slowly started walking out of the studio – Taemin was mostly just leaning against the other boy because his leg hurt too much.

 

“Sure. Come on, I’m serious! How did you appear here? Playing a hero and all?”

 

This time it was the taller boy’s turn to laugh, not forgetting to warn Taemin to be careful while walking. “My name is Choi Minho and I was just pas

Please log in to read the full chapter